Start by marking “Submitting to the Marquess” as Want to Read:

(Château Debauchery #4)

A night at the Château Debauchery might provide this Regency miss more wicked pleasure than she can handle...

Mildred Abbott is a proper Regency miss, but she cannot deny the dark desires that torment her body in the quiet of night. Engaged to an uninspiring sycophant, she asks the influential nephew of her patroness in debauchery to interfere and break her engagement.
Published August 16th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Submitting to the Marquess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Submitting to the Marquess

Start your review of Submitting to the Marquess
Coco.V
Dec 04, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
💝 FREE on Amazon today (12/04/2017)! 💝
Steelwhisper
The BDSM was, like so often, not consensual, lacking important factors for a valid consent. I doubt it was very realistic for that era, either, and in general it and the sex didn't do anything for me.

I liked the characters however, even Alastair, though I could have done with less of the "typical rake" trope. I'd read a fully evolved romance with these people, but as it is, this story was barely okay, because far too short and far too BDSM-centric.
Katherine Locke
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Again! No HEA on a single book should come with a warning! Come on, now. This is not what I signed up for.

(My last twenty four hours of reading could be summed up as AUTHORS TRYING TO MESS WITH READER EXPECTATIONS AND IT BACKFIRES TERRIBLY. I do this too, authors, but like...this wasn't even a HFN.)
RedL.
3 Let's be wanton Stars

Buddy read with the Romance/Erotica Politically Unsafe group.

Tons of tropes, a language use that could easily scare many away and a lot of scenes that made me wonder how realistic or possible certain practices even were, but I got sucked in very easily.

I liked Mildred and Andre together and apart, even with all the cliches. I was super annoyed by how unattractive she saw herself and was described, she was perfectly fine for me, but I was very proud of her for fully
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Hmm

Just ok. As far as historical fiction is wasn't the best. The writer tried to use old English but mixed it with current wording.
H is alright, supposed to be handsome and rakish. The h is described as not attractive with few endearing qualities.
As far as the interaction between the two at the "chateau" the h came across as desperate and begging for it instead of enticing the H. It did not interest me enough to want to read the next one.
Theresa
Jun 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
BR with Romance/Erotica Politically Unsafe GR group. This book ended with an unfinished story line. There are 2 more installments that follow this couple. This book was free on Amazon but the other two books are listed for $4.99 and $0.99. I don't like getting baited.

The writing was too heavy with historical period vocabulary and wording. I prefer contemporary writing with period conversations. The BDSM and sex were mediocre. Kudos for a strong independent minded heroine who owned her sexuality.
Chitra *CJ*
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
So I really enjoyed this wicked night of debauchery between Millie and her Ward Andre in Chateau Debauchery. Historical eroticas are one genre not explored much, but every wicked tale catches my interest.
This didn't end in a HEA, so I can't wait to read more.
Sinfully good.
3.75/5
Debbie
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: not-jaff
BDSM, so definitely not for everyone.

Although it's Book 4 in the Chateau Debauchery series, it can be read as a stand-alone.

There's a lot more to the story than just sexual titillation, and I was drawn to the characters of Miss Mildred Abbott and Andre d'Aubigne, the Marquess of Alastair. They're given interesting personalities and an intriguing premise.

Mildred is betrothed to a dull, uninteresting man and wishes she wasn't but needs assistance to break it. Lady Katherine, who is aware that
Soo
Jun 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, freebies
2.5 Stars

The story is entertaining and I like the main characters but the backstory is completely unbelievable. The writer is good. Which is why it's harder to understand why certain parts are well done and others aren't. I really liked Alistair and Millie quite a bit. They're both fiery individuals. Yet, due to how well the present was written, it was really hard to believe in the flimsy background story for Millie.

An entertaining, light read and another book off of my TBR pile.
Suzannah
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I wasn't thrilled with this book. I think it is well written; however, I'm just not into the erotic romance stuff. Pain and sex remind me of menopause. yikes. But I'm sure there are people who would enjoy it. I got it for free from a Bookbub deal. So...I tried it....but probably won't stroll through that BDSM park again. Plus all those initials....
Fiordiligii
Lord have mercy the writing style made me bonkers. DNF
Rainer Prem
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good story, but ending much too early.

After a rather complicated introduction into the three characters we get a believable insight into the mind of an English Marquess concerning the reputation of his cousin ("not by blood" is repeated several times) whom he finally spanks and fucks. I can't see the element of non-consent other commenters noted. She is the one asking - sometimes begging - for the action.

I was disappointed when the story stopped without an end by ~75% of the book's length, and
Maddie
Jun 10, 2017 rated it liked it
That's it? Why make it into more than one book? I liked the fact that Millie isn't afraid to let her passion be known, and that she knows exactly what she wants. Should be interesting to find out what happens next
Space Cowgirl
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Rapture💋

Millie💋👗 is betrothed to a man she doesn't want in this period novel📕 set in England. She is settling for a man she doesn't want because her family demands it and since she isn't the most beautiful woman💋 and her family isn't rich, she feels she has no choice. As soon as she agrees, she realizes Her mistake and wants out of the betrothal agreement.
Her rougish cousin by marriage is Andre Alastair, a Marquess, a rich womanizer and self pledged playboy bachelor🐺🍌🌋👋💪. He had generously
Lovingly, Chele'
It was a quick read that could have easily been given 4 stars if not for a few issues.

First, this seemed more like a part of a serial story than part of a series. While the beginning gave the impression it could stand alone (or simply be part of an actual series of stories of interconnected characters), the ending felt... stilted. It seemed like I had come to the end of a chapter rather than the end of the book, making me think "ugh, serial" rather than "oooo, I can't wait to find the next
Cora lee loy-olazabal
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hot stuff coming thru.

When faced with an engagement she does not want, but can not get out of, Millie takes her pleasure into her own hands so to speak. She asked her cousin who provided the money for her dowry in the first place to second it. She knows her finance will back out of the engagement of the money is no longer there. However, her benefactor says no. She faced a life married to a man who doesn't love her and fumbles when he kissed her hand. Now for a common not to bright and sexually
Book Monitor
This was OK but nothing special. It is clearly one of a series and although that doesn't detract from this particular tale it does feel a bit unfinished. The story revolves around Millie, and her cousin by marriage the Marquess of the title.
There is some rather unerotic sex and a strange mix of modern idiom and attempts at historical accuracy in both language and style which doesn't quite gel.
I felt there was a total lack of chemistry between them, and no emotional depth to the story.
Having
Sarah Hamilton
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
It Was Trying too Hard

I realize this is only a novella, but as my first taste of Em Brown's work, I wasn't overly impressed. It was trying to be a BDSM storyline in the Regenecy era, but it fell short on both accounts. It tried to be in Regency England (& did better than some authors), yet it honestly could have occured in any era. The more erotic scenes seemed lack luster and a little clumsy. And I got ridiculously tired of the reminder that Millie and Alistair were cousins 'by marriage'
Steve Thorne
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. You tend to want to associate BDSM with modern society, or at least that sex in earlier centuries were not as adventurous but Em has revealed a wonderfully wicked experience in an era of propriety.
I only wished E. L. James had this before venturing into her own books.
I do hope that Mildred and Alistair come together in future writings as they are provocative. Also, it would be nice to learn more about the stable hand.
I am looking forward to more from Ms. Brown in the future.
N.N. Light
Feb 24, 2020 rated it liked it
I got this as a freebie and while I know I was in the middle of the series, the ending was crap and I didn't care for you. I get that it's a series but at least have a little wrap up to what I just read.

Otherwise, this was a five-star HOT historical romance. Light on the BDSM. The characters I enjoyed very much.

My Rating: 3 stars
Alice
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it
interesting twist to regency romance

thanks to warning notes--reader is aware of sexual nature of book

but characters are engaging and plot just convoluted enough so reader doesn't have to pay too much attention to sexual events (yes you can read through/skip such scenes)

would expect a "sweet" version would be appreciated and enjoy wide readership
Sandi
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Submitting to the Marquess

Loved the story but hated the fact that now I have to spend considerable sum to find out ending. Well there goes another book down the drain unfinished. Ms Brown may write an interesting story but when one lives in a budget expensive books are out. Sorry Ms Brown not recommending this to others unless they're not in book budget.
Sharon Eikenberry-Deary
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Winning desires before an arranged marriage

Millie's aunt knows she is not marrying the right man. Her aunt will be going to see a friend and Millie is ask to come along. First her aunt will drop her off for one night to get her desired meet as the bethorthed will not be able to do. Will she get her desires fulfilled
Soccergypsy
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another brilliant episode at "Chateau Debauchery". I truly enjoy the stories that inhabit this locale. The characters are quite lively and engaging and I often find myself cheering along the sidelines as the couple overcomes their obstacles. I cannot wait to read more about "Millie". She is a spit-fire!
Diane Pope
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Women's liberation

I truly enjoy the historical romance novels. The rules of polite society makes the romance that much more steamy. The interaction between Millie and Alistair was exciting. The scenes at the chateau were awesome. I will read more of this series. I can't wait to see where it goes. Thanks for a good read.
Gayla McNicholas
Jan 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
1 story 3 books

Good story, too bad it is incomplete and requires the purchase of another book to get the rest of the story. But, wait, there's another book to buy if you want the epilogue in which she has second thoughts on the marriage. I hate this kind of marketing.
Booklovinglady
Started out very funny. Not at all sure it was meant to be, but it was nevertheless. Unfortunately the story ended in sort of a cliffhanger (and to say I don't like cliffhangers would be an understatement).
Tia
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cliffhanger but....

....Good writing. Even better than the first two books. Thinking her fiance will not be up to snuff in the boudoir, Millie ventures out for one last hurrah. She is saved from her folly by an unexpected person - her benefactor.
Sally Hannoush
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
An erotic point of view in Historical "Romance." People aren't always as they seem or are they? A good quick read- but it's only the start. There is more to come in this story in the next installment. Worth looking forward to.
Charace Z
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story was good except I didnt realize it wasnt a complete stand alone book. I wish it had ended better with whether the lovers ended up with each other. I truly enjoy the happily ever after stories. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Her Gilded Prison (Daughters of Sin #1)
  • Surrendering to the Rake
  • Masquerade (Scandalous Ballroom Encounters, #1)
  • Submitting to the Marquis (Scandalous Ballroom Encounters, #4)
  • The Wedding Affair (Rebel Hearts, #1)
  • Hannah's Duke (The Heir and a Spare #4)
  • Secrets to a Gentleman's Heart (Gentlemen of Intrigue, #1)
  • Loving the Marquess (Landing a Lord, #1)
  • Bound by the Earl (Lords of Discipline, #2)
  • The Seduction of Lord Stone (Dashing Widows, #1)
  • Chills (Distinguished Rogues, #1)
  • Lord Lightning (Astrology, #1)
  • The Countess and the Rake: A Super Hot Historical Romance
  • An Indecent Wager
  • Training Lady Townsend (Properly Spanked, #1)
  • Obsession Wears Opals (Jaded Gentleman, #5)
  • Intrigued (The Dark Christmases Trilogy Book 1)
  • The Duke's Mistress (Regency Unlaced, #1)
After accidentally flashing the audience with her knickers, Em Brown decided that writing was a safer activity. She enjoys writing romance, particularly erotic historicals. For more about her works, visit www.EroticHistoricals.com.

Château Debauchery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Submitting to the Rake
  • Submitting to Lord Rockwell
  • Submitting to His Lordship (Chateau Debauchery Book 3)
  • Submitting for Christmas
  • Submitting for Christmas: The Epilogue
  • Submitting to the Baron: A Romantic Historical Erotica (Chateau Debauchery Book 7)
  • Submitting to the Baron, Part II: A Romantic Historical Erotica (Chateau Debauchery Book 8)
  • Submitting to the Baron, Part III: A Romantic Historical Erotica (Chateau Debauchery Book 9)
  • Submitting to the Baron, Part IV: A Romantic Historical Erotica (Chateau Debauchery Series Book 9)
  • Submitting to the Baron, Part V: A Romantic Historical Erotica (Chateau Debauchery Book 9)