Start by marking “Why the Future is Workless” as Want to Read:
Why the Future is Workless

Why the Future is Workless

Even as the robots gather on the near horizon this book argues we have choices about the manner in which we greet them. A world without work as we know it could be a good thing.

The landscape of work is changing right in front of us, from Uber, Airbnb and the new share economy to automated vehicles, 3D printing and advanced AI. The question isn’t whether robots will take ou
Published September 1st 2016 by NewSouth

To ask other readers questions about Why the Future is Workless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why the Future is Workless

Andrew Carr
Sep 24, 2016 rated it liked it
It’s 9:29pm on a Friday night. I’ve had dinner, watched a movie, and finished a glass of wine. And yet two minutes ago, I sat down at my computer and checked my work email.

Everywhere we look, computers are changing the face of work. We are plugging them into existing machines so they can drive themselves. We are custom building machines to enable them to manufacture everything from iPods to houses. And mere software itself is replacing human workers, spitting out stock reports or providing medi
John
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book isn't exactly what you'd call a page turner. It's dry, it's very academic and pedestrian in most parts. But it offers some unique and interesting views of where we might be headed, and how we might sustain ourselves when we get there. It's a book about capitalism, neoliberalism, and government's role in our economy and our lives. If that sounds like a very wide swath filled with generalities, the fact is that it's not, really.

Dunlop talks about the difference between "labor" and "work
Andrew Ma
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I picked this up I thought it would be the typical uncritical celebration of an automated future. The Keynsian idea of an increasingly productive economy creating a life defined by leisure, rather than work, facilitated by technology is a common topic. But it is most often advocated from technologists who have great difficulty in conceiving of a world outside the framework of a consumer economy.

This book offers a far more interesting critique of possibilities brought about by the inevitabil
Martin Rees
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Writes wistfully of the ancient Greeks: why we should embrace robots and apps as our digital slaves, freeing us to pursue ennobling 'non-work' activities. Forceful thesis for a basic minimum income. Like a lot of writing around tech and innovation, little exploration of the implications of developments in health / medicine.
Kerri Jones
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it
A really interesting book on the future of work but a lot of it really did go over my head. However I did learn a lot of new words like "neoliberalism". I'm not sure that the theories of the book will end up in our economy having the political climate that we have but it will be interesting to see where it ends up in say 50 years time.
Mark
Sep 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
3.5/5.
I'll start by saying that I wholeheartedly agree with his assessment of the current state of affairs. The proposal of the author is that eventually robots will replace most jobs, leaving us to do with our time as we wish, with a fundamental income provided by the government. Work on top of that is optional. Now, I'm quite open to the idea of a change to the current norms. I am certainly of the opinion that the neoliberal system is leading us to an eventual demise. I agree that the inequali
Darren
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this look at the past, present and possible future of work, and the political and economic systems that shape it.

The author starts with the question 'will a robot take my job' but ends up asking bigger and more interesting questions. A well researched and referenced book.

There is an all too brief but tantalising glimpse of a utopian world in which we could be 'workless' .. what the author really means is not sitting about idle all day, but simply untethered from the Protestant work et
Lynley
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: australia, politics
I am already a convert.

I can't be sure, but I'd guess a neoliberal reader would require more facts and figures before being convinced.
Vicky
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It is a very important book. I plan to recommend it to all my friends. The future is here and things are already different from the old understanding of work on many levels. The apps are taking over our everyday life and tablets become our universe.
For anyone who is interested in being employed and "Job ready" this book is a big help. It shatters the illusions of an old concept of full-time work and gives some ideas on how to survive in a world that is workless.
Alice