Start by marking “WEDLOCKED: A Story of Forced Marriage” as Want to Read:
WEDLOCKED: A Story of Forced Marriage

WEDLOCKED: A Story of Forced Marriage

When the plainclothes police officers appeared with a warrant for her arrest, Mayah assumed that her father — a powerful figure in Nairobi’s Indian business community — was attempting to frighten her.

What she didn’t realize was that her ordeal had only just begun.

That night, while her newlywed husband languished in a jail cell, she would be driven across the border at gunp
Published August 16th 2016 by Amazon Digital Services LLC

To ask other readers questions about WEDLOCKED, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about WEDLOCKED

Angie
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this wonderful, distressing, disturbing, well written book and highly recommend it! The book is written to not only tell Mayah’s ordeal into a forced marriage but it also includes the statistics for forced marriages and the many other types of abuses that go with it. It’s appalling! I have no words to describe my dismay that so many young women, and in many cases, children, are treated so brutally in the world today. Mayah story gives us a glimpse into this epidemic. In the begi ...more
Nichole
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book! The author does a great job of telling a compelling story about one woman's experience with forced marriage, while interspersing information, research, and statistics about the issue. Mayah's story is truly fascinating. Her experience is heart breaking and inspiring.

While the subject matter is dark, this book is a must read. I have worked in women's health for many years and am more informed than most on topics related to it. I was generally familiar with forc
Elisa Panjang
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Won in a LibraryThing and this is my honest review.

Wow! What a fantastic read! Very well written, detail information and very emotional. Highly recommended!

Dana
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ally Fox
May 19, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Stopped reading after a few pages

I was expecting to read a biography of a woman who was forced to marry. Instead this book is page after page of statistics as opposed to the story of someone's life.
I'm sure if someone is looking to be educated about forced marriage and how prevalent it is then this book would be ideal.
Unfortunately I was looking for entertainment not a bombardment of statistics
Barbara
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Male Marraige enforcers

Every woman should read this book.
The extreme cruelty violence & crazy
beliefs about family honor & caste are
Very worrying & more needs to be done to
Protect women from Families who arrange
Marriages .
Jacqui Leckie
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great informative read.

Unbelievable that this type of abuse towards females still exists in this day and age. Really inspires you to do something to support women's liberation worldwide.
Catherine
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The story of Maya is horrifying and it happens to many women in Western countries. Even honour killings can be committed in Western countries. I'm not a great fan of statistics, but the way the author inserted them every now and then into the story made them more readable. I would have liked to know if Maya met her parents when she returned home after many years of abuse at the hands of the husband chosen by them but we are not told this. If you have any interest in learning m ...more
Fajriy
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I received a free e-copy of this book from the author through a LibraryThing giveaway.
This book is not just about the forced marriage itself, it's also about many hidden issues of how unfairly some cultures treat young women in many parts of the world.
The author will take you to the life of Mayah, a young woman who lives in a family or rather a culture which limits her choices in life, including to decide the person to be her husband. Along with the story, the author also presents the facts with
BridgitDavis
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Wedlocked is a perfect balance between biography and report. The extensive information about forced marriages and related issues is inserted bit by bit into the story of one forced marriage. This is well done, giving maximum effect to the information and interpretation of it in the context of the short and simply told story. The story is based on a real experience as told to the author.
I received this as a LibraryThing Member GiveAway.
Bethany Marks
Hannah Rubenstein will leave you feeling extremely grateful for things usually taken for granted. A vital look into a culture that most of us will not relate to, this is not a comfortable read, but it is an important one.

Thank you for the opportunity to read and review Wedlocked: A story of Forced Marriage
Gina Schwartz
Oct 24, 2016 rated it liked it
A gripping and captivating story.
chris keers
Orna Garvey
Oct 08, 2016
Sara Williams
Nov 09, 2018
Hannah Rubenstein is a writer and editor whose passion lies in exploring the complex terrain where ideas of culture and human rights overlap.

Her articles have appeared in the New York Times, The Washington Post, Slate, NPR, Reuters, India Times, USA Today, Truthout, TerraViva, The Global Report, Global Issues, The Daily Globe, and AllAfrica, among other publications.

For more, visit her website at