Start by marking “Good Boys (The Solomon Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
Good Boys (The Solomon Mysteries, #1)

Good Boys

(The Solomon Mysteries #1)

Having risen through the ranks of the Baltimore City Police Department to the elite Homicide unit as an out gay man, Paul Solomon has always prided himself on his integrity and self-reliance. As the last vestiges of his failed eight-year-long relationship fall away, Paul finds himself adrift, forced to rely on others to help him find his footing again.

When Paul and his par
ebook
Published August 26th 2016 by Wayward Ink Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Good Boys, please sign up.
Tal It's in Kindle Unlimited right now so it's not available in ebook format from other sellers. When/if it comes out of KU it will probably go into wide…moreIt's in Kindle Unlimited right now so it's not available in ebook format from other sellers. When/if it comes out of KU it will probably go into wide distribution like the author's other titles. The 90 day KU enrollment will be up around the middle of June.(less)

LenaRibka
Sometimes it is good to have NO expectations at all. I picked up this book because of the category – a gay mystery. The author was new for me. I read the blurb and found it interesting. But to tell the truth, I didn’t expect this novel to be better than my last books: in the best case, not bad, but lacking on something to amaze and captivate such a picky reader as myself.

A pleasant surprise! This book was like a fresh cool wind in a hot day (not a thunderstorm, but very refreshing).

Who could i
Line
This book was SUCH a nice surprise. It was well-written, the police-work felt real and the MC was GREAT!

So Paul is a detective in Baltimore, he is an out gay man, and have 'just' broken up with his partner of 8 years, Andy.
Paul is a good-looking, smart, thorough, hardworking MC. His partner on the job, is Tim, and even though they work well together, Paul can come off as stand-off-ish, which is why he doesn't really have a lot of friends, and why Tim and Paul haven't really connected before.
How
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Completely I love romance. But mostly I love murder and mystery. I often joke that if someone doesn’t die I am just not interested. But yeah, mix a little romance in with my murder mystery and you will find me one very, very happy girl.

description

That being said, I will tell you I took a huge chance on this one. I had a preconceived idea of how it would go, as they so often do, but man do I love being wrong!! What a freaking surprise this book was!! I feel like this book was written for me. Gah! I could re
MouthLeaf
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Seriously good police procedural -
Not always my genre, but I'm the type of person who will read almost anything as long as the characters are well-written and interesting. Something about Paul Solomon is really likeable, and reading about him solving a case involving two dead gay teenagers while trying to sort out his lovelife was really engaging. There's no black-and-white characters here - even the ex-boyfriend is an engaging and in the end sympathetic character (and probably gets the best jo
☙ percy ❧
"I can't believe anyone still wants to listen to Rush."

The mediocre rating isn't because they dissed my favourite band, I swear.

I found the writing to be pretty lacklustre, with a lot of descriptions that were so tell-not-show-y that it was genuinely jarring:

"She was a six-foot, terrifyingly beautiful, incredibly intimidating black woman. Her presence, combined with her drive and intelligence, made her a force to be reckoned with."

Luckily, however, there wasn't too much of this throughout, an
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

For me, Good Boys by Keelan Ellis was a story about relationships. We all have so many different kinds of connections in this world. Co-workers, neighbors, lovers, partners, ex-s, friends, family, and more. This book covers them all with insight, humor, and layers upon layers of emotion. Some ties are quick and easy on the heart. Others weigh and pull at us with guilt and conflict or desire and love. And then we have the relationships that have a mixture of both—like the guilt with the love and
Joyfully Jay
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kenna
A Joyfully Jay review.

5 stars

Ohmygoodness, what a GREAT book! I chose this one because I’m a fan of cop stories and murder mysteries, and I was definitely not disappointed. Now, you’re going to have to bear with me because I don’t want to give anything important away. I’m going to give you a bare bones description of the plot, but this book was so amazing, I want you all to read it for yourselves without spoilers from me.

First and foremost, we have Paul Solomon…excellent cop and hot mess. The s
Lisa The Novel Approach
Paul Solomon, at the age of thirty-eight, has to face the end of his lingering eight-year relationship with Andy. Andy has finally drawn the line, and Paul has to move out, no more procrastinating. It’s not that either did anything wrong but that time just took them to different stages in what they wanted from life. Paul doesn’t have an easy time with the move or making friends; plus, being a detective with the Baltimore PD can certainly interfere with social time. Lucky for Paul, though, he doe ...more
Meep
So good, an instant favourite, I enjoyed this book and it impressed me.

More than anything it's a friendship and getting to know the main character Paul. Mystery and personal angles are balanced well.

Mystery - More complicated than it seems, I liked seeing the detectives follow leads and speaking to people. There were a few suspicions along the way. As a mystery fan I liked it, there was enough emotion and complications with no need for heaping in drama-llamas. The crime-solving was a good focus
Fabi
I was completely engrossed in this story!

It is not a romance. It is a crime mystery novel featuring two homicide detectives. However, it does have elements of romance - just not between those two since their sexual orientation is different.

What kept my attention was the "whodunnit". I was carried away along with the detectives as they discovered so many twists and turns in their case. It was fascinating. Very well written. I never lost interest.

The story itself was a braided, winding plot that e
Annery
Whenever I read a book by Keelan Ellis I find myself in a conundrum: I’m deeply satisfied by the story but somehow unable to intelligently or cogently articulate why? There are no pithy quotes or overwhelming tides of emotion; no ‘heart in the palm of your hand’ declarations of undying, forever love; no cinematic acts of derring-do or danger; no unimaginable evil, just the, sadly, pedestrian strain of evil. Instead she mines the quotidian slings and arrows that make up the lives of most function ...more
⚣Michaelle⚣
May 23, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, lgbt
I liked this when I read it a year ago; not sure if anything has been revised or updated so I'm looking forward to reading it again...and I'm kinda hoping that a re-release means the second installment is on the way!!

ARC provided by NetGalley and NineStar Press for an unbiased opinion.
Maygirl7
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers
This was pretty awesome. I’m looking forward to the second book and finding out how everyone is doing and what the next mystery is. Unlike many mysteries this mystery actually was mysterious for much of the book.

Tim, in particular, was my favorite. He is hilariously comfortable with everyone’s sexuality to the point that it makes Paul and others uncomfortable. Learning your presumption of a certain amount of homophobia isn’t there caught Paul flat-footed (I wonder where that saying came from. I
Ami

Honestly, I am a little confused on how to categorize this. There's too much of Paul's personal life going to call this a mystery-procedural, despite Paul and Tim working out to solve a case of two dead teenage boys.

But I can't call it romance too because, well, there's too much going on in that department including Paul's finally moving out of his ex-of-eight-year's house, a complicated friendship with an ex-minister of a gay-conversion camp, as well as Paul trying to re-date this bar
Diverse
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: september-2016
You have to love a good mystery and Keelan Ellis's Good Boys is pretty great. I never know with mysteries if I'll figure it out too soon and if I do will I get bored. I had a lot of ideas as I was reading and some were right and some weren't so it kept me on my toes.

Paul is a character that I sort of felt terribly bad for from the start. He's been living with his ex for a while. Their 8 year relationship fizzled out a long time ago. I mean Paul was sleeping in the guest room for a good long whi
⚣Michaelle⚣
4 Stars

And again with an out of nowhere, surprisingly good read! I absolutely love Tim; he's a great partner, the kind of guy I wish more MM romance cops would have. (That he's not a love interest was refreshing as well!) Paul is a little harder to like...mainly because he so effing real and that means terribly flawed, but he's also earnest and interesting.

At first I wanted to score it a little lower because there's no main love interest, but then I realized his recent breakup and trying to figu
CrabbyPatty
Weird. I read the second book in this series first, then read the first book second. Still enjoyed the books, and will write a full review for this one shortly.
k reads
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018, quiltbag
Thought the MC was a dick and the solution to the mystery bordered on incomprehensible.
T.A. McKay
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Copy from NetGalley

For the overall plot and mystery - 4 stars
For the main character - 3 stars

I enjoyed the story itself but I was left a bit put off by the main character. I wanted to like him but he just felt...off. He didn't have the personality to make me want good things for him, and he came off as horrible even when trying to be kind and funny.

Overall a good book, but I wouldn't want to read about this character again.
Veronica of V's Reads
Detective Paul Solomon is 38, relatively single and newly pressed to leave the house of his former boyfriend, Andy. Paul and Andy had lived together the past six years, but their relationship died years ago. They officially broke up a year ago, but Paul just moved into the guest room of Andy's house. Now, they scratch each other's itches, but Andy wants Paul out, so he can finally move on.

Having few friends of his own to lean on, Paul ends up temporarily staying with his partner, Tim, a newly di
Mel Bradley
Sep 17, 2016 rated it liked it
This was my first Keelan Ellis book, and while I liked the mystery aspect (and the awesome surprise twist at the end), I’m a little let down by the lack of romance. Essentially… there isn’t a love interest. It’s a murder mystery story featuring a hot cop – who just happens to be gay as well. While I absolutely love seeing a featured gay character (hello – m/m reader here), I was expecting more of the falling in love angle that is typical for these reads.

That being said, the mystery and hunting d
Sahar
Jun 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm
I think Good boys was a pretty good first book in a series. The characters are lovable, the plot wasn't the best but not bad either. What I can say is that I'll certainly be reading book2 to find out more about Paul and his adventures and at the same time, I hope that the plot will be better handeled.
Rian Durant
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m

Reading Good Boys by Keelan Ellis is like sliding a warm knife through butter – sharp, smooth and delicious.

It’s a very intriguing read on both the mystery/crime and the relationship/romance plane.

The case Paul Solomon is assigned to together with his partner on the force, Tim, is a web of lies they have to disentangle and there are so many twist and turns along the way that I couldn’t guess the killer until the end. By the way the dialogue and all interactions between the two detectives are abs
Heather Martin
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
**Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie in exchange for a fair and honest review**

Paul and Tim are homicide detectives in Baltimore. In the book, Paul and Tim are investigating the murder of two high school best friends. This book is all about that case from the beginning to the solving of the murder.

This was a great mystery with many twists and turns on the way to solving this crime. I did guess who the murderer was, but I did not see the twists that were going to happen on the way to solving. An
Anke
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
More like 4.5 stars

It was a gripping read, I liked that the MC wasn't perfect and had some relatable problems. I just found the solution to the case a bit weak, no idea how to say it better, but it felt as if there was still another turn of events necessary for the author, but for me at the reader it wasn't. And it was wrapped up like in a rush.

Nevertheless I liked it a lot and I'm looking forward to reading the next book.
Alexis
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Paul Solomon is an openly gay cop, who is trying to secure a place to live after his ex moves on, while trying to solve the double murder of two gay teens. This is the first book in a series following Paul, and it is a promising start. I really enjoyed Paul's character. He's not stereotypical, or a dark, broody cop, and seems to know himself well enough to admit to his flaws. He reevaluates past lovers with maturity, and doesn't blame his ex entirely for their breakup, since he knows that he is ...more
Amy Dufera
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I definitely enjoyed Good Boys by Keelan Ellis. It is Book 1 in a brand new series, The Solomon Mysteries.

It is a well written mystery. As Paul finds himself trying to solve a double murder, he is also caught up in the backlash of his failed 8 year relationship ending. As he is investing the murder, he is also dealing with a lot of personal issues.

Although their are relationship issues, they are not at the forefront of this story. While Paul is struggling to find a partner, his path to this is n
Aelfwina
Jun 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, mystery
The mystery was definitely more of a (somewhat distant) background here. 2.5 stars, really. The part about "how" the murders were accomplished was not even hinted at - there was barely a "why". Kind of curious about the characters, so might keep reading.
Maryann Kafka
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good start to the Paul Solomon Mysteries. It has great potential and I can't wait for the next installment "High Time" to see what Keelan Ellis has in store for us.
Sean Fox
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did enjoy this book. It was a nice little mystery story that kept me reading.

I have to admit, the main draw of this story was that the main character was gay. Even though things have changed over the years and there are more gay character representing in fiction, it's hard to find them outside of self published books, some of which are very good reads. This one focuses on a gay detective, which is not something that is written very often. I enjoyed that the book focused on some of the aspects

• Three Nick Nowak Mysteries (Boystown #1)
  • To Catch A Fox (Fox Mysteries, #1)
  • Amor En Retrogrado (Bill Turner, #1)
  • Bitter Legacy
  • Maloney's Law (Maloney's Law #1)
  • Long Shadows (Common Law, #1)
  • Double Down (Doubleback, #2)
  • Mobsters and Miracles
  • A Deadly Game (A Nick Fallon Investigation, #1)
  • The Hanged Man's Ghost (The Night Wars, #1)
  • Love is Heartless (Love Can't Series, #2)
  • Reclamation
  • In Plain Sight
  • Bone to Pick (Digging Up Bones, #1)
  • The Merchant of Death (Playing the Fool, #2)
  • Half Moon Chambers
  • The Best Corpse for the Job (Lindenshaw Mysteries, #1)
  • Like Pizza and Beer (Dino Martini Mysteries, #2)
Keelan Ellis is a true crime enthusiast, a political junkie, and a comedy fan. Despite a compulsion to sometimes wallow in the depths of humanity’s corruption and sadness, she considers herself a romantic at heart. The stories she really connects with are about love that’s been twisted into hatred, and she believes that with honesty and forgiveness, love can overcome. Keelan loves good bourbon and ...more

The Solomon Mysteries (2 books)
  • High Time (The Solomon Mysteries #2)