Start by marking “The Pocket Pema Chodron” as Want to Read:
The Pocket Pema Chodron

The Pocket Pema Chodron

4.58  ·  Rating details ·  1,210 Ratings  ·  100 Reviews
Here is a treasury of 108 short selections from the best-selling books of Pema Chödrön, the beloved Buddhist nun. Designed for on-the-go inspiration, this collection offers teachings on:

• becoming fearless

• breaking free of destructive patterns

• developing patience, kindness, and joy amid our everyday struggles

• unlocking our natural warmth, intelligence, a
Published December 9th 2008 by Shambhala

To ask other readers questions about The Pocket Pema Chodron, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pocket Pema Chodron

Moira Clunie
Jun 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
bought this from the bookstore in darlinghurst a couple of weeks ago, and it's stayed on my person ever since - it really is small enough to fit in the actual pocket of my winter coat.

pema chödrön's writing is the perfect thing to read in these little pieces - it's dense with insight even as it's simple and easily grasped, & after i started reading it i felt my attention shifting in interesting ways.

this is the thing i read a couple of years ago that stuck with me & made me think it migh
Alex Teixeira
Oct 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I wanted to post a random message from this wonderful little book so I closed my eyes and opened the book to any page. Here is the message:

Every day we could think about the aggression in the world, in New York, Los Angeles, Darfur, Iraq, everywhere.

All over the world, everybody always strikes out at the enemy, and the pain escalates forever.

Every day we could reflect on this and ask ourselves, "Am I going to add to the aggression in the world?"

Every day, at the moment when things get edgy, we
Joanne
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pema Chodron , a Buddhist nun, writes about spirituality in everyday terms, in a way that’s practical, simple and applicable. The book is comprised of 108 short selections for on-the-go inspiration. And inspire it does. Since its purchase, I've made reference to it a few times rereading passages that struck a chord. .For instance, on page 60, in entry #38 (called ‘No Happy Ending’) she quotes her teacher once saying to her “I don’t know why you came here, but I want to tell you right now that th ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There are times in our lives when we feel a little bit anxious and we can say a prayer or our rosary and we can get going again. There are other times when we feel so overwhelmed with anxiety that we can't act. That is the time I bring out Pema Chodron. She looks fear and anxiety square in the eye and she isn't the one who blinks.
Tim Niland
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
Pema Chodron is a Buddhist nun who writes and gives seminars on self-improvement that are refreshingly free of any doctrine or agenda. Her real idea is for people to look within themselves with mindfulness and open themselves up to their own basic nature, because as she sees it, people can never truly care for others if they do not care for themselves. This short book has excerpts from her other works, offing something akin to a "greatest hits" album with short pithy passages of a page or two on ...more
Li-Ting
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Only parts of this book provided food for thought upon my first read, but I can see it as a reference I will come back to over and over and find something new to think about given the constantly changing circumstances. The collection covers a wide range of topics sorted into short excerpts--you may not connect to every page, but there is bound to be something in there that can help you heal and let go of a current stress or worry.
Barry
Feb 26, 2009 is currently reading it
Now is the right time for me to absorb and truly understand the teachings of Buddhism. Its emphasis on mindfulness, becoming friends with yourself, and learning to not cause suffering by trying to avoid pain and struggle, but rather to work with it and be in each moment as life comes, in every form. Truly truly enlightening for me. I am not preaching or trying to tell anyone else to read this, but it is doing wonders for me, because it is truthful for me.
Abz
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love this pocket edition. Great to carry around for a little pick me up.
Raechelle Thomas
Aug 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I love this little book! Since it's all just excerpts from Pema's writings, it's perfect to read one prior to my meditation session. I will be using this little book for years.

I read a page from this every day before meditation-so have not read all-but will be reading from it daily for quite some time. Love it!
Carisa Sullivan
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love Pema ( my pocket Pema too.) Her words are introspective and even if one is not a practicing Buddhist, she speaks both eloquently and practically in a way that presents living life with all its nuance and its hugeness a little bit differently....
Cherie
Dec 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Lots of quick quotes from Pema; perfect for the Buddhist beginner, but for someone who reads all of her books, there will be lots of repetition.
Alex
May 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I carry this around in my pocket, and read from it regularly. It's a wonderful little thing, keeps my feet on the ground.
Karen
May 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
Very enlightening and inspiring. Great little book, packed full of wonderful lessons!
Rosie
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who like Buddhism, self-help, spirituality
Nothing gets better than Pema - except a POCKET-SIZED PEMA!!
Kerri Fairclough
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Simply fabulous.
Marty
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, gentle, everyday wisdom from a master.....
Hillary roberts
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
my review

I Love Pema Chadron. I  really can't put my finger on it but whenever I read her I feel inspired to be a better person. She talks openly and honestly about how she fails at times to live you to the whole zen thing but she never makes you feel like you are an asshole if you are struggling to get to a higher plane of existence I guess is how I would put it.

This book is like a devotional book filled with short stories of hers. You can read one then go back and read another one when you need an upl
Ian Mathers
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy, 2016
I always feel weird rating this type of book, but it had several passages that stopped me in my tracks and had me re-reading/thinking about them for a while, and if that's not good enough for full marks in this kind of work than I don't know what is. I also felt a bit weird about reading the work of a religious tradition I don't actually belong to or plan to join, before I remembered how much Christian philosophy you get when you study that in school (not to mention there are plenty of writers f ...more
Ms. Jared
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, loved this one! She's very down to earth and human and her writing is very relatable. I appreciate that she reminds us that just because we're seeking enlightenment and on this path to awakening to life and knowing ourselves that it won't be perfect and that we'll still have pain and suffering and difficulty. It's not like we can just follow these specific steps and we'll be all fixed and happy and enlightened. It's always going to be a learning process and we hopefully just learn ho ...more
BD Scott
Oct 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddhist-books
If you are looking for a "best of for the Buddhist mind", this little book is perfect. The "pocket Pema" (as I enjoy calling it) is a book I have read at least four times and read a little bit each day in order. Pema Chodron has a beautiful writing voice and delivers messages about confronting fear, learning compassion, living in the present moment, and many many other Buddhist principles to guide ANYONE to become a warrior to the awakened heart (Bodhisattva).

I would recommend this book for begi
Tinie
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. I thought it was inspiring, positive and helpful. It's the kind of book you read to help get greater perspective on life... so that after you read it, your mind is oriented towards choosing actions that bring more peace to your life (and to the people around you).

This book had little snippets from lots of other books by Pema Chodron, and it was nice to get that "buffet style or a little bit of everything" format. It helped me get a broad understanding of her work.
Aayla
Aug 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
I've been studying Buddhism a lot lately, so I really wanted something small that I could always carry with me and that would be an accessible way to remind myself of the important stuff.

This is just the right fit. Each "story" is one to three small pages long, but even in that short space, it gets at the heart of the issue. I've read through all of it, and now I can't wait to be able to refer to certain passages when I'm having trouble.
Mandy Brown
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a great place to start with Pema Chadron as it is a collection of passages taken from the various books she has written. In the back of the book there is guide to which books the passages originated from which might help you determine which Pema Chadron book you decide to read next. I like that her writing is very simple and straightforward. I think the next Pema Chadron books I want to read is "Start Where You Are" and"The Places That Scare You".
Barbara Auito
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
'Relax as it is...We can stop struggling with what occurs and see its true face without calling it the enemy. It helps to remember that our spiritual practice is not about accomplishing anything - not about winning or losing - but about ceasing to struggle and relaxing as it is. That is what we are doing when we sit down to meditate. That attitude spreads into the rest of our lives.' This book, this wisdom, feeds my soul!
Jason Marciak
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
A collection of the lessons of experience from and for people who are seeking to waken more fully into their life. Each excerpt carry lessons about suffering, thoughtfulness, compassion, and reflection. The qualities outlined in the writing would be familiar to most anyone but they have been presented in such a way that offer new insights about life from a very personal and also a universal standpoint.
Karen McCready
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zen
I keep this w/ me @ all times. The short verse are short in length only bc they keep me thinking for a long time. Usually whatever page I turn to, the sentiment provides support & helps me re-center. On the rare occasion I'm getting nothing from the passage, it is so small I can't throw it too far!
Ann Getman
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Little bits of wisdom, to read a few, or one, at a time, or all at once if you can't get enough.
Elizabeth Black
Feb 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
There was some good wisdom in this, but overall, a lot of it didn't resound with me. The main focus was on mediation, "wakefulness", impermanence (etc) which is perfectly applicable to a practicing Buddhist, but not so much for me.
Angelique
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Her advice/outlook is gentle and fierce and deeply RIGHT. When I'm hurt or lost, she always shines the light on the path out of the dark bramble I've stumbled into. She gives me the magic words to say so my tiny heart can let go of hate and fear.
Shahed Kadem
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great book to have to read while meditating, whether in the morning or at the end of a long day. I've learned a lot from the wisdom and insight she offers. The chapters are great for journal-ing and reflecting on past/current life experiences.
  • Meditation in Action
  • Zen Heart: Simple Advice for Living with Mindfulness and Compassion
  • Buddhism Is Not What You Think: Finding Freedom Beyond Beliefs
  • Ruling Your World: Ancient Strategies For Modern Life
  • Essential Tibetan Buddhism
  • Letting Go of the Person You Used to Be: Lessons on Change, Loss, and Spiritual Transformation
Ani Pema Chödrön (Deirdre Blomfield-Brown) is an American Buddhist nun in the Tibetan tradition, closely associated with the Kagyu school and the Shambhala lineage.

She attended Miss Porter's School in Connecticut and graduated from the University of California at Berkeley. She taught as an elementary school teacher for many years in both New Mexico and California. Pema has two children and three g
More about Pema Chödrön...
“We have two alternatives: either we question our beliefs - or we don't. Either we accept our fixed versions of reality- or we begin to challenge them. In Buddha's opinion, to train in staying open and curious - to train in dissolving our assumptions and beliefs - is the best use of our human lives.” 84 likes
“Don’t let life harden your heart.” 21 likes