Start by marking “Mary Anne's Book (The Baby-Sitters Club Portrait Collection)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Mary Anne's Book
Ann M. Martin

Mary Anne's Book (The Baby-Sitters Club Portrait Collection #4)

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  208 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Contains information about Mary Anne, including what it was like for her growing up without a mother, her fear of performing in public, and how she got to know her grandmother.
155 pages
Published (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Mary Anne's Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mary Anne's Book

Apr 25, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
reading this book was like torture. i think i read anna karenina faster. this is another one of those supposed "autobiographies" that each 13-year-old member of the babysitters club writes for school. mary anne reminisces about the time that richard gave her away to her grandparents, even though she has no memories of living with them; being enrolled in a summer ballet class & making herself physically sick from the anxiety she felt about performing in the class recital (once she admitted he ...more
Logan Hughes
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: babysitters-club
The Portrait Collection is a series of the Baby-sitters Club girls' school-assigned "autobiographies," which take the form of 2- to 3-chapter short stories about their childhoods. I'll summarize and review each story individually.

The Tea Party (age 6): Mary Anne is embarrassed when the kids laugh because she plans to her father to a mother's day tea party at school. She has a strict teacher and she worries that she's done the wrong thing. She decides to invite Claudia's grandmother Mimi instead.
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
in this fourth installment in the portrait collection series by ghostwriter Jeanne Betancourt, we get to see mary anne be an intolerable child and grow into the intolerable teen that she is today! no but really there's one story that's actually charming and funny. here are the individual stories:

-age 6: there's a class tea party for mother's day, but when she says she invited her father everyone laughs. she's embarrassed so she invites mimi and hopes her father will forget. they both show up and
And thus we have the worst of the Portrait Collection books. Why so boring, Mary Anne?
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, my rating is from how I viewed it when I last read it(which was as a teenager, which I read for nostalgia then), and then I loved it still, as I always loved and empathised with Mary Ann from BSC. It will always be an all time childhood-preteen favourite book of mine. I think TBSC is a great series for young girls to read, but it isn't for everyone, or maybe it would grow on them :D. It did for me, when everyone around me was reading it at 9 and 10 yrs old, I didn't find the books interestin ...more
Rachel Brand
Loved this! I am such a Mary Anne. I totally understand her shyness, although I experienced it more in my teens than in my childhood. It was nice to see that not all the stories had an entirely happy ending - Mary Anne never totally overcome her shyness and everything wasn't completely rosy between her dad and her grandma. Her life story was realistic. Overall, a very sweet read and it was lovely to see the interactions between the girls as kids, especially Kristy looking out for Mary Anne. 10/1 ...more
This was clearly for nostalgia sake. I've been getting in touch with those childhood books I was in love with way back when, and Mary Anne's Book was interesting (mostly the parts about knowing her deceased mother), but a little boring elsewhere.
Loved all the Portrait Collection! I thought I was so awesome when I got them all haha!
May 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this a long time ago but I recall it being a instresting peak into the past!
Amy Holcomb
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Baby-sitters Club series was my favorite growing up! :)
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book took me forever to read. I kept stopping to count how many pages I had left. Mary Anne is the most boring, sappiest BSC member.
Amanda S
Got bored. Read this. Hilarious trip down nostalgia lane.
Michaela Branum
this book was OK. I mean, Mary Anne and I may have a few things in common. but it doesn't mean that I have to like her. I mean, I hated reading about her problems. the end.
May 02, 2009
rated it it was ok
Jan 17, 2012
Aug 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Felicity Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Felicity, #2)
  • The Mystery Bookstore (The Boxcar Children, #48)
  • The Little Mermaid
  • Hide and Seek
  • The Secret of the Magic Pen (Sweet Valley Twins Super Chiller #8)
  • Forever Amber Brown
  • The Book of the Pearl (Samurai Girl, #3)
  • Kate's Choice
  • Don't Hurt My Pony (Pony Pals, #10)
  • The Cry of the Loon: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Hey Kid, Want to Buy a Bridge? (Time Warp Trio #11)
  • Island's End
  • Anything But Normal
  • Goodnight Kiss 2 (Fear Street Superchiller, #10)
  • The Betrayal (At the House of the Magician, #3)
  • Kirsten Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #5)
  • The Stolen Sapphire: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Rebecca to the Rescue (American Girls: Rebecca, #5)

More about Ann M. Martin...

The Baby-Sitters Club Portrait Collection (6 books)
  • Stacey's Book
  • Claudia's Book (The Baby-Sitters Club Portrait Collection)
  • Dawn's Book (The Baby-Sitters Club Portrait Collection)
  • Kristy's Book (The Baby-Sitters Club Portrait Collection)
  • Abby's Book (The Baby-Sitters Club Portrait Collection)