Start by marking “Unknown (Unknown #1)” as Want to Read:
Unknown (Unknown #1)

Unknown

(Unknown #1)

In this first installment of NY Times bestselling author, Wendy Higgins's debut New Adult series, a frighteningly realistic apocalyptic America is brought to life, entwined with searing romantic tension that will leave you eager for more.
***
Amber Tate believes the worst thing she'll suffer in life is dealing with the unrequited love she feels for her brother's best frie
Published August 8th 2016 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Unknown, please sign up.

Wendy Higgins
Feb 01, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
My first NA story. This will be a series, probably 4 books. It's still in the early stages of planning. All I can tell you is that I'm completely in love so far.

Since I was a teen I've suffered recurring apocalyptic nightmares, stuff like RED DAWN where we're being invaded and I'm traveling the U.S., trying to stay alive amid the enemy and chaos. And there are always sexy undertones to these frighteningly realistic dreams. After all these years I think it's time to put those nightmares to good u
Samantha Young
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There is nothing better than a fantastic heroine and Wendy Higgin’s delivers a new favorite for me with Amber Tate. Amber’s voice pulled me in immediately as she swept me up in memories of her childhood and teenage years, falling for her brother’s best friend Rylen Fite. Within mere pages I was sold on Amber and Rylen, wanting their happily ever after, hoping for it with every page I turned. The world basically begins to implode around them as an invisible enemy attacks the United States. As Amb ...more
Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥
Unknown was intense, gritty, emotional and a book I can't recommend enough. It's unlike any other dystopian that I've read because we actually got to witness the demise of the world. And I had no clue the depths my heart would ache watching this tale unfold. But there was hope in those final pages, and it was definitely a heart stopping journey to get there! I absolutely loved Unknown and I can't wait to start the next book!
When it rains, it pours. And floods. And washes away adolescent drea
Damaris (GoodChoiceReading)
Wendy Higgins does not disappoint! This book was everything and should be on EVERYONE'S TBR list!
Candace Robinson
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! I loved the fact that it shows the pre-dystopian events, and it isn't set already in a post apocalyptic world. I loved what an emotional ride it was, and how everything didn't go the way I thought it was going to go. The romance is a slow build and would not call it a romance at all, but I actually loved the pace of it and hopefully what it will lead up to. This was a scary place and because it is set in our time and how the world is it is a lot to think about. Wend ...more
Amy Bartol
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just imagine, for a moment, what it would be like if an intelligent race of beings were able to infiltrate every level of society on Earth undetected. And then, once embedded, they initiated the methodical extermination of humanity.

The edge of extinction wasn’t a place childhood friends Amber Tate, and Rylen Fite, ever thought they’d find themselves. Growing up in rural Nevada, Amber believed the only thing that could destroy her was her unrequited love for Rylen. She was wrong.

Wendy Higgins’ n
Lucia
Apr 11, 2016 marked it as dnf
Shelves: sci-fi
DNF at 40%
While reading this book I was either frustrated or bored :( Moving on.
Valerie
Let me start with the warnings about this book.

It may be tagged with romance but you will only find the amount of romance you would expect in the first few pages of the average romance novel. By that I mean the attraction, the interest, the friendship but none the kissing or moving towards a relationship that you normally see. As a matter of fact, there is a huge event that makes it clear that's not in the cards. And it was hard to read for this romantic at heart. I understand that changes for
Carrie (The Butterfly Reader)
OMG! This book! This is one of the best books I've read all year! It reminds me a lot of another book Life as We Knew It. It and this book are the only books I've read where the shit is happening now, not in the future, no we are living through it now with these characters and it's so scary. I feel the actions in this book could really happen in today's world and that it not a good thing. There was many times while reading this book that I found myself nervous if something like this were to happ ...more
♡Julalicious Book Paradise♡
review to come.
Gwen Cole
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you're a fan of NA, romance, of sci-fi, put this book on your TBR! I read this book so fast because I couldn't put it down, and when I was forced to put it down, I couldn't wait to pick it back up again. Wendy brought all these different elements into this book and made it fantastic. I laughed, I cried, I shouted in rage, and sometimes wanted to punch certain characters. I'm really bad at writing reviews, but my point is: This book is really really great. Probably one of my favorites so far t ...more
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Damn that was awesome! I love how Wendy has the ability to make me invested so much in a story and its characters from page 1! This book was filled with so much sexual tension you could cut it with a knife! And man it made me cry a few times! I need book 2 now!!!!
Deborah Obida
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: new adult and dystopian book lovers
Recommended to Deborah by: New Adult group
This is my first New adult read also first by Wendy Higgins, I admit I like her writing and would love to read other of her works,The book was recommended by a reading group and i'm glad I read it.

The story is about Amber, her love for her brother's friend, and her family. I love the way the author included her she met Rylen and grew up together an the way her feelings for him grew as they become adults. Now faced with an unknown enemy that is bombing people all over the world they have to stick
Alexandra
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Review can be found on *Milky Way of Books*.

When I learned that Wendy Higgins would self-publish a new series I was quite excited! It came as a surprise and for someone like me who was introduced late to her previous series "The Sweet Trilogy", I was sold.

The story follows Amber and her family who live quite normal in Nevada. She has a long crush on her brother's best friend Rylen, yet she is way too shy to confess her feelings.
But when the bombings begin and a national spread illness begins to
Débora Poco
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Where do I even start? This was an action
packed story from beginning to end.

So I am basically still freaking out about
this book and I have to concentrate in order to be able to write this review
without making it just a load of fangirl words and squeals/shrieks.

SPOILER FREE
REVIEW

Little
did I know that I was in for a huge, gigantic and massive surprise when I picked
this up.

The
best combination of words that I can use to describe this book won’t

SheLove2Read
Nov 27, 2017 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Great concept but the plotting was terrible. I do understand the need for backstory, but too much of one bogged this story down tremendously. DNF
Zoe
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: post-apoclyptic

Life is filled with good and bad. We have to appreciate the good while we have it.
What impresses me the most is that Wendy Higgins manages to become better and better with every book she writes. Her debut Sweet Evil was rather mediocre, and her sophomore novel The Great Hunt was entertaining. Unknown, however, is atmospheric and frighteningly plausible.

When an unknown organization starts bombing major cities across the world, Amber Tate knows that the world as she knows it will be turned up
Gretchen Gomez
Jun 02, 2016 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: 2016, new-adult
I will not be rating this book since I DNFed it.
As a Latina, I am very offended with the way the author wrote about us. I am outraged that she stereotyped my people. I will be writing a full discussion on my blog soon, then update this.
Nancy The book junkie
Rating: 4.75/5

Review coming soon!
 ⇝LEAH⇜
OVERALL RATING: 5/5 STARS (GRADE=A+)

♪♫My Pick For Book Theme Song♫♪
Hanging By A Moment by Lifehouse --One of my all time favorite songs…feels just right for Amber and Rylen and also for the overall feel of the story.♫

⇝My Thoughts⇜

This book…wow, I loved this book and I am desperately wanting to read book 2 and I think it's killing my chances of liking anything else (book wise), lately. I just don't want to read it quite yet, because book 3 doesn't come out until November. I'm trying space them o
Nathalie*
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it

Not bad .. it reminded me so much of red dawn and the host. It is a very sad book, the love interest is sad. I really loved her family ;) the story was good but Very sad and very red dawn.
Jaime Arkin
Amber has grown up dealing with the knowledge that Rylen Fite, her brother’s best friend in the world, would never look at her as anything but his best friends little sister.

Growing up in their small Nevada town, she has done a good job of hiding her feelings, but it’s getting harder and harder to do. Then something happens and the country is at war with an unknown entity. Bombs go off all around the US and all, save one elected leader, is killed. What happens when leadership is gone and things
Jen
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars!

This is a portion of my email [edited to remove spoilers] to Wendy upon finishing the book--which I read in a short amount of time. I couldn't put it down!

"I finished UNKNOWN, and I'm going to need Book Two like yesterday, okay? Thanks.

I really enjoyed the story, especially the old school Red Dawn vibe it had going on! I still remember how scared I was to go to school after watching that movie, convinced enemy soldiers were going parachute onto the playground and take me hostage.

I lik
Jeninne
Jun 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
I had one singular thought running through my head, about thirty pages from the end. Just one.

I asked myself, Jen, how many more times do you think this dumb bitch Amber is going to get dizzy and/or collapse again so men can worry over her? I mean, Jen, she's only gotten dizzy and collapsed seven times already. There's room for more.

Seriously.

This should have been a book about a tough as nails nurse, fighting her way through the collapse of the United States, having new adult sexy times with he
A.G. Howard
This book ... so disturbingly timely. The beginning chaps provide a character study so the reader feels as if they share Amber and Rylen's pasts and know their flaws, motivations, and strengths intimately. They're authentic and sympathetic -- people who might live down the street.

Two of my favorite things about the story:

(1) It's not all about the romance. It's there (complete with sexy-hot tension and painful misunderstandings), simmering in the background or making an appearance in quiet mome
The Bibliophile Babe (Amanda Nola)
So torn on this one. On the one hand, Amber was often incredibly annoying and dense. I didn't get her obsession with the hero, and the secondary characters needed to be more developed. The book felt very young adult at times, and I believe this was the author's first venture into NA. It read immature and stuff at times.

On the other hand, it was completely addictive. I was up until 2am reading, and it was so realistically creepy and believable. I'm looking forward to book 2!
Grace
Jan 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Siobhan Davis
Feb 19, 2016 marked it as to-read
And we have a cover! Really loving the sound of this book. Can't wait to read it.
Beth  (YA Books Central)
Full review to come....but BY FAR my favorite NA novel of the year!! I literally could not put this book down and finished it within two days.....and I cannot wait to read the sequel!!!!!!!!!!
Jessica *The Lovely Books*
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wendy Higgins wedged herself in my heart with her ‘Sweet’ series. Those books were so romantic and very creative. I remembering thinking to myself that she would always be on my ‘READ NOW’ list whenever her books came out. But it took awhile for me to read Unknown. The premise didn’t hook me and the cover wasn’t all that great to me. I finally caved and I’m so happy that I did!

The book starts off a bit slow; giving us the backstory to Amber and her “unrequited” love with her brother’s best frien
New Adult Book Club: Wendy Higgins Signed Paperback Giveaway! ~ CLOSED! 27 132 Oct 03, 2016 04:54AM
  • Zocopalypse (Death Fields, #1)
  • The Infected (PODs, #2)
  • Slamming Demon (Pounding Hearts, #2)
  • Hear No (Hidden Evil Trilogy, #1)
  • Surviving the Fog (Surviving the Fog #1)
  • All About Me (Love & Hate, #2)
  • Hades (Modern Descendants, #1)
  • Dark Innocence (Dark, #1.5)
  • Hotline to Hell
  • Rane (Ruthless, #2)
  • Undaunted (No Rival, #2)
  • Trapped (Here Trilogy, #2)
  • Dark Refuge (Spirit Wild #4)
  • State of Decay: Omnibus
  • Oblivion (Lux, #1.5, 2.5, 3.5)
  • Bayou Shadow Protector (Bayou Magic #2)
  • Missing Pieces
  • Domino Effect (Domino, #1)
Wendy Higgins is the USA Today and NY Times bestselling author of the SWEET EVIL series from HarperTeen, the high fantasy duology THE GREAT HUNT, her independently published Irish Fantasy SEE ME, and her indie NA science fiction UNKNOWN trilogy.
After earning a Creative Writing degree from George Mason University and a Masters in Curriculum and Instruction from Radford, Wendy taught high school Eng

Unknown (3 books)