Start by marking “Short Stories from Hogwarts of Power, Politics and Pesky Poltergeists (Pottermore Presents, #2)” as Want to Read:

Short Stories from Hogwarts of Power, Politics and Pesky Poltergeists

(Pottermore Presents #2)

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  21,306 ratings  ·  1,523 reviews
'No Muggle Prime Minister has ever set foot in the Ministry of Magic, for reasons most succinctly summed up by ex-Minister Dugald McPhail (term of office 1858-1865): “their puir wee braines couldnae cope wi’ it.”’ – J.K. Rowling

Pottermore Presents is a collection of J.K. Rowling’s writing: short reads originally featured on pottermore.com with some exclusive new additions.
Published September 6th 2016 by Pottermore Limited

·  21,306 ratings  ·  1,523 reviews

Jayson
(B) 75% | More than Satisfactory
Notes: It favors love over fear, in the Machiavellian way, and sees self-aggrandizing as an offspring of insecurity and shame.
Mohammed Arabey
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Finally, the extra writings by our QUEEN OF MAGIC organized, professionally edited & bound in one ebook.

And this one about those Power hungry and ambitious.

Stories of Power and Politics.
From the ruthless roots of Umbridge.

To Slughorn’s early years as Potions master at Hogwarts.

To the inadequate yet hungry for importance and Power, Quirrell.
Till power really goes to his head..

And for fun, what d' ya know about Poltergeists? Peeves back story will tell ya big deal about'.

Every witch or wiza
Kai
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, pottershelf, 2017
"Their puir wee braines couldnae cope wiit."
-Ex-Minister for Magic Dugald McPhail, on why no Muggle has ever set foot in the Ministry for Magic

This was one fantastic and informative read. Highly intruiging were the chapters on Dolores Umbridge, Horace Slughorn and Peeves. I got some serious goosebumps like only J. K. Rowling could write them.
The thing that bothers me though is that I had to pay 3€ for every eBook, even though most content was taken from Pottermore. It's a very disappointing and
Alejandro
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Power and politics from the world of Harry Potter!

This is the second ebook (in a series of three, so far) collecting short stories written by J.K. Rowling for the Pottermore website.

In this second book, you’ll get nine short stories focused in the themes of the evil pursuit for power, the corruption in magical politics and even a pesky poltergeist.

Thanks to these wonderful narratives, you’ll get to know beyond of what you may got in the original Harry Potter’s book series, various fearsome cha
Nayra.Hassan
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
دائما احمد الله على اني من القادرين على دخول الرصيف رقم 🚈9-3/4
Screenshot-2019-01-08-13-25-04-1
الخيال نعمة كبيرة ..لا يتمتع بها الكل
و الخيال المصدق ..حرفة تألقت من خلالها رولينج ببراعة أسطورية
تريد ان يصدقوك. .فلتصنع تاريخا..لعشاق هوجوارتس فقط

سيتشابك عالمي السحرة و العامة بشكل لم تصادفه من قبل ..ستصادف كلمة وزير تسيير أعمال.. انتخابات ..تشرشل
ستحكي لك جوان رولينج عن من تكرهه من مدرسين و موقفها من مادة الكيمياء..
لماذا اختارت هذا الاسم لابطالها
..بل لماذا اختارت هذا المكون لوصفتها الأشهر "بولي جوس" كيف اختارت رمز كل بيت من بيوت
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
Pretty sure this is going to be a been-there-done-that because I'm addicted to Pottermore and all the writings she puts out on there... but if it was released as a physical book it might have to go on the shelf with the other pretties. In other news, I'm still waiting for HOGWARTS, A HISTORY. Just saying.
Mary S. R.
5 STARS! probably my favourite of the three Pottermore Presents books :)
In the wrong hands, power and magic can be dark, lethal, and consuming.
In “Short Stories from Hogwarts of Power, Politics and Pesky Poltergeists” you discover what happens when power goes to someone’s head (quite literally, in Professor Quirrell’s case).

It's less in a “storytelling” tone and more an account of their pasts, with J.K. Rowling's thoughts tagged along! I found its writing and whole design appropriate for its g
Cait • A Page with a View
This one was my least favorite of the three collections of short stories, but it was still quite informative! There are a ton of details about Umbridge, Slughorn, Quirrell, all of the previous Ministers of Magic, Peeves, Azkaban, cauldrons, and other general things I've already forgotten. Those just weren't necessarily characters or places I really needed to know more about.

A few facts like the name inspirations were really fun, though!
Ronak Gajjar
2. BORING – MAGIC MINISTERS
3. ALWAYS – GOING – POOF – HORACE SLUGHORN
4. I – TOO – AM – CAPABLE – QUIRINUS QUIRRELL
5. THE – MOST – MISCHIEVOUS – PEEVES THE POLTERGEIST
I started this book by hating the diabolical sadistic Dolores Umbridge, even her name holds the meaning which is really uncanny.
description
I mean even looking at her or reading about her gives you negative vibes! She is CREEPY!
description
The ministers bored me all along, being parado
Amin
سومین کتاب «ارائهای از پاترمور» از نظر امتیازی برای من هم رده با کتاب «راهنمای ناکامل و نامعتبر هاگوارتز» بود. کتاب رنگ و بوی هاگوارتز و هری رو داشت و این منو خوشحال میکرد، با این حال یادآوری دوباره آمبریج باعث میشد یادم بیاد چقدر از این آدم بدم میاد.

جالبترین بخش کتاب در مورد آخرین تلاش سرایداران هاگوارتز برای بیرون کردن بدعنق از قلعه بود و واقعا تصور اینکه اون همه اسلحه مخرب رو به دست بدعنق بدی، دود از کله آدم بلند میکنه! تصورش هم خندهدار و جالبه. شرایطی که بدعنق برای صلح گذاشت هم واقعا برام جا
Trish
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
This second book full of short stories and snippets from the world of Harry Potter includes the following five chapters:

1) Dolores Umbridge
2) Ministers for Magic and Azkaban
3) Horace Slughorn / Polyjuice Potion / Cauldrons
4) Quirinus Quirrell
5) A Pesky Poltergeist

I've always hated Umbridge. Like HATED. Voldemort is the ultimate evil but he has no emotions. In many ways, it's easy to see him as a non-human and therefore treat him differently (put him in his own class so to speak). Umbridge howeve
Archit Ojha
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A panoramic collection!

I loved to get to know more about the characters who do evil things. I appreciated how J.K.Rowling provided both Heroes and Villians' back stories for her readers.

Definitely recommended.
Bradley
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2016-shelf
Not really short stories as character bios, but good for all that. I liked seeing some background on the some of the baddies and the not so baddies, the grey folks like Slughorn.

Definitely a good read if you like to get additional information about main characters like Dolores. :)

Liz Weasleyhead
Sep 06, 2016 added it
Shelves: ebook
Dolores Umbridge is one of the most awful person eeever :( and thanks to Rowling I hate her even more now :)
Maria Clara
Sin duda es el que más me ha gustado de los tres :-)
Vaneesha
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
BRILLIANT!

This is less of a short story, and more of an encyclopedia-y read, which isn't a bad thing, after the atrocity that was Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.

There's mention of some of my old favs and just enough backstory to satisfy me without totally ruining my own version of characterizations I've developed in my head.

I can't wait to read Remus' section in the next Pottermore Presents (I'm realizing now I'm reading these out of order ... OH WELL).
BooksTwins
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Muy divertido de leer, habla de personaje queridos como no tan queridos :)
Me gustó mucho el último capítulo que trata de Peeves, pero me dio tristeza que se nombrara a Fred y a George Weasley!
Sara Kamjou
خیلی زیاد دوستش داشتم. برام جالب بود که رولینگ روی هرچیزی مثل دلیل انتخاب اسم افراد یا حتی محتویات معجون مرکب پیچیده اینقدر فکر کرده و حساب شده عمل کرده!
ترجمه عالی بود.
Christine Spoors
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2016
I don't think I will ever stop being amazed at how thorough the world building and character development in the Wizarding World is!

I loved reading more about power and politics in the Wizarding World, it was especially interesting to learn more about the Ministers of Magic throughout the years! I'm not giving these books full reviews because they are pretty short!
Carlos Peguer
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
Con perdón: qué coñazo de historias, de verdad. Me han gustado muchísimo menos que las del primer volumen. Son terriblemente aburridas, es más, hay una que es una lista interminable de todos los ministros de magia que ha habido. Y ya está.

La única que quizás me ha gustado más es la de Umbridge, aunque tampoco es que aporte gran cosa que no supiéramos ya. En fin, a ver si con las que me quedan me llevo una alegría.
Sad Sunday (If I say it's bad, it's bad)
As the #1 is more about single characters, #2 manages to mingle characters and interesting facts from the wizard's world into one. Loved it! Many great quotes, funny things and magic.

Mai
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: eread, read-in-2016
I loved all the introductions to Cauldrons and Potions, and the part where J.K. Rowling described Azkaban and why it was named Azkaban, it was amazing.
I love her mind so much that I want her to keep writing in this world forever.
Sammm
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This review has the SAME opening from reviews I wrote for THIS and THIS, the other 2 books in the Pottermore Presents, because I do in fact have the same opinion on the matter. Starting from the Pottermore urls is where the reviews differ from one another due to being different books.

I'm happy that some of the additional materials from Pottermore are finally collected and presented in a book-like way! It kind of forces me into reading them as well, cuz before, when it was articles on character
SMLauri
Estaba pensando en releer toda la saga y estas historias son un empujoncito para decidirme definitivamente.
||Swaroop||
Jun 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Short Stories from Hogwarts of Power, Politics and Pesky Poltergeists by J.K. Rowling is interesting.

Of all the stories, it was nice to know more about Horace Slughorn. Also, the history of Ministers of Magic and Azkaban was good.
Ryan Buckby
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
the second in a set of 3 short stories released by jk rowling this year and i can say i enjoyed this one but not as much as i did the first one.

However i did enjoy learning about all of the minster's of magic from the beginning until the very present. I liked how Jk rowling provided a snapshot of each minister and how there career with the top job went, it provided me with more information about how each minister is elected and how long they can be in office for.

Dolores Umbridge was one of the
Christina
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 stars!

Every witch or wizard with a wand has held in his or her hands more power than we will ever know. With the right spell or potion, they can fabricate love, travel through time, change physical form and even extinguish life.

This is the 2nd collection of short stories made available by Pottermore, written by JK Rowling. I love these shorts...they explore even farther into the magical world and it's history, and they also go into more detail about characters whose backstories weren't explo
JoAnna
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
To be honest this book kinda put me in a slump. I just didn't care much to read about Umbridge or Slughorn...... Especially Umbridge. I guess I need a little break from the wizarding world. :( But don't worry I won't stay away long!;)
Jason
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Chelsea slytherink
You can read my review of Short Stories from Hogwarts of Heroism, Hardship and Dangerous Hobbies here,
and my review of Hogwarts: An Incomplete and Unreliable Guide here!
-----------------------------------------
Well, what I'm about to say next, doesn't occur often: I don't really have an opinion on Short Stories from Hogwarts of Power, Politics and Pesky Poltergeists. I didn't learn a lot of new information. If anything, it only raised more questions, instead of answering them! Honestly, I kind o
SciFi and Fantasy...: Pottermore Presents 8 103 Sep 08, 2016 11:19PM
  • Other Worlds
  • The Book of Shhh
  • Otherworld Chills (Otherworld Stories, #5)
  • Harry Potter: A Journey Through A History of Magic
  • Inner Demon (The Asylum Tales #3.3)
  • Beacham's Sourcebook For Teaching Young Adult Fiction: Exploring Harry Potter
  • Wandfasted (The Black Witch Chronicles, #0.5)
  • The Mystery of the Haunted Cottage (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #10)
  • Harry Potter: the Creature Vault
  • Dreamscapes: Creating Magical Angel, Faery & Mermaid Worlds in Watercolor
  • Brooklyn House Magician's Manual (The Kane Chronicles)
  • Flights and Chimes and Mysterious Times
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Reckoning (Season 12, Volume 1)
  • Snow White Learns Witchcraft: Stories and Poems
  • A Matter of Magic (Mairelon, #1-2)
  • Character Guide (Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them)
  • In Calabria
  • Hex in the City (Fiction River, #5)