Start by marking “Tupelo Rides the Rails” as Want to Read:
Tupelo Rides the Rails

Tupelo Rides the Rails

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  114 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Award-winning author/illustrator Melissa Sweet introduces Tupelo, an abandoned dog, who must find a new home for herself and her sock toy, Mr. Bones. With creative language and brilliant illustrations, Melissa shows how home is sometimes found in the most unexpected places.
Published April 7th 2008 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Tupelo Rides the Rails, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tupelo Rides the Rails

Jess Verzello
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
My favorite fictional character of all time is now the hobo Garbage Pail Tex. delightful!
Janet
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pets, childrens
Sweet doggies!
Matthew
May 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animal-books
Tupelo is an abandoned dog, abandoned in the most cruel way imaginable. He's left on the roadside by his family and has to fend for himself. Luckily, he comes upon some other dogs in a similar fix after a little while, all thanks to his ability to follow his nose. He meets with a kindly human who's riding the rails and he and his canine companions ride with the man until they come to an adoption event that provides many of the dogs with a home. Tupelo, unfortunately, is the only dog who is not s ...more
Kelli Mcdonald
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: traditional
Tupelo rides the rails is a tale of a little dog left out on her own. Her owners abandon her and leave her to find her own way in this world. When Tupelo stumbles on the boneheads she finds a new way of living. Along side of the Hobo, she learns about the stars and the dog astronomy. She rides the rails all around the world and all of the other Boneheads find families they had lost or found new ones, but Tupelo does not find anyone. Will Tupelo ever find a loving home?

I really enjoyed the illust
Dolly
Apr 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, pets, 2010
Tupelo is an abandoned dog and she was lonely until she met the BONEHEADS (Benevolent Order of Nature's Exalted Hounds Earnest And Doggedly Sublime). They introduce her to the Dog Star Sirius and the various constellations in the night sky (as Dogs see them). They also introduce her to a hobo named Garbage Pail Tex who takes the dogs on a train adventure and helps them make their wishes come true. It's a sweet story and our oldest daughter cried at a particularly poignant part of the tale. We re ...more
Sue
Jul 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, kids
Beginning on the end papers with a pull out of the celestial sky, followed by a bone adorned time line, Melissa Sweet tells the story of Tupelo Rides the Rails. Dumped on the side of the road with her sock toy Mr. Bones, they ride to find a place that they belong. Penciled and watercolor frames, vignettes and full page illustrations tell the story of life on the rails, under the stars, and the search for home. Interspersed are references to all the famous dogs in history (that's why the timeline ...more
Maricor
Feb 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Tupelo Rides the Rails by Melissa Sweet (2008)
Picture Book, 34 pages with 3 foldout pages
Tupelo has something for dog lovers and astronomers alike. Sweet does an outstanding job weaving literary elements of allusion, alliteration and other wordplay into a dog’s tale full of stars and stinky stuff. With very detailed mixed-media illustrations and longer text on each page, it may be a difficult read for a large group at story time. Then again, there is so much to look at on every page, little eye
Lindsey Johnson
Sep 30, 2009 added it
Shelves: pbgs-2
This book is colorful and has great details to them. The pictures look like they were drawn with color pencils and filled in with them. The books pictures have positive space to them. Most of the pictures have an outline on them like they are in picture frames. I really like the font in this book. I am not sure what kind it is but it fits the book well. I really like how if the pictures do not fill the whole page the background has a cream color to them and not just white. I think a lot of books ...more
Chris
Jun 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents, punks, dog and train lovers
Recommended to Chris by: found it at the library
Shelves: stig-books
This is awesome all around. The illustrations are awesome -- beautiful, hip and quirky at the same time. The story is about a dog who is abandoned and goes in search of his tribe. He finds a pack of other lost dogs who all make wishes upon Sirus the dog star. A Hobo takes them train hopping and they all find their place. Tupelo finds out her place is riding the rails with Hobo Tex.
Dogs and trains. Tribes and constellations. A cute story. Good for big people and little people. A 10-15 minute read
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dogs
I found this to be a rather strange story. A dog gets dumped by her owners in the countryside. She really wants to find a place to belong and eventually comes across a group of dogs who call themselves the Boneheads. For lack of a better description, these dogs sacrifice their bones at the altar of Sirius the Dog Star as a way to find a home. (Brings to mind the quote from MST3K - "Kids'll worship the darndest things!").

Mediocre illustrations.
Susan
May 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books-jp
I didn't think I could love Melissa Sweet's books more after her wonderful illustrations for Jane Yolen's Baby Bear books (Baby Bear's Dreams, Chair, etc.) especially since I want to live in Baby Bear's treehouse by the sea. Seriously.
But...I love Tupelo entirely. I love her sock toy, Mr. Bones. The part where the dogs gather together to make a wish on Sirius the star is ... well, I was wrong. I can love Melissa Sweet's works even more than before.
Traci Bold
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A picture book to rally up all of your emotions. The opening end pages are a must read and study section as it is a story within a story.

Then the first page gets you going with emotion and carries you on throughout the story.

Written and illustrated by Melissa Sweet, published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

#dogs #mustlovedogs #adventure #Sirius #stars
Angie
Nov 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is another picture book that's "wordier" than the usual. My 9-year old son and I both enjoyed the semi-mythical dog-constellation aspect to the book. My 7-year old daughter listened as I read it, but fidgeted and didn't really like it. I admire the tenacity and sacrifice of Tupelo on her journey for a home.
Bobbi
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, 2015
I loved this book! As with Melissa Sweet's other works, this one is about so much more than the story that holds it all together, which is a heartwarming tale in itself. There are connections to literature, history and the stars, all wrapped up in a beautiful package!
Julie
Apr 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
The art wasn't my preferred style, but it does fit with the tone of the book. My favorite character was Mr. Bones. It just seems like I've read other stories like this before... folk tales, etc that were better told.
Johanna
Apr 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Evan picked this book from the library because the cover had a dog and a train. haha I think it is the CUTEST book! It uses words that children's books normally don't use like hobo, intoxicating, and schnoz. And the author is just so creative. I loved it!
Allison
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
LOVED IT! Melissa Sweet's illustration and the character, Tupelo, got me from the opening timeline to the last tail-wagging scene! If I ever have a dog I would like the dog to become a member of the BONEHEADS (Benevolent Order of Nature's Exalted Hounds Earnest and Doggedly Sublime).
Elizabeth Meadows
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I loved this sweet little book about an abandoned dog and her quest for belonging. Some of the pages open to reveal more text and pictures, including a graphic of the night sky with the constellations renamed to reflect the canine theme. Lots of warm fuzzies here.
Denise
Mar 16, 2012 rated it liked it
A story about an abandoned dog that just wants to belong. Includes a timelime witha few famous dogs (fiction or not), Lassie, Balto, Toto and Snoopy. (Unfortunately it omits Astro.) Also has maps of the constellations.
Roben
Aug 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Tupelo is a dog who has been left by the side of the road. She desperately wants a home - but has no luck until she meets the BONEHEADS - a group of dogs that bury bones and ask the Dog Star - Sirius - to help them find a new home. And with the help of hobo Garbage Pail Tex - they all do!
Shannon
Jun 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Sweet story, and of course I loved Mr. Bones, but everything was resolved a little too neatly for my liking.
Edna
Aug 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
What a great dog "tale" about being forced into a new way of life that involves making new friends who all share hope and faith.
Madeline
Jul 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Tupelo Rides the Rails was a good book. I liked it because the man who led the Boneheads let Tupelo live with him.
Brittany
Aug 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
Dog gets dumped by her owners...way to start a story for kids! NOT! Then she ends up living with a hobo. Not what I wanted to read to my daughter at all.
Paty
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
All dog lovers will enjoy this book. Some high leveled vocabulary in it, but it's a great read.
Angela
Jun 13, 2011
Adam
Mar 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
There is more than one author with this name

Melissa Sweet grew up in a suburban neighborhood that had lots of kids, kick-the-can games on summer nights, and Percy's candy store right nearby.

Later she received her Associate’s Degree from Endicott Junior College in Beverly, Massachusetts, and studied art at the Kansas City Art Institute.

Sweet began began illustrating children's books in 1986 and h
More about Melissa Sweet...