Start by marking “Against All Odds” as Want to Read:
Against All Odds

Against All Odds

Taking chances is part of life, but when you bet your future against the odds, it’s a high-risk game. Kate Madison’s stylish resale shop has been a big SoHo success, supporting her and her four kids since her husband’s untimely death. Now they are grown and ready to forge lives of their own. And they all choose to play against the odds, to their mother’s dismay.

Isabelle, a
Published May 2nd 2017 by Delacorte Press

Archit Ojha
A moving story about family, narrated masterfully.

You expect nothing less from the bestselling author Danielle Steel.

Kate, who became a widow, has learnt it very well that life is not fair at all. Being single mother of four children is not an easy task but Kate is determined to do her best.

After doing all the things one can do as a parent, Kate has only one wish left to see that her children get settled in their lives. She wants them to marry to the right person and be content. Regrettably, he
Aditi
“The only love that I really believe in is a mother’s love for her children.”

----Karl Lagerfeld

Danielle Steel, the #1 bestselling author, is back with her new adult fiction book called, Against All Odds that unravels the story of a widowed mother and her four children, who are now adults, and whose terrible life's choices land them up in a mucky situation, yet the mother, who already warned them against their decisions, stands strongly by their side, and fights for them against all odds, even
Minty McBunny
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, june-2017
I read new Danielle Steel for the same reason I read old Danielle Steel. It's totally mindless, requires no effort on my part and has no "nutritional" value. It's like mental potato chips, I read it because it's in front of me (on the library's new release shelf).

But let me tell you, I have been reading this lady's books for over 30 years now and I am convinced that either a) there's someone else writing these "in the style" of Danielle Steel, or they have fed all her previous books into a compu
Sherri Thacker
I've read most of the Danielle Steele books dating back to my younger 20's and I liked this one! A quick read.
Janet
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book about a family and how things changed in each of their lives.

a mother's love for wanting what is best for her children never goes away and this was just what this mom needed to read.

Great job.
Rakhi Jayashankar
Kate Madison leads a normal life with her Adult kids. Never did it occur to her to have a partner in her life, nor did her mother. All her kids are successful in their career but what troubles her most is that except her son Justin, none of her kids have a personal life. While her children start getting settled in their life, Kate finds her love. But, life is never easy.
The book handles a lot of dimensions in relations. Izzie's relation with Zach is a pointer to whether money should have a role
Melissa
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
well I loved it was easy to get in to and hard to put down. I haven't read many from her .....this one I liked.
Denise
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Against All Odds by Danielle Steel is, for me, a good summer beach read.
I always enjoy the authors quotes but the following quote is memorable...

“If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together... there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart... I'll always be with you.”

― A.A. Milne
Merrill Medansky
Danielle Steel books are strictly brain candy. But the stories can still entertain, even if they are poorly written. For example, on one page alone, four sentences began with And.
If you can avoid being distracted by the simplistic writing, this novel has a widowed mother worrying about her adult children and their poor life choices. She learns to be supportive, and they learn life lessons. This book has it all: a gay son having a baby with a surrogate mother, an attorney falling in love with a d
Laura Rash
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ahhhh that hit the spot
Uma   ~Books.Bags.Burgers.
(A huge thanks to Pan Macmillan India for sending me this book in exchange for an honest review.)

Actual rating - 3.5

CHARACTERS

The story is filled with flawed but realistic characters, That's not to say I liked them all! I liked the very reasonable Kate who is the mother of four adult children. She is responsible and worries about her children all day. I enjoyed reading about her business and how she ran her second hand clothing store, "Still fabulous". I also liked Grandma Lou and enjoyed r
Bookish Indulgenges with b00k r3vi3ws
‘Against All Odds’ is a story about Family and Life. After losing her husband early on, Kate raised her children as a single mother. She had taken on anything that life had to throw at her, with hopes of doing right by her children. Now they are all grown up and have lives of their own. All Kate wants now is for her children to settle down in their lives. But it is wishful thinking on her part as her children have their own sets of woes to face.

Read the full review on Bookish Indulgences with b
Rhoda Campbell
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought for a book written in our generation that this book had a great story in it. Every problem or situation in today's life from wife beating to gay sons was involved in a marvellous read. I became so into the story that I could not put the book down.
One thing is always true you cannot be disappointed by a book written by Danielle Steele. I would give this ok five stars.
Petra Schwarz
It was ok. A book needs to last with me for a while to actually be worthy of 5 stars. It needs to last with me a day at least to be worthy of 4. This book just seemed way too unrealistic. But still, all in all, it was entertaining. Would make a good Lifetime of Hallmark movie.
Jhonatas Nilson
The book is about the most dysfunctional family I ever saw. The characters are too irresponsible and irrational. It was the worst Danielle Steel's book that I've read until today, but no problem, she can't be perfect all time and I can't wait to read an other one.
Mai
Aug 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
dnf... couldn't carry on reading it. wasn't interested in plot or the characters to even try and finish it
lacy [lacy’s library]
tw: drug use, abuse (spousal) rape, cheating

Never thought I would see the day where I would have to put trigger warnings on a Danielle Steel book. I lived for 25 years thinking that DS was light and fluffy with a few hard topic books thrown in. That is what I thought this book was, actually. Boy, was I wrong. This was not light and fluffy. Not even close.

This is a slice of life book, which can sometimes be hit or miss. We have Kate and her four kids, Izzie, Justin, Julie and Willie. The three o
Neelam Babul
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A highly enjoyable book about a mother's love for desiring the best for her children. Kate is a widow who sacrifices her own life to bring her four children up without support from anyone to ensure they have the best life possible. Once the children have grown up and are leading the life they want, Kate tries her best to protect them from making the wrong choices but none of them pay heed to her concerns.

As she notices each child living their own life, she feels a sense of losing them but canno
Patricialogan8
I have noticed that most of the mothers in Danielle Steel's books are over involved in their adult children's lives, in most cases it is not necessary to be as inserted, in this novel Kate worries too much about things she cannot control or have any say over, she may as well roll with the punches
Shabnam
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis :

Taking chances is part of life, but when you bet your future against the odds, it's a high-risk game.

Kate Madison's stylish second-hand clothing shop has been a big success in New York, supporting her and her four kids since her husband's untimely death. Now, her children have grown up and are ready to forge lives of their own. They all choose to play against all odds, much to their mother's dismay . . .

Isabelle, a dedicated attorney, is in line to make partner at her Wall Street firm
Karen
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In her typical expressive way, Danielle Steele has crafted a modern day protective mother story involving a set of twins; one a young woman and one a young man, an older sister and younger brother all with with complicated love lives. Older sister Izzie, a lawyer, has fallen in love with a convicted felon whom she thinks she can change by loving him. Twin Justin is attempting to have a baby with his partner Richard through a surrogate and in vitro fertilization. Twin Julie, a dyslexic but creati ...more
Joyce
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book about a family and the changes occurring in
their lives. Kate Madison is the mother who raised her four children by
herself since the death if her husband. Now it is time for the kids to begin their lives with partners of their own. They must learn from mistakes and the
challenges each face. A fast and enjoyable read. The most difficult lesson
for a parent is that you are unable to protect your children from mistakes
they make- you can only love them and stand by them.
Wendy Venza
I haven't read Danielle Steel in years. I liked the book and the different stories of each child were interesting enough. Easy to predict what would happen next. No surprises and a bit annoying on the repetitiveness of the title throughout the book, especially the end.
Patricia
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good. I think her books are getting a lot better even though she has always been great. Her books are more about everyday life and not just a fantasy.
Happy Booker
Against all odds is a contemporary fiction novel written about Kate and her four children. Kate is a widow and has her own business selling second-hand designer/antique clothes. Her children are her main focus. The novel is all about Kate’s life and her children’s trials and tribulations.

Being a long time Danielle Steel reader, I was expecting the same lyrical and descriptive literature I am accustomed to. The author does not disappoint in providing a smooth and steady pace of an easy reading pl
Meghasi Bhatt
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very moving story about a mother who raises 4 children as a single parent. Now that they are adults, Kate also finds love. But she still worries about her children. However, at times a mother has to let her children make their own mistakes.
Sandra
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Read!
Sandra Heinzman
Another good book by one of my favorite authors! I read it in one day; I couldn't put it down!
Brenda
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked reading about this family's struggles and how everything worked out good.
Lynn
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. I enjoyed it but it was too predictable. It got annoying on the repetitiveness of the title throughout the book.
*Best Sellers* Bo...: Against All Odds - Cover 10 6 Oct 26, 2017 07:14PM
*Best Sellers* Bo...: Against All Odds - Thoughts/Rating 7 5 Oct 18, 2017 04:35PM
*Best Sellers* Bo...: Against All Odds - Author 4 3 Oct 01, 2017 02:19PM
*Best Sellers* Bo...: Against All Odds - October Selection #1 4 9 Jun 26, 2017 11:00PM
  • Talk to Me
  • Life on the Ramona Coaster
  • By Starlight
  • Can't Forgive: My 20-Year Battle with O.J. Simpson
  • Judy and I: My Life with Judy Garland
  • Celebrity Bride
  • Love in Bloom (The Heart of Main Street, #1)
  • Unexpected Lessons in Love
  • Girls' Night In
  • The Other Side of Divine
  • Wish Upon A Star
  • The Summer Cottage
  • And Then There Was One
  • To Kiss a King (Kings of California, #12)
  • Family Blessings (Amish Brides of Celery Fields, #2)
  • The Last Time I Saw You
  • Remember Me, Cowboy
  • You Send Me
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for ...more
“The two nieces of the deceased dowager in Connecticut were delighted with the prices Kate suggested for the items she wanted, and the clothes were delivered to Still Fabulous the following week. Kate was there when they came in, dropped off by a chauffeur with a van. She and Jessica, her assistant, checked them again, entered them in their inventory, and put them upstairs to show their most favored clients. Kate had already contacted several of them, and the editor from Harper’s Bazaar had said she wanted two of the fur coats. They were Revillon and in perfect condition. One was a shaved dark blue mink that had been worn only a few times, and the other was an incredibly chic skunk. She was picking them up in a few days.” 0 likes