Jump to ratings and reviews

Knight and Moon #2

Dangerous Minds

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER - The irrepressibly charming duo of Emerson Knight and Riley Moon returns in another gripping mystery by #1 New York Times bestselling author Janet Evanovich.

Buddhist monk Wayan Bagus lost his island of solitude and wants to get it back. The island was about two hundred miles northeast of Samoa. It had a mountain, beaches, a rain forest, and a volcano. And now it's gone. Poof! Vanished without a trace.

Brilliant and boyishly charming Emerson Knight likes nothing better than solving an unsolvable, improbable mystery. And finding a missing island is better than Christmas morning in the Knight household. When clues lead to a dark and sinister secret that is being guarded by the National Park Service, Emerson will need to assemble a crack team for help. Since a crack team isn't available, he enlists Riley Moon and his cousin Vernon. Riley Moon has a Harvard business degree and can shoot the eyes out of a grasshopper at fifty feet, but she can't figure out how to escape the vortex of Emerson Knight's odd life. Vernon has been Emerson's loyal and enthusiastic partner in crime since childhood. He now lives in an RV behind Emerson's house.

Together, this ragtag, mismatched trio will embark on a worldwide investigation that will expose a conspiracy one hundred years in the making.

319 pages, Hardcover

176 books35.7k followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1,387 (9%)
1 star
392 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 1,374 reviews
Profile Image for Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin.
3,364 reviews9,426 followers
August 29, 2017
This book had me in stitches! I wouldn't expect less from a JE book!

Vernon gets all the stars. He's freaking hilarious 😂

And the Bigfoot thing 😂 Vernon naked, covered in mud with a birds nest covering his lollipop 😂 I can't even people!

Mel ❤️
Profile Image for Sheri.
1,087 reviews34 followers
March 17, 2019
A line from the book sums up the story quite nicely: "another whackadoodle conspiracy theory obsession." And just like Riley, I got sucked in too. Was it a conspiracy? Was Emerson really off his rocker this time? I had to read on to find out the who, what, where, and when of Riley and Emerson's latest mission. What craziness would ensue this time?

A fun quick read, yet at times I felt as if the author was trying too hard. I got really tired of reading the idiom "for the love of Mike" and even some of Vernon's antics just seemed forced. It's not my favorite Evanovich series, but honestly, I will keep reading just for the zany adventures and the light read.
Profile Image for Barbara.
1,296 reviews4,827 followers
November 30, 2021

This second book in the 'Knight and Moon' cozy mystery series finds Emerson Knight and Riley Moon trying to save the world from a nefarious conspiracy. The book can be read as a standalone.

*****

Since she lost her bank job, financial advisor Riley Moon has been working for hunky eccentric billionaire Emerson Knight, trying to straighten out his financial records.

Knight has no patience for this tedious paperwork, so he's thrilled when his friend, Buddhist monk Bagus Wayans, shows up at his mansion - called Mysterioso Manor - in Washington DC.

Bagus, who was living on a small island in the Pacific Ocean, has a strange story to tell. He was forcibly removed from his island by furtive strangers - and when he escaped and went home, the island was gone.

Knight is intrigued by this odd occurrence, and the game's afoot. Emerson, Riley, and Bagus hurry off to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) to ask about the missing land mass. The NOAA claims they have no record of the island, which seems very suspicious.

Meanwhile, Emerson's cousin Vernon - a crude but likable schlub who lives in an RV behind Mysterioso Manor and writes a blog about unexplained occurrences - learns that hikers have been vanishing from U.S. National Parks.....especially parks with volcanic activity.

So Emerson decides that he and his friends - Riley, Bagus, and Vernon - will go to Yellowstone National Park to investigate the case of the missing trekkers.

SPOILER ALERT / SPOILER ALERT / SPOILER ALERT

All this activity brings Emerson and his friends to the attention of Bart Young - director of the National Park Service, and Tim Mann ('Tin Man') - the murderous head of security for park resources. These two tough dudes spread their chests, try to intimidate the foursome, and tell them to mind their own business....or else.🔫

Of course the adventurers ignore the warning and proceed to search Yellowstone.

They don't find any missing hikers but they DO come upon a multi-billion dollar installation with enormous pumps that are bringing up lava. Further investigation reveals a scheme that can endanger the entire Earth.

The intrepid bunch then make their way to Volcanoes National Park in Hawaii, where their peril from Tin Man escalates even further.

Emerson, Riley, Bagus, and Vernon will have to fight for their lives if they're going to save the planet. (This series leans toward these kinds of fearsome, over-the-top scenarios.) 😲

END SPOILER ALERT / END SPOILER ALERT

The globetrotters hilarious escapades involve hatchets; guns; cars; planes; helicopters; enormous lava tubes; science fiction-like matter traps; a forklift; and more - as wicked villains hunt the foursome, and allies and friends help them out.

Lave tube

We're also treated to Bagus's mystical Buddhist philosophy and sharp sense of humor. When asked how he got to Washington DC, Bagus says, "I walked." From Bali? “I walked onto a boat. Then I walked onto a plane. Then, when the plane landed in Richmond, I walked some more.”

During the team's adventures, Emerson and Riley take baby steps in their budding romance💖.

Bagus demonstrates Houdini-like powers of escape; Vernon constantly makes (what he thinks are) hilarious raunchy remarks.....and we learn why Vernon's ex-girlfriend is SO mad at him (and the reason is a doozy!).

This is a fun cozy mystery. Recommended to fans of the genre.

You can follow my reviews at https://reviewsbybarbsaffer.blogspot....
Profile Image for Darcy.
12.1k reviews416 followers
June 22, 2017
I think I'm done with this series. This one was just as ridiculous as the first and had it not shown up on my library's website I wouldn't have picked it up. Too many things were too over the top and not believable even in the land of fiction.
Profile Image for Anita.
2,023 reviews136 followers
June 26, 2017
I don't know why the National Park Service and Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders have earned JE's wrath, but she sure has made evil villains of them in this book. Actually, I kinda like the Rough Riders as Spec Ops warriors, just not the evil, murdering, plotting to take over the world kind. Anyway, this is a wonderful, entertaining, interesting, educational and humorous read. I am a diehard JE fan and this book did not disappoint.

Emerson Knight is an brilliant, eccentric, hot, handsome billionaire. His mentor, Wayan Bagus - a Buddhist Monk, shows up with at Mysterioso Manor with a tale of forced removal by uniformed thugs and the disappearance of his small Pacific island near Samoa, Emerson has a mystery to solve and he really loves a mystery.

Riley Moon is the daughter of a small town Texas Sherriff and has multiple degrees from Harvard. She is the voice of reason and she can also drive like a race car driver and shoot with the best of them. Emerson caused he to lose her last job and had hired her and his amanuensis.

Riley and Emerson, along with cousin Vernon and Wayan Bagus set off to solve the mystery of the disappearing Pacific Island and end up in a whole lot of extremely hot matter. Starting in Washington D.C. where they rattle the wrong cage to Yellowstone Park, where they barely escape being boiled alive, to the Big Island of Hawaii where, well, lets just say that the earth is intact, because Riley and Emerson saved the day.
Profile Image for Howard.
1,066 reviews63 followers
July 3, 2021
4 Stars for Dangerous Minds: Knight and Moon #2 (audiobook) by Janet Evanovich read by Lorelei King.
This was a treat getting to listen to Lorelei King read one of Janet Evanovich’s books. It’s been too long for me. This was a kind of crazy premise with lots unusual characters. Lorelei King even got to come up with some new voices.
Profile Image for Cheri.
507 reviews74 followers
July 2, 2017
Although not my fave series from JE, I did enjoy the laughs I got out of this one. I liked it better than Curious Minds. Vernon never ceases to crack me up! I know ppl thought it was over the top but wth, it's fiction. I now know a ton of facts about volcanoes and strange manner,lol! I do look forward to the next crazy book :)
Profile Image for Scott.
403 reviews41 followers
July 10, 2017
You know what you get with a Janet Evanovich book. An independent, pretty girl, a hunky guy (or two) to team up with, and an adventure full of mystery and silly zaniness. Solving the mystery involves visiting different locations, lots of overwhelmingly crazy characters, and comical situations throughout the adventure. There will be lots of teasing and innuendo between the pretty girl and hunky guy as they work together, but in the end the mystery will be resolved whether on purpose or by accident within 300 pages of reading.

This description pretty well describes her Stephanie Plum, Fox and O’Hare, and now her new Knight and Moon novels. You may think it sounds fairly formula-matic, and that’s true. However, in all honesty, nobody else is better at writing this type of sarcastic humor and risqué laden banter than anyone else. Evanovich gets you to laugh out loud at least once every other page because of the downright silliness of her plots and character reactions.

“Dangerous Minds” is the second book in her new Knight and Moon series. Riley Moon, fresh out of Harvard into the business world, is assistant to Emerson Knight, a very rich man who has taken over his deceased parent’s large inheritance. Emerson is considered a bit odd, eccentric, and lacking social skills by many, but he is also brilliant and loves solving mysteries. In this outing, one of Emerson’s mentors, a Buddhist monk named Wayne Bagus has lost his northern Samoan island of solitude and wants it back. The island has literally disappeared. Emerson, along with Riley, and Emerson’s oddball cousin, Vernon, are off to discover who took the island, which includes visiting Washington DC, Yellowstone park, and Hawaii. The plot involves government conspiracies, a tin man, molten lava, strange matter, and a Penning Trap.

Having read a lot of Evanovich’s books, I still found this new duo to be fresh and funny. I loved the dialogue and constant flirting. I especially loved the crazy things that came out of Vernon’s mouth. What a cool sidekick. The mystery itself was okay and enjoyable for the most part, but it is the characters - their charm and idiosyncrasies – that is what drives the reading pleasure. This is a good summer’s book to escape the seriousness of life and enjoy some madcap and wacky adventures for a day or two.
Profile Image for Gail.
479 reviews14 followers
August 3, 2017
I don't even know where to begin with this book. I 'liked' the first Knight & Moon book; not loved but gave it points for being the first book in what I thought would be a fun series. Boy was I wrong.

This book is a silly mess. Aimed for humor, I think, but most of the humor was juvenile and really not funny. Who wrote this book? This isn't the Evanovich of old, the lady who wrote some very funny, very enjoyable Loveswept romances, some of which I have in audio and listen to very often.

First it was the Plums - those deteriorated. I no longer read that series.

Now it's this so-new series - so new that it hasn't had time to become repetitious and cliché like the Plums did. So very disappointing. Even the quirky plot couldn't elevate this one to two stars.

Now I'm left with just the "Fox & O'Hare" series which I love, the mission impossible theme is its main draw for me, as well as the more subtle, sophisticated humor.

Don't bother with this one. Reread an old favorite. Or just try another author. I'm glad I didn't spend money on this one.
Profile Image for Whispering Stories.
2,573 reviews2,552 followers
February 25, 2019
Book Reviewed by Stacey on www.whisperingstories.com

Dangerous Minds by Janet Evanovich is the second book in the Knight & Moon series and the second that I have read, the first being ‘Curious Minds‘. Once again we meet up with the unlikely team of millionaire eccentric Emerson Knight and his new side-kick ex-bank worker Riley Moon – To find out how the two ended up working together you will need to read book one.

This time the pair are on the trail of a missing island. Buddhist monk Wayan Bagus arrives at Emerson’s house looking for his help. It would seem that whilst relaxing on his Pacific Island a group of men arrived and dragged him off the island, which now has disappeared.

The new sleuths check old maps that show the island in place but new footage of the area shows that the island is no longer there, surely someone couldn’t steal an island? Whilst on the trail the trio, along with Emerson’s cousin Vernon discover some alarming information and tread on a few too many toes. Now there is a price on their heads coming from a secret organisation. Can they discover what happened to the island or have they bitten more than they can chew this time?

If you like wacky, slapstick books then you will love this one. Emerson Knight is as eccentric as they come. He talks in riddles – That’s when he’s not consulting himself on matters – His huge mansion is a zoo and he likes to stick his nose into other peoples business.

Riley Moon is your average woman in her twenties. She was hoping to make a career in banking until Emerson ruined that for her. She is now his side-kick, confidant and chauffeur – She has the pick of Emerson’s supercars at her disposal and tries to keep him on the straight path but Emerson isn’t easy to manipulate.

Their two accomplices in this book, Wayan the monk with his wise words and martial arts skills and Vernon and his stomach which apparently tells him when troubles on the way lead many of the laughs. They were the perfect comedy pairing.

The book takes place mainly in Yellowstone National Park and Hawaii and follows them as they try to find out why someone would steal an island, what would they need it for and who could be behind the stealing? – Plus where could you even hide an island?

I absolutely adored the first book and raced through it. This one, whilst it was still very enjoyable at times felt like there was a bit of padding and unnecessary scenes which I’ll admit to skipping by on a few occasions. Some chapters dragged a little whilst others held my attention the whole way through.

I do hope that there will be a third book in the series as I adore Knight and Moon, and even Vernon. I love the way that Emerson looks at life and the way he uses his brain to deduce what is happening, he’s logical but illogical if you get what I mean.

If you love crazy, funny books and are into detective novels then I would suggest giving this series a read. Whilst I feel this book could be read as a stand-alone, I would suggest reading book one first.
Profile Image for Barbara Rogers.
1,463 reviews137 followers
June 21, 2017
Series: Knight and Moon #2
Publication Date: 6/20/17

When I’m ready for smiles, giggles and guffaws encased in an intriguing mystery, Janet Evanovich is my go-to author. Just picture sitting on your sofa listening to or reading this book and you just burst out laughing and your spouse looks at you like you have suddenly gone nuts. That is the way it is through this entire book. The characters are busy investigating a very serious mystery and you are sitting there with a huge smile on your face. It is a thoroughly enjoyable read. If you like Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum series, then you’ll love this one as well.

Emerson Knight, gazillionaire, takes eccentric to a whole new level. He’s brilliant and loves solving impossible, improbable puzzles. So, a whole island going missing and megalomaniacs seeking world domination and/or destruction are right down his alley. Oh, and by the way, add that he is romance cover gorgeous and charming as well!

Riley Moon has multiple degrees from Harvard and she can also shoot, rope and ride with the best of them. She’s strong and resourceful – and attractive as well. Riley works for Emerson Knight because he caused her to lose her last job – and he pays her REALLY well. She always has really good intentions, but somehow she always gets caught up in the force of nature that is Emerson Knight and can’t manage to escape.

Emerson once studied under Wayan Bagus who is a monk, so when he shows up at Emerson’s home asking for help because his island has disappeared, Emerson dives right in and investigates. The investigation takes us to Yellowstone and Hawaii and includes a secret government organization bent on ruling the world.

I hope you’ll give this book a try because I think you will like it.
Profile Image for Cyndi.
2,310 reviews95 followers
June 25, 2018
Wayan Bagus is a monk and a friend of Emerson Knight. When his island disappears Wayan Bagus asks Emerson for help in finding it.
This begins another adventure for Knight and our heroine, Riley Moon. In this episode we bring in Vernon, Emerson’s cousin and partner in previous exploits.
These four characters are hilarious as they try to save the world. Excellent series! Can’t wait for more!! 🤗
Profile Image for Ronald.
1,122 reviews10 followers
July 6, 2017
Normally I am a big fan of the silliness of a Janet Evanovich book.
But I really do not like either of the main characters Knight and Moon. They are both unlikable. One is a selfish billionaire only interested in satisfying his desires and wants. The other is his female victim of constant abuse. I don't get the relationship between the two as it is not nice or fun or healthy.

The worst part of the story was the final chapter. The final chapter contains a number of typos and grammatical errors bad enough I noticed and I'm the least picky to notice such things. Then the story just ends. The ending might be planned but it just ends with no epilogue or follow up to say how things ended up for our heroes and the aftermath of the evil plot revealed (as is common for Evanovich books). It was as almost as if someone did not properly upload the final file of the book before printing and no one checked the final proof.

I just find the Lizzy and Diesel characters or the Barnaby series characters more interesting. I hope we get more of those stories before more Knight and Moon.
Profile Image for Bill Riggs.
388 reviews6 followers
May 29, 2021
Knight, an eccentric billionaire, and Moon, his financial assistant, are drawn into a nefarious conspiracy involving a missing island and the deaths and disappearances of tourists at various national Parks. Full of quirky and crazy characters that Evanovich is known for, Curious Minds is a fast paced fun mystery.
Profile Image for Bianca.
1,010 reviews867 followers
March 17, 2020

I seemed to be one of the few people who hadn't read an Evanovich book. Several friends nominated her books as their go-to for something "light and fun". So when I was at the library I spotted a shelf filled with her books, so I just grabbed one at random, which happened to be this one.

I enjoyed this, mainly because of the banter. Sure, there are cliche things about it, but it was a fun ride. I shall continue to indulge.

Those of you who read her books, can you recommend me some titles? Cheers.
Profile Image for Erth.
3,372 reviews
February 1, 2021
How do you lose an island? That is what Knight and Moon want to know.

Another great read from Janet Evanovich! I love this new crime duo. They have it all - humor, interesting quirky characters, complex implausible plots, interesting destinations, a hint of attraction, and you learn a little something you might not have known before. That's entertainment.

It was a fun read that moved quickly. I did not want to put it down because it held my interest from start to finish.

In this second volume, they added a new character while bringing back one of our favorites from the first volume. I am already looking forward to their next adventure.
Profile Image for Nique.
214 reviews37 followers
June 26, 2017
Meh...I think this sequel is going downhill from the first. Or maybe I'm just feeling that all of Evanovich's characters are the same and it's getting boring
Profile Image for Kym Moore.
Author 3 books31 followers
January 12, 2021
Oh, the mystery of the missing and stolen island. But how can an island be stolen, a location that was once on a map and then only to disappear as if it never existed? Vanished without a trace? This is an odd thriller, many times comical and a bit quirky.

Wayan Bagus, the Buddhist monk living in solitude on an island was evicted by some really bad people. He sought help from his friend Emerson Knight, a know-it-all who is obsessed with solving unsolvable mysteries. When Emerson begins snooping around he found some unsettling clues that led to some deep-seated sinister activities. People were mysteriously missing and tourists were being murdered, and now an island? He vowed to get down to the bottom of it but needed a team to assist him with it. Together, this mismatched team Emerson assembled will embark on an investigation that will expose a conspiracy that was years in the making. Vernon, Emerson, and Riley discover underground operations of Bart Young who leads his complicit followers into the secretive production of a doomsday machine filled with volatile matter.

Young is greedy and wants world domination. Tim “Tin Man” Mann is publicly in charge of protecting park resources for the Pacific West Region. The Rough Riders are a secret organization of combatant thugs dressed in military-style fatigues are a secret organization of elite rangers hired to protect hidden secrets inside national parks. These are the players of the doomsday production: Bart Young, Tin Man, the Rough Riders, Berta the mechanical engineer creating the impact of the "matter," and the team they assembled to help them carry out their dastardly plan.

Eventually, while Emerson and his crew waited to be rescued, Bart Young and Tin Man corner them. The two, however, quickly turn on each other (differences of opinions). Without remorse, Tin Man beheads Bart with his machete. You end up finding out what happened to the missing island. All I have to say is Mother Nature has a remarkable way of dealing with her own.
Profile Image for Kryssi D'Eredita.
426 reviews3 followers
July 8, 2017
I should have stopped this series after I didn't like the first book. I guess I hoped it would get better with this one. Nope. No more Knight and Moon for this girl.
Profile Image for Heidi.
1,395 reviews152 followers
Read
July 19, 2017
Two thirds of the way through. Too ridiculous. Can't tolerate it anymore.
Profile Image for Sophia.
Author 5 books324 followers
September 12, 2017
For years, I've been meaning to try a Janet Evanovich book. I thought it would be her acclaimed Stephanie Plum series, but then this one which was only two books in, caught my eye and, yes, I confess, it was because I adore Lorelei King as a narrator.

I was a little concerned that I was picking up the second book in a series, but shrugged it off. Dangerous Minds ended up doing just fine out of order and would work as a standalone.

The book opens with a startling arrival to wealthy Emerson Knight's estate. His former mentor, a soft-voiced Buddhist monk states that his island home disappeared. Of course, it was funny, but also set the ball in motion for eccentric Emerson, redoubtable Riley, along with Emerson's hilarious horn-dog cousin Vernon, and the monk, Wayan, to head out on their latest adventure.

Throughout the book, I found myself bursting out with laughs, mostly at Vernon's juvenile humor, but nearly as often at Emerson. Evanovich knows how to write brilliant, quirky and engaging characters.

The setting for this latest case is America's Nat'l Parks that contain volcanic action. I loved this, particularly, since I just spent a bit this past summer camping at a Nat'l Park and exploring its volcanic region and I've been to Yellowstone, twice, where lots of the story took place.

This is a lighter suspense story with the bad guys evident from the beginning, but the mystery of what they are hiding in the national parks being the unknown element. There are a few 'ew' moments when things get gritty, but for the most part, the intrepid gang of heroes manage to keep life and limb intact while cheesing it up.

There is a very slow-build romance element between Emerson and Riley, but the situation they are in causes this to stop and start its way along. They are a fun pair of opposites.

Lorelei King told a saucy adventure well and I loved that though there are many more male voices than female, she nailed it. Great match for the tone and pace of the book.

So, my first outing with a Janet Evanovich book was a rousing good success and I will definitely want more Knight & Moon adventures. I think the cozy mystery and light romantic suspense lovers would be a good fit for this book/series.

My thanks to Penguin-Random House Audio for the opportunity to listen to this book in exchange for an honest review.
August 16, 2017
www.touchmyspinebookreviews.com
Review from my personal blog

Hello fellow bilbliophies and random internet users today I will be reviewing Janet Evanovich's newest NY Time's bestseller Dangerous Minds. This book made me laugh my a** off and pardon me, that's a whole lot of a**! I especially loved Vernon's character in this book! His ignorance is hilarious and quite charming. I also thoroughly enjoyed Riley Moon and Emerson Knight's relationship and how they qork togetger to save the day! I enjoyed this book more than the first one in this series, I felt tgis book was a little funnier but both great. So many critics have compared this series to the Stephanie Plum series and I feel you have to look at it completley different. I really enjoy how there is so much awesome quotes used and how these books are based on conspiracies. I might even enjoy this series a little more than Stephanie Plum in some ways. I know to some I might be blaspheming! Lol. Furthermore, I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking for an adventure and needs their weekly dose of sh*ts and giggles! Hope everyone has a book filled and fantastic day!
June 29, 2017
funny funny funny with clever banter, real honest to goodness interesting information and action.
an actual comment I once received on a report I submitted (junior high): "well written in your own inimitable style"...I think it applies absolutely to "Dangerous Minds"! Evan Ovid cracks me up and I reeeallllly needed some smiles this week.
Profile Image for Meeghan.
222 reviews37 followers
October 30, 2019
Ah Janet… you certainly have a formula, don't you. Not that I’m complaining, it’s a formula that works, and is highly enjoyable, it’s just predictable!

I will absolutely admit there came a point around fifty pages in where Riley’s car take a hatchet to the hood and then starts leaking fluids - we assume at this point that the car is not going to make it - and all I thought was “Oh my god. She’s Stephanie reincarnated.” It was around that point I considered putting the book down, but then I thought to myself “There’s no love triangle, so I think we're good.”

We start this book leaving off (we assume) not that long after the events of Curious Minds, and find that Riley is working for Emerson trying to untangle his estate’s affairs. Enter stage left a friend of Emerson’s (a Buddhist monk named Wayan Bagus) who brings an unusual problem to Emerson for solving. His island north of Samoa has disappeared. Now, I know what you’re thinking, Riley thought it too, how the hell does an island with a rainforest, beaches and a volcano just go missing? Well, it appears that Evanovich can make anything happen, and then seem strangely plausible. It’s a gift, I tell you.

In terms of character development, there isn’t a great deal with Riley or Emerson. We learn that Emerson enjoys Sherlock quotes and finds Riley attractive, and we learn that Riley still says “Crap on a cracker”, and Emerson’s eccentricities annoy her less. I’ll give you one guess where this is heading. We do learn a bit more about Emerson’s cousin Vernon, which is a nice distraction to the seemingly implausible plot.

There is absolutely something about the mystery/crime/chick-lit/bordering-on-fantasy that these stories hold. I guess we first see them in the Plum ‘between-the-novels’ with Diesel, and then he kind of to his own series with Lizzy which seems to have fallen off the radar. At best, this new series is a nice mix between the Fox and O’Hare and Plum series’. Some ridiculousness mixed with some far-fetched scheming. What I would like to see is Evanovich write about a relationship that *gasp* works. I know, right? Call me crazy. I do have hopes that either this or the Nick and Kate books will get that one day.

It was a good, fun, quick read though, and I think it will be my new favourite of hers. Call me crazy, but I think I like Emerson!

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ - 7/10 hearts
Profile Image for Katie.
232 reviews
October 26, 2017
Janet Evanovich's books are easy to read... but are they worth reading? This is always my primary question when reading Evanovich's many, many books, especially when reading these off-brand series with their Stephanie Plum knockoff female main characters. Moon and Knight, the main characters in this series, are simply oddball lesser versions of many of Evanovich's previous mystery-solving duos. This story had the backdrop of Nationals Parks, which was unique. An easy read and some fun banter between the quirky characters... and nothing more.
Profile Image for Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey).
1,372 reviews471 followers
October 23, 2018
Cute, though I kept drifting from the story. I think my problem was the characters. As charming and lovable as they were, their antics felt like a repeat from the previous book. There was no real growth or evolution thus the story fell a little flat.

However, I do really like the characters and long for more. Is that wrong?

Narration was excellent as always with LK.
Profile Image for Kathy Davie.
4,643 reviews699 followers
September 14, 2017
Second in the Knight and Moon comic romantic suspense series and revolving around a mismatched trio of characters.

My Take
It’s obvious. It’s silly. It’s James Bond action at its funniest with a crazy billionaire who connects the dots when half of them are missing and a cousin who firmly believes in Bigfoot.
”What choice do I have but to be myself? Everyone else was already taken.”
It’s Riley who’s the straight man in all this while Evanovich pulls in memes from television and movies as they go after a group of the baddest bad guys.

Using third person omniscient point-of-view, we learn the thoughts, feelings, and actions of all the important characters as the narrator roams freely through the story.

It’s a tale to read when you don’t want to think too hard before you laugh.

The Story
An old friend and mentor of Emerson’s has lost his island. It’s disappeared. Now, islands just don’t do that, and Emerson’s interest is piqued.

It’s a journey of adventure, action, and daring escapes through lava tubes, boiling fields, and a forklift as they track down how an entire island can go missing, not only physically but on every official map put out by the U.S. government.

The Characters
After losing her job in Curious Minds , 1, Riley Moon has become Emerson’s somewhat reluctant assistant. Her father is a sheriff back in Texas who, along with her brothers, is fascinated by NASCAR.

Emerson Knight is something of a crackpot, an immensely rich and brilliant nutjob with an interest in the metaphysical who loves to investigate. Vernon is Emerson’s cousin in semi-permanent residence in his own monster RV on the Mysterioso Manor estate. He’s also the host of a conspiracy blog, Mysterioso. Aunt Myra is Vernon’s mom, and she keeps house…and Emerson. Also living on the estate are a zooful of animals including Mr. Manfrengensen, a thieving monkey.

Wayan Bagus is a Buddhist monk who had been one of Emerson’s mentors.

Professor Marion White, a vulcanologist, teaches at George Mason University. Another friend, Milton, is a forensic photographer with the medical examiner’s office in D.C.

The missing include…
Zachary, Taylor, and Adam Brolowski, the Bro Brothers, are into extreme sports and have a YouTube channel. Emma and Joshua Bullfinch, Margo Tanner, and Richard are hikers.

National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is…
…in charge of mapping the world. Among other things. Cheryl Rhoads is the administrator. James is in charge of surveying national parks.

The National Park Service
Bart Young is the director. Eugene Spiro is the chief scientist. Tim “Tin Man” Mann is publicly in charge of protecting park resources for the Pacific West Region. The Rough Riders are a secret organization of elite rangers who are to protect secrets hidden inside national parks. Miles Bemmer. Berta is a mechanical engineer working for Young.

Yellowstone National Park
Beth is a guide. Dan works at the Physical Resources and Climate Science Branch. Bob Smith and Jim Jones appear to be deputy rangers under Francis Scully the deputy chief ranger.

Hawaii
Alani Yakomura was Vernon’s first girlfriend and is an astronomer at the Keek Observatory. Steven Yakomura is her dad and a helicopter pilot.

Jolene and Mary Beth went to high school with Vernon back in Harrisonburg.

The Cover and Title
The cover is a gorgeous blue-violet with the author’s name large and in a gray-shaded yellow centered at the top, the series information in a pale lilac in the middle, and the medium-sized title in white at the bottom. Framing the series info and the title are a pair of palm trees in silhouette, leaning in towards the pale sliver of moon.

The title is all about that mad, despotic director and his henchmen, for they all have Dangerous Minds.
Profile Image for Katelyn.
355 reviews10 followers
July 6, 2017
Another outrageous and humorous addition to this series. The events that take place are so unbelievable but once you get past that, it's a fun series. I love the banter between Emerson and Riley and I think it was played up a lot more in this installment, which was enjoyable. While Evanovich definitely has a formula for her books, this one has me hooked enough to keep reading.
Profile Image for Julie.
473 reviews3 followers
September 1, 2017
Evanovich has been a long time go to for quick witted, fun reads, but this was a let down. The plot was ridiculous and the characters even more so. The best way I can describe this book is utterly and annoyingly cartoonish. I'll continue to follow her other works, but I'm leaving the Moon and Knight series.
Profile Image for Shannon .
1,846 reviews131 followers
September 19, 2021
Dangerous Minds
Knight and Moon, Book 2

I Picked Up This Book Because: Continue the series.

Media Type: Audiobook

Riley Moon:
Emerson Knight:
Wayan Bagus, Cousin Vernon

The Story:

Another delightful and intriguing romp for Knight and Moon with more romance than, and science, than book one. These two somehow manage to pull off some spectacular feats and come through every situation relatively unscathed. Kinda reminds me of the TV show Leverage.

Narrator(s):

Ms King never lets me down.

The Random Thoughts:
Displaying 1 - 30 of 1,374 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.