Start by marking “Superior” as Want to Read:
Superior

Superior

A superhero's intern falls in love with a supervillain's apprentice in this star-crossed LGBT YA story from The Book Smugglers.

Here's the thing about being a superhero intern: there's a lot less crime fighting than you think there will be, what with the whole liability issue and the administrative headache of constantly monitoring the Heroic Help Hotline. The most action t
Published August 16th 2016 by Book Smugglers Publishing

Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Well HELLO there…A superhero story that doesn’t focus on the superhero?! *grins ear to ear* Count me in! I stumbled across this story last weekend by chance and I’m over the moon happy that I did. Countless hours of clicking around amazon paid off.

This short story has everything I love about superhero/supervillain tales. We have the humor, flirty banter, ridiculous hero names, friendship, and blurry lines between good & evil. I loved it! Where have you been all of my life Jessica Lack? :D

We
Katherine Locke
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
THAT WAS THE CUTEST THING I'VE READ IN A LONG TIME. If you loved Simon vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda, you'll love this quirky, funny novella about a bi boy interning for a superhero and then falling in love with a supervillain's apprentice. HIGHLY RECOMMEND. It's short! It's sweet! You'll laugh! You'll be happy! Seriously. Go buy it. It's $1.99 on ebook retailers. You have nothing to lose.
TheBookSmugglers
We publish it and it's out today *\o/* - a supercute Gay YA romance between a superhero intern and a supervillain apprentice.

We have a giveaway on Amazon right now: https://giveaway.amazon.com/p/3d726ac...
Gemma ♕ Books_McCoy
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
People in Urbanopolis are used to dealing with weird stuff. When half the population gets turned into farm animals, or the shopping mall starts levitating and firing laser cannons, that’s just, like, a typical Thursday.

This was so cute. Little bit angsty, super adorable and just what I needed today!

The only reason this isn’t 5 stars is because I desperately wanted it to be longer!
lottie
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, novella, fantasy, lgbt, 2017, ya
I WOULD READ 200,000 WORDS OF THIS
Tasha
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was everything and I need a full-length novel of this.
Bárbara
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was so much fun!

It was an interesting approach to the Superhero task and the impact these personalities have in everyday's life for people. It was very reminiscent of Civil War, in a way, if you want. Only with some ridiculously questionable villains; but I liked the idea of not really idolizing heroes, of making them just as much "people" as everyone else, showing that they are not excusable, no matter how much good they may bring.

Also, the thing between Jamie and Tad! Even in such short
Romie
That was a super quick and adorable story.

I liked how the author is like 'No one is totally bad or totally good, we're all in-between' because that's the way we are in real life. The super hero did bad things for 'the greater good' and the super villain doesn't hesitate to save children.
I liked the way the relationship between Jamie and Tad evolved, even though I would have loved a bit more, because that's just a novella and I'm pretty sure it would make a great full-length novel. It felt a bit
Ana
Can this short story really live up to its awesome premise? Yes, yest it can, but it needed to be longer in order to create more tension. Still, I look forward to more from this author.
Nikki
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was so much fun! <333 If you're in the mood for a short superhero story that doesn't take itself too seriously, while also being surprisingly full of heart, pick this up.
Tokio Myers
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Basically this book is about two guys falling in love and that's it. Yes, it's cute. The world building is meh, the dilemma is weak to the point that I have read this before in fan-fiction. Luckily I love fan-fiction so this didn't bother me. The love was sort of insta love but hey 56 pages I can live with it. All in all I enjoyed this but I must warn if you're not into love/m+m stories I wouldn't recommend.
robbie p.
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gayyyyy
This book has EVERYTHING I could ever ask for in my L(G)BT novels. Super powers? Check. Funny writing? Check. Gorgeous cover art? Check. Drama? CHECK!! My only grievance with this story is that it's NOT A FULL NOVEL! I went into it being excited that it was so short but I wish there was at least another...200 pages to explore the characters that I immediately fell in love with. The ending was rushed, mostly because of the nature of the short story, but it made me happy nonetheless.
emma
this was super cute and really great i would like 50 more please
Aleksandra
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved this novella!

Superior is adorable story about superhero's intern Jamie and the villain's intern Tad. Lots of sweet and heartfelt moments. The optimistic tone of the story is precious. Also I like the concept of "ordinary humans' life in city full of superheroes and villains". I like this take on popular superhero trope.
The romance is sweet and swoon-worthy. I like these kids;)

I adore this story. I need more.

The actual rating is 4.5 stars.
Laura (bbliophile)
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtqiapd, diversity
This was so cute!!! Just wish it'd been a lot longer.
Mel
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genre-sff
Oh my, this was absolutely adorable, sweet, and funny. Just the right fluffy shortie for in between longer reads and when you need a pick me up.

Despite the light tone and the snark and humour that shines through the first person narration and despite the short length, Superior has surprisingly much depth.

This book pays homage to superhero/villain stories and what I really love is that it not only plays with its expectations and tropes but also shows both love for these stories and adds a nice li
Alissa
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtqa
Hilarious, cute and perfectly ridiculous.
Kate (Reading Through Infinity)
A teen interning for a superhero begins to fall in love with a teen interning for a supervillain in this m/m romance story. Who wouldn't be intrigued by that premise? I certainly was and I wasn't disappointed; it was SO cute. Despite only being 50 pages long, the romance didn't feel rushed and the plot felt well-developed. The characters came to life on the page and Jamie, the protagonist, was funny and sarcastic in equal measures. Would highly recommend for a short, fun pride month read.
Sana
Sep 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Great characters, well-developed main characters (especially for a novella) and a fun setting in a city of superheroes and supervillains. Would have worked way better as a full-length novel and with unpredictable plot twists, though. Or maybe only if it weren't so predictable from the get-go.
Chessa
Short and sweet novella about an intern/sidekick working for a local superhero. Cute m/m romance, snarky but earnest main character, cool mom character that I'd honestly like to read more about. I'm keeping my eye out for more by the author!
Mike Oaks
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Super fun

This short story was a blast to read. It’s not grounded in reality and I didn’t care. Go go interns. 4.0 for mustard guns.
Kirsty-Marie Jones
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Okay, that was so fucking adorable.
Bojana
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
so freakin' cute.
a superhero story focused on the interns. hell yes.
abi
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this concept!!

So essentially, a superhero's intern/apprentice meets a villain's intern/apprentice and they fall for each other. Jamie (the superhero's intern) knows his job inside and out. He knows he's going to be kidnapped and used as a pawn to draw the attention of Captain Superior, but he's okay with that. During one of his almost regularly scheduled kidnappings at the hands of Terrorantula, he meets Tad, the villanous intern, and he's hot. It's forbidden, but they can't help themselv
Elysia
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: diverse-reads
2.5 stars.

This story was too short, waaayy too short. Although I enjoyed the premise and characters, I just wish the story had been further fleshed out. It was fun enough to read, but overall I just wanted more
jenice
:') i'm so happy, this was so cute. i need/want more
julia ☆ [owls reads]
4.5 stars!

“Guess I really took your breath away.”

Superior is most certainly the cutest thing I have ever read that is about superheroes! This adorable M/M novella is funny, witty, endearing, and I totally fell in love with it. It gives us two sidekicks fighting on opposite sides, ridiculous superhero/supervillain names, flirty banter, and young loooove.

Jessica Lack creates a really fun universe, humanizes heroes and villains, and writes about some interesting characters. The dialogue is
Ju Transcendancing
I loved this wholeheartedly, cute young queer love, all the super-hero tropes you can poke a stick at, but treated with equal parts love and irreverence. I'm so delighted by this, I hope there are more books in this universe, the characters and their romance are just gorgeous and made my heart melt. SO MUCH LOVE.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine 3 172 Aug 22, 2016 05:23PM

• The Long Past & Other Stories
  • Toil & Trouble: A Know Not Why Halloween (Mis)adventure
  • All Wrapped Up
  • Fence #5 (Fence, #5)
  • The Cat in the Cradle (Loka Legends, #1)
  • Teeth (The Icefjord Saga, #1)
  • Kaleidoscope: Diverse YA Science Fiction and Fantasy Stories
  • The Legend of the Golden Raven (The Wicker King #1.5)
  • Soul Marked (After the Fire, #1)
  • Sand and Ruin and Gold (Ruin, #1)
  • Silence of Winter (Cromwell Chronicles, #1)
  • Nightsiders
  • Guarding the Vampire's Ghost (Green's Hill, #3)
  • Space Battle Lunchtime Vol. 2: A Recipe for Disaster
  • Avi Cantor Has Six Months to Live
  • Bearly a Lady
  • Love and Romanpunk
“Yeah. His name's Tad." I almost add, I haven't see his abs yet, but I bet I want to lick 'em.” 1 likes
“How old are you?” he asks. “Um, sixteen. Why?” “Kidnapping a minor seems pretty bad.” “Um, dude, all kidnapping is bad,” I say. “So is creating killer chimps using the cosmic power of Neptune.” “Jupiter.” “Whatever.” 1 likes