Start by marking “Second-Time Cool: The Art of Chopping Up a Sweater” as Want to Read:
Second-Time Cool: The Art of Chopping Up a Sweater

Second-Time Cool: The Art of Chopping Up a Sweater

3.22  ·  Rating details ·  55 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
"Create unique fashion styles using old sweaters!"

Here's a book for anyone interested in designing a wardrobe that expresses individuality in fun and creative ways.

Second-Time Cool shows how easy it can be to recycle knitted sweaters and strike a dazzling look. Simply grab an old wool sweater, wash in the hot cycle, pick up the scissors, and follow the instructions outline
Published September 1st 2005 by Annick Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Second-Time Cool, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second-Time Cool

Lotus
Mar 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fashion-design
I thought this book was superb, very easy to do projects and I loved the detailed info on different stitches, knitting, how to make fringe etc.,

Lots of the projects I would wear myself but even the stuff I wouldn't I oftentimes found gave me many ideas of my own, or ways I could change the project into something more suitable.

I also loved that this was based on old sweaters, I mean, they are one of the cheapest items to buy second hand and easy to find loads of patterns & colours.

The first d
Lise Petrauskas
This book was really inspiring. I got it out from the library about three or four times. It has a very non-American aesthetic, which I like. It's not too fancy and cleaned up. I've made the slippers several times and one pair I wear daily. I've made two hats based on ideas from the book, and gloves, which I love, both for myself and as presents. I made leg warmers...It's shelved as a kid's book, but it is quite rich in interesting photographs of one-off projects. I don't get the frustration that ...more
May 13, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafting
mostly just pictures of different ideas of how to use old sweaters with a few references to different design inspirations. Not a lot of how to. A place to start with ideas.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
This book is horrid. I'd give it .25 stars if I could. It's mostly examples of ridiculous unwearable designer recycled looking clothing, not repurposed sweaters. You know how runway styles are often ridiculous? These make those look off-the-rack.

There are but a handful of items the book writers? Designers? made but they're mixed in with patterns from the past and ads that have no bearing whatsoever on the subject of the book. And they're hideous.

There are almost no instructions for anything, j
Juneau Public Library
This book is full of inspiring ideas about how you can re-use your old sweaters and turn them into new clothing and accessories. Make mittens, scarves, slippers, bags and more from the raw materials you already have in your closet. Includes an overview of how to re-purpose sweaters, basic instructions, and lots of pictures and ideas for how to embellish your re-purposed woolies.

Recommended by Cheryl
Trena
Nov 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Craftsters
This punky cool book about sweater reconstruction has a fair number of projects with detailed enough instructions. Some of the projects are too awesome for someone of my advanced age, but the information was useful and there are lots of pictures to inspire. I would flip through this one (or check it out from the library) before committing to buy, because it's something you read once or twice and then move on, not a reference to keep on your shelf.
Knitology
For anyone interested in designing a wardrobe that expresses individuality in fun and creative ways Simply grab an old wool sweater, wash in the hot cycle, pick up the scissors, and follow the instructions outlined in this book. Ideas include appliqués, slippers, vests, wrist and leg warmers, stylish tops, bags and purses, and much more. The book helps readers think creatively about what can become what: a sleeve can become a mitten, the center of a sweater a skirt, and a turtleneck a hat.
Autumn
Jul 23, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiber, clothes
This book is long on inspiration and short on practical advice. The things they do try to explain (crochet)are covered way too briefly to do any good. However, it is an authentic look at Scandinavian thrift store couture.

Mar 17, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, adult
Initial thoughts after reading (found in a notebook): Pretty, some of the things I would never wear, but I definitely would look it over because often times bad books are nearly as good as good books.
Katherine
Very inspiring. Not as much how-to detail as I would like.
Dee
The art of chopping up a sweater. Again, very cool ideas for recycling old sweaters. I've already got a couple projects in the works.
Cyndi
Nov 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The styles represented are clearly not for me, but I still found it rather inspirational.
Julie
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: subj-sewing, 2016
Really fun - ideas and high fashion mixed with DIY hobo clothes
Marianne Mullen
Great ideas book. Reviews basics of stitches, knitting, crochet, and has great pictures. Looking forward to using this book for inspiration as I begin new projects.
Kimberly
Dec 29, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not enough detail for me to figure this out on my own, or be able to just...do the crafts, I guess. It seemed very complicated.
Bobi Jensen
I like that people are trying things like this. I had higher expectations for the projects featured, though.
alicatstrut
Marika
Jun 29, 2013
Glorianne Roccanova
Jun 12, 2014
Anna-Stina Linden-Ivarsson was born in June 1951 in Sweden and is a freelance fashion journalist.

Anna-Stina studied art, craft, and design at the Nyckelviksskolan school in Stockholm. In the true tradition of Nordic design education, the school promoted artistic development with a focus on materials and techniques. With the experience and knowledge she gained from Nyckelviksskolan, she embarked on
More about Anna-Stina Linden Ivarsson...
“Hello, I am a quote,and you are reading me,because otherwise, how would you see that i just said all that stuff” 0 likes