Start by marking “The Performance” as Want to Read:
The Performance

The Performance

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  38 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Naive and talented, Hana Knight is a young classical pianist who has been gifted with a musical upbringing, a magnificent Steinway piano, a place at Juilliard and a patron who arranges everything, from her Manhattan apartment to her first European tour.

In the midst of her meteoric career, Hana becomes increasingly aware of an unusual follower, a homeless woman named Jacque
Published October 2016 by Douglas & McIntyre

To ask other readers questions about The Performance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Performance

DeB MaRtEnS
Although I didn't win The Performance on a Goodreads Giveaway, I was intrigued enough to go looking for it. Ann Erikkson's multi-layered, pensive novel is a delicate interplay on the healing power of beautiful music, the resilience after betrayal, the conflicting ties of family and choosing to see life as it really is and was, not as others' illusion. It is a powerful story about Hannah Knight, a virtuoso pianist and sheltered young woman whose goals for success are gradually cleaved of their si ...more
Shane
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it
This novel was presented as a Concerto with sections subtitled under a Prelude, three Movements and a Coda, but it did not quite live up to that promise.

Hana Knight is a classical music prodigy, snatched from Vancouver and sent to the Juilliard School in New York, and there taken under the wing of her benefactor, Mrs. Flynn, and put on the concert circuit. Hana is harbouring a grudge against her financier father, David, whom she insists is dead. Her mother is suffering from dementia back home an
Debi Yoneda
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book to take on a trip. You know what it is like to wait around in airports or to be sitting on an airplane wishing the flight was over, looking at your watch several times to realize that only 10 mins or so have gone by since the last time you looked....
I wanted something to read that was entertaining and easy to follow, something that you could put down and pick up again at your leisure. This book was easy to read, definitely entertaining, but absolutely not easy to put down!
Stephen Ring
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read for 2017-2018 season of Lorenzo Reading series. A new author to me, and an engaging, riveting picture of New York society versus the homeless, world of concert pianists. Plot contains a variety of twists, together with a brief homage to Stephen King's Misery that is not overplayed and totally unexpected. Sad and uplifting at the same time.
Kathy
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Book Club May 2017 selection.
Loved the story. Entertaining. Could not put down.
kathrynirena
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
I generally struggle with being engaged by books in the first person. It was compelling enough to finish, and I enjoyed the descriptions of music and of the world of performance. In many ways though, it reminded me of the Eric Walters-style books we read in middle school to introduce real-world issues to younger readers.

Hana's orchestration of the reveal to Tomas worked very well for the structure of the book but bent plausibility, in my opinion.
Yvette Pollock
Jun 05, 2018
Elisabeth Kroeker
Oct 26, 2016
Sharon
rated it did not like it
Nov 12, 2017