Start by marking “Two Bobbies: A True Story of Hurricane Katrina, Friendship, and Survival” as Want to Read:
Two Bobbies: A True Story of Hurricane Katrina, Friendship, and Survival

Two Bobbies: A True Story of Hurricane Katrina, Friendship, and Survival

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  1,102 Ratings  ·  219 Reviews

Bobbi and Bob Cat are the best of friends. When their hometown of New Orleans was struck by Hurricane Katrina, many lost everything. But not Bobbi and Bob Cat—they still had each other. Only by staying together could they survive. This is the story of their remarkable friendship.

Book Details: Format: Hardcover Publication Date: 8/5/2008 Pages: 32 Reading Level: Age 4 an
Published September 1st 2008 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens (first published August 5th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Two Bobbies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two Bobbies

Rebecca
Nov 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Animal lovers, Owen and Mzee fans
Recommended to Rebecca by: Evan
Awwwwww, geez! This was enough of a tearjerker without the twist at the end! The illustrations are wonderful (and the illustrator is from New Orleans); dog and cat faces are hard to get looking "right" when you are working in a realistic style, but these are perfect, right down to the two friends' contented expressions. Animal lovers, this book is for you.
Eva Leger
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I saw this mentioned in a friends review of another book - Tarra & Bella: The Elephant and Dog Who Became Best Friends if I'm not mistaken - and I had to check it out. When I looked on-line at my local library I saw there was a DVD also so I ordered both. The DVD happened to already be at my library so I was able to check it out right away. (We're still waiting for the book.)
I'm so, so happy I saw my friends review mentioning this. This is as lovely as it is sad. And it has a happy ending! I
Susan
Nov 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
7-10.The heartwarming true story of the unlikely friendship between Bobbie the dog and Bob Cat the cat and their survival following Hurricane Katrina. The two are peas in a pod, and both without tails.

*spoilers*
Although likely embellished at times (because who knows the real truth), they are inseparable following the storm and roam the streets of New Orleans for several months because getting rescued by a construction worker who brings them to a shelter. Bobbie was chained during the storm, the
June
May 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: animal lovers
I am an absolute sucker for these across animal species friendship stories! Checking it out for my boys.

A story of a cat and dog who survive Hurricane Katrina together. Four months later a worker on a construction crew begins feeding them. He trims the dogs chain, but leaves some because the cat seems to like following it. After feeding them for a week, his boss tells him that he has to get rid of them. The dog won't let him touch the cat, but he lures them in the van with food. He takes them to
Joan
Jul 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any animal lover, any child who has a disability or knows one with a disability.
Recommended to Joan by: June Krell
This charming story of interspecies friendship is a keeper. The cat and dog both survived Katrina after being abandoned by their owners. Eventually they were taken to a shelter and separated. Both animals threw fits. Finally they put them back together. After watching them together, they realized the cat was blind and the dog guided and protected the cat. Both, btw had bobbed tails which inspired their names.
Ann
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So, you know it is a great book when reading it aloud to fourth grade, and you realize you are tearing up. And then you look up at the class and see a lot of red, teary eyes looking back at you. We all made it through and then talked about how we love our pets and how hard it had to be to leave them behind.

Sweet story
Feb 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A cat and dog separated from their owners help each other survive after Hurricane Katrina. As a librarian, I frequently read picture books. Once in several years, I will read a picture book that I just have to buy in spite of the fact that I have no small children. This book is one that I must have. Two Bobbies, is a wonderful TRUE story that touches people of all ages.
Peacegal
May 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Two Bobbies is a wonderful true story that belongs on the top shelf of your humane education bookshelf.

The “Two Bobbies” are Bobbi, a dog, and Bob Cat, a cat, so named for their “bobbed” tails. The animals had been left homeless by Hurricane Katrina and had been roaming the devastated streets of New Orleans for an unknown period of time before being discovered and rescued. People who encountered the two were amazed by their devotion to each other—Bob Cat followed Bobbi everywhere, and Bobbi was
Dolly
Apr 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a wonderful story, at times heartwrenching, but overall, a tender story of love, companionship and survival. The story illustrates to a small extent how many beloved pets suffered greatly during the Hurricane Katrina disaster. So many pet owners were devastated to leave their pets behind, and some refused to evacuate without them, choosing to brave the flood rather than desert them.

This event changed the perspective of rescuing organizations, to the point that when I attended a class on
Holly
I picked this book up awhile ago and just got around to reading it. I'm so glad I did! It's a true story about two tailless pets, Bobbi the dog and Bob Cat the cat, who were left behind in Hurricane Katrina. Miraculously, the two survived months and were finally taken to a shelter where they were placed in separate rooms. As a result of the best friends' protests, the volunteers put them together where they were happy. It was discovered there that Bob Cat was blind - Bobbi had been his seeing-ey ...more
Favorite Animal Book? 2 10 Mar 15, 2017 05:57AM
  • Nubs: The True Story of a Mutt, a Marine & a Miracle
  • Tarra & Bella: The Elephant and Dog Who Became Best Friends
  • Friends: True Stories of Extraordinary Animal Friendships
  • Owen and Mzee: The True Story of a Remarkable Friendship
  • Meet the Dogs of Bedlam Farm
  • Boys of Steel: The Creators of Superman
  • Neighborhood Sharks: Hunting with the Great Whites of California's Farallon Islands
  • Alex the Parrot: No Ordinary Bird: A True Story
  • Saving Audie: A Pit Bull Puppy Gets a Second Chance
  • Barbed Wire Baseball
  • How to Swallow a Pig: Step-by-Step Advice from the Animal Kingdom
  • Elizabeth, Queen of the Seas
Kirby Larson went from history-phobe to history fanatic while writing the 2007 Newbery Honor Book, HATTIE BIG SKY. Her passion for historical fiction is reflected in titles such as THE FENCES BETWEEN US, THE FRIENDSHIP DOLL, as well as the sequel to HATTIE BIG SKY, HATTIE EVER AFTER, and her two latest titles, DUKE--which was nominated for 5 state Young Reader Choice awards as well as being a fina ...more
More about Kirby Larson...