Start by marking “The Backyard Gardener: Simple, Easy, and Beautiful Gardening with Vegetables, Herbs, and Flowers” as Want to Read:

A beautiful and simple guide to edible gardening The "garden to table" movement is inspiring another generation of gardeners but many of them have questions. How important is composting? Is seed saving really worth it? Focusing on sustainable, organic growing practices and plants, The Backyard Gardener is a comprehensive handbook that will help get them started. Kelly Orze ...more
Published June 1st 2017 by Lyons Press

To ask other readers questions about The Backyard Gardener, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Backyard Gardener

Hayley
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I got this lovely informational book at the library on the whim (friendly reminder to use your public library kids!) since I'm looking forward to having the space to create my own garden this Summer! As a beginner to gardening I can admit that I feel a little weird reviewing this book, but I generally think its a great introduction to gardening! It was very understandable, well organized and had information for both large scale and small scale gardens! It was super addicting to my ravenclaw ego ...more
Alex Can Read
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received an e-ARC from Netgalley in exchange for my unbiased review.

I am about to buy my first house and it just so happens to have raised garden boxes already. So when I saw this book pop up on NetGalley, I thought, "What timing!" and requested the ARC. I learned a lot about gardening - soil, plants, bugs, additives, tools, etc. But I did end up spending a lot of time looking up new terms. "What is a cucurbit?" I wanted the author to define terms to me in the text or as sidebars. She did occ
Tara
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I checked this out from the library since I just moved into a house with a garden. It is packed full of easily digestible information for the beginning gardener. I think I am going to purchase a copy to use for reference.
Amary Chapman
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful pictures populate the pages as you are lead through the steps to a successful garden, starting with the soil. An important part of any garden, suggestions are made of emendments that improve it, but the recommendation of testing it are the most important. It's tough to know what the soil lacks without these simple tests.
Tips on tools,time saving, plant support, pest and diseases abound.
It includes aid in starting from seed and transplanting your plants, rotation, companion planting a
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I decided to plant a small square-foot garden, I checked out numerous garden books from my local library. This was the text that I kept referring back throughout the process. Fast-forward a couple of months and I've got beautiful veggies, herbs, and flowers, and am hatching plans for fall/winter crops, and am inspired to figure out how I might expand the garden next year.
Noorilhuda
May 06, 2017 rated it liked it
good informative book based on the hands-on tried and tested experience of a professional farmer / gardener. Condition-specific to foreign (U.S.?) weather and professional growers (case in point: the monthly checklist at the end).

It's a lengthy read, so get the glasses out.
Alyssa
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Definitely one of the best gardening books I've come across. I continually refer back to it and it helps with all seasons of planting for pretty much all climates.
Meghan
Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Learned a couple new things, but most of it I knew from reading gardening magazines, websites, books, etc. Very beautiful photographs throughout. A good beginner text.
Alexis Braun
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not quite the beginner gardening book I was hoping for!
Rachel
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
It was pretty good!
Patty
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
A quite advanced guide to organic gardening. There's a lot of useful information in these pages, but it was beyond my skills and/or needs. On the other hand, if you want to know how to adjust the pH balance of your soil, establish multi-year three-foot compost piles, build your own greenhouse, lay out landscape fabric, or set up four-year crop rotation plans, this is the book for you! Given that I live in an apartment with a few windows and a fire escape to garden on, it was less useful to me. I ...more
YC
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great informative book. Heavy-handed with the information, I think it should satisfy both beginners and the experienced. I like that it incorporates stories and anecdotes as well as clear, expressive instructions for the garden.
Books In Brogan
Mar 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a great book for a beginner gardener who want to read a book about gardening and not just an instructional book.  There a   plenty of explanation and antidotes from the authors gardening adventures.  There are plenty of clear explantions and even a few homemade pest control recipes. This review was originally posted on Books In Brogan
Chris Torretta
Mar 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Working on a review for this one. It's a great book but a little, or really a LOT over my head. Chock full of information that I was not ready for. Maybe those that are into gardening and not just starting out will get more out of this than I was able to.

More review coming soon!

Received by publisher in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!
PWRL
Apr 28, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2017-new
SM
Shannon
Feb 04, 2019
Polly Krize
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

From garden to table, this is full of sensible ideas about taking care of your soil, planting, harvesting and just about everything else to do with growing a healthy vegetable garden. Beautifully photographed and presented. Recommended.
Sarah Lehto
Jul 13, 2018
Ashley
Jun 04, 2018
Jan
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I checked this out from the library and it would definitely be a good garden book to purchase.
Kelly
Jun 01, 2017
Octobur Frost
Jan 04, 2019
1 follower
Kelly Orzel is a horticulturist, Master Gardener and life-long grower of green things. She fell in love with plants and dirt when she was 15 and working at a local nursery. Now with more than 20 years of experience and a master's degree in Horticulture, Kelly's infatuation with plants has manifested itself with Bowery Beach Farm in Cape Elizabeth, Maine. As a sustainable, organic girl-farmer she s ...more