Start by marking “A Lesson in Love and Murder” as Want to Read:
A Lesson in Love and Murder

A Lesson in Love and Murder

(Herringford and Watts Mysteries #2)

From political danger to personal drama, life is about to get explosive...

The legacy of literary icon Sherlock Holmes is alive and well in 1912 Canada, where best friends Merinda Herringford and Jem Watts continue to develop their skills as consulting detectives.

Published November 16th 2016 by Thorndike Press Large Print (first published October 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about A Lesson in Love and Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Lesson in Love and Murder

Rachel McMillan
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
do you like mounties? of course you do. this book has a good one
Jes Drew
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ugh! This book was so much tenser than the first one. The stakes got higher, the romances more complicated- and who's this Benny? Merinda is obviously Jasper's future bride!

#TeamJasper

Anyway, it's our loveable four characters back at their old games. Only there's been a few changes. Namely, due to the main romance of the previous book, Watts is maneuvering through the early months of her marriage. Also, there are anarchists in Toronto. Then there's Benny, who has caught Merinda's eye.

But Jasper!
Kara
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such fun! Once again, Ms. McMillan has taken me on an adventure right from page one and kept me fully invested in these characters lives. Y'all know how characters make or break a story for me, and this entire cast are some of the most frustrating yet charming! I love the friendships, the romances, all the relationships between them. They're quirky, and sometimes make terrible decisions, but isn't that true of real life? And I love how they care for one another, Jem and Merinda especially. Their ...more
Staci
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
The Herringford and Watts Mysteries is a fun historical mystery series. There are very few historical mysteries so I counted it a special blessing when I find one. While this second novel in the series didn't have as many comedic moments as The Bachelor Girl's Guide to Murder, there were still a few laughs within its pages. One of my favorite lines was each time Merinda used the phrase "Oh Cracker Jacks!" when she was frustrated about something or with someone.

In A Lesson in Love and Murder, I e
Melanie Kilsby
Another cute and quirky book by Rachel McMillan.
This one felt a little less mysterious and more focused on real-life issues of that time... in the sense of family or domestic issues that were represented, along with survival. Some elements were hard to digest and the struggle of love and friendship were absolutely prevalent. The ending was very shocking and I am interested in knowing where Rachel will take this story.

One of my favourite quotes was:
“But I want you to upset me if it lets me under
Amanda Geaney
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted on christianshelfesteem.wordpress.com

The Herringford & Watts Mysteries series has hit it’s stride with book #2, A Lesson in Love & Murder. Rachel McMillan’s explosive opening to this story along with her well timed plot twists kept me turning pages until the end. This funny, fast-paced mystery will have you scurrying through the streets of Edwardian era Toronto and Chicago in pursuit of a killer.

The characters we encountered in the lead novel, The Bachelor Girl’s Guide
Lynn Spencer
4.5 stars I really enjoyed this second installment in the Herringford and Watts mysteries. The characterization keeps getting better and better and that made this book an engaging read. I'm definitely looking forward to Book #3!
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“From political danger to personal drama, life is about to get explosive...
Kelly Bridgewater
After reading the first novel The Bachelor Girl's Guide to Murder by Rachel McMillan and her new novellas, I couldn't wait to see more of her stories featuring Jem and Merinda. As an avid fan of Sherlock Holmes, I enjoy reading her stories that give homage to such a great writer. McMillan wraps me in a story that is unique with characters that I was proud to return to.

The writing was concise and strong. Relying on four different perspectives, I experienced all of their fears, uncertainties, and
Susie Finkbeiner
I've come to love these characters! I wish they could go on and on forever. McMillan doesn't just write a cozy mystery, she writes deeply developed characters with complexity of emotion and thought. This is why I love her books.

Also, she's got a sharp wit.

These books are fantastic.
Rebecca
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The least likely scenario."

Truer words were never spoken, for Jemima Watts "DeLuca" and Merinda Herringford are an organically eccentric investigative duo; armed with wit, disguise, and tenacity which serve them well, for with minimal effort they continually find themselves in life and death situations.

Their next case appears shortly after Jem is forced to admit that "crime will just have to start to pay"; bemoaning the loss of her day job, she is becoming more dependent on the income the two r
Vaibhavi
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I did not read the first book of the series (I jumped straight to this one, which is the second) and I think that influenced how I read the book. I did not connect to the characters as much as I should have. The mystery was fun but not anything jaw dropping. However the descriptions were wonderful, really helps make little pictures in your head when your reading!
4 Stars

Challenges:
♥ March Mystery Madness 2018: Historical
♥ AMMP: Fairy Tale Spell Out: 'L’ in Ugly Duckling & 'R' Pied Piper
♥ RRRC: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Quarterly Challenge:#3. The Huntsman: Read a book with an outdoorsy character.
Miranda Atchley
In 1912, the anarchist movement is gaining speed. Shouting for equality, those involved in the movement seem to have a great goal in mind; a goal that is appealing to a liberal minded lady detective in Toronto. Yet they use deadly means to get their point across. When Detective Constable Jasper Forth's colleague is killed in an explosion caused by one of the anarchists, Merinda Herringford finds that the attacks are hitting too close to home. Meanwhile, Jem receives some news that is surprising ...more
Janka H.
Another fun foray into the cozy mysteries of Herringford and Watts - even if Jem is DeLuca now. But can a marriage stop the girl when she wants to continue the sleuthing?

Lesson in murder this is not, in my books. But this might be my personal preference, as I am not keen on "cozies".
But lesson in love this is, of love in many forms - of the newlyweds' love with their first horn-locking, of the one who has fallen in love, of the friends, of the family...The characters here can and do love.
So I
Jalynn Patterson
About the Book:

From political danger to personal drama, life is about to get explosive...

The city of Toronto has been thrown into upheaval by the arrival of radical anarchist Emma Goldman. Amid this political chaos, Benny Citrone of the Royal North-West Mounted Police arrives at Merinda and Jem's flat, request
Just Commonly
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have you read my review on the first full novel of the Herringford & Watts Mysteries series, titled The Bachelor Girl's Guide to Murder by Rachel McMillan? If not, check it out now, before jumping in on this one for the sophomore edition to the series. We continue with the quirky dynamic duo of Merinda and Jem, along with the various sidekicks in their lives to solve yet another mystery. This time, we traipse through the streets of Toronto to the campaign scenes in Chicago. Adding a homage t ...more
Suzie Waltner
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sleuthing team of (Merinda) Herringford and (Jemima) Watts returns for another full-length adventure and brings along familiar backup in the forms of Jasper Forth and Ray DeLuca.

If you read “A Lesson in Love and Murder,” you know that Merinda is the go-getter of these female detectives and Jemima is the voice of caution and reason (usually, anyway). These women are fun characters to follow even though not everything they experience is a day at the beach.

Jemima and Ray are discovering that ma
Ian
Merinda Herringford and Jemima DeLuca (nee Watts) get up to more mischief and mayhem in this simply delightful next episode in the series. The two detectives' services are engaged by a Benny Citrone, a Canadian Mountie. He's chasing his cousin, another Mountie, who is believed to be behind a series of bombings in downtown Toronto. One of which kills the colleague of Jasper Forth, our intrepid cop, who has fallen hard for Merinda. The chase soon has them all heading across the border to Chicago w ...more
Karen R
Another rollicking adventure for the intrepid pair of lady detectives, Herringford and Watts!
This time they travel from the busy streets of 1912 Toronto down to the docks of Chicago, on the case of their new client, one ruggedly handsome Mountie, who seems to have Miranda in knots. The honeymoon is over for Ray and Jem as the problems of real-life hit them full force. With the arrival of an anarchist group, the situation becomes explosive, and the detectives find themselves in over their heads.
Julie Graves
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
Newly married Jem and Ray are struggling to make ends meet. And Jem knows it will be even more difficult because as a married woman she is no longer allowed to work. On top of all of that Ray takes off to Chicago to help his sister.

Merinda and Jem have a new client. Benny Citrone is in search of his cousin who has become involved with the anarchists. Benny is a mounted police officer and bound to do his duty by finding Jonathan. He enlists the help of Merinda and Jem.

Much to Ray's dismay the gir
Jamie
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Jem and Merinda are back! In this second full length installment from Rachel McMillian, not only do we deal with mystery and detective work, but McMillian dives deeper into themes of independence, friendship, and family.

If you have enjoyed McMillian’s previous books, then you’ll want to add this one to the list. In her entertaining and endearing writing style, Rachel draws the readers deeper into the lives of Merinda and Jem. I really enjoyed seeing how each has changed as their lives change an
Katie
I really struggled with deciding on a rating. To be honest, I skimmed parts of the book. But I also really liked the last third of the book and the ending.
With the first book, one of the aspects I enjoyed the most was the sarcasm and quirkiness of Jem and Merinda. I don't feel like that was present in this book, they both grated on my nerves a little. I am also not that familiar with Toronto (or Canada in general) nor the suffragate and the anarchists movement. I think if I had more prior knowl
Uma
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of the book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
And I'm super excited to read more from this author. The characters - both Jem and Merinda - are beautifully written... Although I'm dying to learn more about Merinda and can't wait to look at the other books to understand what's going on with Jasper and with Ray.
Definitely a strong introduction to a new writer for me... Given that there are so many writers in the mystery genre, it's rare to come across an author who
Ashley Johnson
Courtney Clark
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Explosions! Chicago! Jem & Merinda as sleuthy as ever with Jasper & Ray never far behind. And Benny! Mystery, disastrous plots, & anecdotes. Full review to come.
KATRINA
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: goodreads-win
Goodreads win.

This was a pretty darn good read. It held my ayyention from start to end. It had me on the edge of my seat. The writi g was great. A book I would recommend.
Nadine Keels
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An anarchist movement and deadly explosions have put 1912 Toronto on edge. While lady detective duo Herringford and Watts get involved in the chaos, they also find themselves juggling matters of the heart concerning the men in their lives. Then, the trail of bombings leads the detectives to Chicago—where they learn of an assassination plot against former president Theodore Roosevelt in A Lesson in Love and Murder, a novel by author Rachel McMillan.

I’ll admit that even though I really like the ch
Challice Neipp
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Herringford and Watts Mysteries. Fun and charming. I love the fact that it was not filled with vulgar language. A refreshing read! If you like the Murdock Mysteries, I think you will enjoy these lady sleuths. I really enjoyed the references to Sherlock Holmes, The Canadian Mountie handbook, and even some appearances of Godfrey's Book. The book takes place in Canada as well as Chicago. Since this was the first book I read but the second book in the series, I found it difficult t ...more
Veronica
This was an interesting story with a fast pace. From trolley bombings to a new love interest for Merinda, from tracking a dangerous man to saving a future president, there wasn't a dull moment! I really liked Benny; it was interesting getting his perspective of the girls and seeing how his background as a Mountie influenced his choices. I liked that this story traveled around more and I always loved the witty banter. I was frustrated a bit with Ray and his sister for some choices they made and t ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
Coffee, Chapters ...: A Lesson in Love and Murder 20 28 Oct 07, 2016 08:19PM

• The Rest is Silence (Billy Boyle World War II #9)
  • The Thorn Keeper (Penned in Time, #2)
  • The Humbug Murders (Ebenezer Scrooge Mysteries #1)
  • The Book of Kings (Mister Max, #3)
  • Timeless Love: Romantic Stories that Span the Ages
  • Deeds of Darkness (The Chronicles of Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon #10)
  • The Diaries Of Pontius Pilate (Fellowship of the Essentials, #1)
  • The Cautious Maiden (The Everstone Chronicles, #4)
  • Affairs at Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #7)
  • Long Time Gone (The Cimarron Legacy, #2)
  • Nail's Crossing (Bill Maytubby & Hannah Bond Mystery #1)
  • At Some Disputed Barricade (World War I, #4)
  • The Blackest Bird
Rachel McMillan is the author of the Herringford and Watts mysteries, the Three Quarter Time series of contemporary romances set in opulent Vienna, and the Van Buren and DeLuca mysteries praised for bringing an authentic 1930’s Boston world to life while normalizing the fictional conversation surrounding mental illness. Her first work of non-fiction, described as a romantic’s guide to independent ...more

Herringford and Watts Mysteries (3 books)
  • The Bachelor Girl's Guide to Murder (Herringford and Watts, #1)
  • The White Feather Murders (Herringford and Watts Mysteries, #3)
“God is the greatest mystery. And when you believe in something, no matter how grand, no matter how invincible, you are willing to do anything, however preposterous, tosee it to its solution.” 5 likes
“He looked her over, appraising her, and she saw her worth reflected in the sheen of his eyes. He treasured her, despite every flaw, despite every rough edge. He cherished every imperfection. It startled her. She should rise to be worthy of this unadulterated love, shouldn't she? Heat flamed her face. She was careless in undermining Jasper's passion. His authority. She didn't deserve the way the way he looked at her.” 2 likes