Start by marking “The Rainbow Goblins” as Want to Read:
The Rainbow Goblins

The Rainbow Goblins

Since its first publication more than 15 years ago, the fantastic colors, amazing detail, and sweeping scope of The Rainbow Goblins have irresistibly invited tens of thousands of children to plunge their imaginations into its vivid world. This charming allegorical tale is once again available in a new edition. 18 color illustrations.
Published June 17th 1978 by Thames Hudson (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Rainbow Goblins, please sign up.
Michelle Humphreys Les Claypool said "Many years ago when my children were little kidlets scurrying around the place wreaking havoc and whatnot till it was time for bed…moreLes Claypool said "Many years ago when my children were little kidlets scurrying around the place wreaking havoc and whatnot till it was time for bed and book time, my wife turned to them on to a book called "The Rainbow Goblins" ; "The dark imagery and beauty of the art struck me immediately and I thought, this would make good fodder for a piece of music." The use of color and darkness both in the paintings and the writing was compelling and now, nearly 2 decades later, the metaphor of greed, gluttony and deceit vs. unity of the masses is eerily relevant. I brought the notion to the Primus guys and they were all for it. ..." ~ Via website (less)

Jason Koivu
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
* * * Read and reviewed with my niece Emma * * *

The very idea of reading this book had Emma racing to finish her math and grammar homework, so that we could get to reading time.

It must have sounded like a promising read, I think because of her love/hate relationship with goblins. You see, we've built forts for heroes (us) and created dark blanket caves as a lair for goblins (usually pillows). We've then made valiant sorties from the fort into the goblin lair with our Dollar Store swords and armo
Rodney
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
The story is a bit too short, but fascinating. You cannot deny the beauty of the illustrations. This is a book I will continue to read to the little ones.
Meghan Pinson
Dec 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, children-s
*Spoiler alert

My five-year-old was really excited about this book when he got it for Christmas. We opened the front cover and he said, "I love this artist. Look at these illustrations!" We started the story & he was really into the goblins, the colors, the rainbow-sucking. But as the story developed, things went downhill. Turns out he was pulling for the goblins and he wasn't supposed to. It didn't concern him that they're joykillers and color thieves . . . he identified with the little tric
Lori
Jun 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wow this book is listed! I don't know how we got a copy, who gave it to my husband, but I thank them from the bottom of my heart. I discovered it's magic when Jake was very young, and for some reason I've been thinking of it lately, haven't seen it for 10 years ago. I hope I still have it and didn't give it away in some mad frenzy of clean up! THis is a book to sit quietly and slowly contemplate unique and richly saturated art work. There's a story there too, rather grim like Grimm, and it all i ...more
Angie
May 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children and adults
As a child, as an adult I feel the magic from this book.
Emily
Mar 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Totally 70s trippy book. Old school Disney should have made a movie out of this one.
Frankie Brown
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful! Hideous! I love it!
Mary
A timeless picture book classic with breathtaking illustrations.
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
There's not much I can say that hasn't already been said by other reviewers. The illustrations are absolutely fucking gorgeous and if you like rainbow-based stories/books, you definitely want this.
Cindy
Feb 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This astonishing book is filled with oil paintings on oak panels, which are reproduced about 2/3 of the original size. They are breathtaking.

I was pretty much obsessed with rainbows in the 70s, and I bought this incredibly beautiful book when it first came out - I read it a million times. The story tells of 7 evil goblins who capture rainbows and drink the colors. They learn of a valley where the rainbow is born, and they go there to gobble up the final, beautiful rainbow. They shelter in a cav
Keli
Oct 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Synopsis

Beautiful artwork accompanies this story of seven golbins in search of a delicious rainbow only to be outwitted by the flowers. Through this experience, the rainbow learns to never touch the earth again.

Review

First and foremost, the artwork in this book is stunning. It is a reproduction of Ul De Rico's original art which was oil paints on oak panels. The colorful and powerful art is so carfully rendered that the wood grain can be seen on the pages.

The lyrical narrative matches the panor
Chloe
Feb 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: not-owned, childrens
The most beautiful book that I have ever read, The Rainbow Goblins was essential bedtime reading for young Lolo from the tender age of 3 until such time as I managed to begin sneaking flashlights under the covers and reading until dawn. I still have my copy of this, as frayed and battered as it is, and still turn to it quite regularly.
Jared
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved the book. Most stories these days leave out good versus bad. I love how this book defines both clearly, fun to read with your kids.
Juliette
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have read this book so many times over the years. The story, while cute, is really secondary to the amazing artwork of Ul De Rico. I can stare at these vibrant pictures for hours they are so beautiful. In the author's blurb at the end of the book it states that the paintings in the book are 1/3 of the originals, I would love to see those in real life.
Mely
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I absolutely loved the illustrations of this book. So beautifully detailed and artistic. The story itself was a bit dark and mature for my four-year-old, but I do think it's a great story to share with children. A uniquely envisioned story about the history the history of the rainbow. I would recommend this to anybody, including adults, even if it's just to admire the art.
Droy
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My parents used to read this book to my sister and I as children. I need to find where I can get a copy to read to my own children. the illustrations are still vividly engrained in my mind. This book is a must read for kids!
Eric T. Voigt
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Those paintings were out of control.
Donna Mork
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great story. Wonderful illustrations. The goblins try to drain the rainbows, but the flowers defend it.
Cheryl
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful artwork. My kids liked this book and my 5 year old granddaughter likes it too.
Brooke Kruger
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
The story is cute and the illustrations are beautiful!
Page Morgan
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’ve had this book for more 35 years. My mom gave it to me when i was 12. It’s thoughtful, engaging , and gorgeous. Everyone should have it. 🙂
Maeve
Aug 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
No thanks.
Manda
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The artwork is stunning!!
Melanie
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully Illustrated, timeless children’s book. The story is attention grabbing and fun. One of my favorites from childhood.
Leslie Ann
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is beautiful
Sam
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
The story was cute, but I what really enjoyed was the artwork.
Victoria Gibson
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cute, simple, beautiful
Ashur
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile-lit
I discovered this book because it turns out that there are multiple concept albums inspired by the Rainbow Goblins, including by Primus and Masayoshi Takanaka.
Donovan
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidlit
a childhood favorite that still stands
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »