Start by marking “Hvis jeg var din pige” as Want to Read:
Hvis jeg var din pige

Hvis jeg var din pige

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  27,044 ratings  ·  4,459 reviews
Amanda Hardy er den nye pige på skolen. Ligesom alle andre vil hun gerne få nye venner og passe ind. Men Amanda har en hemmelighed. Og hun vil ikke så tæt på nogen, at de risikerer at opdage den.
Men da hun møder den søde og venlige Grant, kan Amanda ikke lade være med at lade ham komme tæt. De tilbringer mere og mere tid sammen, og det begynder at gå op for hende, at hun
Published October 10th 2016 by Carlsen (first published May 3rd 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Hvis jeg var din pige, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Shira Glassman As others have mentioned, this book was written by a trans woman. If you're curious about reading more literature by trans women while you're waiting…moreAs others have mentioned, this book was written by a trans woman. If you're curious about reading more literature by trans women while you're waiting for IF I WAS YOUR GIRL to come out, I highly recommend A SAFE GIRL TO LOVE by Casey Plett and NEVADA by Imogene Binnie (however, both of these are literary fiction rather than YA.)(less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·
 ·  27,044 ratings  ·  4,459 reviews

Start your review of Hvis jeg var din pige
Emily May
Please note: it is wonderful to feel like your opinion is valued, but this is a trans book by a trans woman and I am a cis reader - please consider the limitations of my perspective and seek out the reviews and commentary of trans readers. For example: http://plenitudemagazine.ca/casey-ple...
Thank you.

****
“You can have anything,” she said “once you admit you deserve it.”

If I Was Your Girl is an important book. It fills a gap that needed to be filled. It will make many people feel better about
Lola
The thing with If I Was Your Girl is that it’s not exactly entertaining, enthralling, extremely interesting or surprising.

Instead, it’s important, eye-opening, thought-provoking and emotional.

It all depends on what you want. If you want to read a book that you’ll breeze through while laughing and smiling and just having a great time, If I Was Your Girl is not the right pick.

This is the type of story you read because you want to learn more about the LGBT community, want to support them in an
Raeleen Lemay
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtqia, young-adult
Read for Book Riot's 2017 Read Harder Challenge: #15 Read a YA or middle grade novel by an author who identifies as LGBTQ+

I totally forgot to review this when I finished it (mainly because it was like 3 am when I finished it, wow) but I really enjoyed it! My only qualm is sort of a spoiler, so I don't want to talk about it too much, but overall I found this to be a super enjoyable read. I think this is the first YA book with a trans main character I've ever read that wasn't your typical "coming
Elise (TheBookishActress)
EDIT:
[TW for sexual assault & domestic abuse.]
It has been brought to my attention that the author has been accused of raping and abusing her spouse, a crime she has seemingly confessed to over email yet publicly denied. This is the source. I do not think rape is a forgivable crime. I will no longer be reading or supporting anything by this author.

I went into this slightly paranoid it would be a generic Book Written To Be Important. From reviews, I couldn’t tell if people had thought they
Emma Giordano
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars!! I really enjoyed this read. It was a super quick, fast-paced novel, yet still conquered sensitive topics.

This is definitely a cute, sweet book that finds an equal balance with some intense subject matter. It was a lovely reading experience to be able to be smiling with giddiness one moment, but feeling heartbroken and wanting to cry the next. Definitely a book with a whirlwind of emotions!

If I Was Your Girl was the first book I've read with a trans main character, and I'm
April (Aprilius Maximus)
This was freaking INCREDIBLE, y'all.

Trigger Warning: depression, suicide, suicidal thoughts, severe bullying.
Wendy Darling
3.5 stars It's so very important that books like this are written and published and read, and IF I WAS YOUR GIRL heralds the beginning of a promising new YA imprint at Flatiron Books. I'm especially heartened by the fact that not only is this a story about a trans girl written by a trans woman, but that the cover art also features a trans model. More of this, please.

Still, in my eyes, there are two major obstacles that prevent this from being a truly great book rather than "just" a
karen
congratulations! semifinalist in goodreads' best young adult fiction category 2016!

"It's easy to act like my past never happened, but it feels like I've put up this wall around my heart that stops me from being really close with him."

"You know walls are there for a reason though, right?… They keep things safe and they keep things from falling apart."

reviewing this book in terms of whether it is "good" or "not good" is almost irrelevant, because it's one of those books that needs to exist for
Riley
*screams from the rooftop* READ THIS BOOK!
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
I know this is a book that will stay with me. It walks a truthful line between queer tragedy and a more positive reality, which can be a difficult topic to straddle. It is honest, and it is emotional, and it is absolutely a story that everyone will get something out of.
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

I was going to not post anything in my review space and make some sort of disclaimer instead stating “sometimes you just probably shouldn’t write anything at all,” but then I saw my friend Rachel had already done that and I didn’t really want to get sued for plagiarism, so here I am. Instead of leaving nothing, I’m going to use the author’s own words . . . . .

“I have, in some ways, cleaved to stereotypes and even bent rules to make
Jennifer Masterson
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, young-adult
3.5 Stars rounded up to 4. This is a VERY important book!!! "If I Was Your Girl" is a YA Novel that parents should encourage their children to read!!! So why did I read this book? Because of all of the hate going on as of late, and because of the new discriminatory law directed towards the transgender community in North Carolina.

Amanda is a teenager who has transitioned from a boy to a girl. She moves from her mother's to her somewhat estranged father's town to start over in a new school. While
megs_bookrack
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Read this book.

This book is excellent.
This book is important.
This book is emotional.

I read this last summer and never reviewed it because I couldn't. I couldn't put into words how impactful and moving this is.

I want more people to read this and talk about it.

Meredith Russo has a newer book, Birthday, that released in 2019 and I hope once more people discover how insanely tender and beautiful her writing is, they will go back and read this one as well.

In conclusion, read this book.
Kelly
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rumor has it the cover model is a trans girl :)
[update: the rumor is true!]
____________________

This book is everything. I hope it becomes the game changer that it's poised to be. Amanda is an incredibly real, fully-fleshed girl with a tremendous heart and tremendous hope, even when she questions it. This is a story that isn't about transitioning in the sense of changing from male to female; it's a book about transitioning into the next places, where you find your footing, where you're having a
Trina (Between Chapters)
Video review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqZrq...

I read this book in 2 days, which is rare for me. It's a debut novel and therefore I found some writing elements to be weak, but this story is SO. SO. IMPORTANT.

I think anyone, regardless of their age or identity would get something valuable out of this book. This book is intended for readers who are cis, trans, and anyone in between. You may see yourself in Amanda, or you may see yourself in her peers or parents.

This would be such an
Lala BooksandLala
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer
This had fantastic self aware writing, a wonderful main character, and great messages woven throughout.
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
“I'm not brave,” I said, smiling despite myself. “Bravery implies I had a choice. I’m just me, you know?”

You can find this review and all of my other reviews at Novel Descent Thanks for the support!

Absolutely adored this book, even if it did manage to rip my heart out a few times.

Trigger warnings for this book are: suicide, bullying, and rape.

If I was Your Girl follows a young transwoman who has is going to live with her estranged father because of the relentless bullying at her old
Whitney Atkinson
TW: bullying, suicide, transphobia, & homophobia

Thank you Flat Iron Books for the free review copy!

This would have been a four star book because I thought it was a well-rounded story about Amanda becoming confident in herself and transforming into someone brave and self-assured, but I took off an entire star because the way that she was outed was so cruel and unnecessary. I could feel it coming from early on in this book so it wasn’t shocking—other than the fact that it was really obnoxious
Natalie Monroe
"I should have been born a girl."

First and foremost, I should mention I am a cis woman. My review is limited by my own experiences, which has unfortunately not included actual face-to-face contact with a trans person.

Now that that's out of the way, I did think If Was Your Girl was a teensy unrealistic. But, BUT— *dodges flying tomato* not the kind you think. My beef is with how easily Amanda is accepted into the social fold. First day at school and she's already got two male admirers and four
Mara
Nov 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is publishing done right. A contemporary YA romance about a transgender girl, written by a transgender woman and featuring a transgender model on the cover. Absolutely loved Amanda's story!
Dahlia
You know books people say are great just because they're so necessary in concept and premise, but then the execution and/or style kinda suck but no one wants to admit it?

This is not that.

I legit loved it, from the dedication to the author's note to the book itself, and will be rec-ing the shit out of it for the next year and beyond. So happy to finally have a trans book by a trans author in YA from a big publisher, and the fact that there's even trans rep on the cover is just the perfect icing.
Romie
I can’t possibly understand why I’ve waited so long to finally read this book. Like what the hell was wrong with me ?
I can't even think properly right now, because this book .... THIS BOOK guys.

The story was amazing, I really like the dual-time aspect because it helped me to understand Amanda a lot more, to see where she's coming from and how much she went through.
I loved the romance, the way Grant and Amanda just 'clicked' like she said so well, the Stars Wars references, the cute moments, this
*eKa*
If I was Your Girl is my second book that deals with transgender theme. My first one is Lily and Dunkin. So, reading this book is like reading Lily's transgender life only she's more grown up and her name here is Amanda. Both Lily and Amanda got bullied at school. They also has a forbearing and understanding mother but an intolerant father.

What's new from this book for me is that now I got to see how a fully transgender people like Amanda socializes at high school where no one knows her story.
☙ percy ❧
[Received this book through Goodreads First Reads Giveaway.]

"I wasn't sorry I existed any more. I deserved to live. I deserved to find love. I knew now - I believed, now - that I deserved to be loved."

I cried a grand total of 4 times during this book, not counting the tear I shed at the Author's Note at the very end.

It is very brave to be transgender in this world, and it's even braver to write a book about a transgender character based on your experiences as trans. I know nearly everyone who's
✨    jamieson   ✨
i'm so glad I finally read this book. It's been sitting on my backlist collecting dust and I'm SO GLAD I finally read it.

This is an ownvoices book about a transwoman called Amanda who moves schools in order to live with her father. It follows her becoming situated in the town, and trying to navigate high school life, whilst not outing herself as trans to those she meets.

I think this was definitely a strong debut, the prose really carried me through this book and so it was a quick and easy read
Elizabeth
I will start off by saying that I am a cis woman, and therefore my review is limited to my own experiences.

I love being a woman. It is a huge part of who I am, and I would be devastated if tomorrow someone told me I had to be a man because that's who I really was. My heart breaks for trans people when I think about the incredible amount of difficulties they face, simply for being themselves. And the amount of people who can't be themselves due to fear for their own safety.

As many more before me
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This book was so very cute, and SOOO informative. I learned so much about the trans community and how to be respectful of those within it and I am just so pleased to have read it. Only taking off a star because I feel like there were a few bits of the plot that were a little convenient or left unresolved, but I'm still so happy with this.
˗ˏˋliaˎˊ˗
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads
“i had been waiting my whole life for my father to want me, for him to want his daughter.”

first of all, i would like to thank meredith russo for writing this incredible book. it was quick and easy to read while still tackling important topics, and the way it was done was just amazing. you could really be laughing and smiling at the occuring events one moment, but feel broken at the heart-wrenching things the next moment. it’s important to mention that this book has been written by a trans
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, read2016
I kept hearing about this book and decided I needed to read it too. In some ways I believe it's a first - a YA novel about a transgender teen, written by a transgender author, and even the cover model is a transperson from what I understand. Crossing boundaries like crazy.

On other levels it is a pretty "typical" teen novel, in the sense that Amanda discovers that she is not the only one with secrets, not the only one living with high stakes should those secrets be uncovered, and the surrounding
Tasha
Such a wonderful book. I love that this was not about Amanda transitioning but just her being a girl and falling in love with a boy. The ending left me wanting so much MORE.

• Keeping You a Secret
  • Annie on My Mind
  • I Wish You All the Best
  • Two Boys Kissing
  • Symptoms of Being Human
  • We Are Okay
  • The Art of Being Normal
  • Everything Leads to You
  • Openly Straight (Openly Straight, #1)
  • None of the Above
  • Carol
  • What If It's Us
  • Girl Mans Up
  • Autoboyography
MEREDITH RUSSO lives in Brooklyn with her cat Shadow and probably more books than is responsible for a New York apartment. When she isn't upsetting Yankees by smiling and making eye contact on the 3 train she spends her time lifting weights, playing fighting games, blowing up the mic at karaoke, glancing anxiously at her TBR pile, and, of course, working on her next book.

Meredith's debut novel, If
“For as long as I could remember, I had been apologizing for existing, for trying to be who I was, to live the life I was meant to lead.” 72 likes
“You can have anything,” she said, “once you admit you deserve it.” 62 likes