Start by marking “Spellbook of the Lost and Found” as Want to Read:
Spellbook of the Lost and Found

Spellbook of the Lost and Found

If you’re not careful, you can spend your whole life looking for what you’ve lost.

One stormy summer in a small Irish town, things begin to disappear. It starts with trivial stuff—hair clips, house keys, socks—but soon it escalates to bigger things: a memory, a heart, a classmate.

Olive can tell that her best friend, Rose, is different all of a sudden. Rose isn’t talking, an
Published August 8th 2017 by Kathy Dawson Books (first published June 1st 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Spellbook of the Lost and Found, please sign up.
Lana Sidhe
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Rowan I think it's just to make the point that he was a lost boy who was called up when they did the spell. He wasn't someone that Olive actually knew and t…moreI think it's just to make the point that he was a lost boy who was called up when they did the spell. He wasn't someone that Olive actually knew and that's why she never saw him again after.(less)

Start your review of Spellbook of the Lost and Found
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
“What will you let go of? What can you not afford to lose?”

I had heard literally nothing about this book or the author when I requested it from PRH's First to Read program. All I knew, going into it, was what you can read on the GR synopsis, and that it had an intriguing cover.

✘ PLOT
When three young Irish girls find a mysterious spellbook and carry out a spell to return lost items, they don't pay enough attention to the line that warns them items must be sacrificed for those items being brought
Elle (TheBookishActress)

Spellbook of the Lost and Found is an exceptionally weird book. Fowley-Doyle's writing has a tone I've never quite seen before. She's not writing magical realism, but it's somewhere close. There's a sense of everyday magic to Spellbook of the Lost and Found. As the book goes on, you're forced to ask: is the magic is even real? And perhaps more importantly, does it matter either way?

Yet despite all the w
Melanie
“If you’re not careful you can spend your whole life looking for what you’ve lost.”

This book was equal parts haunting and beautiful. The writing feels so lush and magical and is absolutely transportive. The story was so expertly and intelligently crafted. Seriously, this entire book feels like a work of art. But for some reason, I just couldn’t connect with any of the characters. Instead of it feeling like a treat to read, I really had to force myself to focus. I still really recomme
Cristina Monica
I find it crazy that a book with curious magic could not at least be a little spellbinding.

But it definitely isn’t. I read sixty boring, but charmingly-written pages of absolutely nothing at all before I decided not to take it anymore.

I get so giddy when I pick a book with witches up. I always think it’s going to transport me into another world. Witches have been my favourite creatures for such a long time.

It’s no wonder Magnus Bane is one of the best characters I’ve ever read about. What he do
may ➹
Spellbook of the Lost and Found is a book I’m really torn over. It is truly a beautiful and magical book, but there were other aspects that made it hard for me to connect to everything.

L I K E S

🌹 That cover is gorgeous. It’s so aesthetic and I can’t lie that that’s a big reason why I picked this up. Actually, the whole atmosphere of this book is so magical and aesthetic.
🌷 Fowley-Doyle’s writing style is absolutely magical! That’s probably why the whole book felt so aesthetic, but I l
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
I love love loved the characters in this book, but the plot left a lot to be desired for me :c womp. 10/10 do recommend the audiobook though because all the narrators have Irish accents and I’m a BIG FAN.
Dannii Elle
I absolutely adored Fowley-Doyle's debut, The Accident Season (full review here), and had been eager to get to her latest release partly for that reason and partly for this absolutely stunning Autumnal-themed cover. I am so pleased that the interior of this book lived up to both its outer-beauty and the author's former prowess of penmanship.

Just like The Accident Season, this had a dark and eerie premise. Things are being lost. From diary pages, charm bracelets, and hair clips, to things of a fa
Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.)
I want to thank NetGalley and Penguin Young Readers Group for providing me with this copy in exchange for an honest review

Wow, I ended up being much better than I expected! , I really enjoyed the book and all the time I felt that it reminded me of The Raven Boys since the plot has a lot of mystery, friendship and magical realism. A great book that grows a lot as you read it, it has a very interesting concept, a great diversity of characters and a very catchy writing style

description

4/5 Stars

You can find th
Jill McGill
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Spellbook of the Lost and Found by Moïra Fowley-Doyle was more than magical, it was filled with mystery, strange happenings, friendship, and love.

In the beginning, it was hard to keep track of all the characters but as you keep reading it all comes together and makes sense - just have patience. I did love how the past and the present collide and how it all ties together in the end. Unfortunately, some questions are left unanswered so maybe there will be another book in the future.

All in all, t
Bee
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ukya, standalones
Review originally on Heart Full of Books

I had seen a lot of hype surrounding this book on twitter – lots of authors and publishers getting ARCS, which were beautiful, by the way. So, it’s one that’s been on my radar for a while, even though I had no idea when it was coming out. Then I went book shopping with Maddie and happened to see Spellbook For The Lost and Found on the table and I NEEDED IT. I picked it up practically as soon as I got home (which hardly ever happens) and I feel like I genui
theresa
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book cover is so autumnal and aesthetically pleasing 🌑🍂
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I really liked this story. I read most of the book in a single day and captivated by it. I decided to read this book because I was intrigued by the blurb and I am really glad that I did. This was one of those books that made me want to keep reading "just one more chapter" until I had reached the end.

This book is told from multiple points of view and it works very well for this story. Every point of view in this book really added some
Lotte
++++ // Great depictions of friendships, family bonds and (LGBTQ+!) romance. Teenagers messing around with magic. A setting in the Irish countryside. A wonderful writing style that manages to convey the magical and mysterious atmosphere of it all.
- // Too many characters and too many interconnections between all of them that felt a little construed at times (even though I really liked them all, maybe less characters would've been a wiser choice and less confusing to read about, especially toward
Skye Kilaen
This YA = spooky atmosphere + queer gal rep + magic + the good and bad of friendship and attraction. There are a lot of perspectives and a lot of timeline switching, but instead of taking notes like I sometimes do with books like that, I just gave myself over to it and let the what-really-happened?? feelings do their thing. Highly recommended, and I’ll be reading more from this author.

Content warning: discussion of sexual assault.
Renee Godding
Acqua
3.5 stars.

Spellbook of the Lost and Found is set in an Irish small town where, after the night of the bonfire, everyone loses something.

It's told in three PoVs:
Olive. She is a chubby bi girl with a deaf ear. She was at the bonfire the night the lost answered, and she was getting drunk with her friend Rose (also bi, and biracial Indian).

Hazel. Her and her brother Rowan are new in town. Her PoV wasn't my favorite - the "Dark!Secret I keep mentioning to the reader" is one of my least favorite tro
Taylor Knight
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
ARC was sent to me by publisher in exchange for an honest review

I really enjoyed The Accident Season so I was super hyped for Spellbook of the Lost and Found.
I love Moïra's writing style so much. It's so unique, creative, and almost poetic in some ways. I fell in love with her writing even more with SotLaF. The plot is so entertaining, there's diverse characters, and the magic is bomb.
The only thing I wasn't really into was how many perspectives there was. I'm not a big fan of multiple perspect
TheYALibrarian
Claire is looking for Bloodlines series ARCs
I felt obliged to read & review this book because of 2 reasons:
1. I won this book in a giveaway (thank you penguin teen)
2. I'm buddy reading with kat

If it weren't for these 2 reasons, I would actually DNF this book. I mean, life is short and there are plenty of books out there, etc. Anyway, I think this book might be something John Green would write if he decides to venture into magical realism. But I think he should just stick to contemporary. I think this is also what I think about this book.
Karina
Magical and enchanting, this is a book with dirt beneath its nails...a bit scruffy and unkempt, with whiskey-breath and birds-nest hair, and a charming sideways grin as it sidles in your back door at two in the morning...open your heart to it, and welcome the weirdness and the wonder inside.
Howard
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, fiction
4 Stars for Spellbook of the Lost and Found (audiobook) by Moïra Fowley-Doyle read by Elizabeth Sastre, Marisa Calin and Saskia Maarleveld. Another fun mystery set in Ireland. Great narration.
Chloe
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
9/10.

The pros: Spellbook of the Lost and Found is a truly captivating, moving story that will surprise you and keep you enthralled with every spellbinding chapter. I didn't know what to expect from this. I picked it up because I read the Proud anthology compiled by Juno Dawson, and this author's story was my favourite in terms of how beautiful I found her writing to be. I got that and so much more from this book. Whimsical, magical and very cleverly plotted, I adored her writing and the atmosph
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm Myrtle Beach
I read The Accident Season a few years ago and loved it... The Spellbook of the Lost and Found was good, but not as great as that. I got a little confused at the beginning about what was actually going on. I did like the 3 different POV's, even if I had to stop and think who was who a few times.

I think Moira Fowley-Doyle is a beautiful writer, and I will continue to pick up her books as long as she keeps writing!
Jessi ♡
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
ADD THIS TO UR TBR and on august 8th, go buy this book. WOWE!
bi girls and magic and spells and feminism and friendship and JUST, listen, u wanna read this
ambsreads
Dec 27, 2017 marked it as to-read
ON HOLD @ 14%
Julie Zantopoulos
I was so impressed with the writing in this story. From the very beginning, before I had the names of characters, friend groups, and storyline straight, I was already enthralled by the writing. It's lyrical without being too flowery, it's got beautiful quotes sprinkled like gems among the pages. I have so much annotated in this story, so many tabs pointing to passages that I loved. Not only was the writing beautiful but the themes and underlying plot within this book are so poignant.

Discussed i
Lea ♞ That_Bookdragon
1/5 ⭐️ ~ DNF

I have had this book on my TBR since last year. I finally decided to pick it up and I am scared it put me into a reading slump... I don't know what it is but I just couldn't get into it at all. I forced myself to go past the hundred pages mark but was so bored it took me three days to do that when I usually manage to finish at least one book in three days. The characters felt all the same, the pace and the writing were really strange and the ambiance was just nonexistent.

I really ex
Amanda Kratz
So I really struggled with this one. It took a while for the plot to emerge and when it did it was so basic. Items are lost, a group of kids cast a spell to get them back. (More or less). There is more character building than plot. Which I typically enjoy but there were just so many characters. I felt it didn’t go deep enough.

I think I’ve decided magical realism just isn’t for me. I’m not sure with the contemporary setting that the characters would have responded to magic/spells as they did. I d
Enne (they/them)
”Embrace the unexplained. Embrace the uncertain. Embrace the magic.”

4 stars
TW: toxic relationship, sexual assault
Rep: f/f relationship, fat side character, bisexual & hard of hearing MC, bi side character, lesbian & indigenous MC
review also available here

This book was recommended to me when I asked for f/f books and this book definitely delivers on that front. But it also delivers on so many other fronts that it's hard to keep track. The writing is atmospheric, the setting is magical, the c
kelsey
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5✰

‘don’t be silly. it's not just the spellbook. we’re all magic. magic’s all around us, all the time.’

i loved everything about this book!!! literally the only thing i hated was jude, and of course you have to have once character you can't stand.

but the fact that the magic of the book was just everyday things? like being named is a spell. picking flowers and drying leaves is a spell. writing your initials and someone elses in a heart in notebooks is a love spell. the red you wear for confidence,

• The Lost Coast
  • This Coven Won't Break (These Witches Don't Burn, #2)
  • Sawkill Girls
  • These Witches Don't Burn (These Witches Don't Burn, #1)
  • Perfectly Preventable Deaths
  • Wilder Girls
  • Winterwood
  • The Devouring Gray (The Devouring Gray #1)
  • The Cold Is in Her Bones
  • In an Absent Dream (Wayward Children, #4)
  • Dark and Deepest Red
  • The Wicked Deep
  • The Weight of the Stars
  • Call Down the Hawk (Dreamer Trilogy, #1)
  • Creating the Illusion: A Fashionable History of Hollywood Costume Designers
  • Summer of Salt
  • Undead Girl Gang
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
Moïra Fowley-Doyle is half-French, half-Irish and lives in Dublin with her husband, two daughters and two cats. Moïra's French half likes red wine and dark books in which everybody dies. Her Irish half likes tea and happy endings.

Moïra spent several years at university studying vampires in young adult fiction before concentrating on writing young adult fiction with no vampires in it whatsoever. Sh