Start by marking “The Twits” as Want to Read:
The Twits

The Twits

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  100,665 ratings  ·  3,181 reviews
How do you outwit a Twit? Mr. and Mrs. Twit are the smelliest, ugliest people in the world. They hate everything -- except playing mean jokes on each other, catching innocent birds to put in their Bird Pies, and making their caged monkeys, the Muggle-Wumps, stand on their heads all day. But the Muggle-Wumps have had enough. They don't just want out, they want revenge.
Published June 24th 2004 by Puffin Books (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Twits, please sign up.
Rithika coz
-> they kill birds
->they torture their monkey(i pity it)

·  100,665 ratings  ·  3,181 reviews

JV
I feel full of the joys of spring! This was such a delightful little book. My morbid, inner kid couldn't have been more ecstatic! Should I call someone a twit or a nitwit? I guess, no. That would be very rude of me! My doppelgänger would approve otherwise. And since I'm not like my sinister doppelgänger, I would leave all the sheer nastiness to him along with Mr. and Mrs. Twit, who are also quite repulsive, if you ask me. I'd rather have pleasant thoughts rather than wicked ones.
"If a person ha
Miranda Reads
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Unfortunately, I don't have any rose-tinted glasses for this one.

So, as an adult, all I could think of is, "Dahl, what were you on??"
Mr. Twit was a twit. He was born a twit. And, now at the age of sixty, he was a bigger twit than ever.
The Twits are ugly people - through and through. They think nothing of animal neglect or outright abuse. They are horrible to each other and everyone around them.

They own a troop of trained monkeys and take particular delight in forcing the poor animals into do
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
“If a person has ugly thoughts, it begins to show on the face. And when that person has ugly thoughts every day, every week, every year, the face gets uglier and uglier until you can hardly bear to look at it.

A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts it will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.”

I do love this quote. The Twits are the epito
Luca Ambrosino
ENGLISH (The Twits)/ ITALIANO

«What a lot of hairy-faced men there are around nowadays»
Ugly, dirty and bad. It's not about the movie of Ettore Scola about the slums, with Nino Manfredi as memorable protagonist. We are talking, instead, about the Twits, Mr and Mrs Twits, spending their days tremendously pranking each other with jokes of unnecessary cruelty. Mr Twits, moreover, has his own dreams: training monkeys to carry out acts upside down. In short, the Twits are evil.

But revenge comes as a ju

Ahmad Sharabiani
The Twits, Roald Dahl, Quentin Blake
A humorous children's book written by Roald Dahl, and illustrated by Quentin Blake. It was written in 1979, and first published in 1980. The first sentence of the story is: "What a lot of hairy-faced men there are around nowadays!".
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: روز سوم ماه مارس سال 2003 میلادی
عنوان: خانواده آقای ابله؛ نویسنده: رولد دال؛ تصویرگر: کوئنتین بلیک؛ مترجم: میرعلی غروی؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، نشر مرکز، کتاب مریم، 1381، در 117 ص، مصور، شابک: 9789643055349؛ گروه سنی
Greg
Jul 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-kids
Twits are ugly people who do horrible things to each other and others. They are not nice, and they are negative people who have been negative so long that the negativity has made them ugly.

On Monday I was going to write a review that just said that I'm a twit. Which isn't really true, I'm generally a only a slightly negative person, bordering on neutral and I don't do things intentionally to try to cause other people harm. Sometimes I do turn incredibly negative though and then I come out swing
Sam Quixote
Dec 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who doesn’t love a good villain? And Mr and Mrs Twit are a delightfully nasty pair! When they’re not having a go at one another - she mixing in live worms into his spaghetti, he trying to send her off into space with balloons - they’re trying to eat children, actually eating the local bird populace and torturing a family of monkeys. Then one day the monkeys decide to push back…

The Twits still holds up as one of my favourite Roald Dahl books. Dahl’s speciality is over-the-top baddies and he deli
Mariah Roze
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mariah Roze by: Matt
I originally read this book in either elementary school or middle school and really enjoyed it. Since I am reading all of Roald Dahl's books again, I thought "why not," and re-read this one. Surprisingly, I don't remember this story at all.

This book is about the grossest couple: Mr. and Mrs. Twit. They are the smelly and ugly. They hate everything! They even hate each other and they keep pulling pranks on each other. They're mean! They catch innocent birds to put in their Bird Pies and make the
Mario
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This quote is one of the biggest reasons why I g
Sara Kamjou
یکی از فانترین و بامزهترین داستانایی بود که تا حالا خوندم :)) خلاقیتش عالی بود، عالی! کلی باهاش خندیدم و حس خوب پیدا کردم.
----------------------------------------
بخشهای ماندگار کتاب:
اگر کسی فکرهای پلیدی در سر داشته باشد، آن فکر پلید کمکم در صورتش معلوم میشود.
...
شخصی که فکرهای خوب در سر دارد، هیچوقت زشت نمیشود. شاید شما دماغ بیریخت دهانی کج یا چانهای دو تکه داشته باشید یا دندانتان از دهان بیرون زده باشد ولی اگر فکرهای خوبی در سر داشته باشید، آنها مثل پرتوهایی از نور خورشید در چهرهتان خواهد درخشید
Anthony Vacca
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dahl's The Twits is at its finest during the first half of the book which relates various highlights in the comedy of cruelty that is the marriage between the two eponymous grotesques, Mr and Mrs Twit. When Mrs Twit isn't serving Mr Twit a bowl of worms or hiding her glass eye in his after-supper beer, and when Mr Twit isn't playing a fucked-up mind game on Mrs Twit - such as carving away an inch of his wife's cane, day by day, so that he can trick her into thinking she is slowly but surely shri ...more
MJ Nicholls
An allegory on post-Communist Götterdämmerung qua Joseph Stalin or an attack on hairy-faced men?

description

or

description

We can only speculate.
Mark Lawrence
Sep 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
I read a lot of Roald Dahl books as a child, and have read quite a few more to my own children, most recently to my disabled youngest daughter. The Twits was one of those.

The Twits, although it has its moments, is one of my least favourite Dahl books, perhaps the least favourite.

It's easy to be too po-faced about humour in children's books, and perhaps my reaction is coloured by the knowledge that Dahl was not a particularly pleasant man and had some rather nasty opinions ... but even so, my rea
Mariel
Nov 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ratatouille
Recommended to Mariel by: Lester
My birds and I got into a big literary debate this morning. The book was Dahl's The Twits. Lester the Molestor maintains that I would be more delicious in a pie. My vote is for a hearty bird pie. You are what you eat. Who would want to be me? There is a big hungry gator waiting for us to decide. She said we might settle it over a scrabble game... We lost. It was Lester's fault! He doesn't know enough Q words....
I'm scared.
I swear to myself (and on a stack of bibles) that I had already reviewed T
Dash fan
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One of my favourite books.
A lil gruesome but so funny. A sheer delight to read.
Such a memorable book. I will treasure.
Salymar
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing

-The Twits, Roald Dahl
Matt
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Matt by: Mariah Roze
Shelves: audiobook, children-s
Once you start reading Dahl, it is hard to stop, as I sit here to complete my fourth book review by the author today. This story pulls the reader to the edge, injecting silliness, fear, and all-around revenge into a larger plot that will have children giggling and washing their faces in short order. What is a twit? Not so easy to explain, is it? Well, Dahl seeks to provide the reader with a slight understanding by offering up some of their hygienic deficiencies (especially among the men whose ha ...more
Maede
پنجاه دقیقه ی شیرین رو صرف گوش کردن به کتاب صوتی عالی این کتاب کردم. با تقلید صداهای عالی ای که نمی تونید لذت نبرید

رولد دال این بار منزجر کننده ترین زوج تمام کتاب هاش رو بهمون معرفی می کنه. دو موجود کثیف و بدجنس و زننده که روز و شب به فکر اذیت کردن همدیگر و دیگرانت هستند . مدت ها نقشه می کشند تا حقه های کثیفی رو اجرا کنند

این مسئله که چقدر نکات مهم لا به لای داستان های عجیب و غریبش جا داده همیشه من رو متعجب میکنه. برای مثال وقتی که یک موجود بسیار زشت رو توصیف میکنه، توضیح میده این فرد چون از درون
Brendon Schrodinger
Nov 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
"What a lot of hairy-faced men there are around these days. When a man grows hair all over his face it is impossible to tell what he really looks like. Perhaps that's why he does it.He'd rather you didn't know.

Then there's the problem with washing."

What an opportune time to read 'The Twits' with so many Mr Twit clones around. Roald had the right idea. They're dirty shifty buggers who paint trees in glue to catch birds and torture monkeys

Yes, hipsters torture monkeys. But they did it before it w
Ümit Mutlu
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Müthiş komik bir kitap. Çocuk edebiyatı böyle bir şey olmalı işte; çılgın, deli dolu ve fütursuz :)
Tatevik Najaryan
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tatevik by: Shaina
I wonder how many kids get some good ideas from his books. Well, there is moral in the books, that nasty people always get punished, but however...
Still, favourite is Matilda.
Sara Alaee
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Funny childish story of a couple who do nasty things to each other and the birds and the monkeys. Finally the monkeys and birds take revenge by turning the Twits’ house upside down.

So creative! I loved it and yet I think there’s more to this story than just meets the eyes (the bearded face descriptions, cruelty and its relation to ugliness, standing on head instead of feet and then shrinking looks like social or even political(?) criticism to me!).

“A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be
Lisa *OwlBeSatReading*
Big shout out to Mr Dahl, and his sidekick Quentin Blake for the illustrations! Wow, that was a right blast from the past I can tell you!

I was lucky enough to meet Roald at my senior school in, blimey, um, 1988, (I feel old) when he was invited to take an assembly during 'bookweek'. And he was fabulous, humorous and extremely tall!

I loved this book before I met him, I loved it more after I met him, and I love it even more now I'm far too old to be loitering in the kids section in the library wh
Ashley Daviau
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this story in elementary school and I love it just as much now as I did back then. Dahl’s writing is just timeless, it stays with you no matter your age! Something about this particular story just really makes me laugh. I think it’s seeing the Twits tricks turned around and used on them and their hilarious reactions to it that just really get to me!
Shaina
Shelle Klein Houser
Archer and I love this book! It's funny and evil and typical Dahl, it's fun to read out loud (or to yourself if you're not reading to a child) and there's an unrealized circus act full of upside-down monkeys.

Quirkyreader
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a major laugh riot. Especially now with beards being a big thing.
Astrid Langeveld
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ik heb het voorgelezen aan mijn zoon van 7 jaar. Tijdens het lezen werd hij een x huilend wakker, omdat hij de griezels zo gemeen vond dat ze beesten sloegen en hij houdt zo van beesten. Dat ze aan het einde teruggepakt werden maakte het dan wel weer goed! Heerlijk boek om voor te lezen of zelf te lezen!
Ferdy
Quite funny and entertaining, not as good as The BFG or Matilda though.

I kind of loved Mr and Mrs Twit, despite them being horrible to everyone. I thought the nasty tricks they played on each other and names they called each other were actually kind of cute, they both were just so well suited each other (unlike most fictional couples). They might just be my OTP.
FeReSHte
Mar 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommended to FeReSHte by: Sara Alaee
Shelves: young-adult, humour
ظاهرت زشت نخواهد بود مگر این که اعمال و افکارت زشت باشند
و ظاهرت دوست داشتنی و زیبا نخواهد شد مگر این که قلب زیبایی داشته باشی
شاید همه ی پیام نویسنده لابلای ماجراهای آقا و خانم توییت همین بود

واقعن درآوردن همچین داستان مفرح و جالبی واسه ژانر کودک و نوجوان با دو تا شخصیت اصلی بدجنس و زشت و چندش آور کلی مهارت و نبوغ میخواد
What's your favourite part of 'The Twits'? 11 39 Apr 29, 2017 05:37AM
who is meaner, mr or mrs.twit? 29 103 Apr 29, 2017 05:30AM
about the book 2 6 Apr 29, 2017 05:24AM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Double Act
  • Unreal! (Uncollected)
  • Adventures of the Wishing Chair
  • Utterly Me, Clarice Bean
  • The Tale of Samuel Whiskers, or The Roly-Poly Pudding
  • Nooit de buren bijten
  • Runaway Ralph (Ralph S. Mouse, #2)
  • The Groovy Greeks
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Pigs Might Fly
  • Just Annoying

19 trivia questions
2 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.” 2473 likes

1450 likes