Start by marking “Influence (Influence, #1)” as Want to Read:
Influence (Influence, #1)

Influence

(Influence #1)

If you could manipulate reality, would you?

Seventeen-year-old Kaylin has been on the run, hiding her untapped abilities for six years, but rescuing a mysterious guy risks exposing the depths of her power. The manipulative sector groups hunt her kind. Life has never been easy, but resisting is even harder. This harsh, new world will no longer allow her to remain hidden.

In

Published August 16th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Influence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Influence

Start your review of Influence (Influence, #1)
Jenetta Penner
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great debut novel. Fantastic cover art.

I picked this book up on pre-order and read it right away. The premise of Influence is great and I loved the relationship between characters. If you love post-apocalyptic/dystopian style stories for young adults this is a perfect book for your next read!
Ms. Just One More Book  (Kris Miller)
Set 30 years into a dystopian future, there are individuals that have the ability to alter people's reality. Invading a person's, or group of people's minds, they can 'push' their thoughts onto others and influence them. This ability is highly sought from the leaders of the various evil sectors that are vying for absolute control of the land.

After a harrowing experience in an orphanage six years ago while using her push ability, Kaylin is an influencer who has been on the run ever since. Along
Wendi Wilson
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Influence is an action-packed adventure set in a dystopian world where the youth of the country are sometimes imbued with the power to "push." They are called influencers, and they have the ability to join and sometimes take over the consciousness of other people. Evil faction leaders use these young people to control the masses, hoping to gain power.
This debut novel by David R. Bernstein is well written, well edited an moves at a fast pace to keep you completely submerged in this world he
T.
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-beta-prize
I received Influence as a free copy from the author. The gifting did not determine the review/rating, which reflects my honest opinion. An excellent dystopian -style YA read. Characters were well developed, and while young (late teens, early twenties for the most part), they weren't obnoxiously childish. A solid plot is unveiled slowly, although this doesn't mean the pacing is slow-- in fact, Influence was non-stop action from the very start and never let up.
Kelly Clare
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
A promising start to a new dystopian series.

Read my full review on YA Books Central: http://www.yabookscentral.com/yaindie...
S.L. Morgan
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Review to come...but let me tell you, once you start reading, you WILL. GET. HOOKED!!!!
Cora Lederer
Mar 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Beverly Laude
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
was given an Audible copy of this book by the narrator/author/publisher & chose to review it.

First of all, the narration was great! It was easy to listen to the book & keep track of the characters because of the different inflections that the narrator used. Without the talent of the narrator, this would have been a much less enjoyable book.

Maybe I am becoming a little jaded because of all of the dystopian YA books that I have read, but this book didn't really have anything new to offer.
Sharkie
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I needed a good YA, lets-drop-in, have-a-bit-of-fun story and this fit perfectly.

Sure, there was some huge things I thought shouldn't have happened, but isn't that the joy of fiction?

Basically - was fun.
Vicki
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Entertaing read

Read this on a cold dreary day off. Kept me entertained and not wanting to put it down. Now on to the next in series!
Melanie Taylor
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
All I have to say is WHY!!!!! And the second book can not get here fast enough!!!
T.L. McDonald
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved the cover and was intrigued by the blurb, so I bought this book as a birthday gift for myself and Im so glad I did. Right from the very beginning Influence jumps right into action when Kaylin and her best friend Amanda find themselves knee deep in a potentially bad situation when they discover whom exactly it is they just rescued. Throw in Kaylins push ability, two sides of a war fighting for control over whats left of the world, and youve got a fast paced story you cant put down. And ...more
Marley
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Could have been good

Influence could have been better. The dialogue felt pushed-pun intended. I loved it in the beginning, then it just kept falling off. I started to disconnect from all of the characters. It was just redundant and too fast a pace to feel invested anymore. I ended up skimming the other half of the book and it's cheesy dialogue. The ending I saw coming. Just could have been better. Doubt I will ever read book two.
Lee
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a great read for me. The writing was very good and captivating.

The relationships between all the characters were fluid and well written. I enjoyed the relationships between Kaylin and Amanda and Kaylin and Farren.

Although I suspected some of the things that happened during the book, it still surprised me when they did happen because you just weren't sure.

The ending was done amazingly well and left me looking forward to the next book in this series.
Katie Powell
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this story. In the midst of a move, I could not put this book down. This dystopian society is unlike any others that I have come across. And it will captivate you from page one! There is no area if this story that does not keep you wanting more, not even the first chapter. You just dive right into the action and keep riding that wave until the last page. I am beyond excited to read the rest of this series!
Joanna Franks
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Good idea, poor execution

I almost didn't finish this book, I felt the dialogue to be contrived and sometimes I felt that this male author forgot he was writing from a female perspective. I also felt the author could benefit from a thesaurus. I was getting tired of the word evil being over used. I get it, Magnus=bad. But he never really explains WHY they are bad. I probably won't read the next book because I never really felt invested in the characters or the plot.
Sharon Phelps
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Exciting! Captivating! Couldn't put it down! The characters were extremely well developed and the story just flowed. The action scenes were so descriptive and the conversation so real. I really believed I was in Kaylin's head and feeling her emotions, seeing with her eyes and going through what she experienced. A book for teens and on up. Can't wait now for book 2.
David W. Gilbert
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Awesome

This book is a fantastic book. If your looking for a book that's hard to put down look no further. I read 21 Chapters straight I just couldn't release it from my grip until the end! In reality this book deserves 10 stars!
Cynthia Csepel
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good read

I enjoyed reading this book, the characters were easy to identify with and the storyline was really good. I will definitely read the next book in this series.
Teresa
Buy Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...
Reviewer: Teresa Fallen Angel
Blurb:
Influence 1
If you could manipulate the reality of others, would you?

L.J. Bus
More dystopian than sci-fi but interesting all the same

The story started out a bit confusing for me. At the very start a power is mentioned that I couldnt quite fill in as to what and how. The story begins when Kaylin (this book is told from her perspective) tells about not being able to sense his awareness like she normally can with everyone when she sees a boy or a man hanging from a signpost. I couldnt quite jump in with that, couldnt fathom how to fill in that power she has.
It gave for a
Mandy Peterson
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
When a book has a sweet cover like that, who can resist opening it up and peeking at the pages? Certainly not this girl.
So, I eagerly read through "Influence" in pieces. Why? Other obligations. I wouldn't recommend it in the future. My reading was a hot mess of an experience. I read a bit from the copy the author sent me, then I purchased the book and read it from there. I alternated between copies of the book, and read (and wrote!) another book during my reading of Influence. It's fair to say
Audrey  Adamson Stars in Her Eye
This book reminds me a lot of The Darkest Minds. While I say that, it does have it's own twist and flair. Influencers are no longer the people on the internet who make you want to buy things; in this time period, they are those with a special ability referred to as Push. Certain teens have the ability to influence the emotions and thoughts of those around them. Need to sow seeds of discord? Use an influencer. Make a crowd feel content so they don't riot? Once again, an Influencer.
As you might
Shayay
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting, unique idea, and I enjoyed the futuristic elements. There's a lot going on in this book, and I enjoyed all the action. I would've liked a bit more character development and one on one interaction between main characters, so I felt more connected with the characters, but I do like all the characters, and I really enjoyed the different powers some of the characters have. Kaylin is a strong character, and she has to deal with a lot in order to survive. She's been on her own, fighting ...more
LauraAnn
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.
Ok I liked the idea of this book. Its a little different from all the other stories out there. Nuclear war, world destroyed, evil people blah blah.
I liked this super power they have. Its kinda cool. Ok onto the first thing.. Why is Magnus bad? Seriously... I know they are because they told me so, but thats about it, no back story really. Ok thing 2.... the thing with her and him... ummm no... talk about a complete 180 in a matter of like 10 minutes. I liked her bff but couldnt really
Nereid
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
I had high expectations after reading the introduction but it just never "captured my interest." The story line was predictable and so were the characters. Amanda was the good friend and I liked her attitude but their history together was never really divulged so it was hard to care about the characters. I did not feel that there was enough of a romantic connection between Farren and Kaylin to make the romance believable. Kaylin was not very consistent with her beliefs and seemed to change her ...more
Jessica K
Cant connect to characters

I stopped reading this at the 75% mark. I cant connect to the characters. The girl sounds unbelievably educated give her background, and the use of first person perspective doesnt help. The use of present tense makes it worse, as it isnt utilized to bring any kind of excitement. The main character feels off and disconnected. Its about as exciting as if she were narrating the weather, not a rebellion.

Sentences feel awkwardly short. The narration feels like narration and
Chase
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it

Influence is a fun new twist on post-apocalyptic ya fiction. Filled with people who can influence the minds of other people by using their "push" ability corporations have taken over countries and now the world is in a shambles. 17 year old Kaylin has been able to hide from the all might corporations ever since finding out she is an influencer.... until she and her friend Amanda help a dying boy at the side of the road.

If you love books where teenagers have strange powers and are trying to save
Kimberley
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kaylin and Amanda had been on there own for years since Kaylin found out she had the ability to push. Now they find a man who looks like he is dead. After realizing he is not dead and giving him some water they go to leave only to have him ask to go alone. Farren is not trusted by Amanda or Kaylin and when he turns them in to the Magnus order they feel betrayed. Once Kaylin is able to escape he finds her again and gets her to agree to help get rid of the Magnus now she is in a fight for her life ...more
Lisa
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Influence by David R. Bernstein
This a fantastic dystopian story. Modern technology is gone and the country is run by political groups supported by people who have mind powers such as those who can push people into doing things. A young woman, Kaylin, who has the power to push people and animals to do her bidding. Doubts plague her when using her powers. This book is a thrilling trip into a possible future. I can't wait for the next book to continue my trip into the world of Influence.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Modified (Manipulated, #1)
  • Starfire (The Starfire Wars, #1)
  • Surfaced (Manipulated, #2)
  • Actualized (Configured #3)
  • Immersed (Configured, #2)
  • Dark Matter (The Starfire Wars, #2)
  • Configured (Configured, #1)
  • Ascended (Manipulated, #3)
  • Parallax (The Starfire Wars, #3)
  • The Ferrymen (The Culling Book 3)
  • The Authority (The Culling, #2)
  • Recruitment: A Dystopian Novel (The Resistance Trilogy Book 1)
  • The Culling (The Culling, #1)
  • Scorched (Manipulated, #4)
  • Buried (Manipulated, #5)
  • Ghost Towns (The Child Thief #5)
  • Transient (Transient #1)
  • Render: A Dystopian Novel (The Resistance Trilogy Book 2)

Influence (3 books)
  • Awareness (Influence, #2)
  • Conscious (Influence, #3)