Jump to ratings and reviews
Graciela Harper is starting to realize that life would not be the same in Heron Creek without at least one mystery dogging her heels, and with her father’s family secrets slowly coming to light, she’s certainly not short on them.

What she doesn’t count on is the revelation - both from her old outlaw friend Clete Raynard and the Heron Creek PD - that someone is out to get her, in more ways than one.

When a quite personal ghost shows up as well, Gracie knows that she’s got her hands full. She also knows that until she solves one or all of the mysteries on her plate, no one in Heron Creek - including the people she loves the most - will be able to move on with their lives.

What’s left of them.

335 pages, Kindle Edition

Published October 11, 2016

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Lyla Payne

34 books856 followers
I've been publishing New Adult romance novels for a little over a year, starting with Broken at Love and continuing with the rest of the Whitman University series. I adore telling stories, discovering the little reasons people fall in love, and uncovering hidden truths in the world around us – past and present.

In my spare time I cuddle my two dogs, pretend to enjoy exercising so that I can eat as much Chipotle as I want, and harbor a deep and abiding hope that Zac Efron likes older women. I loves reading, of course, along with movies, traveling, and Irish whiskey.

I'm hard at work, ALWAYS, and hope to bring you more Whitman University antics and at least one more Lowcountry ghost tale before the end of the year.

If you want to know more, please visit me at http://lylapayne.com

If you’re a fan of Young Adult fiction—science fiction or otherwise—please check out my work that’s published under the name Trisha Leigh. http://trishaleigh.com

I'm represented by Kathleen Rushall at Marsal Lyon Literary Agency.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (<1%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 17 of 17 reviews
Profile Image for Jamie Davis.
131 reviews26 followers
October 11, 2016
Mysteries, and Ghosts, and Surprises, OH MY!

This book, y’all. The lingering book hangover has yet to ease, and I suspect it won’t until Lyla gives us the next book. As much as I love ALL of the Lowcountry books, I think this one is my favorite. It was such a wild ride all the way to the very end.

As usual, Lyla delivered enough mystery, angst, Gracie-style humor, and excitement to keep me turning pages until I stumbled onto the last page and yelled, “NOOOO!” because I just wasn’t ready for it to end. Every time I pick up a Gracie book, it’s like visiting an old friend.

Too many fantastic things happen in this book to say a great deal without giving away spoilers, so I’m just going to end with: Read this book. Seriously. Tell your friends, tell your family, and tell random people on the street to pick up the Lowcountry series. Gracie’s books are my all time favorite mystery series, and I love it whenever people tell me they started reading it because, inevitably, they end up as hooked as I am!

Profile Image for Erin.
6 reviews
October 15, 2016
So many feels

This series remains one of my all time favorites!! Lyla has done it once again; she has a gift of keeping you so wrapped up in her writing that you don't want to put her books down. I will say that I have a love/hate relationship with this book...it gave me so many feels....so much sadness, so much angst and uncertainty and tears too. My heart was hurting so hard for Graciela, she just can't seem to catch much of a break....As usual, in this book she finds herself in a heap of trouble and has to depend on more help from family, friends and outsiders that she hasn't learned to trust yet. We learn more about her new found family only to see her faced with loss yet again. Beau's past comes back to haunt her in an unexpected way and causes more uncertainty, sadness and loss. Frank's past causes so much more trouble for Gracie that she might not find her way out of it even with all the gang pulling for her. Her life is headed in a seemingly downward spiral and I can only hope with the arrival of Jack and the unconditional support of Leo and friends that they can help her find her way back. Waiting till January to find out is going to be a challenge but I'm certain it will be worth the wait.
Profile Image for Mary.
668 reviews
November 5, 2019
Poor Gracie. Her life is one crap storm after another. Will she ever catch a break? Will anything ever work out for her? And who is after her? I just want her to be happy and I'd really like to have at least a few of the outstanding issues resolved. There's a lot going on and not much was resolved which makes me anxious to move on to the next book. The author sure knows how to keep me coming back for more.
Profile Image for April.
162 reviews4 followers
September 15, 2017
I love these books but living in Charleston and reading about all the history here and it being right on track with the ghost of this area really makes it more intriguing. The characters in this book come to life and before you know it you're sucked in and can't get enough of their story. You want to root for Gracie, she's made me laugh and cry! I hope there is more to come in this series.
Profile Image for Sandra Lancaster.
287 reviews
December 5, 2016
OH WOW!! Not Quite Alive is another fan-freaking-tastic book in this series. I went through so many emotions. There were definitely some things that I didn't see coming at all. Loved it and need more asap.

Everyone needs to read this series!!!
496 reviews
August 15, 2017
Another great book in this series. Poor Graceila, when it rains it pours. Her whole life is getting turned upside down in this book. So glad the next book in this series is already released so I can jump right into it.
68 reviews
January 16, 2017
The best yet

I don't know how much more I can take. I love this series but the cliffhangers are killing me! When will Gracieella get a break???!!!
Profile Image for Iza Brekilien.
1,079 reviews105 followers
January 26, 2017
I read Not quite mine on a sunday and, since I had a whole week-end all to myself, started Not quite alive at the very second I finished it. And devoured it.
Ah ha, things are changing ! I'm not spoiling, but hey, major changes in different areas ! And that thing that happens to Gracie ? Well, not to her, but she's involved (of course, when is she not). How will she get out of that situation ? And how will things proceed between... hem. Not saying more, not spoiling, nope.
Anyway, I can't stress enough how happy, delighted, delirious I am that I opened the first book of this series because it was free. There are many, many freebies that went to the trash on my kindle, but this one never will. And all the books that followed. I can't wait to find out what happens next and I'm happy that Lyla Payne is a prolific writer because I won't have to wait too long. I'm also happy that I found such a talented author that portrays such excellent characters with such gripping plots !
Profile Image for Jacquelyn.
114 reviews3 followers
October 16, 2016
Another great installment for Graciela Harper! Not Quite Alive may be my favorite book in the series so far...What's the deal with Gracie's father?! And when will we know about the mysterious Lucy?! And when are we finally going to meet Jack?!! Well folks, this book is the answer.

Payne's writing is still top notch and the story continues to be captivating. Theres a new angle involving Gracie's ancestors' journals that may help her learn about her abilities. With cryptic messages from her father, her boyfriends ex-love of his life, and her new brother, Gracie has more going on than ever! So much happens in this book but of course I am left (im)patiently waiting for the next one!! The book hangover is real and I don't think any other book in the series left me with such a cliffhanger feeling...until next time Heron Creek!
Profile Image for Cindy Mathis.
209 reviews1 follower
January 9, 2017
I absolutely love this series! I've had Not Quite Alive sitting in my Kindle library since it came out, and have read on it off and on because...life. I picked it up again and wasn't able to put it down! I'm so glad I waited because there's a cliffhanger, so I get to find out what happens next in just a couple of days when Not Quite Free releases.

This installment of Gracie and the goings on in Heron Creek is the most emotional one yet. I can't say much that won't be a spoiler, but buckle up and get ready for the ride! So much adversity for Gracie in this book, and I can't wait to see how she handles all of the things coming her way. Lyla Payne is a genius!
Profile Image for Heather.
277 reviews7 followers
October 13, 2016
Wow. So much happened in this book that I am still processing everything. What a whirlwind!

By the end of this book, I'm not sure who to trust. There are so many questions - there were some answers too - but so many more questions. I do not want to give spoilers, so I'm just going to say that this was one of the most exciting, heartbreaking, and heartwarming books in this series. Lyla Payne has done it again.

Seriously, if you love Graciela, don't miss this book!
Profile Image for Ashlee Lau.
206 reviews
October 26, 2016
This story is an amazing way to bridge the story arc from Momma Lottie into what is sure to be an exciting, complicated and emotional move into finally getting Gracie some answers about her family. As always Lyla's writing is superb, her ability to weave an engaging and captivating story with a plot that will leave you guessing (even 8 books in) is something that will keep you coming back for more.
Profile Image for Brandy Barber.
829 reviews14 followers
February 2, 2017
What a story.

I can't wait for the next book. I have a list of guilty people I myself would like to question. I wish Gracie had the happiness she seeks. I know she had people that are in her circle but for one reason or other they all have someone else. I am looking forward to the next book.
Profile Image for Barbara.
82 reviews
October 14, 2016
First of the series I've rated 5 stars. My only complaint with this one was the cliffhanger ending - what a place to stop! I've already ordered the 9th book. Looking forward to finding out what happens next.
89 reviews3 followers
October 19, 2016
Love this series

One of my favorite series! Love Graciela and her mysteries! Can't wait for the next in the series and to learn more about her father's family line!
Displaying 1 - 17 of 17 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.