Start by marking “After the Fall” as Want to Read:
After the Fall

After the Fall

From the author who brought you Dear Thing, Julie Cohen, comes After the Fall -- a poignant, beautifully heartbreaking novel about what it means to be family, the ties that bind us, and the secrets that threaten to tear us apart.

Published May 2nd 2017 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published September 10th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about After the Fall, please sign up.
Julie Cohen (Sorry Claudia, I just saw this question!)

We are waiting for news on this title from our US publisher, St Martin's Press. I hope it will be soon!

Julie…more
(Sorry Claudia, I just saw this question!)

Julie x(less)
Julie Cohen Hi there! This book was published as FALLING in the UK, but because of the US publishing schedule, it was going to be published at the same time as…moreHi there! This book was published as FALLING in the UK, but because of the US publishing schedule, it was going to be published at the same time as Jane Green's FALLING in paperback in the US. So to avoid confusion, St Martin's changed the title to AFTER THE FALL.

The original UK title of this book (under which it was never published, but some of the covers here on Goodreads show it) was THE DAY OF SECOND CHANCES, but that was changed before publication.

Titles are super tricky. But the content of the book is the same whatever the title!(less)

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
My mom and I share and discuss books. We have our own mini book club! :) I have noticed as I've gotten older, and she's now in her 70s, that there are not many protagonists in her age group. After The Fall has a main character similar in age to Mom, and what a prickly character she was! With strong themes of family bonds, hidden secrets, and forgiveness, three generations of Honor's family come together to see if second chances really do exist. Julie Cohen is skilled at writing plot. I am gratef ...more
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
I won a physical ARC copy of Falling on Twitter!

What a story, that's all I can say. It revolves around the life of three women, Honor, Jo and her daughter Lydia, each of them hold a big secret that if revealed could change friendships and relationships with each other forever. Honor suffers a fall at her home and for recovery, she moves into her daughter-in-law Jo's house. Jo has had it rough as well, getting over a divorce from her 2nd husband while Lydia is in her final year at school about to
Kristy
There are all sorts of falls.

For Honor, it is an actual fall. An intelligent, proud woman, Honor raised her son, Stephen, alone. But Stephen married and then unexpectedly passed away, and Honor lives by herself. A fall down the stairs of her stately home lands her in the hospital with a broken hip and her pride deeply wounded. Suddenly, Honor is at the mercy of her former daughter-in-law, Jo, who was Stephen's wife, to help care for her.

For Jo, her fall may not be physical, but she feels as if s
Erin
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
After the Fall tells the story of three generations of women and the secrets they hide from the people they love Grandmother Honor, daughter in law, Jo, and granddaughter, Lydia are all at a crossroads in their lives. Honor, a successful professor of physics sustains a serious fall that causes the hospital to reach out to her daughter in law, Jo, a single mother of three, to take Honor into her home. Although Jo has always struggled to sustain a relationship with Honor, Jo knows that it's someth ...more
Joanne Robertson
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I have my daughter to thank for discovering Julie Cohen when she picked up Dear Thing at the airport last year and the whole family ended up reading and loving it. It's now one of my favourite books and I didn't think the author could top it but Falling has pretty much done it! My heart is still recovering from the gasp out loud moment near the end and I feel emotionally wrung out!

This story is told by 3 generations of woman from the same family, all with something to hide. Honor, a standoffish
Carrie
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Honor is now in her seventies and living alone so when she has a bad fall down the stairs she ends up with the hospital calling her next of kin... her daughter in law, Jo. Jo had married Honor's son years before but unfortunately he had passed away and Honor and Jo had never been close so it came as quite the surprise when Jo gets the phone call from the hospital.

Jo knows that Honor has no one else in her life to help her out and wants her to get to know her granddaughter Lydia better so she wa
Briar's Reviews
Dec 24, 2018 marked it as to-read
I won a copy of this book in 2017 and as of December 24th, 2018 I still have not received a copy of it.
Bianca
"Falling" tells the story of three different generations of women. Three very different women. The youngest of them is Lydia, who's sixteen years old and gay, but nobody knows it, as she's very good at pretending.

Her mum, Jo, is forty, a widow and divorced from her second husband, who fell in love with their very young au-pair. So now, Jo has a moody teenager and two kids under four to deal with.

Dr Honor Levingston is Jo's mother-in-law, the mother of her deceased first husband and Lyd
Tracy Fenton
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read and loved Dear Thing years ago but since then I have moved on to dark psychological thrillers as my go to genre. I started reading this as a break from all the thrillers and was immediately gripped and transported into the world of Jo, Honor and Lydia. 3 generations of the same family forced to live together with their secrets and fears. Julie Cohen has an incredible talent for bringing these characters to life and making you care and believe in each one. A truly heartwarming book which I ...more
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
What a wonderful story this is.

With three main characters, Honor the mother in law/grandmother, Jo the daughter in law/mother and Lydia the daughter/grand daughter.

Each character is quite strong in their own way and are all keeping secrets as well as still dealing with the loss of the man who unites them all.

This is very much a story of relationships, being truthful and realising that life really is to short and to live for the day.

Can't recommend highly enough.
Ana
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I was quite apprehensive before I started reading Falling, especially because it was defined as chick lit and I never read any book by that category because I felt it would not appeal to me. Having finished the book, I can honestly say that not only did I enjoy it tremendously but this was some of the finest character development I have ever seen.

This novel fully grasped my attention for the get-go. The chapters are composed of alternating views between th
Margaret Madden
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Three generations of women. Three secrets kept. Each secret has different meaning but all have knock-on effect.

Honor has a nasty fall in her own home and finally realizes that she cannot manage her elderly-self without help. Jo takes control and moves her mother-in-law into the home she shares with her three children and memories of her dead husband. Lydia resents her Grandmother taking her room and she silently battles her own demons. Three women, under one roof yet hiding from each other...

We
Simona
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
*Book provided by the publisher on NetGalley for an honest review*

Three women, three generations, three stories, three ranges of emotions. All of them under one roof – that’s going to be interesting. All three women have a secret…

Honor is in her eighties and lives all alone. She is very clever and independent. When she falls, she goes to live with her daughter-in-law Jo.

Jo lost her first husband Stephen, married for the second time, had two kids with Richard and is now alone again. Turns out Ric
Zoe
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thought-provoking, reflective and deeply moving!

This is an intriguing novel that emphasizes the enduring mental and emotional anguish that can be caused by underlying grief, secrets, guilt, family dynamics, sexuality struggles, friendship and loneliness and emphasizes the importance of acceptance, closure, forgiveness and love.

The prose is expressive and clear. The characters are consumed, troubled, wounded and real. And the character-driven plot interweaves the lives of these three generations
Karen ⊰✿
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, uno_2016
Jo is a single mother of three, once widowed, and once divorced.
Lydia is her teenage daughter going through final school exams.
Honor is Jo's mother in law, Lydia's grandmother, and an imposing presence who likes to be left alone.

Told through the eyes of these three women, the characters are wonderfully real and likeable. This is a book about families and the secrets we all keep. It is most certainly a "feel good" novel full of romance, anxiety, tears, laughter, and of course - second chances.

I h
Debbie
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read Julie Cohen's book "Dear Thing" and I loved it. I saw this book offered on Net Galley and I basically skimmed over the description. I mean I was already pushing the button to request the book.
Lo and behold, she's got another winner, in my book.

I absolutely loved this one. Talk about the worst mother-in-law you've ever heard of. This book has it. Poor Jo (the daughter-in-law), not only is the son (husband) they shared dead, but Jo has moved on and married and divorced another man. Which,
Rachel Gilbey
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Three very different secrets, three generations of women in the same family. One day where it will all come out, and a cracking story even leading up to that point. The Day of Second Chances is simply amazing, Julie Cohen has managed to weave three stories together, with very little overlap, in such a way that you are drawn in and want to keep reading.

Honor, is in her eighties and after a fall, has to move in with Jo, her daughter in law. Honor is hiding a few secrets. Honor is a proud woman, a
Tracy Fenton
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Femke (booksfemme)
Such a cute read! Am left with a shite ton of questions though????
Martina
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dit boek heb ik eerst geluisterd en later gelezen (ging net wat sneller). Het is een leuk en ook mooi verhaal over de moeizame relatie tussen Jo, haar schoonmoeder Honor, en haar puberdochter Lydia.
Dorien
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Angela
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I received this book for free through Goodreads Giveaways.

After The Fall is a story about three generations of women, learning to live with each other while still hiding the biggest parts of themselves. When Honor is injured in a fall, her daughter-in-law Jo invites her to stay with her and her daughter Lydia until she heals.

Jo and Honor have always had a difficult relationship, which became even more strained after the death of Jo's husband and Honor's son, Stephen. This part of the book was ve
Reeca Elliott
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-app, netgalley
This book was an unexpected pleasure for me. I don’t know what I actually thought this book was about…but I was bowled over with the characters, the story and the myriad of emotions. This is some amazing writing. I was so wrapped up in EACH character. It was like I was right there with them experiencing the same feelings.

Honor is a cranky old woman who takes a pretty bad spill. She moves in with Jo and her family. Honor is irritable and hard to get along with for many reasons. Basically, she is
Julie Smith
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
The blurb:

A poignant, beautifully heartbreaking novel about what it means to be family, the ties that bind us, and the secrets that threaten to tear us apart.

When an unfortunate accident forces Honor back into the lives of her widowed daughter-in-law, Jo, and her only granddaughter, Lydia, she cannot wait to be well enough to get back to her own home.

However, the longer she stays with Jo and Lydia, the more they start to feel like a real family. But each of the three women is keeping secrets fr
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Toni, Lynne, Laura
Shelves: general-fiction
This is realistic fiction at its finest! This novel drew me in on the first page and kept me captivated throughout.
Honor, a fiercely independent 80-year-old woman, takes a tumble down the stairs resulting in a broken hip. Feeling a sense of obligation, her widowed daughter-in-law, Jo, invites her guarded in-law to recuperate with her family. Honor deemed Jo unworthy of her beloved son early on in their courtship and the tension has only grown sense his demise. Nonetheless, she begrudgingly agre
Laurel
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was given an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an independent review.

I really enjoyed reading this book. It has a wonderful range of characters who are very well depicted.
The secrets of a family unravel at a good pace and made for intriguing reading. The three stories interweave cleverly.

Originally read as After the Fall in 2016.

4 stars
Paltia
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
I went back and forth on this book. Initially, I was going to put it in my bag to return to the library. Something kept me going. There are a lot of topics covered but they, I think, all boil down to the human condition of aloneness and how each character copes. It was okay, probably a 2.5. A bit too everything always works out in the end.
Linda Lpp
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
For me it was just ok. In the early pages it seemed a book for young adults. The bulk of the challenges and issues at play between all the characters (alive and deceased) played out in the final chapters. Ho hum.
Paula Ward
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a sweet little book but ultimately not very memorable.
Monique
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Mooi verhaal over drie generaties vrouwen.
  • Adventures of a Wimpy Werewolf: Hairy But Not Scary
  • Saving Grace
  • Two Weddings and a Baby
  • First We Take Manhattan
  • The Milk Train Doesn't Stop Here Anymore
  • A Very Big House in the Country
  • Helemaal het einde
  • The World of Jacqueline Wilson
  • Lottie Biggs is (not) Mad (Lottie Biggs, #1)
  • Killer Queens
  • Scoop!
  • Vallen
  • Every Time a Bell Rings
  • How to Stuff Up Christmas
  • Twitter Girl
  • The School Inspector Calls! (Little Village School #3)
  • The Abrupt Physics of Dying (Claymore Straker #1)
  • Time After Time