Start by marking “Never Trust a Pirate (Playful Brides, #7)” as Want to Read:
Never Trust a Pirate (Playful Brides, #7)

Never Trust a Pirate

(Playful Brides #7)

The rules of engagement were never so scandalous. . .

A rumored pirate and the scurrilous black sheep of his well-to- do family, Cade Cavendish relishes his world of rebellion, deception, and seduction. Nothing and no one can hold him to be the duty-bound, honorable man he is expected to be. But when an unexpected run-in at his twin brother's estate with a ravishing, raven-
Mass Market Paperback, 309 pages
Published May 2nd 2017 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

Stacey is Sassy
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it

IT'S ALIVE!!!

Spies like us...and a Pirate or two

I think I’ve admitted this before but I’ll come straight out and say it again…I’m a bit of a snob. Well, I’m a snob when it comes to my historical romance reads. Never Trust a Pirate started out with a Maid and a Mister and I admit to thinking *Oh bugger, the "help" has arrived*. Terrible, I know, but I read with hopes of escaping reality. Unfortunately, reading about working from dusk til dawn at someone else’s bidding doesn’t really do it for me.
Holly
May 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, netgalley
This is my second book by Valerie Bowman and I can honestly say, that she has a new fan. I believe this is the 7th book in the Playful Brides series but I've only read the 4th one. I'm really behind!! You don't lose anything by jumping in the middle of the series though. You'll see other characters but not know the whole story. What interested me about this one is the pirate aspect. I was so excited when I saw the title of this book. I've been wanting more adventure so this seemed right up my al ...more
Frankie Reviews
I really like Danielle she acts like a strong, independent woman, she has had to deal with a lot through her life she and been forced to grow up far too quickly then she should have and that has made her so self-reliant, but she craves love and kindness something she has never been shown. Her father was a Frenchman and died too soon and her English aristocratic mother is seriously ill, Danielle never had the extravagant Tonish balls and come out like all women of her station would, and that has ...more
Erin Kelly
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fave-historicals
I love a good pirate book, so I was pretty thrilled to get my hands on this new one by Valerie Bowman. It is the 7th book in her "Playful Brides" series, but it works completely as a stand-alone. Twists, undercover identities and pirate sexy times? Yes, please!

The Story-
I don't want to give too much away because this one is so much fun to read and discover as you go, so I'll keep this fairly brief. Danielle is a new lady's maid, and the brother of the master of house is the "black sheep" rake of
Barbara Rogers
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Sensuous, smart, captivating, humorous - you'll be caught up in the world of pirates, spies, intrigue, murder, revenge and, of course romance. You'll be captivated by it!!! Such an exciting read!!! I enjoyed it so much I read it non-stop until I finished! The characters are compelling, witty, sensuous and filled to the brim with secrets.

I loved all of the witty banter between the two main characters. They are alike in so many way - yet they each think they are so very different. Both have had h
Pamela
Apr 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Pirates! Spies! Secrets! Romance! This tale contains all of these exciting things, but it was just a bit lackluster for me. Although it is a decent read, I just found a few things to be beyond belief. Cade, our male lead, was exciting and interesting, but, Danielle was not. She was a bit cliché for me and the most unbelievable.
I am still a fan of Ms. Bowman's, and will continue to read her books. This one is just not my favorite.

**Thank you to the publisher and Net Galley in exchange of an hones
Joy
Dear God. Who was this creature?

First, I just want to say that I have never seen so many names that start with the same letter in one single book ever before. Here's a bit of perspective: There are about 4-5 main characters that are well-introduced and truly important to the plot's progress. Now, look at the list of names that start with "D":

Daphne
Danielle
Danny
Donald
Delilah
Derek
(And I might be missing one or two)

So we can all see that the "D" list is longer than the "important" list. Nice. Memor
Mary - Buried Under Romance
Who is the infamous Black Fox?

Few knew of his loyalties, as the pirate Black Fox strikes again stealing certain papers off a French ship. Is it Cade Cavendish, the younger twin of a newly minted viscount (hero of The Irresistible Rogue) Or is it the Viscount Spy himself?

Contrary to the intriguing premise, and the amount of espionage activities in this novel, it is ultimately one centered on brotherly bonds and redemption, particularly for Cade. Cade Cavendish's mysterious return to England afte
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This is a definite win in a consistently good series. Valerie Bowman writes so charmingly, and I love that the heroine is as roguish as the hero. I like the surprises along the way and Danielle is probably going on my favorite heroines list, not because we share the name. But because she's awesome. I picture Eva Green as Danielle.

Overall rating: 4.5/5.0 stars.

Reviewed for Affaire de Coeur Magazine http://affairedecoeurmagazine.com.
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
***ARC Provided by St. Martin's Press via NetGalley***

Pirates are fun. And, pirate books are fun. Because pirates.

really, I could stop here and we would have said all that needs to be said. Pirate books are fun, this was a pirate book and it was, you guessed it, fun.

I think the appeal, at least for me, of Cade was that he was a scoundrel and maybe, just possibly, the kind of book boyfriend who is better left in the book, as he would be just a little high maintenance for regular days.

Danielle, ho
Mariana
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
These two were perfect for each other.
Vijetha
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Review:

7th book in the Playful Brides series.

I was provided with an ARC and an opportunity to participate in this 7th installment of the Playful Brides. And I'm so thankful for this, because I loved the book!

Now, I just have to read all the Playful Brides books. This novel managed to kick me in the ass and ask why haven't I tried Valerie Bowman's books yet. I loved her writing style. One more great author in my kitty!

Cade Cavendish is the never-do-good er brother of the famous Rafe Cavendis
Kimberly
My review cross-posted from Wit and Sin: http://witandsin.blogspot.com/2017/04...

From the halls of an elegant Mayfair townhouse to the high seas, Never Trust a Pirate is a delightful Regency romp. Valerie Bowman has a fun, breezy writing style that never fails to entertain me and her characters are always jam-packed with wit and charm, so it was easy for me to fall into this seventh Playful Brides novel.

Cade Cavendish is the black sheep of his family. Having grown up poor with an abusive fathe
AnnMarie
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Never Trust a Pirate is the seventh book in the Playful Brides series by Valerie Bowman. Although part of a series it can easily be read as a stand alone book. But if like me, you find you really enjoy this book, I am sure you will want to go back and read all the other stories in the series too.

Cade Cavendish is supposed to be dead, so imagine his twin brother's surprise when years later he turns up on his doorstep! Where has he been all these years why didn't he let his family know he was aliv
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
Off for adventure, seduction, secrets, deception, mistaken identity, and so much more. This was one fun, sexy, journey to love. There were pirates, an heiress, twins, twists, deception, a sheep, a fox, a great story, lots of fun and a wicked adventure or two along the read. I have had the pleasure of reading a few books in this series. I have had fun with each one of them. But this one by far gave me the most fun, adventure, with a pirate.

There are secrets within the secrets, lies on top of lie
Hollis
He might have the face of a Greek god but he had the personality of a horse's ass.

What started out as a promising historical regency-style Spy vs Spy, with some pirates thrown in, turned out to.. be.. less promising. Or at least never living up to the concept or my hopes.

This is my first read by Bowman and I'm coming into this Playful Brides series at book seven (shame shame) but that being said I found it pretty easy to slip into this world. Her writing wasn't extraordinary but neither did it g
Deniz
Mar 17, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5Stars

I took a good while to get into this book. In the beginning it felt like a classic pirate romp movie. The characters all felt a bit cliche... and I was quite sure I was in for a tab bit of a disappointment.
This is the first book I read by Bowman. So I wasn't sure what to expect. The only thing that did keep me going in the beginning was the writing style and very soon the witty dialogues as well.
So about a quarter in I had resigned myself to a well written book with great banter but sad
April
Never trust a Pirate by Valerie Bowman is another exciting Regency Historical Romance in her "Playful Brides" series. While #7, it can be read as a stand alone. It does have re-appearing characters from previous books. This does not distract nor interfere in enjoying "Never Trust a Pirate". Refreshing and intriguing story!

This is the story of Cade Cavendish and Miss Danielle LaCrosse. Cade is the "black sheep of the Cavendish family, with secrets. He is the twin brother to Rafe from a previous s
Donna
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a fun spy versus spy story! Danielle LaCrosse has taken a job as a lady’s maid to Lady Daphne Cavendish but has another life too. She’s never been a maid before but is very good at adapting to a situation. Especially if that job gets her closer to moving her ailing mother out of London.

Cade Cavendish is the black sheep of his family and is currently residing at his brother’s home where he meets Danielle. He is very attracted to her but no woman interferes with his work or gets close to him.
Shanice Singh
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
The first Playful Brides book I ever read was Daphne's story (The Irresistible Rogue) and while there have been more than a few books released since then, I've always wondered what happened to Cade.
Apparently the mysterious Cavendish brother has moved in with Rafe and spends his nights out doing...something.
Danielle is a spy who has been hired to keep an eye on Cade but it isn't long before an attraction sparks between them. Cade is supposed to be Danielle's last job and the key to her freedom a
Tracy Emro
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
* I am voluntarily leaving a review for an eARC provided to me by NetGalley and the publisher*

Of all the books I have read in the series, this is by far my favorite. I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this book!

I have been waiting for Cade's story ever since he showed up at the end of The Irresistible Rogue. Cade is Rafe's twin and the self proclaimed black sheep of their family. He is a rake and a total scoundrel, but he is also devastatingly handsome and oh-so charming.

Danielle is a spy, who has been plan
Sheila Melo
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"The Black Fox Strikes Again"

FINAL DECISION:  Twisty with lots of secrets and strong independent characters but not too dark, I loved this one!  The story didn't go where I expected it to from the title.  The characters were slowly revealed both to the reader and to one another.  The story was so fun but with some depth and purpose.

THE STORY:  Danielle LaCross seeking work as a lady's maid for a viscountess.  She mistakes Cade Cavendish for his twin brother the viscount.  Cade is a known rogue a
Rozzie
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an extraordinary book by Ms. Valerie Bowman! Even though this is the first book I have ever read of hers which is an unfortunate mistake on my part. Why is this book extraordinary because out of all the regency historical books I read which is quite a lot this book has more than the lords, ladies and the ton. The book is filled with action, adventure, mistaken identities, spies, politics, pirates, intrigue and romance all rolled into one. That it left me breathlessly anticipating what wa ...more
Lia   Covington
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lia's Bookish Obsession http://liasbookishobsession.com http://liasbookishobsession.com/never... description

I would like to thank the publisher of St. Martin’s Press and NetGalley for allowing me the chance to read this book before it’s publication date in exchange for an honest review.

I give this book 4.5 stars!

This is my first time reading any of Valerie Bowman’s work and I’ very excited.This book stole my heart in the best way possible. Never Trust a Pirate is only 288 pages but it’s the best 288 pages
Anna
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fun! Exciting! Full of suspense - and surprises I never saw coming. A sassy heroine- full of secrets and a bad boy hero with secrets of his own. If you enjoy pirate stories and you love Regency romances ...this book has it all.

The pain of losing her parents and seeing her father killed at the hands of a French traitor sends a thirteen year-old Danielle LaCrosse out into the world seeking revenge, dedicating her life to making it happen. She survives doing any job she has to- looking for somethi
Maria
Apr 06, 2017 rated it liked it
+++ I was invited to read this ARC through NetGalley and voluntarily reviewed it +++
Overall, “Never Trust a Pirate” was an enjoyable read with main characters that break the mould, playing by their own rules.
The plot revolves around a world of deception, a game of mirrors with spies and pirates. The hero and heroine are not exactly who they seem to be – Cade Cavendish, the black sheep of the family, is seeking justice; the heroine, Danielle LaCrosse, is far from being an harmless maid.
I particul
eyes.2c
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So enjoyable!

The action literally hums! Not a dull moment! Gorgeous, ' enfant terrible', pirate spy and enticing lady spy masquerading as a lady's maid are unknowingly in search of the same things.
Half French, Danielle LaCrosse, has been placed by the home office secret services into the household of Viscount Rafferty Cavendish, to watch his brother Cade Cavendish.
Having lost her father at thirteen, and with her mother gravely ill, Danielle is determined to bring the villain responsible for her
Monique
Apr 11, 2017 rated it liked it
An escape from St. Helena is being planned for Bonaparte, and the Black Fox narrowly escapes with the map indicating the route the general will take... Who is the Black Fox?

Until nine months ago, the world thought Cade Cavendish dead, but he is alive and well and living in Mayfair with his identical twin brother Rafe. Cade is the black sheep of the family, nobody really knows how he earns his living. He is also a bit of a rogue. Danielle LaCrosse desperately needs the position as lady’s maid to
Isha Coleman
Apr 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Despite a few bumps in the road, Never Trust a Pirate delivered a mystique that proved an intriguing match for the adventurous duo that led the journey. While Danielle and Cade make a go of seducing each other, Ms. Bowman likewise entices her readers into this web of secrets, suspense and romance. There's always a new discovery in this dangerous tale of sensuality that got a bit out of control but kept me as a reader on my toes.
Victoria Cavill
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book!!

If you did too or want to read this new sizzling book, there is a chance to win a paperback of this very book.
A friend of mine is doing a Giveaway at her blog in the form of a contest.
Go participate and win the book..!!!
It's US only.

The book can be yours in just a click:

Goodreads Librari...: Add cover 5 14 May 02, 2017 08:53AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Apr 14, 2017 01:29PM
  • Addicted to the Duke (Imperfect Lords, #1)
  • One for the Rogue (Studies in Scandal, #4)
  • Taming a Savage Gentleman (Taming the Heart, #5)
  • Sebastian's Lady Spy (Secrets & Seduction, #5)
  • Pirate Heiress
  • The Rogue Is Back in Town (The Wayward Wallflowers, #3)
  • The Scandalous Flirt (Cinderella Sisterhood, #6)
  • One Summer of Surrender (Seasons, #3)
  • Ghost of the Highlands: Tales of the Isles - 1 (Highland Legends Book 6)
  • Real Earls Break the Rules (The Infamous Somertons #2)
  • I Spy a Duke (Covert Heiresses, #1)
  • Deadly Peril (Alec Halsey Mystery, #3)
  • Guarded by the Warrior (Conquered Bride Series Book 5)
  • The Undercover Scoundrel (The Hope Diamond Trilogy, #3)
  • Captain's Captive
  • Once a Scoundrel (The Secret Life of Scoundrels, #4)
  • The Luck of the Bride (The Cavensham Heiresses #3)
  • The Earl’s Unexpected Journey Of Love (The Fairbanks Series - Love & Hearts)
Valerie Bowman is an award-winning author who writes Regency-set historical romance novels aka Racy Regency Romps!

Valerie’s debut novel was published in 2012. Since then, her books have received starred reviews from Publisher’s Weekly, Booklist, and Kirkus. She’s been an RT Reviewers’ Choice nominee for Best First Historical Romance and Best Historical Romance Love and Laughter. Two of her books h

Playful Brides (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Unexpected Duchess (Playful Brides, #1)
  • The Accidental Countess (Playful Brides, #2)
  • The Unlikely Lady (Playful Brides, #3)
  • The Irresistible Rogue (Playful Brides, #4)
  • The Untamed Earl (Playful Brides, #5)
  • The Legendary Lord (Playful Brides, #6)
  • The Right Kind of Rogue (Playful Brides, #8)
  • A Duke Like No Other (Playful Brides, #9)
  • Kiss Me at Christmas (Playful Brides, #10)
  • No Other Duke But You (Playful Brides, #11)