Start by marking “Young Leonardo: The Evolution of a Revolutionary Artist, 1472-1499” as Want to Read:
Young Leonardo: The Evolution of a Revolutionary Artist, 1472-1499

Young Leonardo: The Evolution of a Revolutionary Artist, 1472-1499

Provocative and original, this fresh look at Leonardo da Vinci's formative years in Florence and Milan provides a radically different scenario of how he created his signature style that would transform Western art forever.

The traditional view of Leonardo da Vinci's career is that he enjoyed a promising start in Florence and then moved to Milan to become the celebrated
Published May 23rd 2017 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about Young Leonardo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Young Leonardo

Start your review of Young Leonardo: The Evolution of a Revolutionary Artist, 1472-1499
Jerrie (redwritinghood)
Update: June 7, 2017- The author was kind enough to send me a copy of the finished book so that I could view the pictures in the final copy. My original review was of the Advance Reading Copy. Pictures in the final book are much improved. While many are still black and white, there is a section in the middle of color pictures of the important pieces discussed in the text. Additionally, the black and white photos are much clearer and shaper. This greatly improves the reading experience.
I
David Eppenstein
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Initially let me state that I was given this Advanced Reader's Copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. With the formalities taken care of let me also state that this is a work of serious scholarship and not likely to appeal to the casual reader of history. If you have little or no interest in art history or the Italian Renaissance then you will probably find this book very boring. While I do not have a strong attraction for Renaissance art I do greatly admire the architecture of that ...more
Brenda
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: won
I'm not an art historian or have a specific interest in the renaissance yet this well written book captured my interest and kept it.
Bonny
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a very readable book. I have read books about da Vinci's life before but this book made it all a little more cohesive and enjoyable to read. I particularly like the comparison of styles and da Vinci's influence on other artistsof his time and beyond.
William Dury
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it
The main lesson I got from this fine book was Leonardo's contribution to the progress of Western-Euro painting. I have a feeling that (or maybe the authors told me, not sure) if you look at Western-Euro painting before and after Leonardo you have two very different art forms. In portrait painting this results in an inner life for his subjects not tapped by previous painters. I think somewhere they may have made a comparison of pre-Leonardo portraits and those found on the heads of coins.

They
Lori Tatar
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed Young Leonardo: The Evolution of a Revolutionary Artist, 1472-1499
by Jean-Pierre Isbouts and Christopher Heath Brown. It is a history of Leonardo Da Vinci with some speculation that can be added to previous theories about him and his art, ending with the world-famous Last Supper. It was an engaging and interesting read without becoming pedantic.
Davis Lewis
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully written and Simply Brillant !!!
Doris Raines
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
NICE BOOK,
Marshall
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book will never displace Isaacson or Martin Kemp’s books, but it has some interesting insights into da Vinci’s works.
K
rated it it was ok
May 15, 2018
C K P
Jun 11, 2017

• The Inheritance (Dragonlance: Classics, #4)
  • Caravaggio: A Life Sacred and Profane
  • The Female Brain
  • Tocqueville: A Very Short Introduction
  • Locke: A Very Short Introduction
  • America Afire: Jefferson, Adams, and the Revolutionary Election of 1800
JEAN-PIERRE ISBOUTS is a humanities scholar and graduate professor in the doctoral programs at Fielding Graduate University in Santa Barbara, California. He has published widely on the origins of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, including the bestseller Biblical World: An Illustrated Atlas; Young Jesus: Restoring the "Lost Years" of a Social Activist and Religious Dissident; From Moses to ...more