Start by marking “Behind Closed Doors” as Want to Read:
Behind Closed Doors

Behind Closed Doors

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  189,311 Ratings  ·  19,172 Reviews
THE INSTANT NEW YORK TIMES AND USA TODAY BESTSELLING DEBUT PSYCHOLOGICAL THRILLER YOU CAN'T MISS!

Suspense that gets inside your head.

The perfect marriage? Or the perfect lie?
“A hair-raising debut, both unsettling and addictive...A chilling thriller that will keep you reading long into the night.” —Mary Kubica, New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of The Good Gi
Published May 16th 2017 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published February 11th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Behind Closed Doors, please sign up.
Sneha A
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Emily May
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 1/2 stars. Okay, listen up. This book is not the next Gone Girl. Don't let anyone tell you that. It just isn't. It's not that kind of twisty, secretive book at all. It's the kind of fast-paced, pulpy read that plays with your emotions without ever making you think too hard. But, so help me, I could not put it down.

karen nailed it when she described this book as being fuelled by its action, not its suspense. The story actually gives up its secrets almost immediately - in fact, most of you proba
Deanna
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book late last night and I still can't stop thinking about it.

I have been wanting to read Behind Closed Doors for quite some time. When it was available on NetGalley I requested it right away but unfortunately was denied. I think that just made me want it more!

So when I finally got my hands on it I just had to put everything else aside and start reading. And I was pulled in right away.

***Possibly some very minor spoilers***

"The perfect marriage or the perfect lie?"

The story alt
karen
congratulations! semifinalist in goodreads' best mystery/thriller AND debut author categories 2016!

photo IMG_0943_zpsnhl70cdd.jpg

women's health calls this book "2016's ANSWER TO GONE GIRL"

dear women's health - please leave the readers' advisory work to trained professionals and stick to telling us how much water we should be drinking. for our vaginas.

this is nothing like Gone Girl. it's nothing like The Girl on the Train. i'm not even sure this can be classified as psychological suspense, really. this is a straight-up thril
Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
*4 stars* (Because 3.98 sounds too olympic-figure-skating-judgey)

Sorry you had to take all that heat, George Clooney…

If you can dig deep and find it in you to curb your need for concrete common sense and logic for the sake of some truly fun fiction, then you, my friend, are the perfect prospect for Behind Closed Doors .

Because this is the second book by B.A. Paris that I could not put down. Sure, I had to battle a few nagging concerns while I read:
- This wouldn't really happen this way…
-Sure
Lola
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, marriage
Behind Closed Doors is terribly frightening.

Especially since it’s not far-fetched. It’s realistic in a scary, can’t-fall-in-love-blindly-anymore and I-need-to-scrutinize-my-boyfriend kind of way.

It’s terrifying because it’s a story that could happen to anyone. Even the most vigilant of human beings can be duped by a genuine smile and gentlemanly gestures.

I stayed up all night to finish this book, which shows how determined I was to see how everything would play out in the end for Grace and ‘‘Jac
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

My first warning should have been . . .

“The 2016 debut bloggers can't stop raving about. Perfect for fans of The Girl on the Train.”

Palm Springs commercial photography

By the time I was finished, there was only one thing that was going to cure my misery . . .

Palm Springs commercial photography

WARNING: SPOILERS BECAUSE I DON’T GIVE ONE GOOD GODDANG ‘BOUT THIS ONE.

Grace was a big muckity muck – living a jet set lifestyle as a buyer for Harrod’s. That all changed, however, when she met George Clooney J
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shelby *trains flying monkeys* by: Brandie
I've been dying to read this book every since I first saw the blurb about it. I knew it wasn't going to be pretty and I have an un-holy attraction to books about psychos.
Palm Springs commercial photography

I don't want to give up too much of the book because the biggest draw for it is the twisty parts of it.
Grace has not had too much luck with men.
She has a younger sister Millie who has Down's syndrome, and most men kind of back off once they realize that Grace is Millie's primary caregiver and that she isn't going to change t
Arianna✦❋SteamyReadsBlog❋✦
4 Stars!!

description

"‘Fear,’ he whispered. ‘There is nothing quite like it. I love how it looks, I love how it feels, I love how it smells. And I especially love the sound of it.’ I felt his tongue on my cheek. ‘I even love the taste of it.’"

Before starting this one keep in mind that appearances can be deceiving. “Behind Closed Doors” is a gripping, thought-provoking thriller with some psychological and mystery elements that will keep you at the edge of your seat. The story has some interesting twists
Jennifer Masterson
I know a lot of you guys loved this book, but it turned out to be just meh for me. It had it's moments and kept me up late last night, but I had a hard time suspending disbelief with this one. I don't know why.

I listened to the audio version. The audio is good. It's short and only about 8 hours. The narrator does a good job, but the book translated into a Lifetime Movie via audio for me. It might be better to read a hardcopy of it.

Thank you to Lisa for recommending it to me. :). She loved the bo
Jules

Behind Closed Doors will capture your mind and keep your heart prisoner until the very last page!

I finished Behind Closed Doors about half an hour ago, and my heart still feels like it’s racing, probably not helped by me forgetting to breathe throughout the majority of the book. I found myself wishing I could read faster, just so I had a chance to catch my breath. Make sure you read this with a glass of wine or a box of chocolates, as they may save your life by distracting you from the story lon
Candace
Check out more of my reviews at www.bookaddicthaven.com

Whew! This was certainly one creepy and screwed up story. I expected it to be really messed up, but not in quite the way that it was. A pervasive sense of uneasiness stayed with me the entire time that I was reading this book. Creepy...Very creepy.

The book opens with a dinner party at Jack and Grace's home. Jack is a successful attorney, well-known for advocating for battered women. Grace is the soft-spoken, elegant wife. Everything about th
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
UPDATE: 11-3-16 $2.99 on kindle. Not sure for how long!

My initial reaction during the beginning of this book was, "What The Hell Is Going On." I knew it wasn't good and I had an idea but ideas are never totally what your thinking.

Jack Angel is a lawyer and his wife Grace used to be a lot of things but she's not any more. Oh, she's the perfect hostess when people are allowed to come over, but things are never what they seem. When I found out what was going on, all I could see was kill him! NOW!
Elyse Walters
SPOILERS --- SPOILERS ---- SPOILERS ----SPOILER!!!!!

*Diving into the spoiler >>>> "Molly could only have been dead a few days at the most, because her body hadn't started to decompose. Jack had been very clever in that respect; he had left her some water, but not quite enough to last her two weeks until we got home. The shock of finding her dead was terrible. The look of malevolent anticipation on Jack's face as he opened the door to the utility room had prepared me for something -
Linda
Nov 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of Behind Closed Doors by B.A. Paris from NetGalley for an honest review. My thanks to NetGalley, St. Martin's Press, and to B.A. Paris for the opportunity.

"Gaslighting". Flip the switch. Move over Charles Boyer and Ingrid Bergman. This one is lit up and burning bright.

Jack and Grace Angel appear to be in love and so taken with one another. A dinner party showcases Grace's extraordinary culinary fete and highlights Jack's lavish attention upon his wife and their guests. Their p
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I have voted in 2 categories for this book in the 2016 Goodreads awards and with good reason!

You know that couple that looks SO perfect for each other?

The ones that click together in every way when you see them and you feel a jealous twang that you don't have the same thing? Sometimes what you see on the outside can be very deceptive, never ever judge a book by it's cover, always read the fine print in the middle.

Behind Closed Doors is a chilling and atmospheric psychological thriller that I pr
Debbie
5 oh oh oh stars!

Holy moly what a ride!! I HAD to find out what happened, so seriously, I stayed in bed until NOON, with no thoughts of family, friends, or world chaos. Dry eye made the words blurry, but who cares? And food? Is that really necessary? My only necessity was finding out how this story turned out, to get me out of the claustrophobic terror created by a holy-shit psychopath. It was some tense!

This guy Jack is one sick psycho. Just when I think he can’t get any worse, he outdoes hims
Dem
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 Stars

An page turning debut novel but a ridiculously flawed conclusion.

There seems to be a great deal of new releases on the best sellers lists for psychological-thriller style novels about relationships between married couples and they all seem to be readable but quite mediocre and this was among one of three that I downloaded that has fantastic reviews but failed to deliver a satisfying and credible ending.

Everyone knows a couple like Jack and Grace, successful, newly married, devoted t
Kevin Ansbro
Oh, the Russian roulette of having blind faith in a complete stranger’s book recommendation!
“Oh, you’ll love this,” gushed a crocodile-skinned English lady at my Thai resort hotel. “It’s partly set in Thailand and it’s a real page-turner.”

There followed one of the most ridiculous reads I’ve ever had the misfortune to experience. I’m completely baffled by all the five-star reviews for this one-dimensional yawnfest and the contrived storyline has to rank as one of the most implausible of all time.
Melissa
I’m not sure if my expectations were hijacked by the hype or if some of the other thrillers/suspense novels I’ve read this year have set the bar really high, but either way, this didn’t exactly work for me. I’m not saying it was awful or poorly written, it just wasn’t anything I would consider special. It didn’t wow me.

For about the first 100 pages, I was all in. Sitting on the edge of my seat, excited to see how things were going to unfold with Grace and Jack. By all appearances they had the pe
Wendy Darling
Enjoyable, even though the psychological pathology and methodology really don't make any sense. But it's written in a way that keeps the pages turning, even if the plotting and details are a bit loose and the characterization not hugely complex.

I'm a little surprised to see this described as "terrifying" and other such adjectives, though. Maybe I've been too hardened by other thrillers and life to find it that exciting. But I liked the book overall, especially the note on which it ended.
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
(2.5?) There's no way I can review this book without sounding like an asshole but I'll try.

Boring. Unmemorable.

You're following the story of a woman who's in an abusing relationship. Classic bait and switch. As soon as she gets married to him, she realizes he's a monster. However, even if the audiobook narrator did a great job, I just had troubling caring much about her or feeling like she didn't have opportunities to get out of there...

Wasn't for me. Wouldn't recommend.
Andrew Smith
Jan 09, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-finished
The book opens at a dinner party, held at Jack and Grace’s ‘perfect’ house. Jack is a successful lawyer, Grace an ex-buyer for the upmarket Harrods store, in London. The meal has been brilliantly prepared by Grace, though it’s clear she had to expend much more energy than she’d wanted to deliver to Jack’s expected standard. One of the guests is a new acquaintance of Jack’s and his wife is making slightly bitchy comments to Grace and asking her a series of questions about her life and her relatio ...more
Mandy
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
HOLY MACARONI! 4.5 stars! This book, seriously... I was emotionally gripped from page one. I think I could have read it in one sitting but unfortunately, life got in the way of that. It was quite hard to put this book down. I thoroughly enjoyed the back and forth of the way the story went. The author set this story up perfectly and I felt as if I could see it playing out in my mind. THIS SO NEEDS TO BE A MOVIE! It was emotionally gripping and I felt like I could have been psychologically examine ...more
Carol
3.5 Stars. This guy is SICK!

The perfectly plotted lie from movie-star handsome and brilliant lawyer Jack Angel turns Grace's day-to-day life upside down. Disbelief, shock and panic turn her honeymoon to Thailand into a living hell, but its what happens upon their return home that awakened my hatred for this sicko wishing him a long and painful death.

"It was then that I didn't only vow to kill Jack, but to make him suffer as he had made Molly suffer."

After the initial introduction and hasty mar

Maureen
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
* 4.5 Stars*

Jack and Grace have the perfect marriage, right? Well, scratch the veneer a little, and there's something really evil lurking beneath.
Grace is something of a trophy wife for Jack. And as for Jack, I can't really say HOW I feel about him. No, I really CAN'T say how I feel about him, because it would set me off on a rant, and I'd probably give the whole darn plot away! Let's just say that you wouldn't want to be married to him - no way. This is a chilling, claustrophobic, psychological
Kaceey - Traveling Sister
3.5*

Grace has found the man of her dreams. A handsome, wealthy man who adores her. But equally important to Grace, one that will accept her much younger sister Millie who has Down's syndrome. She feels like her ship has finally come in. Could she actually have everything she ever wanted? Well, according to their friends they live the perfect life - but behind those closed doors…. (Oh, darn those closed doors!)

Absolutely frightening! The sheer terror of being held at the mercy of a sadistic madma
Maria Espadinha
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Traiçoeira Perfeição

As portas abrem-se e os convidados entram — ela encanta e ele magnetiza.
São jantares glamorosos que agradam a todos os convivas, que se deixam arrebatar por aquele fabuloso casal, tão requintado, tão carismático, tão perfeito!...

Fecham-se as portas e o pano cai:
De encantadora, ela passa a invisível.
Há telefones que tocam, sem que ninguém os atenda.
E porque haverá grades nas janelas dos quartos?

É a metamorfose do Glamour num suspeito Secretismo!...

Ergue-se o pano e a adulada
Jen
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slam! Yes, because as the saying goes, what one always sees isn't what necessarily goes on behind closed doors. In the case of newlyweds - -18 months new- jack and grace, the epitome of perfection in every way, there seems to be a...catch. As Grace is never without Jack. The irony is he's a high powered lawyer who defends abused women. Yet there are locks and metal shutters on their windows. Grace never leaves without him. Is it paranoia? Or could he himself be the monster he defends?

I found thi
Lisa
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-loved
OMG OMG OMG i just loved Behind Closed Doors by B.A. Paris the moment i started reading this i knew it was to good to be true i immediately felt the fear in Graces eyes when Jack was around but i read on & Kapow here it comes.

Jack & Grace had it all a perfect marriage Grace was the perfect wife a great cook & Millie Graces sister who has Downs Syndrome everything was perfect on the outside but when Jack finally showed his true colours on their honeymoon Jack gets into Graces head her
Gary
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this debut novel by B.A.Paris and would recommend it to fans of psychological thrillers.
The novel is told alternating from past to present and builds up the tension page by page. Jack and Grace have the perfect life and the perfect marriage. Jack is a successful attorney who specialises in cases that involve physically abused women and Grace a professional who gave up her excellent job when she married Jack.
Jack who at first is a true gentleman turns into a controlling and
  • When She Was Bad
  • The Swimming Pool
  • In Too Deep
  • Forget Me Not
  • Between You and Me
  • The Teacher (DS Imogen Grey, #1)
  • Viral
  • The Fire Child
  • The Missing
  • Watching Over You
  • The Sister
B A Paris grew up in England but has spent most of her adult life in France. She has worked both in finance and as a teacher and has five daughters. Behind Closed Doors is her first novel.
“We go downstairs and in the hall, he takes my coat from the cupboard and holds it open while I slip my arms into it. In the drive outside, he holds the car door for me and waits until I’m in. As he closes it behind me, I can’t help thinking it’s a shame he’s such a sadistic bastard, because he has wonderful manners.” 61 likes
“I don't suppose I could have a whiskey instead of the wine, could I?"
"Whiskey?"
"Yes"
"I didn't know you drank whiskey."
"And I didn't know you were a psychopath. Just bring me a whiskey”
46 likes