Start by marking “The Dragon with a Chocolate Heart” as Want to Read:
The Dragon with a Chocolate Heart

The Dragon with a Chocolate Heart

(Tales from the Chocolate Heart #1)

Aventurine is a brave young dragon ready to explore the world outside of her family's mountain cave . . . if only they'd let her leave it. Her family thinks she's too young to fly on her own, but she's determined to prove them wrong by capturing the most dangerous prey of all: a human.

But when that human tricks her into drinking enchanted hot chocolate, she's transformed i
Published May 30th 2017 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens (first published February 9th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon with a Chocolate Heart, please sign up.
Avery Because she is a dragon (fantasy) who get's turned into a human (again, fantasy) and then has to find a way to survive in her new form as well as keep…moreBecause she is a dragon (fantasy) who get's turned into a human (again, fantasy) and then has to find a way to survive in her new form as well as keeping her family pride (epic). I haven't finished yet but I hope she turns into a dragon again which would be (epic)(less)
Hollow She's definitely not too old for it, a wonderful read!…moreShe's definitely not too old for it, a wonderful read!(less)

Start your review of The Dragon with a Chocolate Heart
C.G. Drews
If a book promises (A) dragons, and (B) chocolate -- I ALREADY KNOW I'M GOING TO BE A HUGE FAN. So obviously I absolutely loved it. It was cute and quirky and sassy, with a dash of magic and a whole lump of dragons, and the best middle-grade characters I've read in a loooooong time. Plus chocolate. So. much. chocolate. If you're not sure if chocolate could save a life, read this. It will convince you.

(This book is basically what would happen if Willy Wonka and I co-wrote. #justsayin)

So obviously
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
4.25 stars. Review first posted on Fantasy Literature:

A young, golden-eyed dragon named Aventurine is chafing at the restrictions her family has placed on her: dragons aren’t allowed outside of the caverns until they’re 40 or 50 years old, when their wings are strong enough for flight and their scales have hardened enough to protect them against arrows and swords. Aventurine’s mother encourages her to “find her passion” in studying history, math or philosophy, but Aventurine just wants to go ex
Stephanie
Oct 06, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
My new MG novel! It's out NOW in the US and Canada as well as the UK and Australia. Hurrah! I have been waiting for so long to share this one with you guys.

You can read Chapter One online now: www.stephanieburgis.com/books/the-dra...

And you can buy it from IndieBound: http://www.indiebound.org/book/978168...

Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-d...

Amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Chocola...

Amazon.ca: https://www.amazon.ca/Dragon-Chocolat...

Waterstones: https://www.waterst
Shira Glassman
Wow, this is going to be a great rec for girl-centered YA fantasy. On the page, it's written as having completely no romance, but it has great potential for f/f subtext with at least two different characters -- three if you absolutely push it. (And yes, I mean at the level appropriate to the characters' ages, before someone gets upset that I said that. If you don't like that's where my mind goes because I was that young queer teen at their age, please read a different review. There are plenty of ...more
Zyra
3.5stars
really cute & cozy :)
Jessica
Totally adorable story of a fierce young dragon and her passion for chocolate! I'm just mad that I didn't think of this myself!

I am also going to need to make some hot chocolate from scratch ASAP.
Amber
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: librarybooks
This is a pretty good story about a dragon who after getting her first taste of chocolate which she loves is turned into a human girl and must try to live in the world of humans while wanting to live somewhere she could eat chocolate all the time. Definitely check it out at your local library and wherever books are sold.
Laura Florand
Adorable. It has my two favorite things in it combined into one--a dragon chocolatier. A delicious, fun read with a dash of fiery dragon temper to spice things up. :)
Brandy Painter
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted here at Random Musings of a Bibliophile.

Stephanie Burgis became an auto-buy author for me because I know I can always count on her books to be both well written and the among the best of whatever fantasy angle and age category it falls in. Her newest release, The Dragon with a Chocolate Heart, is a perfect example of this.

Aventurine is a young dragon who has yet to find her passion in life. All dragons have them. Her brother studies philosophy. Her sister is an oh so perfect ep
Ms. Yingling
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ARC provided by publisher at ALA

Aventurine is a young dragon who is bored with being in the family cave and doesn't want to study the way her brother Jasper does. To prove that she can take care of herself, she ventures out and meets a good prospect for dinner... until her dinner turns out to be a food mage who offers her a cup of delicious smelling hot cocoa that turns her into a human girl! Confused and irritated, she heads off down the mountain to the town of Drachenberg with a kindly couple
Kathryn
DNF before due back at the library. The premise is great but I just could not get into it as much as I'd hoped. I got about half way and felt that not enough was happening. The dragon-turned-girl desiring to make chocolate just wasn't enough of a page-turner for me. Also, while I thought it was really neat to imagine a dragon turning into a human (what that would feel and be like, what the human world would look like to a dragon experiencing it) some of it got a tad annoying. For example, this i ...more
Teresa
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
When I saw this book in the shelf in the children's section, it called out to me. The gorgeous cover, the fun description--finally another dragon book to quench my dragon lover thirst.

This book is a super cute read. It's about a dragon named Aventurine who just wants to explore the world outside of her family's cave. But the world is dangerous: it's full of humans who find dragons to be a threat and wish to kill them. When Aventurine has a run-in with a man in the woods, she's frightened, but sh
Y.S. Lee
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this novel! Specifically, I love its bold, flawed, impetuous heroine, Aventurine. I love its gloriously playful humour and adventure. Most of all, I love how Aventurine's dragon sensibilities reveal so much about human behaviour and motivation - the hideous, the good, the indifferent. It's an utter delight. ...more
Mimi 'Pans' Herondale
Amazing!! I love this, such a cute and funny story and I can relate to Aventurine's love for chocolate! ...more
Artemis
Who knew that dragons and chocolate could mix so well together? For an adorable, luxurious, fire-breathing and mouth-watering recipe of a children's book?

Welcome to this generation's 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory'. 'The Dragon with a Chocolate Heart' will make you want to eat every chocolate in every chocolate shop you see. It is inspirational, imaginative, clever and joyous. There is a pinch of 'Oliver Twist' to it as well, with its "outcast-on-the-streets-guided-by-poor-rascally-urchins"
Carolyn
Aug 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
I didn't like this at all. I had it shelved as a "really excited for" and boy was that a mistake. There was no real bad guy, and the twelve year old spoke with MUCH higher intelligence than she should have. At less than 250 pages I struggled to finish, wanting to quit when I had 100 pages left.

Aventurine wasn't likeable at all; she was moody and pissy and not a character to look up to or learn anything from. The setting was confusing, and there was no real backstory to the dragons or the so-cal
Jenn
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aventurine is my kind of hero -- hot-tempered and passionate, brave and sometimes foolhardy. I was rooting for her on page one, even before the chocolate came into the picture. But oh, the chocolate! At one point I had to put the book down while I was reading it (a mighty sacrifice) and make myself a cup of hot cocoa. I love all the behind-the-scenes details of the chocolate shop and the great group of characters that form the created family at the center of this book. (Silke is just amazing!) T ...more
Bardha
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just read this entire book without going to sleep and I have no regrets.
The Librarian Witch
An adorably delicious feast of a book!

- Dragons
- Magic
- Friendship
- CHOCOLATE

What else could you possibly want in a book???

The story follows Aventurine - a very independent and capable dragon, thank you very much! - as she sneaks out for a bit of an adventure and accidentally gets herself turned into a human.
This unexpected twist to her adventure takes us into the nearby city where we meet a whole host of wonderful characters and spend time in the most wonderful of chocolate houses!

WARNING:
St
Sand-Witch
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beth
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I like this a lot. I don't have a lot to say, because this skews young and doesn't have a lot to dissect in terms of theme. Still - despite how original the plot specifics are, this feels familiar and comforting. There's a great, light tone, the world is very small, and the number of characters are kept to a minimum. This isn't a dense story at all; it's a quick, deftly-plotted one.

Which means, because of the slim story, that some plot points feel a little bit like shortcuts - and yet the storyt
Jess
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderfully delicious read that leaves you wanting another taste!
Mathew
I must admit that, having bought this as part of the Shrewsbury Bookfest shortlist, I wasn't drawn to the idea but within the first paragraph I was in. The main protagonist is a wonderful creation, a dragon turned into a little girl. She must learn, the hard way who she wants to be in her life yet her headstrong and fierce temper (as well as her loyalty to those she cares about) is utterly endearing and something to celebrate. Burgis writes very well and her pace and character are just wonderful ...more
Allison Parker
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile, fantasy
PERFECT juvenile fantasy novel. Sweet and a little fiery, just like Aventurine's chili-infused chocolate. ...more
アリシア
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. Not only did it have chocolate —which I absolutely ,whole heartedly love — but it also had endearing characters and DRAGONS. From the moment I picked this book up ,Stephenie Burgis pulled me in with her words . Her writing style flows, and just makes this book easy and fun to read . I enjoyed every moment of it .

Let me just start off and say that this book made me crave chocolate every other minute when I was reading it . Any time that chocolate got mentioned and became the
Sophie
Aw, this story is so much cuter and more fabulous than I remembered it. Months and months ago my littlest sister (7yrs old) started this book and she wasn't loving it. But when occasionally I was reading her bedtime story, I'd pick it up and read some out loud. I don't remember exactly when, but at some point in the second half this story finally clicked with her and this last week we finished it up on her request. She's been poorly and this book is such a warm, comforting read. "The chocolate s ...more
Georgia Erwin
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy mackerel! I left this book feeling just...so very very happy. So very in need of chocolate. And with an urgent desire to give a copy to everybody I know who might enjoy it!
Burgis does several things that are difficult to pull off, and I really admire the way she wove a story that's not only funny as hell, descriptive, and delicious, but also makes you feel like you've read a book that has something to say. I feel like so many novels--kid's, YA, adult, la la--can charm the pants off of you.
Miss Clark
katayoun Masoodi
i loved this and this fierce little dragon. loved the adventure, the growing up and learning and friendship. loved the writing, could so see the city and the streets and aventurine running in them. would love to see more adventures of this crew.
Christina Farley
Such a cute story. Plus it's filled with chocolate! Recommended this one! ...more

• The Titanic (Survival Tails #1)
  • Ben Franklin's in My Bathroom! (History Pals, #1)
  • Sled Dog School
  • Ghost Attack (Monster Itch #1)
  • EngiNerds
  • The Ambrose Deception
  • Stella Díaz Has Something to Say
  • Wedgie & Gizmo
  • Nooks & Crannies
  • Attack of the Not-So-Virtual Monsters (Gamer Squad #1)
  • The Unicorn in the Barn
  • Beatrice Zinker, Upside Down Thinker
  • Bob
I grew up in America, but now I live in Wales with my husband, fellow writer Patrick Samphire, our sons, "Mr Darcy" and "Mr X", and our sweet (and extremely vocal) tabby cat, Pebbles. I write fun, funny MG fantasy novels (most recently The Princess who Flew with Dragons) and wildly romantic adult historical fantasy novels and novellas (most recently Moontangled).

To get early sneak peeks at new sto

Tales from the Chocolate Heart (3 books)
  • The Girl with the Dragon Heart (Tales from the Chocolate Heart, #2)
  • The Princess who Flew with Dragons (Tales from the Chocolate Heart, #3)

News & Interviews