Start by marking “Song of the Current (Song of the Current #1)” as Want to Read:
Song of the Current (Song of the Current #1)

Song of the Current (Song of the Current #1)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  2,222 Ratings  ·  577 Reviews
Caroline Oresteia is destined for the river. For generations, her family has been called by the river god, who has guided their wherries on countless voyages throughout the Riverlands. At seventeen, Caro has spent years listening to the water, ready to meet her fate. But the river god hasn’t spoken her name yet—and if he hasn’t by now, there’s a chance he never will.

Caro d
Published June 6th 2017 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Song of the Current, please sign up.
Ally Watkins Overall, yes. Peppered with swear words here and there, and a these-characters-are-definitely-going-to-have-sex-now scene at the end that ends before…moreOverall, yes. Peppered with swear words here and there, and a these-characters-are-definitely-going-to-have-sex-now scene at the end that ends before anything graphic happens.(less)

C.G. Drews
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book absolutely blew me out of the water with it's epicness! And I hope you PAUSED FOR A SECOND to view the flawless grace of that terrific pun right there. Because its'a bout ships and water?? GET IT?? *smothers self for terrible pun* MOVING FORWARD! I'm always on the look out for delicious pirate books, and this doesn't disappoint! Also add in a dash of love/hate romance, smuggling, dark power that doth not sleep, badass female captains, personified water gods, a smol mention of a water d ...more
Chelsea Humphrey
Apr 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to Chelsea by: Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
I can see now why many folks are having a tough time rating this one. On the one hand, it was fun, enjoyable, and entertaining, but on the other it was filled with the heavy fodder of sailor lingo and descriptions of scenes that were slow and lacking action. Overall, this one won me over; by the end, I felt invested in the story and am so ecstatic that, as the first in a series, it doesn't leave us with a giant cliffhanger that we'll likely forget by the time book #2 in the series is released.

T
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I love YA fantasy. I don't know why, I just do. That being said, in recent years, I've become a bit gun-shy, preferring to rerereread old favorites rather than taking a chance on a new author.

I guess I should say I love good YA fantasy.

And sadly, these days, most of it is crap: instalove, cliches, poor world-building, plot holes, deus ex machina, etc. Any or all are likely present in 90% of new series.

Or maybe I've been unlucky in my reading choices. *shrugs awk
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Man this is a tough one. I adored the story and there was so much potential, but the writing was so difficult to wade through that the plot was a bit lost on me.

The first 10% or so was very meh - so much sailor lingo and I honestly had no clue what was going on for the first several pages. For those of you who would rather know what is going on at first... Caro is sailing with her father on her wherry (which is basically their home- they live on the river) and when they arrive at Hespera's Watc
Cait • A Page with a View
This one's hard to rate because I LOVE ships and finding female characters who go off on pirate adventures. And there were a ton of elements of this world that I loved, like the shadowmen, hints of magic, and harbor towns. But it was still kind of hard for me to get into the overall story.

Caroline's father is arrested for smuggling, so she signs a contract with the soldiers saying she'll transport a box for them in exchange for her father's eventual freedom. Caro's ancestors were all badass smug
Heather 'Bookables'
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
3 1/2

Overall a solid & very interesting fantasy read!
Dannii Elle
My full review can be found at United by Pop.

What immediately struck me, when reading this, was the elegant style of the prose. The dexterity of penmanship and the beautiful quotability of almost every line marked this as a stimulating read before I had even been introduced to the characters or understood the story. The prose was as melodic as the water so prominently featured, and a wonderful parallel was evoked between the telling and setting of the tale.

The culture of these fantastical people
Scrill
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya, romance
More reviews can be found at:

In an attempt to keep her dad out of jail, Caro a wherry(wo)man, must transport a crate and deliver it to Valonikos. Unfortunately, it isn’t just any crate, and there are pirates searching the rivers for it. Caro must rely on her friends and her own skill to complete her task – all the while hoping the god of the river will finally call out to her like all the other good wherryman have been called.

The Story-I love me a pirate story. This is my second one this year,
Caitlin
dnf @ page 126

Well this sucked. I have no idea why I had high hopes for this book since it was terribly boring. I'm stumped with assignments at the moment so my free reading time really needs to be spent with a book I enjoy and right now I'm hating this book. I've been skim reading for maybe 5 pages already and I'm not even half way yet. If I continued skimming it would be an utter waste of my time. So, I give up. This book is too slow. It's too boring. Also nothing really makes sense in it. It'
Sana
Jul 16, 2018 marked it as to-read
okay what the heck this has pirates???? bitch,,,,, I'm IN

also the books insides are so gorgeous omg
Stacee
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it
3 stars might be too high...

I had seen a lot of buzz around this book and I was pretty excited to finally get to it. Sadly, I was a bit disappointed.

I liked Caro well enough. She's strong and sassy and can take care of herself. There is an interesting group of characters here and I don't want to say anything and ruin the perception of them. I will say that the banter between Caro and one person in particular was amusing and most of the reason I kept reading.

Plotwise, it felt like a lot of thin
Suzanne
I just cannot rate this! I have no idea how I would even decide the star of this book. When I read other reviewers saying it is hard to rate, I was like hmmm. Now I understand. The idea of the plot is very compelling but during some of the story I was like WTH, am I lost or not comprehending this story! It was not a bad book at all but the writing threw me. I have read a lot of five star books lately so that probably did not help going into this read.

Gillian Berry
SO I TOTALLY COMPLETELY FULLY ENJOYED THAT. It's far tooearly for a full review, but I was in a mini slump and this just swooped in and saved me with its pirates and riverboats and bickering and fiesty-ness and fun-ness. That was just a good old fashioned GREAT FUN READ.
Lisa
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, macmillan, arc
This book has everything I love: quests, mystery, emotional journeys, romance and kicking butt action. This is the pirate book to read this year!
Sarah Tolcser
Sep 21, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: people who like swashbuckling & competent non-royal girl heroes
Just FYI there's a sailing terms glossary (with pictures, even!) on my website:

Check it out
mith
you can read this review on my blog as well!

Song of the Current was a book I didn't know I needed in my life until I read it. Considering it has been a while since I've read it, bear with me while I still try to comprehend my thoughts for it.

The book itself was sort of a unique concept for me. I haven't come across another one like it. It's not necessarily a pirate book--the main character, Caroline, and her father carry cargo for other people, making the trip from one city to another. It's whe
Rachel E. Carter
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-buy-paperback
Unique. Charming. Atmospheric. I'll admit it took me about 35-40% to be drawn into this one, but I'm so glad I stuck with it. I've never read another book like this. I loved how feisty the main character was and how the romance developed (and especially how it was treated in the end which gave me strong girl power Alanna-George of *Song of the Lioness* feels and is SO rare in YA).
Andie
Probably 2.5 stars

This book was really just okay for me. There were some elements that I loved and found really intriguing. But I have to admit that the majority of the time I was bored or wasn't sure what the heck was going on as the lingo was a bit confusing for me. I'll have to come back later and write a proper review once my thoughts are in order.
Eilonwy
17-year-old Caroline Oresteia has spent her life on her father’s wherry, carrying cargo up and down the rivers that cut through their country. She’s happy being a deck hand. Then her father is arrested, and Caro makes a desperate deal to smuggle a mysterious crate in order to make enough cash to pay for his release. Is she ready to captain her own boat? And can she make it to her destination while evading the Black Dogs -- pirates who wish to take her cargo for their own nefarious purposes?
I rea
Miranda (MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It)
Song of the Current was such a surprisingly delightful read. This book pulled me in right from the beginning, and I didn't want to put the book down! There were some slower portions of this book, but it was entertaining as a whole.

There were so many fun elements to this story. The Song of the Current had pirates, humor, flirty banter, action, adventure, mythology, and some fantastic kissing scenes. Some parts of the book felt a little slow, but the author would then introduce something fun and
Anya
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Seriously, wow. River gods and female pirates, sorry privateers, and hate to love romance that worked SO WELL. And enthusiastically consensual teen sex (fade to black) where the guy keeps checking as things get going! And a world where women are still at a disadvantage but several women don't let that stop them including Caro's mom! Oh and Caro is a red head with dark skin and tightly curled hair who is repeatedly shown she is beautiful and deserves to be cherished. Omg!!!!!!!!! Also drakon ...more
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Caro & her father make a living as wherrymen and occasional smugglers. Through a series of unfortunate events, captaincy is thrust upon Caroline Oresteia together with a mission of utmost importance and very specific requirements. If she fulfills these requirements, her father, currently held captive by the same people who need the crate delivered, will be freed. That's it. She is given no more information. Take it or leave it...

Caroline signs the contract.

The requirements:
- Deliver a enigma
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: otps-feels, pirates
“Magic doesn't make a man evil,” he said. “It's just a skill. It isn't inherently good or bad. It's what's in his heart that makes him evil, the same as anyone else.”

I swear I'm a sucker for a good pirate/privateer story

Now be warned, this book isn't a non-stop action-action packed adventure. While it certainly has it's intense, suspenseful moments. This book is as the title might imply, a steady current.

Caro (our main protagonist):
I think what I like the most about Caro is that she's got a
Laurie
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Get ready for 2017s best YA fantasy sailing adventure! SONG OF THE CURRENT is the story of how bold 17 y.o. Caro becomes captain of her very own pirate ship. Author Tolcser spent years as a sailing instructor and her infectious love of all things nautical absolutely sparkles off these pages. I had all sorts of fun being whisked along into her fantasy world with clever, likeable Cara and a colorful cast of characters that includes Caro’s seamerchant mother and wherryman father (who hilariously ar ...more
Beatrice (beatriceinbookland)
DNF @19%

I just can't do it.
I enjoyed the first two chapters but after that I was just bored out of my mind and I really don't want to force myself to read the next 300 + pages

byeee
Jessica
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, youngadult, fantasy
Swashbuckling pirate adventure with loads of political intrigue AND magic. Fun book for fans of True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle and Celia Rees' Pirates! but who like unique magic systems as well!
Holly
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
5 stars ✨ because this was a fun book!!
Rachael (RedRchlReads)
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads, fantasy
4 Stars!

Song of the Current is one of those books that completely took me by surprise. It was recommended to me, quite forcefully might I add, by one of my bookstagram besties. Even though our reading tastes only have a smallish area of overlap, I decided to give it a go anyway and am so glad I did. Of course, it has been almost a year since I first read this, so take my review with a grain of salt since it's obviously not quite fresh in my mind anymore.

This story has everything that makes up a
Bitchin' Reads
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I honestly think I may have to amend my favorite YA fantasy to this book from Cora Carmack's Roar. 'Awesome' doesn't even begin to describe it...

Think Pirates of the Caribbean meets The Oracle Betrayed with a touch of Egyptian/Greek feels. Seriously. So goddamn good.

I consumed this so quickly! Like 50 pages yesterday and the rest today! It is so magical!

Real review to come. :)
The Captain
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Ahoy there me mateys! This be the sea tale of Caroline Oresteia, a lass who wants nothing more then to sail the river on the Cormorant with her father and their crewmember Fee. She longs for the day when the river god will finally speak to her and looks towards the future of inheriting the wherry from her father someday. But it seems fate might have other plans. Her father is jailed on trumped up charges. He can be freed if Caroline agrees to transport a crate to its final destination. But curio ...more

Song of the Current (2 books)
  • Whisper of the Tide (Song of the Current, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
“Something inside all of us is always calling out to the world...That's what magic is. When something in the world calls back.” 14 likes
“Magic doesn't make a man evil,' he said. 'It's just a skill. It isn't inherently good or bad. It's what's in his heart that makes him evil, the same as anyone else.” 10 likes