Start by marking “The Possible” as Want to Read:
The Possible

The Possible

Some storms rage from within.

What if…a teenage girl could move objects with her mind?

What if…someone turns up at her door asking questions she doesn’t want to answer?

Kaylee lives a normal life with her adoptive parents, and almost never thinks of her birth mother, Crystal, who is serving a life sentence in prison. But the woman at the front door is producing a podcast
Published June 6th 2017 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens (first published June 1st 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Possible, please sign up.
Ellen It was a closed ending, so I don’t think so.

Start your review of The Possible
Dannii Elle
My full review can be found at United by Pop.

I adore novels that seem to about one particular thing, but are instead concerned with a wider social topic. This is exactly what Tara Alterbrando does here. The subject of Kaylee's mother's telekinesis invites the reader to explore society's treatment of the other and the witch-hunt that dogs females who dare to be anything other than the image of the accepted.

Both Kaylee and her mother, during their teen years, struggled to be accepted and both
Stacee
I had read The Leaving and really enjoyed it, so I was pretty excited about this book.

I struggled with Kaylee right away. She's bratty and self-centered and kind of a jerk to her friends. She gets obsessed with the podcast idea and in allowing that to take over her life, she doesn't realize how she's treating people. I'm 100% on board with this attitude if there's some growth; however, by the end of the book, it didn't feel like anything had really changed. It was hard to root for her.

Plot
Cillian
Feb 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: unstable, for-the-nook, ya
I don't need to see every cover that'll come out until the year 2027 to affirm this is by far the best cover in the next 2 decades.

I'm so in love with it; the detail, the idea, the imagination, all of it. Bonus: I'm also in love with the title and the author's last name. Don't ask me why, I just love "Altebrando."
Paula  Phillips
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it

All Kaylee's life strange things have happened that have been shaken off as nothing but mere coincidences. Now at seventeen, Kaylee is about to learn that she is not only adopted but that her real mother Crystal is currently up for parole as she was sentenced to life in prison for murdering her baby son. Kaylee was four when this happened, and it turns out that she testified against her mother and was one of the key witnesses. Enter Liane; she is making a podcast about Crystal's life as she was
rachel ☾
Sep 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: contemporary, 1-star
The Possible was a hot mess. After Altebrando’s previous book, I expected this to be a dramatic improvement but it was not. In fact, I disliked this one a whole lot more than The Leaving. I wish I could say there was a single redeemable aspect to this story but I did not enjoy a moment of it. It was simply horrendous. The plot was all over the place. The premise was there but its execution was severely lacking. I am not sure whether this was meant to be a thriller, magical realism or what. The ...more
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Does she or doesn’t she?
When Liane, a reporter, asks Kaylee if she has telekinetic powers like her biological mother, she doesn’t answer. Liane wants the teenager to participate in a podcast reexamining the death of her toddler brother. Crystal, Kaylee’s birth mom, who has always maintained her innocence, is in prison for his murder. Who is Kaylee, really? The softball star or something much darker.

Tara Altebrando has become a favorite of mine, for the pure joy I experience reading her books.
Sara
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, contemporary
A page-turner of a story that keeps the reader wondering - along with the characters - whether or not this book should be classified as regular contemporary YA or as a tale of the paranormal. With references to Carrie, Matilda, and Eleven from Stranger Things, the book asks the questions: Is telekineses real? And if it is, what happens to young girls with those powers when they grow up?

Our main character is Kaylee, a high school junior and star softball pitcher who seems like she literally can’t
Kaitlyn Davis
I enjoyed this book! The mystery drew me in and kept me turning the pages :) I wavered back and forth from believer to non-believer, which I think was the point, and the constant guessing and theorizing made the book really interesting! Such a unique premise for a book that was super unlike anything else I've read! The characters didn't really draw me in and the romance confused me a bit (seemed to come from nowhere), but I was drawn into the plot and the intrigue and enjoyed being surprised by ...more
Gabby
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars!
Melanie McFarlane
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was the perfect YA mystery. With quick-pacing like We Were Liars & an edge of paranormal, that reminded me of the first half of The Graces, Altebrando has impressed me again. You will be drawn into Kaylee's world as it spirals out of control.
Aimee
I received a copy of The Possible from Bloomsbury Australia to review.

I wasn’t too sure what to expect when I started this book. I kind of went into it thinking this telekinesis stuff was all crap. But then I thought what if this is like Matilda? Because anything in fiction is possible. So I decided to keep an open mind.

It took me a while to get used to how this story was told. Like, Kaylee’s memories would sometimes interrupt whatever was happening in the moment. It was kind of annoying at the
Raul
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tara Altebrando is becoming one of my favorite YA mystery writers. This story had me hooked from the begining. Even though I disliked the main character, I loved the premise and how I was constantly questioning reality and fiction until the very end.
Sharon
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars! For anyone who has seen the horror movie Carrie, the idea that someone can manipulate matter with the mind is, frankly, mind boggling.

In The Possible, Kaylee is quite intrigued when she discovers her birth mother Crystal not only killed Kaylee’s younger brother when Kaylee was four, but was also once a famous teen for her telekinetic abilities. Now in jail, Crystal continues to plead innocent to the murder charges.

When a local podcast host wants to interview Crystal and Kaylee, the
The Blonde Bookworm
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it
The plot and the cover of The Possible initially caught my eye and I immediately jumped in when my copy arrived in the mail. It was a quick and easy read, but even though I really enjoyed the story the writing seemed a little too simple in the beginning. The characters were a little cliche, and the main character was slightly untrustworthy as a narrator. Initially, it was a little dull for me, but I soon became totally engrossed in the world Altebrando created and finished the novel in one ...more
Caitlin Smith
I read this book on a complete whim and I have to admit, it’s nothing memorably unfortunately.

When Kaylee is approached by a woman creating a podcast on her estranged mother, Kaylee past is blow wide open, leaving her with more questions than she has answers.

Our main character is Kaylee, who I found to be insufferable! She’s bratty and self-obsessed, on multiple occasions using her friends to benefit herself or becoming suspicious of them for no reason. She’s a bad friend, period. She also has
Kristin
Jun 09, 2017 marked it as dnf
Shelves: netgalley
DNF at 17%

I had a difficult time connecting with the main protagonist, Kaylee, in this story. So much so that I just couldn't go further than 17% into the story. Granted, this isn't a long book. But when Kaylee never once considered any of the advice given to her, nor did she once think of anyone else but herself, I was done. And typically, I have absolutely NO problem reading teen stories and relating to the immature emotions and angst. I sometimes go looking for it just to relive my fun teen
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I will need to reread the finished copy considering how chopped up this eARC was. the book had a lot of potential to be great but I just didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped. review to come
angharad mair
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Olivia
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was kind of disappointing. I was expecting a lot more of it, especially since it had been on my to-read-list since it came out, but I hadn’t been able to find it since. For starters, the book was definitely not the genre I had connected the description to. The format of writing was also a little odd. I suppose it made viewing text conversations and visualizing certain papers easier, but it just wasn’t my style. The book took a much different turn than I anticipated: for better or worse ...more
Michelle
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Woah. This was adrenaline pumping! It was that good! Kaylee lives with her adopted mother and father, living an ordinary life, studying, hanging out with friends... Obsessing over a boy she barely knows. [eye roll]
One day, she's visited by a reporter working on a podcast: The Possible.
The reporter is investigating the case of Kaylee's biological mother, Crystal.
Very tense, as Crystal was sentenced to prison for life after murdering Kaylee's brother when she was younger.
There was a suspicion
⠀annie⠀✧*ೃ༄
real rating: 3.5

disclaimer: i finished this last night so these are the thoughts that i have been sitting with.

this was a decent story but it didn’t really do it for me.

based on the description, i guess that the plot was going to take me somewhere else. i’m not mad that it didn’t, it was just more childish than i thought.

there’s no question we had character development, however, kaylee remained the same for the majority of this. the person she was before was stuck up and almost hateful. it
Susan Angela Wallace
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Possible by Tara Altebrando.
What if ... no one knows the truth about you?

It's been thirteen years since Kaylee's infamous birth mother, Crystal, received a life sentence for killing Kaylee's little brother in a fit of rage. Once the centre of a cult-following for her apparent telekinetic powers, nowadays nobody's heard of Crystal.
This was a good read with good characters. Little slow. 4*. Netgalley and Bloomsbury publishing plc.
Taylor
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book was okay. Super quick read that was interesting enough but not really super gripping to me. For a thriller, a lot was predictable and it was pretty trope-y.

July 6th Update:
I changed this to two stars because the more I was thinking about it the less I liked this book. It was a fine read but none of the characters were flushed out and it just felt so flat.
Woff
Nov 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: powers
At first I really didn’t care for MC, but then her unappealing traits started making sense, and there was a point I thought ‘oooh, maybe this will be really good!’ but then the plot turned the wrong way for my liking.
Addielee Gilfillan
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is about a teenager named Kaylee who has telekinetic powers, but, she hasn't figured it out yet she can control things with her mind. Her birth mother is serving a life in prison. I definitely recommend this book it is full of thrills and excitement.
Kat
10 stars!!! Loved the writing style
Emma
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: from-publisher
"What if life was all about letting go?"

Kaylee doesn't remember much from when she was really young. She knows her biological mother is in jail but the details of her arrest for killing Kaylee's brother and the trial are memories from another life.

Kaylee is happy now with her adoptive parents and her perfectly normal life. She's a rising star on the school softball team and she is working on a plan to attract the attentions of her longtime crush. Simple.

Until a woman shows up at Kaylee's house
Pablo V
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Katie Angus
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is an enjoyable if not predictable story. I struggled to put it down and blitzed through it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• What We Buried
  • The Missing Season
  • Such a Good Girl
  • I Do Not Trust You
  • Fataal spel
  • Glow
  • Nearly Found (Nearly Gone, #2)
  • Dit is hoe het ging
  • Liberty: The Spy Who (Kind of) Liked Me
  • Scar (Skin Books, #3)
  • When We Were Lost
  • The Loop
Tara Altebrando is the author of numerous books for young adult and middle-grade readers. Her upcoming book, THE LEAVING (Bloomsbury), is a YA thriller that received a starred PW review and is a Junior Library Guild selection. Her other YA novels include ROOMIES, coauthored with Sara Zarr; Dreamland Social Club (A Kirkus Reviews Best Books for Teens), The Best Night of (Your) Pathetic Life, What ...more
“Her hair was a dried-out cornfield and her skin a worn leather handbag. She had resting bitch face, so I knew where I’d gotten it from.” 0 likes
“I itched to have my phone in my hands so I could . . . I didn’t even know what. I wanted distraction. I wanted a Hermione Time-Turner. I” 0 likes