Start by marking “Poison” as Want to Read:

Poison

Poison is a literary psychological thriller about a marriage that follows minor betrayal into a bubbling stew of lies, cruelty, manipulation, and danger.

Cass and Ryan Connor have achieved family nirvana. With three kids between them, a cat and a yard, a home they built and feathered, they seem to have the Modern Family dream. Their family, including Cass' two children from
Published November 21st 2017 by St. Martin's Press

Deanna
Nov 24, 2017 rated it liked it
2.75

My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

“Something delicious simmers on the stove. The dishwasher murmurs. Laundry circles. The daily rotation of domestic life rolls on, as with any perfect machine, until a circuit breaks and the machine ceases to function.”

Cass and Ryan Connor are living the dream. A wonderful marriage and a happy life with their three children. Cass has two children from a previous marriage and she and Ryan have a two-year old child togeth
Linda
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Paranoia strikes deep.

Cass Connor is a mother of three lively children and a professor in the Journalism Department of the University of Washington. Juggling the high points of her day is quite the challenge. She and her husband, Ryan, have been married for three years and have taken residence just outside of Seattle. These former New Yorkers are trying to establish new roots.

Cass still carries the grief of losing her first husband, Jason. But life with Ryan is a fresh start in the right directi
Carol
POISON.....a perfect title!

But perfect family.....not by a long shot. At first glance, all seems well with the Connor's and their three children...new city, great jobs, even a new house, but it doesn't take long for lies and mind games to begin....it is then that life turns scary and more dangerous with each passing day.

CAREFUL who you trust. BEWARE of every action. Some are truly frightening....and lethal. (gave me the creeps!)

Overall, I was totally engaged in the story, but had a few issues wi

Carrie
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
When Cass was left on her on raising her two young children she thought the dream of a perfect family life with a loving husband was quite out of her reach, that is until she met Ryan. Ryan was unlike other men that Cass had known when he didn't run away from the mere thought of her young children and instead proposed marriage and having more of their own someday. The two came together and formed the perfect little family and eventually did have a third baby added to their lives.

After their fam
Carol (Bookaria)
Cass and Ryan have been married for three years and have recently moved to Seattle. This is Cass' second marriage after her first husband died. She has two children from her first union and a third with Ryan.

All is marital bliss until Cass starts to suspect that Ryan is being unfaithful. Late-night texts, suspicious hairs and other clues are driving her to these conclusions. Ryan dismisses his wife's accusations because, after all, Cass has always been a bit paranoid.

One night when Cass is being
Liz
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
I had trouble getting into this book. There is some beautiful writing, as in lovely phrasing, but the plot was clunky. Cass has the perfect marriage and family life, along with a satisfying career as a journalism professor at U-Dub. As the author tries to paint a portrait of their family life, I quickly became bored. In fact, the description of Ryan and Cass’s initial romance read like a bad romance novel. I had to convince myself to keep reading. I could tell what the author was trying to do, s ...more
Holly  B
3.5 star

A fairytale life complete with an adoring husband, Ryan and 3 young kids. They both were previously married and they have one child together, Sam. Cass is a forgiving wife, but begins to suspect an affair and other inconsistencies are piling up.

I really enjoyed how the author described Ryan, giving me a feel for his creepiness and freakiness! Cass' mom never liked Ryan. Cass returned home one day and found that Ryan had "hacked the room demolishing it with a hammer." Ryan would frequen
Sarah Joint
Nov 20, 2017 rated it liked it
At its best, it's unnerving, raw, and powerful. At its worst, it is a bit overwritten and drags. I could feel my interest waning when I was reading on occasion. More dialogue and less extremely descriptive narrative would have been better for me. It is undoubtedly unique and unsettling, however. While much of the narrative was necessary in order for the reader to place themselves in the shoes of the main character, it could have been cut back a bit. I enjoyed some of the feminist undertones and ...more
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it

A whirlwind romance opposed by her mother, a marriage made in heaven, and a move across the country. Was the move part of Ryan’s plan to have no family around for Cass?

A second chance with a man that she never dreamed would come into her life after her husband died was what Cass needed, and Ryan fit the bill.

Everything was perfect wasn't it? A perfect marriage, three perfect kids, and a loving relationship until..…

The Connor family looked perfect on the outside, but the Connors were not perfect
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

2.75 Stars

I am not sure if the main characters names changed before or after I received this ARC, but in the version I read, Cass and Ryan Connor were the names of the main characters. This book wasn’t initially on my radar, but I picked it up after it was recommended to me.

While I really enjoyed the overarching plotline, the writing was too descriptive and there was not enough dialog. The plot was a little cumbersome and there
Debra
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Cass met Ryan after the death or her first husband. Her Mother never liked Ryan but Cass was in love and wanted a second chance at happiness. After they were married, Cass and Ryan moved with her two young children to Portland to start a new life for their family. Soon they have a child of their own to complete their family. Cass and Ryan seem like the perfect couple and Cass appears to be happy until she starts to notice little things that are off. First lies, then angry denials, omission of th ...more
Theresa Alan
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
This story of a woman married to her second husband after her first has died takes a long time to get going. Almost the entire first fifth of the novel is the author telling us the backstory of Cass and Ryan. Cass has a ten-year-old and a seven-year-old from her first marriage. Sam is the two-year-old she had with Ryan.

Once the story actually starts, the pace picks up dramatically. Cass suspects that Ryan is cheating on her. Then she suspects that he’s poisoning her, but poison is a tricky thin
☮Karen
Now, that's a good ending. Quick, clean, and an I told you so.

Loved the title's multiple implications, the relationship gone bad, the suspicions all around, substances with multiple uses and purposes. I read this not trusting one single character. Is Ryan trying to poison his wife Cass, or is she paranoid, delusional, and in need of psychological care?

Liked less the writing in present tense, which seemed awkward to me and at times too much in the way of explanation. But overall, an exciting and
Lily (Night Owl Book Cafe)
Nov 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
Cass and Ryan Connor seem like a happy family on the outside. They have three children, two from Cass’ previous marriage and one between them. They have moved to Portland, have stable jobs, and a lovely family home. But the perfect marriage turns into a nightmare when Cass starts to discover that her husband had started to lie daily to her omissions and white lies that turn into a series of denials and threats. Soon Cass is in trouble as she goes up against her husband, who seemed like a loving ...more
Judy Collins
From the author of The Romantics, the Indie director-producer Galt Niederhoffer’s slow-burning highly anticipated and riveting high-stakes psychological domestic thriller, POISON centers around a seemingly perfect marriage that turns deadly, when journalist, Cass Connor begins to suspect her dazzling architect husband, Ryan is trying to kill her.

C H I L L I N G !

Similar to Gaslight, the popular noir film; and even more shocking— inspired by the author’s own personal nightmare (very intriguin
Irene
Aug 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the first half of this book. Cass presented as a strong and intelligent woman who had faced some tragedy in her life but been able to move on. She had little to no emotional support from either of her parents yet still grew into a compassionate and capable woman and mother.

The problems in her marriage, although supposedly subtle at first seemed glaringly obvious to me. There was a lack of respect from her husband that to me seemed apparent from the start. He gave off a general f
Mary
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for my review.

Wow. This book had me hooked. When Cass' husband Ryan tells her he is going to kill her, he means it. And the journey is completely terrifying. Very well written, if a bit too wordy in spots. I couldn't put it down til I got to the ending. I really enjoyed it!
Patrice Hoffman
Nov 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Where to begin with my review of Galt Niederhoffer's Poison? I guess the beginning. After reading the blurb on the back I decided to ask the Netgalley gods for a review copy. Once approved, I kinda shelved it for a while because work and classes just really take so much out of me that reading is the last thing I want to do after waking at 6 then going nonstop until 12 midnight. Any who... I picked this poison and was surprisingly happy with it.

Cass and Ryan have a seemingly happy life together,
Lisa
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, kindle, netgalley
POISON is a compelling story of one woman's maddening struggle to be believed.

SUMMARY
Cass and Ryan Conner have a happy marriage and lovely family. They have three wonderful kids, a nice home and both have successful careers. But in the blink of an eye something changes. The betrayal and lies begin, the defenses go up, accusations are levied. The disagreements start small and then they mushroom. The happy marriage falls apart and suddenly it becomes a matter of life or death.

“She feels the power
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
Are you the type of woman that looks the other way when something seems amiss? Is your husband or boyfriend cheating but the consequences of confronting him are worse than the gains you get from staying? What if that confrontation leads to something more sinister? How far do you go to protect yourself and your children?

I'm a bit confused why the Kindle Edition blurb says Abigail and Benjamin when the wife and husband's names are Cass and Ryan... In any case, this is a slow burn thriller where ag
AnisaAnne
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lisa
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I have no idea what to rate this book so I'll just give it a 3.

This book was maddening. I had to listen to it cranked up to warp speed because it made me so uncomfortable that I just had to get through it as fast as I could. I was yelling at my blue tooth speaker. This main character, Cass, was infuriating. Everything she did made me lose it. And the ending!!! AAAAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!! I was a complete hostage to this book. I never cleaned my house with such speed or aggression before. It probably d
Judy
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great psychological thriller! Carrie, a single mother with two children, marries Ryan and thinks life is perfect. Everything is perfect for this family - and then, Carrie suspects she may be being poisoned. Things get scary; she is really sick. She is suspicous of her husband, but she loves him. What is happening?

This book keeps your attention, but some of it is hard to swallow. Why would a mother, who suspects she is being poisoned at home, not get her children out of that environment? The book
Cindy
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm giving 3.5 stars to this Goodreads won. This story was definitely poisonous and toxic. A perfect family, perfect children, beautiful wife and handsome husband. All this comes tumbling down when Cass questions her marriage and sanity. The story may be a little far fetched but maybe not. Lies take over truth and a male's perspective overpowers a woman's pleas for help. A very aggravating but enticing plot. Might have been 4 stars but I thought the ending was a bit rushed. This is the 3rd psych ...more
Leslie
I was sent this from Netgalley. I'm not finishing. I don't know if it was the book or me but I really couldn't keep going with it. It was taking far too long for any developments. I have a feeling that it's one of those slow burn type suspense books and that, had I stuck with it, I may have ended up enjoying. I suppose I'm just not in the right mood.
Dianne
They had the “perfect” life. Cass and Ryan were successful, had three beautiful children, two incomes and a home that had the potential to hold all of their dreams. Like a house built on shifting sand, their lives together began to crumble and their bond of marriage, fidelity, trust and honesty was being shattered. Far worse, one of them was wielding the deadly sledgehammer and doing so without anyone being the wiser.

POISON is the story of a marriage and a family’s demise, the mental games and t
Linda Richardson
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Chilling story of psychological suspense. The author’s writing had me submersed in Cass’ emotions; I fould myself feeling her panic & paranoia.
Carrie
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
I received this book through a Goodreads giveaway.

The premise of this intrigued me, but ultimately, I didn't feel the execution lived up to it. What my confusion boils down to, I think, is that I was never sure what this was supposed to be. The blurb cites it as a thriller, but it was never fast-enough paced for me to consider it one. I never quite believed in Cassandra as a character because of her stilted speeches, bizarre trains of thought, and sometimes irrational behavior. Because of that,
Patty
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
By
Halt Niederhoffer

What it's all about...

Wow...this book started out like a meek little lamb and then halfway through began roaring like a lion. Ryan and Cass...married...in love...building a strong family unit with her two children and the one they made together. Then Cass started doubting Ryan...but...Ryan behaved bizarrely...meanly...again...mid way through the book I doubted everyone...even Nora the Neighbor!

Why I wanted to read it...

This book was truly compelling. The writing...the w
Elisa
Oct 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
An interesting novel, very well written and with realistic character development that simply failed to connect with me. This is not a bad book at all but it's just a matter of personal preference. The story devotes too much time for my taste to the main character's feelings, thoughts and mental constructs. It is too descriptive and slow on the action. More serious readers will probably love it.
I chose to read this book and all opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased. Thank yo
  • Killing Secrets (Nan Vining Mysteries #5)
  • The Lost Concerto
  • Animal Planet Ocean Animals (Animal Bites Series)
  • Shallow End (Stonechild and Rouleau Mystery, #4)
  • Heaven Has No Regrets
  • A Chance to Win: Boyhood, Baseball, and the Struggle for Redemption in the Inner City
  • Keeper of the Shadows (The Keepers: L.A. #3)
  • Dark Screams: Volume Five
  • The Remaining
  • Beautiful Maids All in a Row (Iris Ballard, #1)
  • The Moroccan Girl
  • Family Inheritance
  • Blue Man
  • Lion Heart
  • Emancipation (Pen Pals and Serial Killers #1)
  • The Palm Reader (Jackson Walker, #2)
  • Without Trace (Morgan Vine, #1)
  • The Detour
“We live in a world that hates women so much that they would sooner blame a woman for reporting a crime than punish a man for committing it.” 4 likes