Start by marking “The Forgotten Girl” as Want to Read:
The Forgotten Girl

The Forgotten Girl

Harvey Anderson is a twenty-six-year-old street performer from New Jersey. He likes his peaceful life, but everything he knows is turned upside down when he is abducted and beaten by a group of nondescript thugs. Working for a sinister man known as "The Spider," these goons have spent the last nine years searching for Harveys girlfriend, Sally Starling. Now they think they ...more
Published June 13th 2017 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about The Forgotten Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forgotten Girl

Start your review of The Forgotten Girl
James
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have ever read. Seriously.
David Agranoff
This is the second novel by Rio Youers that I have read and as much as I liked the first one Westlake Soul it had been five years since I read the last one. Westlake soul was a very slow burn deeply spiritual novel. It was not a easy-breezy read, that I really enjoyed but it was one that I only suggested to fans of very serious horror literature. Not that it didn't have fun and like hearted moments, because it did. That said the tone was deep and introspective.

The Forgotten Girl is very
Bill
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written with fine characterization and an intriguing plot line. There are a couple secondary characters that are worth the price of admission alone. 4+ Stars and Highly Recommended.

That being said, its time for Bills Rant of the Day. Enjoy!

I hardly ever read the synopsis for a book because they tend to give too much away. I hate that. This book is a prime example of that. I am so glad that I waited until I finished to check it out. In fact, Im not so sure I would have read it, had I did.
Philip Fracassi
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: genre, horror
An astounding book. As a reader who devours horror, supernatural thrillers, literary novels and hard-boiled detective and crime books, FORGOTTEN GIRL was like a perfect amalgam of all things awesome for my personal palate. This book moves and breathes, it's got so much heart that when it bleeds with violence and horror you feel the warm sticky smear from the page and into your brain, satisfyingly so.

If you're a fan of books from Dennis Lehane or Stephen King or Chuck Wendig or even folks like
Sjgomzi
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-list-2018
Im not going to say much, because the less you know the better when going into this book. What I am going to say is go online or run to your nearest book seller and find this book and read it. Go. Enjoy! And you can thank me later. 😉 ...more
Zuky the BookBum
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was really excited to be offered this book by Titan as Id read Halcyon late last year and loved it! Youers books are an excellent blend of horror and fantasy, which is a genre Ive not read much of but am definitely a fan of!

I think this book is best going in to with little knowledge of the plot so Im going to try and avoid saying too much. I really enjoyed the storyline in this book! Its one of those plots that been done plenty of times before but reimagined in a completely new way. This novel
Nicole
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a very unique and clever sci fi horror/thriller. For the first 100 or so pages I was really gripped. I really enjoy anything that discusses mind control and memory, which this book does.

As the story went along I kind of started to loose interest. It started to loose its momentum which is had the start.

It's a very character driven story, which isn't a bad thing. I just prefer more plot driven stories. I also think this book could have been shorter, it was nearly 500 pages. I don't think
Beverley Lee
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been a while since I read a twisty supernatural thriller and this genre-bending story had me turning the pages quickly to find out what happened next.

Harvey Anderson is a peace loving street performer, catapulted into a situation where a girl he can't remember puts him on the radar of a particularly nasty group of thugs, led by 'The Spider.' All that is left in his head is one tattered memory, and with this shred Harvey has two choices, one of which will put his life (and the lives of those
Janel
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1. Do you enjoy supernatural horror thrillers?
2. Are you a fan of Stephen King, think Firestarter?

If you answered yes to the above questions, then you absolutely must read this novel!

This dark addictive thriller will have you hooked, with great protagonists, and unlikeable villains, shades of Stephen King, brutal with the right amount of emotion, this is one hell of a great read!

I really enjoyed Youers previous novel, Halcyon, but I thought this one was even better and has cemented Youers as a
Scott Kemper
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Have you ever forgotten about a lover? Ever had amnesia and forgot someone was ever in your life? Ever got caught up in a crazy government conspiracy that becomes the matter of life and death? If you have, you're the protagonist of this book.

The Forgotten Girl by Rio Youers is a book I've been hearing a lot about. Brian Keene raved about it on his podcast, many other reviewers that I follow also loved this book. Many calling it the best horror/thriller of the year. Is it? No, no it's not. Is it
Ewan
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I liked this, shades of early Stephen King (Firestarter, The Dead Zone), but a pretty original premise.
Missy (myweereads)
The Forgotten Girl by Rio Youers is about Harvey Anderson, a street performer who enjoys his peaceful life, but everything is turned upside down when he is abducted and beaten by a group of thugs who have spent nine years searching for Harvey's girlfriend, Sally. There's only one problem: Sally is gone and Harvey has no memory of her. His girlfriend has the unique ability to selectively erase a person's memories, and finding the forgotten girl comes at quite a cost?

This book was a fast, jam
FanFiAddict
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Power is in tearing human minds to pieces and putting them together again in new shapes of your own choosing."

Harvey Anderson has a pretty simple life. He is a street performer in New Jersey, lives in a modest apartment with his girlfriend, and is a mostly upright citizen. One day, out of the blue, Harvey is kidnapped, beaten to a pulp by a group of goons, and has his mind practically assaulted by a man known simply as 'The Spider'. But it isn't Harvey they are truly after, it's his girlfriend:
Alex (PaperbackPiano)

This was a seriously enjoyable read! The writing style is enthralling and I found myself swept along very easily from beginning to end. The writing is actually highly cinematic; I could easily picture everything in great detail and I think that this book would translate really well to screen!

The concept is so original and unique. I think its best to go into this one knowing as little as possible, to allow yourself to experience the shocks and thrills! In saying that, even though I had
Oliver Clarke
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review first appeared on scifiandscary.com - the publisher provided a copy for review consideration
I first got into horror in the 1980s, when Hollywood was trying forget the nasty excesses of the 70s and was plundering the 50s back catalogue for ideas. John Carpenters The Thing is the best of the remakes from that time (in fact its probably the best remake ever) but its definitely not the only one. In literature, authors like Stephen King werent exactly retelling stories from the 50s, but
Heide Goody
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This thriller grabs you from the beginning. Harvey is a peace-loving street performer. He avoids trouble and wont even kill a fly if it gets trapped in his apartment. The novel opens with him being tortured for information about a girl hes never heard of. When hes released he comes to realise that this girl lived with him for several years, so what happened to his memories?
Harveys journey is gripping. His enemies are incredibly powerful, and hes really not equipped to take them on, but he keeps
Eduardo
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply put, amazing! This novel is shockingly good, an energetic page-turner, full of interesting twists and turns. It reads like a faster-paced Stephen King at his best. Entirely recommended!
Rachel Bridgeman
Harvey is going about his day to day job of, well, being Harvey, busking and keeping a low key, off the grid, hippy lifestyle. He doesn't bother society at large, he exists on the fringe and keeps ,mind and body together with his low expectations of life, he is, essentially in a good place and happy with the way things are going.

Until it doesn't.

Until he is kidnapped, beaten and tortured on the basis of a signed leasing contract which asserts that he and a girl named 'Sally Starling' cohabited
Jim
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it
probably 4-5 stars for the concept, but the story was way too long and entirely too jumbled and jarring... had a cutesy "do anything for love" vibe, but i felt strongly the book couldn't decide which genre it was - horror, thriller, mystery, serial killer, science fiction, spy/psyops, adventure/romance - and ended up doing none of them enough, or well enough, to satisfy me... as a novella, maybe 150-ish pages, it could have been stellar, assuming it picked a style and ran with it... Youers has ...more
Rich Rosell
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I saw a Joe Hill tweet touting Youers 'The Forgotten Girl', and that was pretty much all I needed to take a chance on it. A zippy mix of supernatural/thriller/serial killer/love story genres, bound together by Youers fast-paced action and wry dark humor. Merciless thugs. Psychic powers. Nasty villain. Unprepared hero. Plus - two wildly memorable sidekicks during the book's final balls out segment.

If 'The Dead Zone' and 'Firestarter' had an illegitimate child, it would sort of be like 'The
Nick Cato
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Doesn't get more exciting than this. Full review 7/24 at thehorrorfictionreview.blogspot.com
Teresa Reid
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was at once achingly familiar and yet like nothing I've ever read before. If you're a fan of early 80s horror where mine control is used, violence is abundant, and romance occurs, then this is the book for you.
Lou
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Opens with scene of violence and one beaten down by men in search of a girl.
Cowardice must retreat and his busking time aside and some super powers called upon, an ordinary man, Harvey, at war with teleplay and other psychic abilities aided by only vague memories of love our main protagonist finds himself up against a super villain Lang, who established an organisation Nova Oculus, in search of the forgotten girl by any means necessary Harvey must get to her first and piece together fragmented
Rob
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Forgotten Girl. A book this boy wont soon forget. Id read a short story from this Canadian author once and dug it. Thought Id see if he could translate this to a full length novel. Verdict: Yep and then some. Its amazing how far Stephen Kings influence is cast. The Forgotten Girl borrows some of SKs strength of character building and supernatural themes to blend it into a gripping story. Youers gives us a world with people with the mental abililities to steal peoples memories and so much ...more
Tzu-Mainn Chen
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
I don't really blame "The Forgotten Girl" for this, but the book almost convinced me that I had abruptly lost my love for reading. This thriller, about a young man whose adventures begin when he is kidnapped and roughly interrogated regarding a woman he loved and yet can't remember, is written well by an author with an engaging voice. And yet I found myself sighing whenever I picked up the book to force another chapter.

It wasn't until halfway through that I understood why I disliked the book so
D. Ward
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was my first immersion into the world of a Rio Youers novel but it will not be my last.
THE FORGOTTEN GIRL is not only just one hell of a page-turner, but there is poetry, toothe poetry of moments and of connection. It uncurls from the book and wraps around the mind of the reader, making that final and ultimate connection all authors strive for.
Youers is clearly a master of the craft and it shows in everything from the precision and inspiration with which the plot is laid out to the
Hayden
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Stayed up later than I should have just to finish the book. Professor X and Greg Stillson's vile lovechild are out to find Jean Grey, and her quinoa-eating, street-busking boyfriend is going to help them whether he wants to or not. But, you know, way better than that sounds.
Duffy Pearce
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stayed up until midnight finishing it. Thought I'd hate the street musician but his self deprecating insights made the ptotagonist less slapable.
Sam
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
And he found her. The dancing girl. He groaned with a sad kind of satisfaction and gathered the memory close, as if it were precious, as if it were his.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind meets The Fugitive. Something like that.

A group of paramilitary thugs kidnap Harvey Anderson and torture him for information about a girl he doesnt remember. I enjoyed this book from the outset. It manages to be fast-paced without doing the thing where every chapter is two pages.

The supernatural elements
Dean Italiano
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. One of the things I like the most about Rio's writing, which may sound strange to most, is the amount of description he uses to set a scene and then MOVES ON to the action. The descriptions are short and crystal clear, not only setting the scene but also the tone and the pace of the upcoming chapter a number of times. I can't tell you how much I appreciate this part of his style.

I don't want to give away too much, which is hard as this book unfolds in a way that new
« previous 1 3 next »

• Other Words for Smoke
  • Wonderland: An Anthology
  • The Survival of Molly Southbourne
  • The Resurrectionists
  • The Pandora Room (Ben Walker, #2)
  • Snakeskins
  • Abigale Hall
  • Creature
  • The Last Christmas A Repairman Jack Novel
  • Soon
Rio Youers is the British Fantasy Awardnominated author of End Times and Point Hollow. His short fiction has been published in many notable anthologies, and his novel, Westlake Soul, was nominated for Canadas prestigious Sunburst Award. Rio has been favorably reviewed in such venues as Publishers Weekly, Booklist, and The National Post. His new novel, The Forgotten Girl, will be released by ...more