Start by marking “Ladies Who Punch” as Want to Read:
Ladies Who Punch

Ladies Who Punch

Like Fire & Fury, the gossipy real-life soap opera behind a serious show.

When Barbara Walters launched The View, network executives told her that hosting it would tarnish her reputation. Instead, within ten years, she’d revolutionized morning TV and made household names of her co-hosts: Joy Behar, Star Jones, Meredith Vieira and Elisabeth Hasselbeck. But the daily c

Published April 2nd 2019 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about Ladies Who Punch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ladies Who Punch

Mary Sisney
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I knew that Rosie O'Donnell had mental health problems before I read this book, but after reading it, I wonder about the mental health of several other former co-hosts, including Barbara Walters (who seems to have had mild dementia near the end of her reign) and Elisabeth Hasselbeck. I also changed my mind about which co-hosts were the most and least likable. Of the original hosts, Star seemed to be the least likable because of her narcissistic, diva behavior, but in this book, she admits her mi ...more
Sabrina Fonfeder
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perfect. Absolute bliss. Wish it were twice as long.
Cam
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very interesting read about the behind the senses of the show The View. It was fun going to YouTube and reviewing the footage of thing that were discussed.
Mel
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, book-group
I wonder if Barbara Walters and longtime sidekick Bill Geddie sought out the opinion of a personality psychologist prior to presenting the world with Barbara's dream baby, The View.
"I've always wanted to do a show with women of different generations, backgrounds, and views; and in a perfect world, I'd get to join the group whenever I wanted"
I'm convinced that on some level, the many implications associated with her dream show and the unintended consequences were not only predictable, but exa
Nancy Brown
Meh.

Rich women taking themselves and their lives far far too seriously as they contribute to the decline of American discourse.
Ira Madison III
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The power that this book has... the international implications that this book has...
Susan
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Holy cow!!! So much to wrap my head around! This book is exactly why I don't watch The View anymore!😂 So much juice and I loved learning about what really happens behind the scenes but wow......total toxicity!!
Rob
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A delicious and savory read! It’s everything I thought backstage at The View to be...and more! The backbiting, the betrayals, the b**** slapping; well, no confirmation of the latter but the book certainly lives up to its title. Consider this tea spilt!
Chris Sosa
Apr 04, 2019 rated it liked it
"Ladies Who Punch" boasts an impressive amount of research and original interview content as it documents one of the most iconic talk shows of all time.

Unfortunately, the author comes off a bit like Bravo's insufferable Andy Cohen in certain sections. I have no interest in hearing a man describe commentary by the smart and successful women of The View as "bitchy." Being gay doesn't excuse misogyny. This shoudn't need to be explained in 2019.

That said, the good outweighs the bad here as Ramin Se
Linda
This was chocolate cake for a diabetic. I shouldn't, but I did. I thought all the previous co-hosts quit to accept other gigs. Not so. The bulk of this book takes place up to, and including Rosie O'Donnell's second time at the table. The next couple of years get skimmed over.
Still a delicious read.
Tara
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everything and more I could want in a book! I’ve always felt very proud that I could I say I watched the Rosie/Elisabeth fight live on television. I knew it was history making. I think this guy needs to write a tell on Rosie O’Donnell’s whole life next. I could read about her all day. I think she’s a genius but with genius often comes crazy. It’s amazing how he got so many of them to be so open and candid with him, he has a gift. I hope he does a follow up book in a few years. Someone needs to h ...more
Michelle
I loved this dishy look at The View...which is funny because I've probably watched the show like 3 times, and all way back when my teens were newborns. There were people mentioned in this I had no idea were hosts! Regardless, I spend a lot of time in the car and listening to this on audiobook made the time pass quickly. The author interviewed most of the players, so it leant a great deal of credibility to the story. Super fun, even for people like me who aren't fans.
JJ Wall
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve never been a regular watcher of The View but loved every word of Ladies Who Punch!!

This book is an incredibly entertaining, well researched, thorough, and juicy one.
Tiffany
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*chef's kiss* I could have read a book twice as long about all the backstage drama. I love this show, love all these ladies, love this mess.
Lisa Leone-campbell
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ladies who Punch is the behind the scenes story of The View. It is caddy, scathing, petty and humiliating...and I loved every word!

Unless you are a fan of The View, which I have been from its conception almost 20 years ago, you won't really enjoy this book. BUT for those who lunch with the ladies as I have over the years, this will be your bible on how the show works, or doesn't, how the ladies get along, or don't, and how the staff and talent try to sabotage each other, and they do. Here are ju
Bill Magee
Apr 06, 2019 rated it liked it
don't look at me
Patricia Newton
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing like watching a debate about everything between woman who know enough to make it interesting. When I heard about this book I knew I had to read it. Pre-ordered it and 3 minutes after it arrived in my kindle app I was wrapped up in it. I watched the show sparatically as I had a job but I retired the year Rosie joined the cast first time around. She made the show livelyier than ever. When she left sadly to say so did I as a viewer. Watched major parts like Hillery Clinton,. Michelle Obama, ...more
Kathy
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loaded this to my kindle as soon as it was out and couldn't put it down. I've watched The View off and on since the very first episode. This book was so dishy, I loved it. Also well written and researched. Just a wonderful read.
Todd
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a fan of The View, I made this book my guilty pleasure for travel reading this month. The book’s author provides an historical account of The Views’s beginning and evolution, and up close profiles of the show’s personalities over its two decade span. Barbara Walters is the driving force in the book, though the interviews with the other ladies like Rosie and Elisabeth make for a fun inside look at the show’s personalities, disputes and staying power at a time when The View seems more relevant ...more
Alastair Patton
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-ficton
'Ladies Who Punch' by Ramin Setoodeh is an exemplary view of The View and forms a picture of the rise of women, and the female perspective, in modern Journalism. Setoodeh effectively dissects The View; its ups, its downs, its controversies, and its massive success--in a way that keeps the reader engaged and hungry for more.

He outlines how many of the viewpoints of the co-stars throughout the seasons are incredibly relevant today. The View, and the diverse opinionated co-hosts, are especially rel
Danielle Lemon
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh I do love a good industry behind-the-scenes tell all! Also, kinda-spoiler-but-not-really: Rosie sounds like a nightmare colleague.
Justin
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Trash-tastic in a behind the scenes “view” of the television series that Walters started. More impressive was that the author actually was able to speak to most of the women about their positive and negative experience being on the show.
Pam
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-ebook
I started watching The View from the very first episode and watched for years. When I found out about this book, I knew I wanted to read it. It is very well written and gives good insight into the behind the scene shenanigans and drama. The book does not feel gossipy at all. It was a very easy read.
Arik Hardin
Apr 11, 2019 rated it liked it
The time has finally come for me to come out of the closet: I like watching the View. It's not that I think the women of the View are particularly well suited to political commentary, but rather that I am intrigued by their relationships, the discussion, and (unsurprisingly, given that I decided to read this book) the drama.

This book delivered on the drama, and I loved every second of it. Although I haven't been watching the show since the beginning (it was a little before my time), I enjoyed re
Debbie
May 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
I have never watched one show of The View...not even five minutes... but I have seen crazy clips on the news where these women go bat crap crazy, so I read the book. I've wasted time reading books like this before, but it's a light senseless read. And now I know why I've never watch The View.
Bert
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For all the hype of a tell-all, this book falls short of it's goal.

I was never a view watcher - every time it went by as I was channel surfing all I saw was arguing and posturing, ranting and raving, and posing and self-inflating.

Not for me.

The book reaffirmed the glimpses I saw as the show blipped past on the dial. Self-important people stroking their egos while demonstrating their sense of entitlement.

I don't get it. I never got it. Just like I didn't get the impossible-to-remember-even-if-you
David
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I've never watched a full episode of The View, but I know about it for the same reasons as any other casual TV viewer: Because I know of Barbara Walters--much like non-wrestling fans recognize the names Hulk Hogan and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson--and because The View made headlines. It has been at the center of too many pop-culture zeitgeists to count, although author Ramin Setoodeh makes a great effort in his first book, LADIES WHO PUNCH.

PUNCH is a narrative-style account of the history of The Vi
Tiffany
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve been a fan and critic of the view since Star Jones was on. This book was a page turner for me. All the backstage dealings drama we all knew was going on,even after Barbara forced the ladies to say “we’re all friends here” after every squabble, was and it was quite the page turner. Two criticisms: 1) the author sometimes would throw in a quote and not make it readily apparent whom he was quoting. 2) the author skimmed over the last two years of the cast very quickly. Despite that, I couldn’t ...more
Paula Fahey
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just a really fun read. I don’t watch The View, so there were some hosts that I never heard of, but it was still really entertaining. This is probably pretty indicative of what goes on behind the scenes of many tv shows, but also reminds me of something I’m more familiar with - corporate America! After reading this, I have a more favorable opinion of Joy. She still is the most unfunny “comedian” I have ever heard, but she and Meredith are the only two hosts who seemed to keep themselves grounded ...more
Leanne
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love a good, juicy behind the scenes tell all . This doesn’t disappoint . I didn’t want it to end!
Ramin Setoodeh, an award-winning journalist, is the New York bureau chief for Variety. He was formerly a senior writer at Newsweek and has also written for The Wall Street Journal, the Los Angeles Times, and U.S. News & World Report, among other publications. Ladies Who Punch is his first book. He lives in New York City.