Start by marking “Everything All at Once: How to Unleash Your Inner Nerd, Tap into Radical Curiosity and Solve Any Problem” as Want to Read:

Bill Nye has been the public face of science for more than 20 years. In Everything All At Once, the New York Times bestselling author issues a call to arms meant to rouse everyone to become the change they want to see in the world. Whether addressing global warming, social change, or personal success, there are certain strategies that always get results: looking at the wor ...more
Published July 11th 2017 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about Everything All at Once, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everything All at Once

Ben Babcock
When I taught in England, I wore a bow-tie every day to work, because I was not down with neckties. They are too long and floppy. While I was, in part, emulating the Eleventh Doctor, I’d be remiss if I didn’t give some credit for this sartorial preference to a much older role model: Bill Nye the Science Guy.

My favourite line of Everything All at Once comes in the very first chapter: “Thinking like a nerd is a lifelong journey, and I am inviting you here to take it with me.” This is so true. More
Rob Conner
Dec 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
DNF,

I love Bill Nye and I support his efforts to educate people about global warming and evolution, but this book was so scatterbrained and so unfocused with so many random stories devoid of all point and purpose that I just couldn’t finish it. I feel bad because of my love for the author, but it just was nothing like his previous two works I’ve read. Maybe I will give it another shot in the future. But for now, this book was NOT for me...
Stephanie
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've enjoyed all of Bill Nye's books but this one seems to be my favorite. His childhood stories and lessons learned through out the years have definitely added a personal touch that the reader can most certainly relate to. What I love most about Nye's books is his contagious passion for science, space exploration, nerds, humor and the list goes on. He genuinely wants us to succeed as a species and chapter after chapter this is quite evident with all the information and suggestions he provides. ...more
Paperclippe
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Almost as good as Undeniable, which I hold in very high esteem. The jokes were grown-worthy but in that magical, lovable Bill Nye way, and the Reasoner's Manifesto is my new favorite thing. I also loved hearing about Bill's parents. They seemed like amazing folks. A really enjoyable (if slightly enraging) read.
Tracy
This book is tough to rate. I enjoyed listening to Bill Nye speak passionately about nerds rising up and doing great things, but at the same time I didn't feel like I was part of the audience he meant to inspire. He had almost an elitist attitude about science nerds. Newsflash, many of the people reading/listening to this book are not science nerds. I guess it's just so easy to compare myself to Bill + all that he's achieved that it feels like any contribution I'd make would be close to nil.

On
Elizabeth
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I listened to Bill read his own book with passion! Wow. Is it true that he might run for president? He would get my vote! He brings a lot of things together in this book which matches the title "Everything All At Once." He is part comedian so the puns and emphases he utilizes are funny. And he will be moving along and suddenly say that something "sucks". It is a crack up! I appreciated his explanations of climate change and how we/humans must change to save the planet. I liked how he calls for r ...more
Linda
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction

Full disclosure: I read slightly more than half of the book, not because it wasn't good, but because I wasn't in the mood for non-fiction. I will probably go back and finish it soon.

My only quibble here is that Bill seems to want to reserve the term "nerd" for science nerds, which is just wrong.

One of the things I appreciate most about Bill's writing (along with the puns) is his precise use of language. It's almost impossible to pick nits from his prose, and I'm a nit-picker from way back.
Kristin
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
(Audio version)

I started out wondering what makes someone a nerd, then quickly realized that I'm a nerd. Bill Nye makes that cool.

I especially enjoyed his assertion that everyone you meet knows something you don't. We should pay attention.
Alissa
This is really 3 1/2 stars

So, I really wanted this book to be more a ‘science primer’ and less a memoir and political conversation. But I did not get that at all.

Bill Nye has been the Science Guy my entire life. I grew up with him in science class and so when I heard about this book I wanted it. But in true me fashion, I did not properly read the description and just barreled in. Hence, me not getting what I wanted.

This book is filled with great childhood adventure tales as well as his ideolog
Allysson Murphy-Floyd
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It is written in Bill Nye's voice, there is no doubt he sat and wrote it himself. His overall message, that we all can, dare I say it, change the world, is poignant and well timed. Drawing on his life experiences and memories, Bill clearly illustrates all the components of everything all at once thinking. It sounds like a lot, but is very manageable.

He does talk about a slew of issues facing today's world, and he is blunt. But in every instance he offers a guideline for how to
Maria
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bill Nye the Science Guy, writes another book to convince the world that science and math are important. That humans can and do change the world around them and we should use that power for good.

Why I started this book: I was feeling overwhelmed and the title of Everything All at Once struck a chord.

Why I finished it: Great book of optimism and encouragement... the start was a little slow as Nye recounted his experiences with scout camp.
Amy "the book-bat"
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very interesting. He has a lot of good ideas.
Doug
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
I read the first 4 Chapters and decided it did not capture me. It was a little slow and, for me, had no appeaal.
Abbie
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed listening to the audiobook narrated by the author. Took a while because I really wanted to absorb what was being said. I found this book very inspiring about the future and that I could have a personal role in it. At various times it made me want to quit my job and go be an engineer, which isn't something I should be considering at this point in my life. But I just wanted to DO something. I want to reread this next year.
Cody Wolf
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read. I have always been a fan of Bill Nye The Science Guy, and this book did not disappoint. His writing style is charming, and his first hand experiences keep you interested as you read through each chapter. I recommend this book to anyone who is interested, even if you are not a fan of Bill Nye.
Shannon
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
I have definitely a huge fan of Bill Nye (like many, my adoration of him started with Bill Nye the Science Guy). This is the third book of Nye's I have read, and I found it entertaining, but not quite as good as Undeniable and Unstoppable.

Check out my full review on my blog For the Love of Words.
Brooke
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed listening to Bill Nye, hearing his stories about his life and his call to action. which I whole heartily agree. WE must work together NOW to protect not our earth.
Emma Tucker
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it
At times it was a little bit ramble-y, but it was funny and entertaining. I also think he did a really great job communicating the dangers of climate change
Jennifer (JenIsNotaBookSnob)
I did like this book, however, I was left wishing I had selected one of the other Bill Nye books to read. He references the other ones several times in this one. If you haven't read Bill Nye before, I would start with one of his other ones.
Ruxandra Tihon
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
After the first 100 pages I would have probably given it a 3, but once you pass all the childhood stories the book is really good. I liked the chapters about critical thinking, climate change, AI, the role of science etc.
Issa
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Kinda got the opposite of what he was going for. I feel super small and insignificant, but still super guilty and like everything is my fault.
Agarbarino
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I admire this man, and have for years. This book reminded me why. I finished this, and the first thing I wanted to do was thank him for everything he did for me as a kid, and now as an adult. Always challenging and encouraging the critical thinker in us all.
Mark DeHate
I'm a huge Bill Nye fan. This book though....less so. I appreciate the message - question everything, harness all your knowledge and apply 'everything all at once thinking' to the world's problems, and go out and do great things. Yes, all wonderful thoughts, and I would love for everyone to really grok Bill's message here.

But this book is all over the map, which is my beef with it, and why I was happy to be finished. Is it a memoir? Is it a book teaching me about science? Is it persuasive nonfic
Steve
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
So, I really was caught off guard with this one. And I'd like to fully apologize to the author for any disrespect and initial doubts I harbored.(I apologize Dr. Nye)
What an unexpectedly fun and inspiring read. From the name,
"Everything All at Once: How to Unleash Your Inner Nerd, Tap Into Radical Curiosity and Solve Any Problem " I was expecting a sort of goofy, (it can be) campy
attempt to cater on the "Big Bang" tv audiences who causally will browse a web link on a scientific topic and proclaim
Arminzerella
Bill Nye makes some good points, and one message that I took away was that everyone knows something you don't. But his narration - and laughing at his own jokes - was kind of irritating. (Had this same problem with another reader who kept almost snidely laughing during his narration of one of Bernie Sanders' books.) This also seemed like a jumble of things that wasn't quite sure what it wanted to be. A biography? A call to action? Everything all at once, I guess. Mission accomplished.
Kimee
Jun 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Like many public school kids in the US, I grew up with Bill Nye and love his bow ties. More than because of his experiments, though, I stayed a fan because of a thing he said that I really needed to hear as a pompous teenager: "Everyone you meet knows something you don't." I try to remind myself of that in my daily life; I might linocut it.

I picked up this book to better get to know Bill's other life philosophies, and it delivered on that. His humility shines, his principles for nerd living are
Jim Lavis
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I always learn so much from reading these types of books. Within these pages Bill Nye shares his personal outlook on some of our current threats and misconceptions troubling our society. He encourages us all to make a concerted effort to do something about climate change, threats of nuclear armament, and he also explains how investing in space exploration can benefit us all.

Many countries are investing in space exploration. China, Russia, Malaysia, Brazil, Iran, Nigeria, Vietnam, and Mexico all
Garrett Ryan
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
The book as a whole was good and full of a lot of interesting information. I think my favorite bits were the random facts like the origin of the neck tie and how Bills opinion on GMO's changed. This isn't a standard science book that picks a concept for a few chapters and then lays down an argument as to why the concept is true or false. Some of the science explanations are here, such as how ice cores tell us about the climate, but the majority of the book is a call to action. Chapters 2 and 3 w ...more
Jennifer Rayment
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Everytime I listen to Bill Nye I regret that I never paid attention in school. In public and high school I was too busy chasing Michael Tinker to pay attention in class. I never knew that Science was so cool and I truly believe if we had people more people like Bill Nye teaching Science in the way he talks about it -- I really believe we could actually change the world. His enthusiasm and passion are inspiring and make me want to go back to school and take every science class there ever was. It ...more
Alex Timberman
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bill Nye is a comedian, engineer trained, scientist. Well, I've read some criticism that he is not actually a "scientist" but I digress.

The book is written for the non-scientist and goes over principles of "nerd" thinking. He tells many stories of his experience and how nerd thinking helped him solve a problem and how this way of thinking can solve future problems. He's a champion of science and goes over issues such as climate change, GMOs, and even religion. On climate change, he touts eviden
Madison Mega-Mara...: #15 Everything All at Once 1 3 Apr 16, 2018 03:19PM
  • Built on Bones: 15,000 Years of Urban Life and Death
  • Fear of Physics: A Guide for the Perplexed
  • Wonder Woman Unbound: The Curious History of the World's Most Famous Heroine
  • Reality Check: How Science Deniers Threaten Our Future
  • Clockwork Futures: The Science of Steampunk and the Reinvention of the Modern World
  • Jesus Potter Harry Christ: The Astonishing Relationship Between Two of the World's Most Popular Literary Characters: A Historical Investigation Into the Mythology and Literature of Jesus Christ and the Religious Symbolism in Rowling's Magical Series.
  • Jingle Bell Pop
  • Brain Myths Exploded: Lessons from Neuroscience
  • Smart Love: The Comprehensive Guide to Understanding, Regulating, and Enjoying Your Child
  • Fallet Thomas Quick: Att skapa en seriemördare
  • Envy
  • Maker Lab: 28 Super Cool Projects
  • Galileo and Newton
  • Rocket Girl: The Story of Mary Sherman Morgan, America's First Female Rocket Scientist
  • Fastest Things on Wings: Rescuing Hummingbirds in Hollywood
William Sanford "Bill" Nye, popularly known as Bill Nye the Science Guy, is an American science educator, comedian, television presenter, actor, writer, scientist, and former mechanical engineer, best known in popular media as a science educator.
“With that in mind, here’s my Nerd Code of Conduct: ■Be open and be honest. ■Don’t pretend you know what you don’t know (often a little too easy to do). ■Show the world as it is, rather than the way you wish it would be. ■Respect facts; don’t deny them just because you don’t like them. ■Move forward only after you trust your design.” 2 likes
“Humans Control the Earth; Nerds Should Guide the Humans” 0 likes