Start by marking “Everything All at Once: How to Unleash Your Inner Nerd, Tap into Radical Curiosity and Solve Any Problem” as Want to Read:

Bill Nye has been the public face of science for more than 20 years. In Everything All At Once, the New York Times bestselling author issues a call to arms meant to rouse everyone to become the change they want to see in the world. Whether addressing global warming, social change, or personal success, there are certain strategies that always get results: looking at the wor ...more
Published July 11th 2017 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about Everything All at Once, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everything All at Once

Start your review of Everything All at Once: How to Unleash Your Inner Nerd, Tap into Radical Curiosity and Solve Any Problem
Kara Babcock
When I taught in England, I wore a bow-tie every day to work, because I was not down with neckties. They are too long and floppy. While I was, in part, emulating the Eleventh Doctor, I’d be remiss if I didn’t give some credit for this sartorial preference to a much older role model: Bill Nye the Science Guy.

My favourite line of Everything All at Once comes in the very first chapter: “Thinking like a nerd is a lifelong journey, and I am inviting you here to take it with me.” This is so true. More
Rob
Dec 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
DNF,

I love Bill Nye and I support his efforts to educate people about global warming and evolution, but this book was so scatterbrained and so unfocused with so many random stories devoid of all point and purpose that I just couldn’t finish it. I feel bad because of my love for the author, but it just was nothing like his previous two works I’ve read. Maybe I will give it another shot in the future. But for now, this book was NOT for me...
Stephanie
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've enjoyed all of Bill Nye's books but this one seems to be my favorite. His childhood stories and lessons learned through out the years have definitely added a personal touch that the reader can most certainly relate to. What I love most about Nye's books is his contagious passion for science, space exploration, nerds, humor and the list goes on. He genuinely wants us to succeed as a species and chapter after chapter this is quite evident with all the information and suggestions he provides. ...more
Paperclippe
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Almost as good as Undeniable, which I hold in very high esteem. The jokes were grown-worthy but in that magical, lovable Bill Nye way, and the Reasoner's Manifesto is my new favorite thing. I also loved hearing about Bill's parents. They seemed like amazing folks. A really enjoyable (if slightly enraging) read.
Tracy
This book is tough to rate. I enjoyed listening to Bill Nye speak passionately about nerds rising up and doing great things, but at the same time I didn't feel like I was part of the audience he meant to inspire. He had almost an elitist attitude about science nerds. Newsflash, many of the people reading/listening to this book are not science nerds. I guess it's just so easy to compare myself to Bill + all that he's achieved that it feels like any contribution I'd make would be close to nil.

On
Elizabeth
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I listened to Bill read his own book with passion! Wow. Is it true that he might run for president? He would get my vote! He brings a lot of things together in this book which matches the title "Everything All At Once." He is part comedian so the puns and emphases he utilizes are funny. And he will be moving along and suddenly say that something "sucks". It is a crack up! I appreciated his explanations of climate change and how we/humans must change to save the planet. I liked how he calls for r ...more
Linda
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction

Full disclosure: I read slightly more than half of the book, not because it wasn't good, but because I wasn't in the mood for non-fiction. I will probably go back and finish it soon.

My only quibble here is that Bill seems to want to reserve the term "nerd" for science nerds, which is just wrong.

One of the things I appreciate most about Bill's writing (along with the puns) is his precise use of language. It's almost impossible to pick nits from his prose, and I'm a nit-picker from way back.
Kristin
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
(Audio version)

I started out wondering what makes someone a nerd, then quickly realized that I'm a nerd. Bill Nye makes that cool.

I especially enjoyed his assertion that everyone you meet knows something you don't. We should pay attention.
Diz
This book presents a selection of stories from the life of Bill Nye the Science Guy. Each story is tied into the idea of promoting critical thinking and the scientific method. The messages that are advocated in this book are ones that need to be heard. However, the writing itself is a bit dull at times.
Alissa
This is really 3 1/2 stars

So, I really wanted this book to be more a ‘science primer’ and less a memoir and political conversation. But I did not get that at all.

Bill Nye has been the Science Guy my entire life. I grew up with him in science class and so when I heard about this book I wanted it. But in true me fashion, I did not properly read the description and just barreled in. Hence, me not getting what I wanted.

This book is filled with great childhood adventure tales as well as his ideolog
Allysson Murphy-Floyd
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It is written in Bill Nye's voice, there is no doubt he sat and wrote it himself. His overall message, that we all can, dare I say it, change the world, is poignant and well timed. Drawing on his life experiences and memories, Bill clearly illustrates all the components of everything all at once thinking. It sounds like a lot, but is very manageable.

He does talk about a slew of issues facing today's world, and he is blunt. But in every instance he offers a guideline for how to
Maria
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bill Nye the Science Guy, writes another book to convince the world that science and math are important. That humans can and do change the world around them and we should use that power for good.

Why I started this book: I was feeling overwhelmed and the title of Everything All at Once struck a chord.

Why I finished it: Great book of optimism and encouragement... the start was a little slow as Nye recounted his experiences with scout camp.
Nicholas Pourazima
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Less impactful derivative of the great Carl Sagan. The jumble of collected stories are mismatched puzzle pieces to a whole which felt preachy and entitled in many moments. We get it, you're the CEO of The Planetary Society...you don't need to mention it 40 times in your book.
Amy "the book-bat"
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very interesting. He has a lot of good ideas.
Doug
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
I read the first 4 Chapters and decided it did not capture me. It was a little slow and, for me, had no appeaal.
Abbie
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed listening to the audiobook narrated by the author. Took a while because I really wanted to absorb what was being said. I found this book very inspiring about the future and that I could have a personal role in it. At various times it made me want to quit my job and go be an engineer, which isn't something I should be considering at this point in my life. But I just wanted to DO something. I want to reread this next year.
Shannon
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
I have definitely a huge fan of Bill Nye (like many, my adoration of him started with Bill Nye the Science Guy). This is the third book of Nye's I have read, and I found it entertaining, but not quite as good as Undeniable and Unstoppable.

Check out my full review on my blog For the Love of Words.
Cody Wolf
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read. I have always been a fan of Bill Nye The Science Guy, and this book did not disappoint. His writing style is charming, and his first hand experiences keep you interested as you read through each chapter. I recommend this book to anyone who is interested, even if you are not a fan of Bill Nye.
Cindy G.
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nye uses nerd humor and autobiographical anecdotes to encourage critical and scientific thinking, and to convey an optimistic attitude about humanity's ability to solve problems if we work together. An enjoyable read.
Cassie
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book wasn’t what I expected it to be (I don’t really know at this point what I expected). There were parts that moved slow, there were parts that were inspiring. I love Bill! So, despite it not being 5 stars all the way, I still ended up enjoying this book and would recommend it to a variety of people, not just fans of Bill or science.
Katja
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I love Bill Nye, I religiously listen to his podcast "Science Rules" and I thought "Unstoppable" was awesome, but this book... I don't know. I enjoyed his childhood stories, but he lost me after a whole chapter on bow ties (...) and the following, super patriotic chapter about the founding fathers, which was the nerd version of chanting "USA, USA". I mean, seriously?
Emma Tucker
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it
At times it was a little bit ramble-y, but it was funny and entertaining. I also think he did a really great job communicating the dangers of climate change
Brooke
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed listening to Bill Nye, hearing his stories about his life and his call to action. which I whole heartily agree. WE must work together NOW to protect not our earth.
Richard John
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Pree coo!
Jennifer (JenIsNotaBookSnob)
I did like this book, however, I was left wishing I had selected one of the other Bill Nye books to read. He references the other ones several times in this one. If you haven't read Bill Nye before, I would start with one of his other ones.
Ruxandra Tihon
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
After the first 100 pages I would have probably given it a 3, but once you pass all the childhood stories the book is really good. I liked the chapters about critical thinking, climate change, AI, the role of science etc.
Issa Suing
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Kinda got the opposite of what he was going for. I feel super small and insignificant, but still super guilty and like everything is my fault.
Jonathan Bechtel
Jun 29, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: science, own
I bought this at Schowl library right before the coronavirus shit. I paid like $2. That was more than enough for this book. It's a take the money and run book.
Angel Garbarino
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I admire this man, and have for years. This book reminded me why. I finished this, and the first thing I wanted to do was thank him for everything he did for me as a kid, and now as an adult. Always challenging and encouraging the critical thinker in us all.
Patrick
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This is an easy-to-read book that is designed to get the reader motivated to be more supportive of science and more protective of the environment. The best description that I can think of the narrative is that it's Bill Nye's personal doctrine, shared with the world. The book starts with autobiographical stories about his early childhood and the lessons he learned from those events. He then elaborates on how he still applies those lessons to his current lifestyle. Then the book turns to the mode ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: #15 Everything All at Once 1 3 Apr 16, 2018 03:19PM
Goodreads Librari...: Bill Nye 2 21 Sep 14, 2017 01:01AM

• Replay: The History of Video Games
  • Moon Shot: The Inside Story of America's Race to the Moon
  • Treat Your Own Hand and Thumb Osteoarthritis
  • The Age of Living Machines: How Biology Will Build the Next Technology Revolution
  • Incredible Journeys: Exploring the Wonders of Animal Navigation
  • Your First Year: How to Survive and Thrive as a New Teacher
  • When Montezuma Met Cortés: The True Story of the Meeting that Changed History
  • The Pythons Autobiography by The Pythons
  • Effective TypeScript: 62 Specific Ways to Improve Your TypeScript
  • The Undocumented Americans
  • The Future We Choose: Surviving the Climate Crisis
  • Voyage of Mercy: The USS Jamestown, the Irish Famine, and the Remarkable Story of America's First Humanitarian Mission
  • Every Tool's a Hammer: Life Is What You Make It
  • Lasting Impact: One Team, One Season. What Happens When Our Sons Play Football
  • Coincidences, Chaos, and All That Math Jazz: Making Light of Weighty Ideas
  • Origins: Fourteen Billion Years of Cosmic Evolution
  • Run Faster from the 5K to the Marathon: How to Be Your Own Best Coach
  • Science of Running: Analyze Your Technique, Prevent Injury, Revolutionize Your Training
William Sanford "Bill" Nye, popularly known as Bill Nye the Science Guy, is an American science educator, comedian, television presenter, actor, writer, scientist, and former mechanical engineer, best known in popular media as a science educator.