Start by marking “Down a Dark Road (Kate Burkholder, #9)” as Want to Read:
Down a Dark Road (Kate Burkholder, #9)

Down a Dark Road

(Kate Burkholder #9)

In this electrifying new thriller in the New York Times bestselling series, a convicted murderer is on the run and Chief of Police Kate Burkholder must catch him before he strikes again.

Eight years ago Joseph King was convicted of murdering his wife and sentenced to life in prison. He was a "fallen" Amish man and, according to local law enforcement, a known drug user with
Published July 11th 2017 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Down a Dark Road, please sign up.
Linda Castillo Hi Joann! That's a great question--one I'm asked quite a bit. Each book is a standalone mystery, so this one can be read without reading the previous…moreHi Joann! That's a great question--one I'm asked quite a bit. Each book is a standalone mystery, so this one can be read without reading the previous books. That said, if you start with the first book, SWORN TO SILENCE, you'll really get a better picture of the characters, their backstories, and relationships. Thanks so much for your interest and I hope you enjoy! Best, Linda(less)

Kaceey
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fantastic addition to one of my absolute favorite series.

Joseph, an Amish father of five, is sent to prison for the murder of his wife. One year later he makes a daring escape to reunite with his children. Soon he crosses paths with his neighbor and childhood friend Kate Burkholder, now the police chief of Painters Mill. He desperately claims his innocence and pleads with her to look into the case and clear his name.

A very fast paced book that balances a great police procedural with a behin
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing

This is one of my favorite series! It is the nineth book in the Kate Burkholder Series. I have read every book in this series. This book was outstanding! Linda Castillo has done it again! Her ability to weave together the Amish life and "Englischers" into an interesting story and then throw a murder mystery in the midst is superb.

I love the characters in this series, especially Kate Burkholder. In this book the characters come to life, you actually care what happens to them. The author evokes d
Diane S ☔
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This author does such a great job of blending the Amish culture with that of our own, or as the Amish say, English. Burkholder, now sheriff, was one Amish, and her family, brother and sister, still belong. This case will take Katie back to her childhood, a time filled with chores, but also a great deal of fun. A man, who she last saw as a boy, will be the focus.

I love how this book goes back and forth in time, learning a little more about her past, small glimpses and insights into the Amish way
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: I haven’t seen or heard from Joseph King in twenty years, but I heard the stories. Not only from the Amish, but from law enforcement as well. Evidently, King was a troubled man with a marriage on the rocks, a litter of kids he didn’t want, and a loose interpretation of his marital vows.

I vividly recall the day I learned his wife had been found dead—and Joseph was arrested and charged with first-degree murder. I couldn’t believe the kid I’d known—the one with the toothy grin and big laug
Thomas
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 stars
Last year I won Among the Wicked, book 8 in the series, in a Goodreads giveaway. The publisher, Minotaur Books, sent me this book instead. I contacted them and asked if they would send me Among the Wicked. They apologized for the mistake and sent me Among the Wicked. They also said I did not have to worry about reading or reviewing Down a Dark Road.
This is book 9 in the series, and I recommend reading them in order, although I started with book 8 because of the giveaway. I have since read
Julie
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Down a Dark Road by Linda Castillo is a 2017 Minotaur Books publication.

Another solid addition to this outstanding series!!

Do you ever really forget your first crush?

For Kate, Joseph King was the first boy she ever had tender feelings for. But, eight years ago, he was convicted of murdering his wife and sent to prison. However, he has managed to escape, and although it’s foolhardy, the first thought in his mind is his children.

Apprised of the situation, Kate isn’t convinced Joseph would come b
Sheri
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2017
Another great book in the Kate Burkholder series. I enjoy this series for many reasons but a primary reason is that the author always keeps the action going, even in the paperwork parts of the investigation, the forward momentum is still there. I don't feel like I have to slog through lengthy descriptions to get back to the action. The characters and setting are developed in a succinct and relevant manner. Not much of the supporting characters in this installment, but that is okay as this is ver ...more
Brenda
When Chief of Police Kate Burkholder was informed that Joseph King had escaped from prison, she wasn't sure he'd return to Painters Mill. Joe's Amish lifestyle had fallen apart when his Datt was killed while he was just a teen...

After Joe's conviction for murdering his wife, his five children were taken in by his wife's sister and her husband. They now lived on a farm outside of town. But taking his children hostage and then capturing Kate as well, had the police from around the countryside surr
Liz
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
3.5 stars, rounded up to 4

This is a well done, solid mystery. Kate Burkholder is lapsed Amish, chief of police for a small Ohio town. In this book, a childhood friend who had been convicted of murdering his wife escapes from prison and returns for his children. Kate has gone to the house where the children are and ends up losing her gun and being taken hostage by the man. He later releases her when she promises to investigate his claim of innocence.

There is a nice balance between story and char
John Culuris
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways, arc
Disclaimer and an Apology: This book was awarded free through a Goodreads giveaway and due to unforeseen circumstances I’m only getting back to the novel now, over three months later. I will not abuse the privilege again.
★ ★ ★ 1/2

When I was a vendor and travelled the country as part of a group of five or six people, two my colleagues enjoyed romance novels. When one would finish a new book, she would grade it for the other. The scholastic letter grades they used were not much then the Star syste
Stacey
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Down a Dark Road is #9 and another great addition to the Kate Burkholder series. I like how Castillo weaves the Amish culture into all of the novels with Kate having grown up in an Amish family and leaving that lifestyle as an adult. She knows how they think and can get them talking. This is one of my favorites because it hits close to home for Kate Burkholder. She straddles the line between personal and professional which makes this an exciting read.

Her first crush has been convicted of murder
Brenda
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Let me get this out of the way first. I criticized a previous Linda Castillo book for glaring editing errors. There’s one in this book, very near the end, that unfortunately broke my concentration during a great scene. Made me look back a couple of pages to check something, and then shake my head. I hate when that happens, but I'm not letting that affect my feelings toward this book. So here we go…

I didn't plan on spending all of yesterday reading (and we did manage to go out for lunch), but thi
Jean
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Two “fallen away” Amish adults cross paths in Down a Dark Road, Linda Castillo’s ninth mystery novel featuring police chief Kate Burkholder. Kate left her family and the Amish community after her rumspringa, the period when teens are permitted to experience the “English” way of life. That is the time when they can decide whether or not they will remain Amish. Due to some difficult circumstances, Kate chose to leave. She studied and worked hard, and now she commands a tiny police force in the sma ...more
Corina☞BookTwinsReviews
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
4.5 chilling stars

I have been following this series since 2009. I don’t know anymore how I found this author, but her books have pulled me back year after year. The most fascinating aspect of these novels is the premise and location. I’ve never read anything about the Amish culture before Kate Burkholder. I’m from Germany so I understand some of the Amish that is being used in these books, but sentence structure is often very different and the culture is a world apart to anything I’ve ever known
KC
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank NetGalley, Minotaur Books, and Linda Castillo for the advanced digital copy in exchange for an honest review. Painters Mill Ohio Chief of Police Kate Burkholder discovers her Amish childhood friend, Joseph King, has escaped from prison. Kate, a former member of the Amish community herself, feels a great urgency to inject herself into the situation. King, imprisoned for killing his wife, kidnaps Kate and holes up in a house where his 5 children are living during his incarcer ...more
Sherri Thacker
This is the 6th book I've read by this author. I love all of Linda Castillo's book and this is no exception. This author does an excellent job of explaining things so you don't have to read the books in order to understand everything. I've always been fascinated with the Amish community and reading these books just makes me want to go visit one day. I want to read more books by Linda Castillo.
Donna
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
I've been enjoying this series by Linda Castillo. The setting to her stories is rich in Amish culture, but yet the plots aren't so rosy and innocent. I like the dark edge she puts into her plots. I think this one is my favorite one yet. I liked Kate's OCD nature in finding the truth and I also like Tomasetti; he is the strong silent type (who doesn't appreciate that in a man.)

One of the main reasons I enjoy this series is because the author does NOT feel the need to slap red bows on everything
Jess☺️
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Down a dark road is Kate Burkholder series book 9 and yes I'm going to say it again oh my god.
I really can not express any more how much better these books get everytime I pick up a new one I now have to wait until August for book 10 😭 (I can't wait)
This is another heart pounding, edge of your seat and your nerves are just shot to hell but this series is great fun and thrilling all at the same time I highly recommend this series 😀
Vicki
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, netgalley
“Down A Dark Road” is the ninth book in Linda Castillo’s Kate Burkholder Series of which I’ve read all but one. (And yes, I really need to do something about that soon!) I eagerly look forward to the release of each of Castillo’s books, so it’s not surprising that I jumped at the chance to review her latest novel. Some book series grow stale overtime, but that is not the case here.

The story opens in the now familiar setting of Painters Mill in the heart of Ohio’s Amish country. Chief of Police
Rita
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Down a Dark Road is the first book of this series that I have read but I intend to start from #1 and read the whole series. Kate Burkholder is one hell of a cop. In this book, Kate is trying to clear the name of her first crush, Joseph King. He was found guilty of the murder of his wife Naomi and sentenced to life in prison. Kate is notified of his escape from prison and she sets out to find him before anyone else can, to prevent him being killed.
She suspects he may be going to where his 5 child
Anne OK
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reads
It's the lingering sense of injustice that grates on my cop's sensibilities.
-- Sheriff Kate Burkholder, Down A Dark Road

Once again, suspense and murder strikes Painters Mill, Ohio.  And this reader couldn't be more excited!  I fell in love with this series from the first book.  Now it's one of my very favorites.  No need to worry if you haven't read the previous books in this extraordinary series.  The author eases you into the story with enough background so that you'll never feel lost or unabl
Anne Goldschrift
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5 Sterne
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
4.0 Stars
Another entertaining, fast-paced novel in the Kate Burkholder series. The mystery was somewhat guessable, but still an enjoyable reading experience. Sadly, I am now caught up with the most recent publication and have to wait impatiently for the next installment.
Tucker
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Down a Dark Road” is probably the most emotionally affecting and suspenseful book in the Kate Burkholder series, and then there are the pies!

I’ve read every book in Linda Castillo’s series about Painter’s Mill police chief Kate Burkolder and enjoyed them all. They provide a revealing view of the unique challenges of small town policing combined with thrilling plots with surprising twists. What I most appreciate about the series is learning more about the Amish culture. Kate was formerly Amish
Jeannie
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
4.5 I almost didn't want to finish this book because now I have to wait for the next one. This is my favorite series and the books just get better and better!
I look forward to the next one.
Highly recommend!
Maureen DeLuca
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A SOLID 4-4.5 star read , but because this is one of the best police /FBI procedure books out there , I'm putting it as a 5 star read. Sworn to Silence (Kate Burkholder, #1) by Linda Castillo is the first book in the Kate Burkholder series- If, for whatever reason you never picked up this series, start with book one and just keep on going. A great series done by an even greater author!!
Wendy
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this 9th book in Linda Castillo's "Kate Burkholder" series!
Susan Johnson
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gr-giveway
I received this book from a Good Reads giveaway which was exciting in itself. It's been 2 years since I won a book so I was excited.

I really like the Kate Burkholder series. Kate is the sheriff of Painted Mills, Ohio, right in the middle of Amish country. Kate is a former Amish so her knowledge of the culture and the language is a big help in her investigations. This is #9 in the series and involves her childhood friend, Joseph, who has escaped from prison where he is serving time for murdering
Manuela
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, thriller
Ennesimo romanzo della Castillo ben scritto e ben sviluppato. Abbiamo una Kate, forse per la prima volta, in seria difficoltà e, seppur in minima misura, dalla parte del torto, viene infatti messa seriamente in discussione nella sua professionalità, in un caso che la coinvolge personalmente. Soluzione forse poco incisiva, ma tutto torna, come sempre.
Laura/Mystery in Minutes
Please visit https://www.mysteryinminutes.com/revi... to read the complete MINM review.
Irresistibly atmospheric with the sights, sounds, and mouth-watering aromas of fictional Amish communities in northeastern Ohio, and the not-so-quaint mysterious and murderous happenings that find their way to these, otherwise, sleepy hamlets, Ms. Castillo has outdone herself with this latest installment - which can be read as a standalone - of the recommended Kate Burkholder series.
Fans of Amish Fic...: mystery writer 1 10 Jun 06, 2018 07:50AM

• Broken English (Ohio Amish Mystery, #2)
  • Return to Grace (Home Valley, #2)
  • Stranger in the Room (Keye Street #2)
  • The Coal Black Asphalt Tomb (Berger and Mitry, #10)
  • Hard Rain (Vin Cooper, #3)
  • White River Burning (Dave Gurney #6)
  • A Plain Death (Appleseed Creek, #1)
  • Suffer the Children (Gardiner and Renner #4)
  • Sulfur Springs (Cork O'Connor, #16)
  • Through the Evil Days (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #8)
  • Every Deadly Kiss (The Bowers Files: The New York Years #2)
  • The Guilty Dead (Monkeewrench, #9)
  • Like to Die: A McKenzie Novel (Twin Cities P.I. Mac McKenzie Novels Book 15)
  • The Night Stalker (Jack Carpenter #2)
  • Secrets of Harmony Grove
  • Downfall (Joanna Brady, #17)
  • Compound Murder (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #20)
  • Eleven Days
Linda Castillo is the New York Times bestselling author of the Kate Burkholder series, including Sworn to Silence and Gone Missing, crime thrillers set in Amish country. Sworn to Silence was recently adapted into a Lifetime original movie titled An Amish Murder starring Neve Campbell as Kate Burkholder.

Castillo is the recipient of numerous industry awards, including the Daphne du Maurier Award of

Kate Burkholder (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Sworn to Silence (Kate Burkholder, #1)
  • Pray for Silence (Kate Burkholder, #2)
  • Breaking Silence (Kate Burkholder, #3)
  • Gone Missing (Kate Burkholder, #4)
  • Her Last Breath (Kate Burkholder, #5)
  • The Dead Will Tell (Kate Burkholder, #6)
  • After the Storm (Kate Burkholder, #7)
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
  • A Gathering of Secrets (Kate Burkholder, #10)
  • Shamed (Kate Burkholder, #11)
“Anger is such a waste of time and energy. It takes a monumental effort,” 1 likes
“Thunder growled in the distance, a beast prowling the countryside, hungry and snuffling the air for blood. He crossed the wet grass of the side yard, traversed the sidewalk. It was the same track he’d taken a thousand times before. Tonight would be the last.” 0 likes