Start by marking “Nights of the Living Dead: An Anthology” as Want to Read:
Nights of the Living Dead: An Anthology

Nights of the Living Dead: An Anthology

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  369 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews
In 1968 the world experienced a brand new kind of terror with the debut of George A. Romero's landmark movie Night of the Living Dead. The newly dead rose to attack the living. Not as vampires or werewolves. This was something new...and terrifying. Since then, zombies have invaded every aspect of popular culture.

But it all started on that dreadful night in a remote farmhou
Published July 11th 2017 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Nights of the Living Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nights of the Living Dead

Karl
Jul 01, 2017 marked it as to-read
What sold me on this anthology were the new Joe R. Lansdale and Brian Keene stories.

Contents:

xiii - Acknowledgments
xv - Nights Of the Living Dead: An Introduction by George A. Romaro
xix - Reflections of a Weird Little Kid in a Condemned Movie House: An Introduction by Jonathan Maberry
001 - "Dead Mans Curve" by Joe R Lansdale
025 - "A Dead Girl Named Sue by Craig E Engler"
043 - "Fast Entry by Jay Bonansinga"
065 - "In That Quiet Earth" by Mike Carey
079 - "Jimmy Jay Baxter's Last Best Day on Eart
Marvin
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Filmmaker George A. Romero passed away on July 16th, 2017. To many people he was just another horror movie director but his influence in pop culture is much more than that. He transformed how we saw a specific concept and embedded it permanently into our collective consciousness. To compare, Romero was to zombies what Bram Stoker was to vampires and we will never go back to our old perceptions again. Before Romero, a zombie was depicted as a person who was controlled by another person, usually a ...more
Bogdan
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not a bad Anthology, but, for my tastes, there are very few stories that worth a reading.

From my point of view this is destined to be read by the fans of the genre.
Stephanie (That's What She Read)
4.5
I REALLY enjoyed this anthology. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. The zombie craze had just ended, and I thought I was done with them. I was wrong. These stories all take place in the world and setting of the Night of the Living Dead movie. I actually live near Evans City where the movie takes place, so it was so FUN to hear the names of nearby towns in the stories. I had a difficult time choosing favorites, but here they are:
A Dead Girl Named Sue by Craig E. Engler
Orbital Decay
Joyce
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I confess that zombies are not among my favorite horror creatures, but this collection of excellent short stories might change your mind if you're on the fence. What I appreciated about the collection is the introduction with material about film-maker Romero and the abundance of zombies in popular culture. Stefan Rudnicki introduces the collection and reads several stories, and his dark, often menacing, voice perfectly sets the tone in the beginning and in each story. Some authors read their own ...more
Becky Spratford
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review in Booklist and on blog: http://raforall.blogspot.com/2017/06/...
Andrew Sydlik
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
With a total of 18 stories set within the world of Night of the Living Dead, this anthology offers a great diversity of styles and twists on the zombie apocalypse. Some stories directly reference characters or events from the film, some obliquely reference Night, and others are completely independent stories set during the zombie outbreak that follow the same general zombie rules. Although an anthology like this may seem a bit tedious unless you are a hardcore zombie fanatic, it offers enough va ...more
Scott Rhee
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I'd have to say that while some of the stories in the "Nights of the Living Dead" anthology, edited by Jonathon Maberry and George Romero, are excellent (Mike Carey's "In That Quiet Earth", John Skipp's "Jimmy Jay Baxter's Last, Best Day on Earth", George Romero's "John Doe", and David J. Schow's "Williamson's Folly"), a majority of them are mediocre at best. One or two, at most, are total stinkers, but if you love the zombie genre, don't let that stop you from reading this fun anthology.

Each st
Paul ataua
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it
A fairly mixed bag of well written stories that explore many new angles of the zombie genre. I enjoyed reading this collection but felt the stories were, for the most part, more cerebral than visceral and that meant I was constantly imagining the action like a director realizing a movie rather than a participant living the terror. Curiously interesting, worth reading, but a finger pointing at the ghoul and not the ghoul itself.
Edward A. Taylor
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic stories and an awesome set of authors. Loved Keith R. A. Candido's tale the best, had all the things I was looking for in a zombie tale. Bravo to all!
Jay Smith
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As editor Jonathan Maberry points out in his introduction to the new anthology, Nights of the Living Dead (St. Martin’s Griffin; Trade; ISBN 1250112249), George A Romero’s groundbreaking 1968 film was a shock to people who had never seen anything quite like the unnamed monsters laying siege to an Evans City farmhouse. These creatures would go on to be called Zombies (Romero called them Ghouls) and start a trend that saturates media to this day. Books on the folklore and psychology of the living ...more
Colleen
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Randomly I brought this book with me to work on Sunday, and was midway through it, when heard the news that George Romero had died. I love the original 1968 movie and recently watched a documentary about it, and while looking for more Maberry short story anthologies stumbled upon this--aka perfect. All the stories are supposed to be set in the film universe (with a note from Romero that his 2007 Diary of the Dead is considered also within that timeline)--and Maberry says he and Romero (who co-ed ...more
Thomas Flowers
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I will say this, I burned through this book quickly. Lots of great stories to enjoy, I especially like the truck driver one "Dead Run" by Chuck Wendig. "Deadliner" by Shusterman was also entertaining. My favorite from this collection is a tie between "Snaggletooth," by Brallier---which worked like a zombie version of The Tell-Tale-Heart, and "Jimmy Jay Baxter's Last, Best Day on Earth" by John Skipp, even though the ending was very abrupt, it was devilishly fun.

Most of the others were good enou
Nannette
Nights of the Living Dead was an enjoyable anthology. George A. Romero contributed only one story but his influence is apparent in every story. This was a nice anthology and very even. The good stories greatly outnumbered the meh stories. I have included my thoughts on a few of the stories including the two introductions. The introduction by Romero is almost a class in cinema history, just incredible to listen to.

Night of the Living Dead: An Introduction by George A. Romero
Wonderful history of t
Dominic
This is a solid collection of stories inspired by one of the greatest horror movies of all time, Night of the Living Dead. If you go into the book with the spirit of the film and all of its awesomeness, then most of these stories will offer a pleasant horror reward worthy of the film. There are several intriguing premises and settings, a handful of truly twisted characters, and more gore per page than a full blown novel.

There are a few outstanding stories, with Isaac Marion's "Girl on the Table"
M.E.
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mixed bag

As with many short story anthologies, this one was a mixed bag. There were several excellent stories that, in my opinion, made the book worth reading but there were also some stories that were abysmally bad.

If the idea of short stories in the vein of “Night of the Living Dead” appeal to you, I’d recommend this book for the good stories it contains. It’s easy enough to skip the bad ones as you encounter them and there is enough good content to justify the time reading the book and the
Blair Hodgkinson
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror-zombies
As was true of the last Jonathan Maberry-edited horror anthology I read, this is an uneven mix. There are some very good stories to be found between the more numerous dull tales. All of the writers get credit for recreating the horrific zombie apocalypse world of George A. Romero's film Night Of The Living Dead. Not a waste of time; after all, this was the first time I ever heard of zombies on the International Space Station.
Andrey zz
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Сборник рассказов про зомби, в основном предсказуемых - вот зомби, они всех едят, сделать ничего нельзя, а нет, можно, вот мы надираем им задницы, а нет, все таки мы все умерли.
Но есть пара очень толковых и необычных рассказов.
Kitty
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pretty fun Shocktober reading. Recommended to those who feel like they've read all the halfway decent horror writing out there already.
SallyTheLibrarian
Poor, like a lot of modern anthologies. There were only 2 stories that kept my interest.
Kelly
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent anthology and homage to the grandaddy of the modern zombie genre as well as the film that started it all.
H.G. Gravy
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Coming into the anthology, I had high hopes. George A. Romero and John A. Russo adding stories to their universe is certainly a wonderful selling point. Tossing in some heavy weight horror authors like Chuck Wendig, David Wellington, Joe R. Lansdale, Mira Grant, Jonathan Maberry, John Skip, and Brian Keene into the mix, and you've got yourself a super sturdy lineup. On paper, this is a freakin' all-star cast. But in execution, it didn't quite work out.

Oftentimes anthologies are criticized for be
Kim Reynolds-Jolles
I really liked most of the stories. I think that I learned more about zombie history in the forward than I ever knew. Thank you George for making ghouls and zombies part of our lives.
Jonathan
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Ashley
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This was a really good collection of zombie stories by some of the best and well known participants (and creators!) of the zombie genre. I listened to the audio book and I think this is the best way to read it. They really went with it, the production of each story added so much to the vibe. It was also great to see other things that were happening in the world (well, mostly other parts of Pennsylvania) surrounding the events happening in Night of the Living Dead. One great story by Isaac Marion ...more
Cudeyo
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Antología de relatos que continúan la historia de un clásico del cine de terror y de zombies, precursor de todas las series que últimamente son tan populares como The Walking Dead, la gran película de George A. Romero "La noche de los muertos vivientes".

La lista de contenidos es la siguiente:

Nights of the Living Dead: An Introduction by George A. Romero

“Dead Man’s Curve” by Joe R. Lansdale
“A Dead Gir
Scott Martin
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are a fan of the zombie genre, and especially if you liked the original Night of the Living Dead, then this will be a great book to read/listen to. A combination of short stories set in various locations across the US, and in outer space, all occurring within 48 hours of the events chronicled in the movie, there are plenty of options for engaging tales. I found the best ones to be those that had direct tie-ins with the movie, from finding out what happened to Barbara and Johnny after they ...more
Corey
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I preordered Nights of the Living Dead, so it arrived on its release date, June 11, and was still sitting on my desk 5 days later when I saw the sad news of George Romero's passing. Reading the intro and short story that George provided for this anthology was a nice way to remember his contributions to pop culture and the horror genre. Having finished the entire volume now, I can attest that all of the stories within are good and well worth reading. Some of the standouts include David Wellington ...more
Kari
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, audiobook
In general, I'm not usually a zombie story fan. Even watching the movies, I have a hard time with because I don't like the lack of hopefulness. However, when I saw this come up on my library's Overdrive site, I figured I'd give it a shot. I like a lot of the authors in the anthology and I figured there had to be at least one good story.

I was pleasantly surprised as to how much I enjoyed this set of zombie tales. While I didn't love all of them, there really wasn't any one tale that I hated. Amo
Ian Cockerill
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Remarkably I started reading this in the week that George A Romero died. The guy literally invented the modern zombie genre - all those flesh eating undead ghouls come from his head - the tropes we all know about zombies - all him. Maberry is also a very good author, and has spent plenty of his literary time in Zombieland himself.
This is actually a really good anthology - set in the world of night of the living dead an awful lot of modern day horror writers were invited to play in the sandbox cr
JONATHAN MABERRY is a New York Times best-selling and five-time Bram Stoker Award-winning author, anthology editor, comic book writer, magazine feature writer, playwright, content creator and writing teacher/lecturer. He was named one of the Today’s Top Ten Horror Writers. His books have been sold to more than two-dozen countries.

He writes in several genres. His young adult fiction includes ROT &a

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
    $15.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth Avenue Artists Society
  • All That's Left of Me
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Celestine Prophecy (Celestine Prophecy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Palm Trees in the Snow
  • Mary
  • A Map of the World
    $14.99 $2.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)