Start by marking “What Goes Up” as Want to Read:
What Goes Up

What Goes Up

Action-packed and wildly funny, this near-future sci-fi features three teens on an inter-dimensional mission to save the world.

Rosa and Eddie are among hundreds of teens applying to NASA’s mysterious Multi-World Agency. After rounds of crazy-competitive testing they are appointed to Team 3, along with an alternate, just in case Eddie screws up (as everyone expects he will)
Published July 18th 2017 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

To ask other readers questions about What Goes Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Goes Up

Jen Ryland
I really enjoyed Katie Kennedy's first book and I loved this one as well.
At first, What Goes Up felt like a crazy, intergalactic Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, with a group of teens competing for spots on the Interworlds Agency, a division of NASA that deals with the exploration of parallel universes with intelligent life. The competition was fierce, filled with psychological tests and intelligence tests and logic tests and stress tests. I loved that part.

Then, just as the testing is windin
Dayle (the literary llama)
REVIEW: I received this book from Bloomsbury Publishing in exchange for an honest review.

I absolutely loved Katie Kennedy's first book LEARNING TO SWEAR IN AMERICA when I read it last year. Definitely one of my favorite Young Adult books of the year, I still recommend it to people. So of course I jumped and begged for the chance to read Kennedy's newest book WHAT GOES UP. And while I didn't love it as much as her first book, it was still and fun and fast read that's perfect for easy Summer days.
Samantha (WLABB)
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
What if there was a another Earth out there, where another you lived? That was the idea behind the fictional Multi-World Agency, and they were looking for the best and the brightest to become Team 3 at the agency. This search brought all the top teens in the nation to Iowa, where they had to battle for a spot on the team, and remain to prepare for future missions. However, with the arrival of an alien spacecraft, that mission may have come sooner than expected.

This was a really fun adventure! I
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, physical-2017
I enjoyed this so much!! I never thought I'd like science books but Katie makes. Me want to read more. I cannot wait to write my review.

Huge thanks to the publisher for sending me an arc for review!!

---
Review can be found here: https://agingerlyreview.wordpress.com...

After reading Katie Kennedy's debut novel, Learning To Swear In America, I knew I found a new favorite author. I normally am not the biggest fan of science books but Katie has made me change my tune.

Short recap: Rosa and Eddie are
Cassandra (Thebookishcrypt)
*ARC provided by Bloomsbury in exchange for an honest review*
"For everything that went up, something had to come down. Eddie just didn't know why the thing that went down was always him."
This was the first book I've read by Katie Kennedy and I'm glad to say that I consumed it like there was no tomorrow. I even debated whether sleep and work were important enough to make myself stop reading. I admit, I was extremely nervous before diving into this book. For one, I am not one that is interested in
Madison
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Katie Kennedy has once again combined humour and science in this delightful book. What Goes Up is absolutely hilarious and completely refreshing, yet also draws upon some more serious themes.

I so enjoyed reading this book and I know it is quickly becoming a favourite of our young readers also. I can't wait to read what Katie Kennedy writes next, it is sure to be just as wonderful and funny as What Goes Up.
Jaye Berry
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, cover-love, sci-fi
I was really rooting for this book and thought it could at least make it to three stars but then in the moment of "how do we shut this thing off??" a dude whipped it out and peed on it lol bye.

What Goes Up is about two teenagers applying to a mysterious division of NASA. After multiple rounds of competitive testing, Rosa and Eddie are among the top from the hundreds of hopefuls, with an alternate for Eddie in case he messes up. What they never expected were aliens from another dimension showing
Jonah Lisa Dyer
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Buy this book. It's light, fast-paced, near-future Science Fiction with well-rounded characters and very sharp, funny writing. In other words, the perfect summer read. I loved it. The way the Katie Kennedy blends science, philosophy & humor is so freaking entertaining I just can't get enough. It was like an amazing mashup between ARRIVALS & ENDER'S GAME but mirrored in an alternate universe where all the scientists have a wicked sense of humor.
katayoun Masoodi
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, ya, science-fiction
3 1/2, Fun and enjoyable, very fun and very enjoyable
Jordan
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
STEM GIRLS. Girls who are smart, own their intelligence like a badge of honor, and are proud of who they are. Rosie is a genius and she knows it. She has worked hard to gain her chance at NASA and despite the claims that it’s because of her famous science-y parents, that’s far from the case. Rosie is a clever problem solver who has the quick wit and innovative mind to solve even the craziest of problems. On top of that, she’s one of the bravest, most selfless characters I’ve seen in a long, long ...more
Lindsay (LindsayHWrites)
What Goes Up, by Katie Kennedy, tells the story of a girl named Rosa Hayashi and Eddie Toivonen as they each attempt to become one of the two people that make up a new NASA team designed to explore and find aliens.

I’m not sure if the writing style is my absolute favorite, as the descriptive words are a little rare. But at the same time, those that are included are funny or metaphors I’ve never seen before, so I’m fairly impressed as far as those are concerned. I’m not someone who enjoys paragrap
Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Books)
I like books about smart kids. The characters in this book were A+, and somehow this author makes sciencey stuff interesting to me. BUT I definitely didn't like it as much as her debut novel. I wanted way more explanations (and not about the technical stuff-- about the PEOPLE) and maybe a tad less action.
Lisa
Apr 02, 2017 rated it liked it
You will definitely need to suspend your disbelief for this story. I loved the energy and mystery of the first part of the book, but the second half fizzled a bit in its delivery and dialogue.

Still a solid science fiction read.
Dayla
I went into this book wary because I love speculative fiction and this sounded like the type of book I might enjoy, but it also had a so-so rating. I've learned in the past to not be too hyped up for a book that has a synopsis that somehow meets a bunch of my requirements for a good book.

Tip: Always read at least the first page or chapter before giving up on a book simply because of the rating.

I'm so glad I picked this up and the only reason it took me so long to finish was because I was readin
Esther Hungerford
OHMYGOSHTHISBOOKTHISBOOKWASSOGOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *insert squeal* this book was so good that good doesn't even begin to describe it!
Okay so, um. It's really hard to review books that you've liked this much so. Here's my best shot.

1.) the beginning is actually great. "NASA stored the future in a hangar in Iowa. Rosa Hayashi's future, anyway." <- MASTER writing there. It gives us input on how dedicated Rosa is, and just how determined she is to succeed. Although the switching between the focu
Margot Harrison
I want to hang out with Katie Kennedy's characters. They're unapologetically smart, but never obnoxiously arrogant; they're vulnerable and believable; they're FUNNY. It's not easy to strike a good balance between SF, coming-of-age themes and comedy, but this book does it. Even when the plot gets fast-paced and action-packed and concept-driven, there are always meaningful personal stakes.

The book's cool concept (testing to explore the multiverse!) made it a page turner from the beginning, because
Lori
I'm a little bummed by this because I really enjoyed Kennedy's debut last year and was excited for another science-fiction YA filled with fun humor from her. But this one fell a little flat for me. I liked the characters and the beginning with the testing was actually pretty interesting but once that was over and then the conflict happened, it really dropped off after that. It felt like the second part of the story was just a bit wandering and where I would expect to get a little bit more depth ...more
Lisa
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
If you enjoyed The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart, I guarantee you will love this book!

We follow a group of students as they try to gain acceptance into a special NASA training program. The testing they go through is a ton of fun to read and try to guess what they will do.

Eddie is a tough guy who was raised by his grandma. His dad is as bad as they come. He has to work harder than anyone else to prove his worth, even though he just might be the best person for the job.

Rosa ha
Kathy MacMillan
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another earth out there somewhere, with someone just like you, only a little different – that’s the intriguing premise behind this twisty and fun sci-fi romp. The story opens with a series of tests, both obvious and hidden, as high school students Rosa and Eddie, each haunted in different ways by a parent’s legacy, compete to become the newest specialists to train with the Interstellar Agency, in charge of contact with other dimensions. As she did in Learning to Swear in America, Kennedy blends ...more
Isabel
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not my fave. However, my 14 y.o. daughter fond it entertaining, so I'll chalk it up to the fact that I'm not in the age group of the intended audience.

What it has going for it: modest representation of diverse characters. Good amount of science and math incorporated into an adventure story. Mild romance. Themes of friendship and overcoming adversity.

What made it lame (for me): it pales by comparison to other stories that developed similar concepts. It lacks the intensity, complexity, and moral
Marianne Robin-Tani
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Blast off on this funny adventure about three teens who are accepted into NASA's program to search for and contact intelligent life on other planets. Their strange and rigorous training breaks through the facades they show to the world, and they learn to work together while revealing their deepest and darkest secrets to each other. The unreality of the reality of this book is hilarious. The well-drawn diverse characters are smart and deal with involving problems well rooted in today's world.
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Mandy C.
Cover Story: Upside Down
BFF Charm: Single White Female
Swoonworthy Scale: 3
Talky Talk: Science Fiction
Bonus Factors: Alternate Dimensions, Coach Taylor Award
Relationship Status: One and Done

Read the full book report here.
P.M.
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! The three main characters - Eddie, Rosa, and Trevor - were fantastic. I loved the dialogue and the humor and found myself chuckling as I read it.I hope this author writes more books since I also loved Learning to Swear in America.
Pauline
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Scientific, diverse, funny, flirty, quirky - ticks a lot of boxes as a great teen read.
Tasman Kekai
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great, exciting read. The teens are realistic and relatable! It's also really funny. I loved this and can't wait to read more by Katie!
Bethany
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
My 6-year-old stepson chose this for me, and kept asking how it was until I actually read it. I was pleasantly surprised! It was fast-paced, exciting, and full of science (fiction).
Owen
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Eddie has nothing to lose. After he wins his place in NASA's Interworlds Agency, he can lose everything. I like this book because of it's tension, climax, and the problems it brings up. The only problem was that in the beginning two characters' perspectives were being told at once, so it could be confusing what one was thinking about the other. An awesome sci-fi read!
Chrissy
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Loved it! Lots of humor. Does it require a certain suspension of disbelief? Of course - it's both YA and sci-fi. But it was great fun - I rooted for the heroes and booed at the villains and still managed to learn a little science. I love when smart is valued in YA books.
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
4.5 stars!

Last year, Kennedy’s debut Learning to Swear in America utterly charmed me. It was cute, funny, and driven by a strong first person voice. Add in some romance, and you’ve got a classic Christina book. What Goes Up has all those elements but ramps up the humor and gets even more science fiction-y. Pick this book up if you want an unputdownable, uproarious, action-packed delight. And, like, why wouldn’t you?

Unlike her debut, What Goes Up is in third person, but the characterization doesn
Megan Stallings
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
What Goes Up is an interesting sci-fi novel by Katie Kennedy. It was first published in July of 2017. Kennedy is best known for her book Learning to Swear in America. What Goes Up started fast and kept that pace throughout the story which maintained my excitement as the book progressed. The imagery allowed me to easily imagine the settings and create vivid pictures in my mind. The actions scenes were written clearly and easy to follow. The book was incredibly exciting and creative. I highly reco ...more

• Timeless: Diego and the Rangers of the Vastlantic (Timeless, #1)
  • Found
  • The Rift
  • The Undercurrent
  • Jane Doe and the Cradle of All Worlds (Jane Doe Chronicles #1)
  • The Fall
  • The Revenge of Eli Monpress (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #4-5)
  • Rebels Rising (Rebel Mechanics, #3)
  • Jinxed (Jinxed, #1)
  • Shatter the Suns (Last Star Burning, #2)
  • Outwalkers
  • Night Witches
  • These Vengeful Souls (These Vicious Masks, #3)
  • Wilder Country (Winter, #2)
  • Edgeland
  • The Foretelling of Georgie Spider (The Tribe, #3)
  • MARTians
  • Light Years (Light Years, #1)
“The smart people aren't always good," Reg said heavily, "so the good people have to be smart.” 0 likes
“If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.” 0 likes