Jump to ratings and reviews

Maeve Kerrigan #7

Let the Dead Speak

When eighteen-year-old Chloe Emery returns to her West London home she finds her mother missing, the house covered in blood. Everything points to murder, except for one thing: there’s no sign of the body.

London detective Maeve Kerrigan and the homicide team turn their attention to the neighbours. The ultra-religious Norrises are acting suspiciously; their teenage daughter and Chloe Emery definitely have something to hide. Then there’s William Turner, once accused of stabbing a schoolmate and the neighborhood’s favorite criminal. Is he merely a scapegoat, or is there more behind the charismatic façade?

As a body fails to materialize, Maeve must piece together a patchwork of testimonies and accusations. Who is lying, and who is not? And soon Maeve starts to realize that not only will the answer lead to Kate Emery, but more lives may hang in the balance.

With Let the Dead Speak, Jane Casey returns with another taut, richly drawn novel that will grip readers from the opening pages to the stunning conclusion.

352 pages, Hardcover

First published July 25, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Jane Casey

32 books1,863 followers
She studied English at Jesus College, Oxford, followed by an mPhil in Anglo-Irish Literature at Trinity College, Dublin

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
85 (1%)
1 star
16 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 596 reviews
Profile Image for Julie .
4,001 reviews58.9k followers
September 14, 2017
Let the Dead Speak by Jane Casey is a 2017 Minotaur Books publication.

This series just may be nearing perfection-

I’ve been following this series from the beginning and it’s been an incredible journey. The series started off as a solid procedural, but over time has developed into a deeply complex and compelling crime drama.

In this seventh installment, we see Maeve enjoying a new promotion, which gives her more incentive to solve what turns out to be one of her most puzzling cases to date.

When Chloe leaves her scheduled visitation with her father and his new family, before her scheduled departure time, she arrives home to a house of horrors. Blood is everywhere, but her mother’s body is nowhere to be found.

Chloe is placed with a neighbor whose daughter, Bethany, is her closest friend. The girls are thick as thieves, harboring teenage secrets no one could guess at.

But, Chloe, is an unusual girl, her mother having kept her far too sheltered, which gives her a certain vulnerability due to her isolation, making her a little difficult to draw out, even for Maeve.

The suspects are plentiful, with religious zealots, shady neighbors, and Chloe’s step family all holding explosive secrets or playing their own angles.

Maeve is once again partnered with DI Josh Derwent and the pair has now relaxed into a working rhythm, although one doesn’t entirely trust the other. But, they have the added complication of dealing with a rookie who is ambitious, but annoying.

Maeve takes professional risks, walks an ethical tightrope at times, but has grown stronger, gained more self-confidence and has begun to win the battle over many of the demons that plague her.

There is a softer side to Josh, whose personal life as drastically changed, but on the job he is the same guy we all know and love- or hate- or both.

This case is one wild twisted ride, with darker psychological tones to go along with the standard police procedures. The atmosphere was tense right from the get-go and never let up, only intensifying as the case takes some shocking unexpected turns.

The ending nearly knocked my socks off. If this one doesn’t send a chill down your spine, I don’t know what will!!

I have really enjoyed watching this series develop. It has slowly turned into one of my favorite British procedurals. The stories become more tense, more complex, and riveting, as time goes by, and characters continue to grow and develop along with the storylines, keeping the dialogue and dynamics fresh and sharp.

This may be one of the best in the series to date! (I know, I think I said that about the last book, too, but they keep getting better and better!) Highly recommend!

Profile Image for Mary Beth .
380 reviews1,614 followers
July 30, 2017

This is the seventh book in the Maeve Kerrigan Series. I got this on Netgalley and had to get it since I have been wanting to start this series. I loved this book and will now start at book one. This is going to be a fantastic series. I think this book can be read as a stand alone. I was never lost in the story. This book had me hooked from the very beginning to the end. The book was full of twists and turns that had me on the edge of my seat. The storyline was fabulous and it would make a wonderful movie. What appears at first to be a classic case of a bloody and vicious murder turns into much more. Child abuse, fraud, blackmail, all appear as the plot unfolds.

Chloe leaves early from her Father's house, to return home to her Mother Kate's. She is offered a lift from the station by her friend Bethany's father. Chloe opens her front door and finds before her a scene of carnage. Blood splatters the walls and carpet. When DS Maeve Kerrigan arrives at the scene, Chloe is immediately removed from the house, deep in shock, she is sent across the road to stay with her religious neighbours the Norris's. With her colleague Josh Derwent to assist, Maeve begins a thorough search of the bloodied house.
It is clearly the scene of a horrific murder. But where on earth is Kate's body? And more importantly who has killed her? This is what Maeve and her team has to find out.

I thought the characters were very well developed. I really liked Maeve Kerrigan. She is good at her job, she works well with her colleagues, but she is a little inclined to rush in without thinking things through. Her role as a mentor to a new graduate recruit was an interesting element of this book, and I enjoyed the development of her working relationship with Josh Derwent. Add to the mix a rookie DC who gets right on Kerrigan's nerves and you have all the perfect ingredients for a brilliantly investigated crime story. I found this to be a very gripping read.

I recommend this book to those that love a great thriller.

I want to thank Netgalley, the publisher and Jane Casey for the copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Maureen .
1,328 reviews7,102 followers
October 11, 2021
The novel opens with Chloe Emery arriving home unexpectedly after staying with her Father and Stepmother. Chloe finds the house covered in blood, and her mother Kate absent. Maeve Kerrigan is sent to investigate the case and quickly suspects that Chloe knows more than she’s revealed to the police. It soon turns out that Kate Emery, like so many fictional characters has a lot of hidden secrets, which we as readers learn over the course of the novel.

Widely perceived by others as having learning difficulties, and inability to cope on her own; we learn that Chloe is actually very capable, however it suits others for Chloe to be financially and personally dependent.

The characters were well depicted, especially Maeve, her colleague Georgia Shaw, her boss Una Burt as well as Chloe and her mother Kate. The reader becomes totally absorbed by the plot, swiftly turning the pages, keen to find out what was going to happen next.

It is remarkably well written, and it avoids the clichés that are often present in police procedurals and most crucially can be read as a stand-alone.
Profile Image for Paromjit.
2,543 reviews24.6k followers
August 15, 2017
This is a seriously twisted police procedural in the Maeve Kerrigan series. In a middle class Putney neighborhood in London, an 18 year old upset Chloe Emery returns home early after visiting her father and his second family. Awaiting her is a scene that bewilders her, the cat has been locked in, and the home is a blood spattered crime scene of murder, but no body. It is assumed her mother, Kate Emery, is the murdered victim whose body was removed. The newly promoted DS Maeve Kerrigan is on the case where nothing is as it seems. The learning challenged Chloe is taken in by neighbour Ollie Norris and his family, he is a member of an evangelical church with a strong emphasis on traditional values and on how a woman's role is to support and obey her husband. Chloe is close to the Norris's 15 year old daughter, Bethany, a strictly brought up and bright girl. Chloe is not talking, and a frustrated Maeve and the police team have to rely on their own investigations that reveal the secret life of Kate and all those she knew.

There are some really compellingly obnoxious characters in the novel that include the violent and hypocritical Ollie, his nasty but charming, good for nothing, brother, Morgan, a scheming, mean, wicked and ghastly stepmother, Belinda, and her spoilt, arrogant, over-privileged and entitled sons. There is the local bad boy, William Turner, with a fearful reputation. Maeve has been burdened with the responsibility of mentoring DC Georgia Shaw, an over confident and irritating woman with her eye on moving up the ladder as fast as possible. Not surprisingly, Maeve does not like Georgia, and it is not long before Georgia's shortcomings in the job become apparent but Maeve continues to support her. Kate's life leads the police down a myriad of confusing paths that make finding the truth ever more elusive. In the meantime, Chloe and Bethany disappear sparking a police hunt.The maverick DI Josh Derwent continues to be an intriguing, complex and close personal friend and professional colleague to Maeve as they find themselves in dangerous territory.

This is an impressively plotted story with a number of red herrings, and packed with a raft of twists. The narrative is gripping, tense and full of suspense. However, it is Jane Casey's expert and skilful characterisations that drives the novel. Even where the characters seem to have little in the way of redeeming features, they are never less than complex and compelling. Maeve's personal life which has been an arid arena since Rob left, has her in limbo as she puts her faith in him returning, her fantasy is cruelly shattered as she becomes aware of the truth. This is a great read that I found entertaining and enjoyable. Highly recommended. Thanks to HarperCollins for an ARC.
Profile Image for Susan - on semi hiatus.
410 reviews111 followers
September 12, 2021
Detective Sergeant Maeve Kerrigan has just been promoted and is navigating the hierarchy of her fellow officers while searching for a killer among the victim’s sketchy neighbors. It’s NOT a good day in this neighborhood. Or her workplace for that matter.

This police procedural is number seven in the series and incorporates an investigation with colorful characters. I love the off the wall types - they give a book so much flavor in my opinion.

My introduction to Maeve began with The Cutting Place, which unknown to me, was number nine. I read it as a stand alone as I sometimes do with series books and thought it was superb. I recognise that most readers like to go through all the books in order, but I’ve discovered that although I loved one in the middle, it doesn’t mean I'll feel the same about the others. So, I read the most interesting sounding book first.

Maeve and and her fellow detectives caught fire with me and have embedded themselves in my reading repertoire. I look forward to number ten and those behind that I’ve missed.

Thank you to my local library for the opportunity to read this.
Profile Image for Purple Country Girl (Sandy).
150 reviews23 followers
February 28, 2017

Thanks so much to HarperCollins, Netgalley and Jane Casey for the opportunity to read an e-ARC of Let the Dead Speak in exchange for an honest review.

Let the Dead Speak is the seventh book in the Maeve Kerrigan series by Jane Casey. It’s my first time reading this series but being unfamiliar with it did not stop me from devouring the book. It did, however, make me wish I’d read a few others first for a little background information. Casey gives the reader a very good impression of all her main characters and they are a pretty interesting lot, all unique with meat on their bones but previous books would help me to understand the complicated relationship between Maeve and Derwent. There is also a past incident referred to several times that led to the death of a fellow officer and it has affected Maeve in more ways than one and I really want to know the details.

None of that affects how much I enjoyed Let the Dead Speak. I was hooked from page one. For one thing, it feels very authentic. Also, I really like Maeve and her first person POV. She’s a great character and I like getting inside her head. She’s a bit uncomfortable with her new place on the team - as a newly promoted Detective Sergeant. I also like the humor that Casey weaves throughout the book. There were actually some LOL moments. All the characters are complex and nicely fleshed out. The pace is quick with good dialogue and plot twists galore.

Maeve’s first case as DS is definitely a strange one. When eighteen year old Chloe Emery returns home early from a visit with her father and her stepfamily, she finds the house she shares with her mother, Kate, on Valerian Road covered in blood. There is no sign of her mother, living or dead. Her neighbor, Oliver Norris, calls the police as Chloe has some mental challenges and is not quite grasping what has happened. The house and surrounding area are searched but there is no sign of Kate. The amount of blood makes it seem unlikely that Kate could have survived the attack and the police begin investigating the case as murder with Maeve and Detective Inspector Josh Derwent taking the lead with Detective Constable Georgia Shaw, a rather irritating individual, assisting.

Maeve knows Chloe has answers but she cannot get Chloe to talk to her. Her neighbors, the Norris family, have grudgingly taken her in and it is hard to get through to Chloe because of the ultra-religious Norris clan but their fifteen year old daughter, Bethany, who is Chloe’s best friend, is a major hindrance as well. She is openly hostile towards Maeve and does not cooperate when questioned. She and Chloe are suspiciously close-mouthed, obviously hiding something from everyone. Oliver’s brother, Morgan, is a seedy character as is their reverend friend Gareth Selhurst. Maeve is pointed in the direction of a young man who lives on Valerian Road named William Turner, who was arrested for stabbing his best friend but the charges were dropped when the alleged victim claimed repeatedly that William was innocent. The neighborhood still believes he is an attempted murderer and are happy to steer the detectives in his direction.

Complications spin the case onto another possible avenue when it is indicated that the reason Chloe came home earlier than expected is due to some unwanted “attention” from her stepbrother. They find Chloe’s stepmother is a domineering, unpleasant woman who is not a particular fan of Chloe or her mother. Chloe’s father, who is a successful businessman, is fairly meek around his wife. The stepbrothers, especially the oldest, are nasty, spoiled brats. The detectives do not have the warm fuzzies after meeting with them.

With so many possible suspects and with the realization that there were some dirty secrets in Kate’s closet, Maeve and the murder squad have their hands full of a lot suspicious people who will not talk. If Maeve can get one person to talk and give her a small piece of the puzzle, the rest will fall into place but it proves a difficult task.

Let the Dead Speak is a fantastic police procedural that pulls you in a many different directions but not just in possible motives and culprits. It made me laugh and it made me cringe. It made me angry and it made me sad. It made me want to comfort some characters and throttle others (I’m definitely looking at you, Georgia - I think a lot of us have encountered a Georgia-like individual). Everything from the characters to the procedure to the office politics feels very real. Casey’s such a great writer, infusing her story with so much tension that it is hard to put down.

I highly recommend this wonderfully complex and suspenseful novel to anyone who loves a good mystery with loads of twists and some great characters - and with a satisfying ending.
Profile Image for Debra .
2,201 reviews34.9k followers
June 29, 2017

This is my first time reading Jane Casey but it will not be my last! Let the Dead speak is the 7th book in the Maeve Kerrigan series but worked perfectly as a stand alone novel for me. I did not feel as if I was missing anything by not having read the first 6 books in this series. Having said that, I will definitely be going back and reading the previous books! I love a good mystery and this one was done brilliantly. There are several possible suspects. All of them could have committed murder. At differing points during the novel, I thought I knew who the killer was and why. Casey kept me guessing up until the end. I found her story to be intricately woven.

Let the dead speak begins when Chloe arrives home to find blood in her West London home. Her Mother is missing but the amount of blood found at the scene leaves police to believe that her Mother, Kate is no longer alive. She has been given a ride home by her ultra-religious neighbor, Oliver "Ollie" Norris who also enters the home after her realizes that Chloe has left her bag in his car. Chloe had abruptly left her father's home after an "incident" and fight with her step-mother. Why did she come home so early and why did someone leave water for the cat?

Maeve Kerrigan is called in to investigate and quickly begins interviewing Chloe, the neighbors, and Maeve's ex-husband's family. It is quickly evident that there is more going on in this story than meets the eye. The Norris family is creepy and weird. Their 15 year old daughter, Bethany has a close relationship with 18 year old Chloe. Maeve attempts to get Chloe to answers questions and it becomes evident that Chloe has some "learning" difficulties and is not also not being forth-coming about why she left her father's home. Oliver and his brother Morgan are not likable and both come off as bullies. Oliver wants everyone to think he is nice but he quickly shows his true colors. Morgan is nasty from the get-go and high on the suspect list. Oliver is quick to point his finger at a troubled young man in the neighborhood. Could he have been the killer?

As the investigations continues, relationships, secret relationships, motivations and assaults become know. Questions remain and as the investigation continues both Bethany and Chloe disappear. Where are the girls? Have they been kidnapped? Have they run away? Is the same person responsible for their disappearance as the person who "murdered" Chloe's mother?

I wont say anything else about the plot except that this book was a very enjoyable read. I was captivated from page one when Chloe entered the home and was very happy with the revelations during the epilogue. 4.5 stars because I enjoyed the story so much. There are plot twists and turns. They all seem plausible and were pulled off brilliantly. This book is not overly thought provoking but it is extremely enjoyable. Anyone who loves a good mystery will enjoy this book. I was not disappointed (and neither will you be!).

I received a copy of this book form St. Martins Press Minotaur Books and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

See more of my reviews at www.openbookpost.com
Profile Image for Liz Barnsley.
3,405 reviews989 followers
February 6, 2017
I just want it to be known that Jane Casey is now forgiven for making me wait over a year for this (how did I COPE) because it was worth the wait (and then some) it turns out that delayed gratification really is a thing. Just to be clear I’d rather really that she wrote a book a week but we can’t have everything in life. Never mind.

ANYWAY Let The Dead Speak then – another outing for Maeve and Derwent (swoon) and of course all the rest, much as I adore the main pair the group dynamic over the course of the novels has ingrained itself on my brain, in fact this time it was Chris Pettifer who made me snort a giggle with a throwaway comment that happened to mirror exactly what I was thinking in that moment. But I digress…

In this instalment a young girl arrives home unexpectedly to find her house covered in blood and her mother gone. A murder enquiry is launched even with the lack of a body. Derwent is back from holiday, meanwhile Maeve is fretting her new power and responsibility whilst dealing with a incomer who doesn’t seem terribly useful. The neighbours are all a bit barmy, everyone is hiding something, so you know. Best get untangling that mess then which is exactly what our guys set out to do. Things are going to be somewhat fraught. WELL it wouldn’t be any fun if they solved it CSI style in an hour would it?

Look what I love about this particular series is the intensely absorbing writing with it’s ironically humerous undertones and the characters that do almost literally live off the page. I honestly have to remember sometimes that they are all fictional, not just those we see every time but anyone caught up in the current investigation. Jane Casey has a character writing superpower, nobody does it better. And I do mean nobody.

Added to that the plotting is so gorgeously realistic and tightly drawn that you never disbelieve any of it. TWISTED too, I do love a good twisty tale and this one had that in spades, especially with reference to some of the personal relationships and goings on. The emotional trauma is in there too, fair warning given, every time I go into a new Kerrigan novel I say SHE WON’T GET ME AGAIN but every time. Bam. Dammit!

I’m not going to say this is the best one yet because I always say that and whilst it may even be true, that is not the point. The point is that this series is consistently of the highest quality and improving ever more with age – Let The Dead Speak is simply one more pearl in an oyster bed chock full of them, it stole my Saturday (I love a good book thief) and I was happily immersed for the entire journey. Never one for backing off from the thought provoking occasionally controversial central themes, always moving her series characters forward and enveloping the reader more into their world, for me Jane Casey is the cream of the crop of UK crime writers. I look forward to each new novel with the fervour of a true believer and I have never once been let down. Not even for a moment, not even with a word.

On a personal note my love for Derwent STILL knows no bounds. Also a new respect developed for Una Burt during this read. I kind of like her. Mainly because I think Maeve really does too. YES I KNOW they are not real…

Sharp, clever, nuanced writing with a truly addictive flair and a deeply delicious dark heart.

HIGHLY recommended.
Profile Image for Gary.
2,590 reviews364 followers
March 25, 2017
I have been a fan of both author Jane Casey and the Maeve Kerrigan series for some time so when I had the opportunity to read the latest instalment, I couldn't wait. One thing I like about this author is that she is so consistently good and this book proved to be up to the same high standard.
In this latest story 18 year old Chloe Emery discovers her mother missing from her West London home with the house covered in blood. Everything points to murder but there is no sign of a body.

Detective Maeve Kerrigan and her team investigate the neighbours and discover some very suspicious characters. With no body the investigation proves to be far from straight forward and Maeve tries to decide who is lying in an effort to discover the truth.

This is an excellent series and although the books can be read as one offs, I like that having read them in order from the very start I have got to know the characters better and any subplots make perfect sense. I would highly recommend both this author and this series of books.

I would like to thank Net Galley and Harper Collins UK for supplying a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.
September 16, 2017
Having read most of the Maeve Kerrigan novels I am a huge admirer of Jane Casey’s talents which have grown in terms of both consistency and plotting prowess. Maeve’s first person narrative as the case unfolds, complete with asides on her colleagues and a frequently acerbic humour brings an edgy realism to Casey’s writing. As part of the Metropolitan Police Murder Investigation Team, the dynamic between Maeve and the frequently obnoxious bad boy of the team, DI Josh Derwent, has been a regular feature of the series. The continual evolution of the relationship always adds a razor-sharp bite to the narrative, for DI Josh Derwent likes nothing more than provoking a reaction and prying into Maeve’s personal life! However, newly-promoted DS Kerrigan comes to the fore in Let The Dead Speak, assuming new responsibilities and finally stepping away from Derwent’s shadow. As much as I enjoy the repartee between Maeve and Derwent, it is great to see Casey continuing to develop her recurring characters and perhaps that is the reason why this novel feels so well suited to being read and throughly enjoyed as a standalone. With Maeve’s relationship status in the doldrums and lonely nights in her flat she energetically throws herself into her new role as a DS And this case is a real slippery fish to attempt to unravel.. particularly without a body to even start with…

A wet, Sunday afternoon in Putney and a clearly fretful eighteen-year-old Chloe Emery arrives back home unexpectedly, having cut short her stay with father, Brian, and stepmother, Belinda. Flustered as she enters her home, she finds it covered in blood and with no sign of her forty-two-year-old mother, Kate. With enough blood to be indicative of a murder, but no body to corroborate this, acting Superintendent DCI Una Burt decides to investigate on the presumption of murder, with establishing the whereabouts of Kate Emery of primary importance. Who can have wanted Kate Emery dead and why? DS Maeve Kerrigan, an intelligent detective with real compassion hits the ground running, whilst still not feeling fully comfortable with her new found rank and questioning her ability. The situation isn’t improved by the ‘assistance’ of strikingly self-possessed fast-track graduate, DC Georgia Shaw, who has an abundance of confidence and a dislike of routine legwork. In short, DC Shaw is a liability and both unsure in the field and opening her mouth before she thinks, it doesn’t take her too long to frustrate potential ally, DS Kerrigan.

Despite being begrudgingly given shelter at the evangelical and ultra religious Norris home, attitudes are mixed towards Chloe’s residence, with the adults clearly at pains to point out how simple and emotionally immature she is. In Chloe Emery, DS Kerrigan meets a young woman who is anxious but very reluctant to speak, shielded by truculent fifteen-year-old friend, Bethany Norris and confused as to what has happened to her mother. Initial enquiries soon reveal to Maeve the mix of odious characters that reside in Valerian Road, SW15 a location that smacks of middle-class affluence. Oliver and Eleanor Norris appear the epitome of the pious and obedient religious zealots, keen to preach and welcome sinners to “hear God’s words” as members of The Church of Modern Apostles. “Supported” in their time of crisis by church leader and preacher, Gareth Selhurst, temporary resident and cocksure brother of Oliver, Morgan Norris, seems very content to stand aside and smirk. However, as Maeve attempts to learn more about Kate Emery’s life and her daughters situation, the Norrises are keen to point out resident troublemaker, twenty-year-old William Turner and his investigated involvement in a stabbing incident four-years previously. And that is before enquiries even move onto other areas of Kate Emery’s life... Ex-husband, Brian, is domineered by new wife, Belinda, who makes clear her dislike of Kate and implies she has made Chloe dependent and used her as an excuse to extract more financial support from Brian, all of which is evidenced by several child development specialists who simply viewed Kate as a suffocating mother. With no shortage of unreliable witnesses (downright liars!) all keen to keep their own involvement secret and with facts in short supply, Let The Dead Speak, becomes a page-turning character study with a triple whammy of twists! Readers will be punch drunk by the time Jane Casey pulls out all the stops, staggering her revelations cleverly for maximum explosive impact. Casey’s characters are never stereotypes, but well-fleshed out and fully conceivable creations and hence this case feels like being a fly on the way in the middle of a street pulsating with gossip.

From a police procedural standpoint, Casey gives a marvellously authentic view of the tension and restless energy of both the investigating officers and the neighbours on a street where just about everyone knows more than they are willing to disclose. Making headway is fraught with difficulties, with new evidence and fresh angles making for a conflicting picture of Kate Emery. Indeed, according to whose opinion is listened to, Kate goes from a shameless hussy, a hard-working businesswoman right through to a parent trying to hide behind her daughter's developmental difficulties. Casey does a fine job of tightening the screw and upping the suspense as each incremental discovery and conclusive forensic revelation adds more to the case and sees her and the team going back in and closing down on the inconsistencies. Sensitive and intuitive, as Maeve learns more about Chloe’s situation, she empathises with how a biddable and docile young woman has been callously taken advantage of time and again and it is this recognition which doubles Maeve’s determination to see justice done.

I was very impressed with how Jane Casey handled the ongoing Maeve and Derwent saga, with Maeve growing in stature, becoming both more assertive with suspects and emerging as more of an individual. An unusually introspective DI Derwent seemed to display a more pragmatic side and this hinted at the potential for a future sibling rapport. Who knows what Jane Casey has in mind, but I will be sticking around to find out. Seven novels in and I still feel this series is ripe for plenty more outings and see Jane Casey as one of the most proven and consistent authors of police procedurals currently writing in the UK.
Profile Image for Emma.
971 reviews966 followers
February 21, 2017
Another compulsive read from Jane Casey. This one was especially skilful and I loved the ending: this author doesn't let her characters get away with anything, even the sly, think-i'm-so-damn-clever ones. In fact, there are some particularly awful examples of humanity in the book, enough that it's difficult to guess just who's involved in the killings. I pretty much disliked everyone except Maeve and Derwent. And Pettifer, who seemed to be of the same opinion.

I come for the strange and compelling relationship between the two lead characters, but I stay for the writing and the well constructed plot. This instalment was a good addition to both.

ARC via Netgalley.
Profile Image for Renee (itsbooktalk).
394 reviews404 followers
June 5, 2017
4.5 Stars
You can find all my reviews at www.itsbooktalk.com

Over the last couple months I've developed a raging addiction to this series and Jane Casey's writing! And Josh Derwent...but that's a side thought. I honestly never thought I'd love a detective series as much as I love the Lacey Flint series by Sharon Bolton but *gasp* I absolutely LOVE this series and I have to say Josh and Maeve now hold my top detectives spot, edging out Mark and Lacey...shocking but true!

Maeve and the gang are back in this 7th installment of the series and this time, she has been promoted which seems to have her a little off balance, especially as she has to mentor newcomer Georgia who appears to be lacking in the motivation department. Derwent is back from his holiday and has had some interesting changes in his life (Jane Casey you're killing me with the new developments in Derwent's life!) Una Burt is still in charge and I have to say, I'm not really missing Godley too much, I like Una, maybe because I truly think she has Maeve's back, at the same time not letting Derwent get by with too much.

The blurb does a good job of laying the grounds for the mystery but what's so great about Jane Casey's plotting is that the missing mother, house covered in blood is just the tip of the mystery iceberg. There are layers to what appears to be a straightforward missing person who is most likely dead case and Jane Casey reveals those layers little by little in such a way that just when I thought I had my 'what happened' and suspect(s) set in stone, she throws in a new detail and the puzzle changes.

That's the brilliance of the way each book in this series has been plotted and what makes it so fun and truly unputdownable for those of us mystery fanatics who want to try to solve these puzzles but in the end don't really want to be right. Well, you're a better detective than me if you can figure out the mystery in this one because not only are there layers, there are some delicious twists and they keep coming right up to the last page! Couple that with the fact that Casey writes such multidimensional, nuanced characters who I have to remind myself aren't real because I kind of consider them my friends now...and Derwent...I STILL love him and feel that the current path he's on might not be in his best interest...hint hint Jane Casey.

I don't know how I didn't know about this series 6 months ago but I'm thrilled I decided to listen to my fellow bloggers and try it. I don't think I'm the first to say Jane Casey is one of the very best crime writers I've read in recent years and I literally can't wait for Book 8 of this series. Let the book hangover begin. If you're looking for a distinct, clever, addictive mystery with characters who continue to evolve then I'd highly recommend Let the Dead Speak.
Profile Image for Malia.
Author 6 books547 followers
August 28, 2017
As a long-time fan of the Maeve Kerrigan series, I was not disappointed by the latest, Let the Dead Speak. I read a lot of mysteries and psychological thrillers, so they sometimes blur into one, and I forget about them again. Not so with this series. The plot is consistently engaging and the characters feel real and well fleshed out. I especially place value on the fact that they develop, time passes, things change in their lives, relationships evolve. Strong characters are, for me, what make stories memorable, and that is certainly the case with Jane Casey's books.
The story starts very eerily with eighteen-year-old Chloe returning home to find her mother gone, and the house looking like the scene of a horror film. Maeve and Derwent are put on the case, trying to locate the body of Chloe's mother, Kate, and to uncover what happened to her. The neighbors seem strange and almost everyone connected to the case appears a little suspicious, so that I kept guessing who might be guilty and what their motive could be. At first I thought the book moved a little slowly, and it took a little while for the story to really take hold of me, but when it did, I couldn't put it down. I don't want to give away too many details, but this story has quite a few clever twists and turns and the ending definitely came as a shocking surprise.
Casey is very good at creating a mounting atmosphere of tension, which makes you keep turning the pages, anxious to know what will happen next, who is safe, who is guilty and who is dead.
I read this book on a long international flight, and it was so gripping, I only watched forty minutes of a film before abandoning it to this better entertainment. After seven books, I feel I really know these characters and I was happy that Derwent had such a prominent role, as he is my favorite and really balances out Maeve (whom I also like, I should mention). This is a series I will happily return to as long as Casey keep writing it. I m such a fan, that I even turned my dad onto it, and he was very excited when I told him a new "Maeve" book had been published, for us to read and chat about. Highly recommended for fans of psychological thrillers, clever plotting, engaging writing and memorable characters!

Find more reviews and bookish fun at http://www.princessandpen.com
Profile Image for Angela.
250 reviews1 follower
April 4, 2017
This 'whodunit' really had me guessing all the way through. I'm not very good at working out answers to a plot at the beginning of a book, which is good in that it would spoil every book I read if I could, but I usually have a good guess. This one really did hold my attention and I had a total of seven characters who had committed the murder, I took one out of the frame for a few chapters then put him back in, I was convinced they'd all done it!

This is the first book by Jane Casey I've read and, unfortunately, Let The Dead Speak is the seventh in the Maeve Kerrigan detective series. If you want to just read a great crime, detective, police procedural story this one is excellent and also works well as a stand alone novel without feeling you have lost out by not knowing the back story.

Chloe Emery returns home a few days early after staying with her father. A neighbour, Mr Norris, happens to see her come out of the railway station in the pouring rain and offers to give her a lift home. Chloe is reluctant, she doesn't lime him, but gets in the car anyway. When she walks in the house she shares with her mother, there is blood all over the walls and carpets in pools and splattered arcs. With her mother missing from the house and also the amount of blood, it's obvious there's been a murder.

D.S. Maeve Kerrigan has been newly promoted and it's clear there is a little friction, friendly or otherwise, between her and D.I. Josh Derwent. Kerrigan also has a new detective constable working with her, Georgia Shaw, who is intelligent, pretty and a slight distraction for Josh Derwent. Minor jealousies start to show from Maeve Kerrigan. It's apparent that Kerrigan and Derwent have a past but it doesn't distract from the story of this book.

I thought this was a really well plotted story, expertly written in a way to keep us guessing all the way through. There weren't too many characters but nearly all could have been the murderer, building and adding to the tension. There was a good unexpected twist near the end which turned all that we thought we knew right on its head. The characters were well developed, often with their own problems, issues and complexities.

For me, this was an excellent introduction to Jane Casey's writing and made such an impression that I will go back to the beginning of the series and work my way through from book one, The Burning.
Profile Image for Louise Wilson.
2,680 reviews1,608 followers
March 6, 2017
Chloe Emery returns to her West London home to discover her mother is missing and the house is covered in blood. Detective Sargent Maeve Kerrigan and her murder squad must find out the truth. There is no body but all the evidence points to a murder. With door to door inquiries taking place, are the neighbours hiding somethings?

An easy book to pick up but it's a lot harder to put back down. A decent murder mystery with plenty twist and turns that will keep you guessing.

I would like to thank NetGalley, HarperCollins UK, HarperFiction and the author Jane Casey for my ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Kirsty ❤️.
920 reviews46 followers
February 25, 2017
I'm not sure I would rate this book as highly as everyone on goodreads. It's good but not great. The bad guys were suitable bad and there were enough of them that it was hard to decide just which one of them committed the horrible crimes in this book. However I couldn't really connect with any of the good guys. I've complained before about not enough back story in books for anyone coming into the titles late and this one is guilty of that too. I sort of spotted that Maeve was in some kind of life threatening situation in a previous book but it was a throwaway line. I don't want reams of details but a little something to go on would be nice. Because of that I just found her to be a miserable bugger rather than being able to understand the way she works.

In fact I don't think there was one happy person in the whole book except Pettifer and he didn't actually say much.

The story itself moves quite quickly and there are plenty of twists and turns to keep the plot moving and the reader interested. I liked how it was hard to choose which bad guy did it and which crime belonged to them as well. I liked the religious angle and would like to know more about Maeve's Catholicism (I should probably read the other books right?) and whether it was for only this book or if it's part of any deeper characterisation.

Overall it's a great story but I don't think the characters evolved very much to really keep me hooked
Profile Image for Janet .
338 reviews99 followers
June 15, 2017
It doesn't seem that long ago when I was embarking on the Maeve Kerrigan journey and here we are at book seven a few months later!

Chloe Emery returns home to find she can't find her mum and there's blood everywhere. What could have happened and where is Chloe's mum? That's the mystery that Kerrigan is called in to investigate which she does with the rest of the team. Leading her to look more closely at the neighbourhood and their residents.

We have less of a body count in Let The Dead Speak and more of a missing person story as shady characters are put under scrupulous attention with Kerrigan doing her best in trying to uncover the truth in and amongst the web of deceit. I'm a big fan of this series with the relationship between Derwent and Kerrigan being the biggest draw. This is not my favourite so far but it's still a good solid read and fans would not be disappointed.

I look forward to the next instalment ..... because there's always room for Derwent!! And would like to thank all those involved for my review copy.

Recommended.
Profile Image for Sibel Gandy.
922 reviews52 followers
September 6, 2022
Kalbimi kırdı yazar 😕 Gerçi böyle yaptığı için serinin devamının çıkmasını beklemek daha kolay olacak .
Bu arada okumayı düşünenlere not : Her kitapta ayrı hikaye olsa bile, arka planda ilk kitaptan itibaren devam eden konular olduğu için seriyi sırasıyla okumanızı tavsiye ederim.
Profile Image for İlkim.
1,378 reviews11 followers
April 16, 2020
Arka arkaya bir sürü okudum bu seriden ve bu en iyi davaydı. Nihayet işlerin daha iyiye gittiğini görmek güzel ama o son gelişme...

Güzel bir maceraydı, yine akıcıydı. İlk kitaplarına göre gerçekten daha çok beğendim. O gereksiz gerilim ortamının da bir nevi kalkması hoşuma gitti. Umuyorum ki bundan sonra daha farklı bir Maeve okuruz. Bu arada çeviri sırasında bunun devam kitabı olmalıydı, diğer serinin devamı değil. Umarım sonrakini çok beklemeyiz.

*Ve önceki kitaplarda sayfaları dipnota boğan çevirmenden ayrılmaları iyi olmuş. Belki de editör değişmiştir, bilemiyorum.
Profile Image for Seda.
538 reviews74 followers
May 10, 2021
Seri ilerledikçe, her kitapta daha karmaşık ve daha keyifle okunan olay örgüsü yazmayı başarıyor yazar. İşleri öyle güzel karıştırıyor, sonra öyle güzel çözüyor ki baştan sona merakla, zevkle okuyorum. Özellikle bu kitapta, bütün karakterleri işin içine sokup tam bir kaos ve entrika yumağı yapmıştı. Sonrasında da bütün soruları tek tek cevaplayıp kucağıma bombayı bıraktı.

Bir konuda hâlâ yapılan şeyi hazmedemiyorum ki yazar da teşekkür kısmında bu konuda okuyucudan özür diliyor😃 8 ve 9’da artık bir çözümle gelirse ve hem Maeve’i, hem okuyucuyu daha fazla üzmezse çok mutlu olacağım. Bence buradaki son darbeyle kalbim yeteri kadar kırıldı, Canım Jane🥺😢🤧
Profile Image for Laura.
908 reviews74 followers
March 14, 2017
Book reviews and more on www.snazzybooks.com

As someone who hasn’t read any of the other books in the Maeve Kerrigan series, I was approaching Let The Dead Speak with completely fresh eyes, hoping to judge it as a standalone book in its own right. I have to say, I LOVED this book and am so glad I gave it a go – I only wish I hadn’t waited this long to read it!

As this was my first encounter with Maeve Kerrigan I wasn’t sure if I’d warm to her, but she is truly a great character; sharp, witty, prone to rash decisions (but most fictional Detectives seem to be!) but with a heart of gold. However she’s not perfect, which I like – she seems to really dislike new recruit Georgina and doesn’t seem to try and hide it. I liked her no-nonsense attitude and loved her relationship with Derwent – they are great to read about as a pair and I found some of their interactions really comical. Derwent himself seems like a likeable, if grumpy and irritating, character and his dry humour made me laugh at various points. Great characters are what I feel elevates a crime novel from good to great – and Jane Casey has certainly managed that with Let The Dead Speak!

The storyline itself is so well written – tightly plotted and believable but whilst still retaining plenty of drama and tension. It really keeps you guessing - packed full of characters who you constantly wander about (not about the police themselves, just the civilians!)… and with very good reason! There’s plenty going on in the neighbourhood where Kate Emery has gone missing and where the investigation is taking place, and everyone seems to have something to hide. It throws up plenty of questions and kept me completely enthralled, racing through the novel in no time at all. What a brilliant read – bring on the rest of the series!

* Many thanks to HarperCollins UK and Netgalley for providing a copy of this novel, on which I chose to write an honest and unbiased review. *
Profile Image for Amy.
1,831 reviews1,862 followers
July 16, 2017
All of my reviews can be found on www.novelgossip.com

My friend Renée at It’s Book Talk first brought this series to my attention with her amazing review and I just knew that I had to give it a try. Since I didn’t have time to start at the beginning, I just jumped in here. While it worked out great (I had no problems in doing so) I am going to add the earlier books to my TBR because this one was that good. I’m wondering how I ever missed this series to begin with?! I must’ve been buried under a pile of other books.

This opens with a gripping first chapter, Chloe returns home to a gruesome scene, there is blood everywhere and her mom is missing. So naturally, I was all in right away and my attention never wavered once throughout this roller coaster ride of a book. I’m not going to discuss plot points any further, the blurb tells you just enough, but it’s safe to say that this was an awesome read.

Two distinct things made this book stand out for me in a sea of police procedurals. First, the characterization is outstanding. Maeve is a beautifully crafted protagonist and is so multidimensional. Clearly her and Derwent have a complicated past and I’m definitely going to go back at some point and explore that angle. Their chemistry was fantastic and they have that kind of rapport with one another that makes you laugh while also feeling like you’re watching a genuine relationship between two people who are fond of each other.

The second thing that made this a standout for me was that it’s a tightly plotted, multilayered mystery. At no time while I was devouring this did I have any idea what was truly going on or what would happen next. The twists were all shocking and unexpected and the pacing was dead on. The various subplots added to the story and provided an additional layer to peel back, it was just fantastic.

This was one of the best police procedurals I have come across in quite some time. It was riveting and such an addictive read, I really can’t recommend it highly enough! If you’re like me and are new to the author, you can definitely jump into the series at this point. But remember, I regret not having read the earlier books, so you may want to do yourself a favor and just start at the beginning.
Profile Image for Joanne Robertson.
1,349 reviews550 followers
March 15, 2017
I feel like I have been waiting forever for the new Maeve Kerrigan book by Jane Casey but this series is one I will happily wait for if the plots are as good as this one! Seven books into this series and it’s just getting better and better! In fact, I’m pretty sure this is the best so far.

The plot here is a well thought out and meticulously planned police procedural that will work for you even if you have never read any of the previous books in the series. The personal threads are kept to a minimum this time but I always recommend going back to the start of a series as you will get so much more out of the characters when you understand their backstories and have watched how their relationships develop.

Whilst the investigation here is carried out by the newly promoted DS Maeve Kerrigan alongside DI Josh Derwent, I liked the addition of some new blood to their team with the latest recruit DC Georgia Shaw. This girl has a lot to learn, however I was quite proud of Maeve and how she interacted with her and enjoyed watching their scenes together. Josh was his usual politically incorrect self but there was a new depth to him as we discover that a new relationship with his girlfriends son has had an unexpected effect on him. But don’t worry, his charisma and bad boy persona aren’t far away! And I just love him exactly the way he is!

But the main focus here was on the case of a missing mother, presumed murdered due to the slaughterhouse scene found at her home by her teenage daughter, Chloe. The daughter, a beautiful 18 year old, discovers the crime scene but she has some learning difficulties so Maeve struggles to get information from her about her mother’s habits or any enemies she may have. In fact the whole neighbourhood seemed to have something to hide-it was like trying to get blood from a stone for Maeve and the poor investigation team.

Once you pick up one of Jane Casey’s books you will find it difficult to put down, she has an enviable way of grabbing your attention right from the off. This enthralling crime drama will keep you in suspense with some twisty plot details and creepy suspects right up until the satisfying finale. I always recommend this series whenever I can and I can’t believe some people still haven’t had the pleasure of discovering it. I’m rather envious that they are able to start at book one and have the whole Maeve Kerrigan experience ahead of them. Highly recommended by me!

I received a copy of Let the Dead Speak from the publisher via netgalley.
Profile Image for KC.
2,391 reviews
May 29, 2017
Maeve Kerrigan and her team get called to what appears to be the murder of a woman, leaving behind her teenage daughter. With no body and increasingly growing clues, Kerrigan and partner Josh Derwent attempt to close the case but in doing so family secrets arise, friendships are challenged, and the death toll mounts. With each new novel, Casey pushes her characters to face their weaknesses, strength, and loyalties. I will be anxiously awaiting the next Maeve Kerrigan installment.
Profile Image for Leah.
1,356 reviews205 followers
March 13, 2017
Maeve's back!

When Chloe Emery returns home early from a visit to her dad's new family, she is horrified to find her house covered in blood and her mother missing. Maeve Kerrigan has been promoted to Detective Sergeant, and is called to the scene by Una Burt, who's still acting head of the team. The sheer volume of blood suggests there's no hope the victim could have survived, so they're treating it as a murder case, with the first item on the agenda being to find the body.

I was quite unhappy with the way the previous book ended, with Maeve and Josh turning into typically unbelievable vigilante-style mavericks, so I'm delighted to say that in this one Maeve's back on track. There are lots of reasons this series stands out from the herd, and one of the major ones is Maeve's refreshing normality. Of course she's affected by her experiences, but she's basically a good cop who works well within a team and tries to stick within the rules as much as possible. And for my money, the books are better when she does.

Now that she's a sergeant, Maeve has supervisory responsibilities and in this one is looking after the newest team member, Gloria, a graduate entrant. Maeve's not finding it easy – Gloria's pretty annoying, ready to feel herself slighted for the smallest reason. But she also seems ready to develop a bit of hero-worship for Josh and Maeve's horrified to find herself feeling a little bit jealous. It's professional jealousy though – Maeve is still hoping that she and Rob can get back together, and every girl's favourite male chauvinist Josh (amazingly!) has his own little family now, having taken on the role of father to his girlfriend's young son. (My mind still boggles at the idea of him giving the boy dating advice a few years from now!)

Plotting is another of Casey's major strengths and this one is particularly convoluted. It soon transpires that the street is filled with people with secrets and jealousies, and Kate, Chloe's mum, seems to have been at the centre of many of them. Chloe is staying with her friend Bethany and her parents, an ultra-religious family who belong to a church that’s not quite a cult, but is tending in that direction. Chloe herself is, perhaps, a bit slow intellectually – certainly her mother had been keen to have her diagnosed as such – but some people think she's more intelligent than she seems. She's also physically attractive, all of which makes her vulnerable to any unscrupulous predators she might meet.

As always, the writing is excellent and there's plenty of humour to lighten up the tone. It's narrated by Maeve in the first person, past tense, so that we're privy to her thoughts and her rather spiky comments about her colleagues. Her relationship with Josh is more equal now that she's been promoted – he's still her superior, but she's no longer the new girl. He's still just as protective towards her though, which she appreciates even though it annoys her sometimes. And it's nice to see his softer side peeking through now that he has his little family to humanise him.

This one would work fine as a standalone, though as usual I'd recommend reading this series in order to get the full benefit of the characterisation, and especially the development of Maeve's unlikely friendship with Josh. Great to have them back in action, and here's hoping we don't have to wait too long to see them again!

NB This book was provided for review by the publisher, HarperCollins.

www.fictionfanblog.wordpress.com
Profile Image for Roman Clodia.
2,392 reviews2,388 followers
February 6, 2017
Another one-sitting read from Casey, though best approached in relation to the earlier books in the series. The plot is a complex one that explores the sometimes twisted and perverse nature of love between lovers and within families, not uncharted territory for crime fiction but always approached by Casey with a mix of empathy and a chillingly cool eye.

That said, long term fans may find the relationship between Maeve and Derwent seems to be suffering a slight form of book amnesia: at one point she tells a colleague that she never trusts him - surely those of us who have been following this series know perfectly that when Maeve is really in trouble Derwent is the *only* person she trusts; and that when he underwent his own trial by fire earlier in the series, she believed in him utterly? Of course, theirs is a complicated relationship and with more latent, at least on his side, than can be spoken out loud (though, as usual, there are some fine giveaway moments) - still, an odd vibe.

Nevertheless, this remains one of my favourite crime series: for the unobtrusively smooth writing, but mostly for the fine characterisations that give the books real personality and emotional depth oh, and the snarky humour that balances even the grimmest scenes with something wayward and authentic.
Profile Image for Nur Ötken.
Author 2 books38 followers
April 13, 2020
Jane Casey her kitabında biraz daha iyiye giden, bir cinayet, gizem, gerilim, polisiye türü seven okura ne vereceğini çok iyi bilen bir yazar. Serinin ilk kitabını okurken nasıl zorluk çektiğimi ve bu yazarın pek de benlik olmadığını düşündüğümü çok iyi hatırlıyorum. Şimdiyse okumaya kıyamadığım, başına geçince de bırakamadığım kitapların yazarı haline geldi. Kerrigan serisinin bu kitabı da soğan gibi kat kat açılan kurgusuyla beni çok etkiledi. Casey'nin artık alıştığım şaşırtmacıları beni doyurdu. Eksiklikler illa vardı tabii. Yayınevinin bol yazım yanlışlı basımları azalarak olsa da devam ediyor. Derwent ve Kerrigan'ın takım arkadaşlığını okumak bu stresli günlerde iyi geldi. Serinin şu anda çevrilmemiş iki kitabı daha olması içimi rahatlatıyor.
Profile Image for Debbie.
1,751 reviews95 followers
July 25, 2017
This was my fourth book by Jane Casey and as usual, she did not let me down. This one begins with a teenager coming home early from her dad's home from a weekend stay. The real reason why is given later in the book, but the beginning having you believe it was because of her stepmother. And, believe me, if I had a stepmother like that, I don't think I would ever go to my dad's house. She is just one person in a very long list of suspects in this book.

The teenager, Chloe, is a little slow and when she opens up the front door to her house, all she can see is blood everywhere. However, because Chloe is what she is, she thinks its dirt and wonders how it got everywhere like it did.

On to the investigation, Maeve Kerrigan is called in to determine what actually happened in Chloe's house and the story enfolds into a very strange case.

As usual, there is the action and suspense that is typical of any Jane Case book. Also the entertaining and enjoyable factor that I have come to expect with her books. A story that will have you guessing and guessing again and again.

Thanks to St. Martins Press and Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.
Profile Image for Lainy.
1,646 reviews63 followers
March 9, 2017
Time taken to read - over 5 days

Publisher - Harper Collins

Pages - 352

Blurb from Goodreads

When eighteen-year-old Chloe Emery returns to her West London home she finds her mother missing, the house covered in blood. Everything points to murder, except for one thing: there's no sign of the body.

London detective Maeve Kerrigan and the homicide team turn their attention to the neighbours. The ultra-religious Norrises are acting suspiciously; their teenage daughter and Chloe Emery definitely have something to hide. Then there's William Turner, once accused of stabbing a schoolmate and the neighborhood's favorite criminal. Is he merely a scapegoat, or is there more behind the charismatic facade?

My Review

Chloe arrives home sooner than expected and finds a blood covered house and no sign of her mother. The police arrive and despite there being no body, it is clear someone has died and Chloes mother is missing. Detective Maeve Kerrigan is on the case with her team and whilst the body is MIA the detectives need to knuckle down, question everyone and breakdown the barriers and lies to find what happened. With one religious family and a neighborhood lad who everyone seems to suspect, the real detective work has to sort out who has something to hide and is it murder?

The opening chapter pulls the reader in and gets the hairs on the back of your neck standing. The two main detectives Derwent and Kerrigan have a complex relationship, seemingly hostile at times they have each others back with humour and cheek on equal balance. Chloe is eighteen but seemingly much younger than her years, unlike her friend Bethany, younger in age but wiser than her years. Chloe is taken in by Bethany's family whilst the investigation proceeds and slowly unravels the complexity of the relationships with the characters and their families.

I would have read this book in one sitting had work not gotten in my way, as it was I was having to snatch moments where I could to find out what was happening next. The book kept me guessing right up to the last chapter, this is part of an established series but my first book of this authors. I don't think I was at a loss not having read the previous books but I will be buying them up, 4/5 for me this time. This book is out to buy this week, 9th of March 2017, from all good retailers, if you are a fan of the series already you will love this one.
Profile Image for Elaine Mullane || At Home in Books.
873 reviews318 followers
May 30, 2017
3.5

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the ARC of this release. This is the first time I have read anything from the Maeve Kerrigan series and my first encounter with author Jane Casey, for that matter.

Let the Dead Speak is the gripping and suspenseful story of a murder without a body. Eighteen-year-old Chloe Emery arrives home from a visit to her father's to find her mother, Kate, missing from their London home and blood smeared all over the house. Before long, the house becomes a crime scene, swarmed by London police, Detective Maeve Kerrigan and the homicide squad. Maeve and her team begin to unravel the twisted web of lies before them, focusing primarily on the overly-religious Norris family across the road, and young William Turner, a bad asthmatic with a criminal past. But how can Maeve point any fingers in this murder investigation when there isn't a body?

Let the Dead Speak is a tangled tale of seduction, infidelity, manipulation and murder. Although it took me longer to get through than I anticipated, I did find the plot compelling. Casey is a craftswoman of the crime genre, for sure. I imagine the fact that she is married to a criminal barrister has allowed her to keep her finger on the pulse of criminal law, and this certainly shows in the confidence and execution of her writing.

There were certain aspects of the narrative that irked me in this novel, in particular some of the interactions between Maeve and her colleague, Derwent, and between Maeve and the Norris men, Oliver and his brother. I felt some of the characters were too quick to give away their stories and motives, although the pace in general was more or less on point. Casey's writing is sharp and her plot certainly keeps you hooked. Maeve as a character is engaging and authentic, and I would be encouraged, from this book, to read another of Casey's offerings.

Overall, a good read. Compelling enough to keep you hooked; a confident crime novel.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 596 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.