Start by marking “Let the Dead Speak (Maeve Kerrigan, #7)” as Want to Read:
Let the Dead Speak (Maeve Kerrigan, #7)

Let the Dead Speak

(Maeve Kerrigan #7)

When eighteen-year-old Chloe Emery returns to her West London home she finds her mother missing, the house covered in blood. Everything points to murder, except for one thing: there’s no sign of the body.

Published July 25th 2017 by Minotaur Books

Julie
Let the Dead Speak by Jane Casey is a 2017 Minotaur Books publication.

This series just may be nearing perfection-

I’ve been following this series from the beginning and it’s been an incredible journey. The series started off as a solid procedural, but over time has developed into a deeply complex and compelling crime drama.

In this seventh installment, we see Maeve enjoying a new promotion, which gives her more incentive to solve what turns out to be one of her most puzzling cases to date.

When
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing

This is the seventh book in the Maeve Kerrigan Series. I got this on Netgalley and had to get it since I have been wanting to start this series. I loved this book and will now start at book one. This is going to be a fantastic series. I think this book can be read as a stand alone. I was never lost in the story. This book had me hooked from the very beginning to the end. The book was full of twists and turns that had me on the edge of my seat. The storyline was fabulous and it would mak
Paromjit
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a seriously twisted police procedural in the Maeve Kerrigan series. In a middle class Putney neighborhood in London, an 18 year old upset Chloe Emery returns home early after visiting her father and his second family. Awaiting her is a scene that bewilders her, the cat has been locked in, and the home is a blood spattered crime scene of murder, but no body. It is assumed her mother, Kate Emery, is the murdered victim whose body was removed. The newly promoted DS Maeve Kerrigan is on the ...more
Purple Country Girl (Sandy)

Thanks so much to HarperCollins, Netgalley and Jane Casey for the opportunity to read an e-ARC of Let the Dead Speak in exchange for an honest review.

Let the Dead Speak is the seventh book in the Maeve Kerrigan series by Jane Casey. It’s my first time reading this series but being unfamiliar with it did not stop me from devouring the book. It did, however, make me wish I’d read a few others first for a little background information. Casey gives the reader a very good impression of all her main c
Debra
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing

This is my first time reading Jane Casey but it will not be my last! Let the Dead speak is the 7th book in the Maeve Kerrigan series but worked perfectly as a stand alone novel for me. I did not feel as if I was missing anything by not having read the first 6 books in this series. Having said that, I will definitely be going back and reading the previous books! I love a good mystery and this one was done brilliantly. There are several possible suspects. All of them could have committed
Liz Barnsley
I just want it to be known that Jane Casey is now forgiven for making me wait over a year for this (how did I COPE) because it was worth the wait (and then some) it turns out that delayed gratification really is a thing. Just to be clear I’d rather really that she wrote a book a week but we can’t have everything in life. Never mind.

ANYWAY Let The Dead Speak then – another outing for Maeve and Derwent (swoon) and of course all the rest, much as I adore the main pair the group dynamic over the cou
Gary
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have been a fan of both author Jane Casey and the Maeve Kerrigan series for some time so when I had the opportunity to read the latest instalment, I couldn't wait. One thing I like about this author is that she is so consistently good and this book proved to be up to the same high standard.
In this latest story 18 year old Chloe Emery discovers her mother missing from her West London home with the house covered in blood. Everything points to murder but there is no sign of a body.

Detective Maev
Rachel Hall
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having read most of the Maeve Kerrigan novels I am a huge admirer of Jane Casey’s talents which have grown in terms of both consistency and plotting prowess. Maeve’s first person narrative as the case unfolds, complete with asides on her colleagues and a frequently acerbic humour brings an edgy realism to Casey’s writing. As part of the Metropolitan Police Murder Investigation Team, the dynamic between Maeve and the frequently obnoxious bad boy of the team, DI Josh Derwent, has been a regular fe ...more
Renee (itsbooktalk.com)
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars
You can find all my reviews at www.itsbooktalk.com

Over the last couple months I've developed a raging addiction to this series and Jane Casey's writing! And Josh Derwent...but that's a side thought. I honestly never thought I'd love a detective series as much as I love the Lacey Flint series by Sharon Bolton but *gasp* I absolutely LOVE this series and I have to say Josh and Maeve now hold my top detectives spot, edging out Mark and Lacey...shocking but true!

Maeve and the gang are back
Emma
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Another compulsive read from Jane Casey. This one was especially skilful and I loved the ending: this author doesn't let her characters get away with anything, even the sly, think-i'm-so-damn-clever ones. In fact, there are some particularly awful examples of humanity in the book, enough that it's difficult to guess just who's involved in the killings. I pretty much disliked everyone except Maeve and Derwent. And Pettifer, who seemed to be of the same opinion.

I come for the strange and compellin
Louise Wilson
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Chloe Emery returns to her West London home to discover her mother is missing and the house is covered in blood. Detective Sargent Maeve Kerrigan and her murder squad must find out the truth. There is no body but all the evidence points to a murder. With door to door inquiries taking place, are the neighbours hiding somethings?

An easy book to pick up but it's a lot harder to put back down. A decent murder mystery with plenty twist and turns that will keep you guessing.

I would like to thank NetGa
Angela
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This 'whodunit' really had me guessing all the way through. I'm not very good at working out answers to a plot at the beginning of a book, which is good in that it would spoil every book I read if I could, but I usually have a good guess. This one really did hold my attention and I had a total of seven characters who had committed the murder, I took one out of the frame for a few chapters then put him back in, I was convinced they'd all done it!

This is the first book by Jane Casey I've read and,
Malia
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
As a long-time fan of the Maeve Kerrigan series, I was not disappointed by the latest, Let the Dead Speak. I read a lot of mysteries and psychological thrillers, so they sometimes blur into one, and I forget about them again. Not so with this series. The plot is consistently engaging and the characters feel real and well fleshed out. I especially place value on the fact that they develop, time passes, things change in their lives, relationships evolve. Strong characters are, for me, what make st ...more
Janet
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it
It doesn't seem that long ago when I was embarking on the Maeve Kerrigan journey and here we are at book seven a few months later!

Chloe Emery returns home to find she can't find her mum and there's blood everywhere. What could have happened and where is Chloe's mum? That's the mystery that Kerrigan is called in to investigate which she does with the rest of the team. Leading her to look more closely at the neighbourhood and their residents.

We have less of a body count in Let The Dead Speak and m
Kirsty 📚📖❤️
I'm not sure I would rate this book as highly as everyone on goodreads. It's good but not great. The bad guys were suitable bad and there were enough of them that it was hard to decide just which one of them committed the horrible crimes in this book. However I couldn't really connect with any of the good guys. I've complained before about not enough back story in books for anyone coming into the titles late and this one is guilty of that too. I sort of spotted that Maeve was in some kind of lif ...more
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Book reviews and more on www.snazzybooks.com

As someone who hasn’t read any of the other books in the Maeve Kerrigan series, I was approaching Let The Dead Speak with completely fresh eyes, hoping to judge it as a standalone book in its own right. I have to say, I LOVED this book and am so glad I gave it a go – I only wish I hadn’t waited this long to read it!

As this was my first encounter with Maeve Kerrigan I wasn’t sure if I’d warm to her, but she is truly a great character; sharp, witty, p
Amy
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
All of my reviews can be found on www.novelgossip.com

My friend Renée at It’s Book Talk first brought this series to my attention with her amazing review and I just knew that I had to give it a try. Since I didn’t have time to start at the beginning, I just jumped in here. While it worked out great (I had no problems in doing so) I am going to add the earlier books to my TBR because this one was that good. I’m wondering how I ever missed this series to begin with?! I must’ve been buried under a p
Joanne Robertson
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I feel like I have been waiting forever for the new Maeve Kerrigan book by Jane Casey but this series is one I will happily wait for if the plots are as good as this one! Seven books into this series and it’s just getting better and better! In fact, I’m pretty sure this is the best so far.

The plot here is a well thought out and meticulously planned police procedural that will work for you even if you have never read any of the previous books in the series. The personal threads are kept to a mini
KC
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Maeve Kerrigan and her team get called to what appears to be the murder of a woman, leaving behind her teenage daughter. With no body and increasingly growing clues, Kerrigan and partner Josh Derwent attempt to close the case but in doing so family secrets arise, friendships are challenged, and the death toll mounts. With each new novel, Casey pushes her characters to face their weaknesses, strength, and loyalties. I will be anxiously awaiting the next Maeve Kerrigan installment.
Mairead Hearne (swirlandthread.com)
'A House Full of Secrets

A Life Full of Lies’

Let The Dead Speak is the latest in the Maeve Kerrigan Series from Irish Crime writer Jane Casey. Unbelievably, this is Jane Casey’s seventh in the series, yet it was a first for me!!

Published on 9th March by Harper Collins UK, I can honestly say that this was a pure page turner that kept me completely immersed as I swiftly ‘swiped’ each page at speed.

Please read on for my full thoughts…

Chloe Emery arrives out of the station on her way home with the
Leah
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, crime
Maeve's back!

When Chloe Emery returns home early from a visit to her dad's new family, she is horrified to find her house covered in blood and her mother missing. Maeve Kerrigan has been promoted to Detective Sergeant, and is called to the scene by Una Burt, who's still acting head of the team. The sheer volume of blood suggests there's no hope the victim could have survived, so they're treating it as a murder case, with the first item on the agenda being to find the body.

I was quite unhappy wi
Debbie
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was my fourth book by Jane Casey and as usual, she did not let me down. This one begins with a teenager coming home early from her dad's home from a weekend stay. The real reason why is given later in the book, but the beginning having you believe it was because of her stepmother. And, believe me, if I had a stepmother like that, I don't think I would ever go to my dad's house. She is just one person in a very long list of suspects in this book.

The teenager, Chloe, is a little slow and when
Lainy
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Time taken to read - over 5 days

Publisher - Harper Collins

Pages - 352

Blurb from Goodreads

When eighteen-year-old Chloe Emery returns to her West London home she finds her mother missing, the house covered in blood. Everything points to murder, except for one thing: there's no sign of the body.

London detective Maeve Kerrigan and the homicide team turn their attention to the neighbours. The ultra-religious Norrises are acting suspiciously; their teenage daughter and Chloe Emery definitely have som
Elaine Mullane
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, grip-lit, readwomen
3.5

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the ARC of this release. This is the first time I have read anything from the Maeve Kerrigan series and my first encounter with author Jane Casey, for that matter.

Let the Dead Speak is the gripping and suspenseful story of a murder without a body. Eighteen-year-old Chloe Emery arrives home from a visit to her father's to find her mother, Kate, missing from their London home and blood smeared all over the house. Before long, the house becomes a crim
Roman Clodia
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another one-sitting read from Casey, though best approached in relation to the earlier books in the series. The plot is a complex one that explores the sometimes twisted and perverse nature of love between lovers and within families, not uncharted territory for crime fiction but always approached by Casey with a mix of empathy and a chillingly cool eye.

That said, long term fans may find the relationship between Maeve and Derwent seems to be suffering a slight form of book amnesia: at one point
Susan Johnston
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Princess Fuzzypants here:
If you are looking for a nice easy going mystery where everything works out in the end, do not pick up this book. If, however, you like a roller coaster where nothing is quite as it seems and liaisons between characters are messy and complicated and full of twists and turns, this is a good read for you.
When a young girl returns home unexpectedly, she discovers a scene worthy of an abattoir.. The house is covered in blood but there is no body. Her mother is missing and as
Christine
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Welcome back Maeve and Derwent! You have been missed SO much!

Let the Dead Speak is the latest in the exciting Maeve Kerrigan series, written by Jane Casey! Well it’s more Maeve and the gorgeous Derwent, the dynamic crime solving duo. I’d give them equal billing. He is gorgeous, isn’t he? Who doesn’t find Derwent that little bit attractive, in a bad boy way? Moving on…

The story starts with a bang, and with one of the best introductions to a crime scene ever. Someone arrives home to a horrific blo
Jacqie
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Angela
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Although “Let the Dead Speak” is the seventh in a series of crime novels featuring Police Officer Maeve Kerrigan, this is the first that I have read……..and it certainly will not be the last!

Jane Casey’s superb crime novel is so full of intrigue and suspense, that it is difficult to describe the plot in great detail without spoiling the book for others. What appears at first to be a classic case of a bloody and vicious murder turns into much more. Child abuse, fraud, blackmail – all appear as the
Hallie
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5

I am gutted.

But I will forgive Casey for torturing me her readers because she makes Maeve's professional competence and decency count.

I knew I shouldn't have read this so early as it's going to be a very long wait for the next.
Maeve and Josh endgame? 2 7 Jun 03, 2018 07:41PM
  • Lucky Charmed (Charmed in Texas, #2)
  • When I Fall (Montgomery Manor #2)
  • Quiet Love
  • Maybe This Time (Whiskey and Weddings, #2)
  • Grave Destinations (Grave, #2)
  • To Please A Lady (Seduction, #3)
  • Called Up (Calling It, #2)
  • It Had To Be You (Crystal Valley, #2)
  • Quieter Than Killing (DI Marnie Rome, #4)
  • Making a Comeback (More Than a Game, #3)
  • Stealing Second (Feeling the Heat, #5)
  • A Dark and Twisted Tide (Lacey Flint #4)
  • Chain of Illusions (Bringer and the Bane, #3)
  • Stone Song (Cold Iron, #3)
  • Only She Sees
  • The Dead Ground (Paula McGuire, #2)
  • Desperate Measures (Gabriel Ash and Hazel Best, #3)
  • Murder at Rudhall Manor
She studied English at Jesus College, Oxford, followed by an mPhil in Anglo-Irish Literature at Trinity College, Dublin

Maeve Kerrigan (8 books)
  • The Burning (Maeve Kerrigan, #1)
  • The Reckoning (Maeve Kerrigan, #2)
  • The Last Girl (Maeve Kerrigan, #3)
  • The Stranger You Know (Maeve Kerrigan, #4)
  • The Kill (Maeve Kerrigan, #5)
  • After the Fire (Maeve Kerrigan, #6)
  • Cruel Acts
“He held on to me so tightly it was as if he was trying to stop my heart from breaking by holding it together.” 0 likes
“If I’ve learned one thing doing this job it’s that evil can be anywhere. Even here.” 0 likes