Start by marking “The Breakdown” as Want to Read:
The Breakdown

The Breakdown

3.90  ·  Rating details ·  66,623 ratings  ·  8,357 reviews
Cass is having a hard time since the night she saw the car in the woods, on the winding rural road, in the middle of a downpour, with the woman sitting inside—the woman who was killed. She’s been trying to put the crime out of her mind; what could she have done, really? It’s a dangerous road to be on in the middle of a storm. Her husband would be furious if he knew she’d b ...more
Published July 18th 2017 by St. Martin's Press (first published February 9th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Breakdown, please sign up.
Cynthia Rooks I thought it was just as good. Very suspenseful. Kept me on the edge of my seat guessing who did it. I never guessed correctly. Had a surprising…moreI thought it was just as good. Very suspenseful. Kept me on the edge of my seat guessing who did it. I never guessed correctly. Had a surprising ending. The author writes well keeps the readers attention. I never wanted to stop until I finished the last page.(less)

·  66,623 ratings  ·  8,357 reviews

Start your review of The Breakdown
Emily May
Last year, I read and enjoyed Paris's Behind Closed Doors. I made it clear in my review that it wasn't a clever, twisty thriller of the Gone Girl-variety. In fact, the book quickly gave up all its secrets and was more about what happened to the characters after that. And yet, it was very compelling.

The Breakdown is more of a traditional mystery and, in my opinion, it is less compelling. I feel like the author simply
Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
*4.5 Stars…because I would not, COULD NOT, put this down!

There are no profound reasons as to why this book was so much fun for me. It certainly doesn't shatter any psychological-thriller molds, and to be quite honest, there wasn't much shock value in its pages. There were some seemingly mundane moments that some could even call repetitive.

So why, oh why then, could I Not. Stop. Reading?

It boils down to an exhilarating execution: The quick pacing; the heavy buildup of anticipation; the spark o/>It
Deanna
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-favorites
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

4.5 Stars!

To say I was excited for this novel is an understatement. I loved Behind Closed Doors so I couldn't wait to see what B.A Paris had in store for me this time.

"If you can't trust yourself, who can you trust?"

The beginning of The Breakdown is like a scene out of a horror movie. I could picture it. Cass Anderson is in a rush to get home....it's raining and the weather is only getting worse. She speaks with her husband, Matth
Melissa
Let me preface my review by saying, I was not one of those readers that was over the moon for this author’s first book, Behind Closed Doors. While I liked the characters, especially memorable Millie, and found myself engrossed in the storyline, the execution didn’t wow me; in fact, I felt there was something major missing.

Against my better judgment, I let my twitchy and often overeager ARC requesting finger take charge where this book was concerned (will I ever learn self-control?), resulting in a potent dos
Debbie
Did you ever have a main character that you just couldn’t stand? I’m leaning over my desk, raising my hand high and wiggling it madly—me me me! Cass, a young schoolteacher wife, sniveled her way through the whole book. She was beyond annoying, with her constant over-the-top worry about a murder, memory loss, and a fear of being stalked. Monotonous, boring, a stuck record. Her anxiety made her seem sickeningly weak, and the way she kowtowed to her husband made her seem unliberated and outdated. I ...more
karen
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
oooh, goodreads choice awards semifinalist for best mystery! what will happen?

well, that was fast…

i can't remember the last time i blitzed through a book as quickly as i did this one (*EDIT - yes, i can - it was Gemina). i had about fifty pages to go in the book i was reading (The Three Heretics) which i knew would not be enough to last me my wh
Maureen
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Cass is about to make the worst decision of her life when she decides to take a shortcut home on a dark and stormy night. The drive home takes her on a rural road through the woods during a torrential rainstorm. She passes a car parked near the woods with a woman inside, and she stops the car momentarily, thinking the woman will approach her if she needs help. The woman doesn't get out so Cass drives off. The next morning she discovers that the woman was later found dead in the car - and had bee ...more
Susanne  Strong
Wow - this Knocked my Socks Right Off! What a Crazy Wild Roller Coaster of a Ride. 5 Stars!

This has to be the thriller of the year! There were times when I was holding my breath, gripping the book so intensely I thought I would break my e-reader. It was that crazy. B.A. Paris’ “The Breakdown” is an emotional psychological thriller. It grips you from the first sentence and keeps hold till the last.

The main character, Cass is a teacher who, after leaving a party, drives down a poorly lit, wooded
Linda
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Yikes!

When those ol' marbles start rollin' around inside your head and they seem to shift and move back and forth as if on cue........you know you're in trouble.......big trouble.

Cass Anderson feels that crazy rotation. Battling a torrential downpour late one night, she takes the shortcut home. Her headlights are cast upon a car parked to the side with what appears to be a blonde woman behind the wheel. Stalled? Cass pulls ahead of her and waits for a few brief seconds. T
✦❋Arianna✦❋
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: january-2017
3.75 Stars!!

If you read and enjoyed this author’s debut novel, 'Behind Closed Doors', you might consider trying this one as well, because this one was just as fantastically written and gripping. Since I enjoyed B.A. Paris's first novel, I was eagerly looking forward to reaclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
If

If you read and enjoyed this author’s debut novel, 'Behind Closed Doors', you might consider trying this one as well, because this one was just as fantastically written and gripping. Since I enjoyed B.A. Paris's first novel, I was eagerly looking forward to read this one ever since I’ve heard about it. 'The Breakdown' is a psychological thriller that really sucked me in from the very beginning.

Cass is a teacher who lives with her husband, Matthew, in a great, but isolated house in a small English town. Cass makes the worst decision of her life one rainy night when she decides to take a shortcut home, despite the fact that her husband told her many times the woods are too dark and dangerous for a woman. Cass is a little scared and she believes no one is as stupid as her to drive in the rain, especially in the woods, so she’s surprised to see a car. At first she thinks someone is driving it, but as soon she realizes the car is actually parked and sees a woman in the driver’s seat, she stops. Since the rain is pouring, Cass can’t tell who the woman is or if she needs help, but she’s willing to help with whatever problem she may have. She stays a couple of minutes in her car, waiting for the woman to give her a sign she needs help, but the sign never comes. Cass, wanting to get home as soon as possible, drives off. The next day, Cass finds out from the news the strange woman she “met” was found dead, murdered. She doesn’t tell her husband about the woman, feeling more than guilty, believing she could have saved her, even if she doesn’t know when or how was she murdered. Everything gets worse for Cass when she realizes she met the deceased woman when she had lunch with her not so long ago.

Stressed and depressed, feeling so guilty with each and every day, Cass’s mental state worsens considerably. She starts experiencing episodes of memory loss, forgetting even the most simple and obvious things. The fact that her mother suffered from dementia before she died doesn’t help Cass’s mental state since she didn’t tell her husband anything about it. Everything changes for Cass when she starts getting “strange” calls from someone, which she suspects to be from the one who killed the woman in the woods.

'The Breakdown' was, most of all, an addictive read. From the moment I started it, I couldn’t put it down. With each and every chapter I was more confused and more enthralled with everything. The fact that the story was fast-paced made me devour this thrilling read in one sitting. Cass’s story was filled with suspense from the first chapter, so yeah, the book definitely starts with a bang. I liked how the suspense aspect was blended with the psychological one. The suspense was fantastically done and I loved how it grew with each and every chapter. It held me at the edge of my seat as the story unfolded and the fact that our heroine wasn’t a reliable narrator made me love this story even more.

Cass was an unreliable heroine so I obviously questioned everything she said and everything she did for a good part of the story. I sympathized with her and, even though I found her to be an interesting and well-developed character, she frustrated the hell out of me. God, at times, I wanted to slap the woman senseless.

The big revelation/twist didn’t do anything for me since I saw it coming. However, I enjoyed the twists and turns as the story unfolded and with the outcome of the story in general. I also liked the fact that each one of them plays a role into the story. As 'Behind Closed Doors', the other book by this author, this one had a realistic vibe that made me think, keeping me at the edge of my seat the entire time.

If you are looking for a fast-paced, twisted, page-turner psychological thriller, with a captivating plot and interesting characters, look no further and try this awesome read!

Find me on:

Follow us on facebook Follow us on instagram
j e w e l s
Nov 15, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-bejeweled, dnf
I know, I'm picky. But, c'mon people! This book features the most irritating, frustratingly whiney main character in all of the domestic suspense books I've ever read. Not to mention she's so gullible and trusting of her smart ass husband. I just couldn't stand it any more.

And the plot? B-O-R-I-N-G.

So disappointed in this. I really don't understand the 4 or 5 star ratings this one received. Thank goodness I saw some people felt as I do.

ICK. Don't waste your time.
Linda
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: terrible-twos
Okay, here's "The Breakdown":

1. I was a huge fan of P. A. Paris' debut novel, "Behind Closed Doors," and I was eagerly awaiting her next book.

2. One of my top genres is psychological thrillers.

3. When it comes to clues in any book, I usually don't have a clue--always seem to be surprised with most twists and never guess the endings. Maybe this is why I tend to enjoy these books.

4. After a few short chapters, I started becoming irritated with the main character's stressi
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*

Yep! I know, so many four and five star reviews and this one sort of disappointed me. I think I might of had to high expectations. I wanted so bad to love this book. I did enjoy it but found the ending to be very predictable.

Driving home in the rain, Cass decides to take a short cut through the woods against her husband wishes that she stick to the main roads. She sees the headlights of a car, stopped on the side of the road, and barely notices a woman sitting
Kaceey
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One quick shortcut home through the woods after a night out with friends turns Cass’ life upside down. When she passes a car parked on the side of the road she hesitates, maybe the woman needs help? But what if it’s a trap? Taking no chances, she motors on home without giving it another thought.

That is until the next morning, when she wakes to hear that a woman was killed in her car last night on the same road. Her mind is spinning. Could it be the same woman who she came across? Should she hav
Julie
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Breakdown by B.A. Paris is a 2017 St. Martin’s Press publication.

Masterful and frightening tale of suspense-

It was a dark and stormy night…

No matter how cliched that sounds, nothing sets the atmosphere and tone quite like a stormy night on dark and desolate highway.

Now imagine seeing a stranded motorist, waffling on the decision to stop and offer assistance or pass on by, then ultimately deciding it was safer to drive on past, especially since the driver didn’
Larry H
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
As Kermit the Frog is fond of saying, it's not easy being green. It's also not easy being a voracious yet all-too-human of a reader, who tries desperately not to let the hype of all of my Goodreads' friends five-star reviews creep in and color my expectations of a book. Sometimes immovable Robot Larry wins, and sometimes the flawed mess more commonly known as Larry does. Apologies in advance.

Cass seems to have it all—a loving husband, a job she enjoys, a secure financial position, an
Norma * Traveling Sister * On hiatus due to health
4.5 stars rounded up!  What an absolutely thrilling and emotional ride this book took me on!

This book totally consumed me and I couldn't think of anything else but this book. I was reading it everywhere and anywhere which was annoying the heck out of my husband.

THE BREAKDOWN by B.A. PARIS is an interesting, thrilling, suspenseful, and cleverly written psychological thriller that takes you on a very emotional and apprehensive tale here questioning the psyche of our main protagonist,
Meredith
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

The Breakdown is a suspense-filled psychological thriller about a woman who is slowly having a nervous breakdown brought on by a car that breaks down.

While driving home late one night in the midst of a storm, Cass decides to take a shortcut through isolated back roads. She passes a woman whose car appears to have broken down. Since it’s stormy and spooky out, Cass decides that rather than stop to see if she can help, she will call for help when she arrives home. However, she forgets
Charlotte May
What a whirlwind! I read this in just over 24 hours!

I will admit, I was wrong about this one. I was very judgy in the beginning.

Cass is stressed, she is worried she is losing her memory, and when she takes a shortcut one night during an awful storm her life changes forever. She passes another woman who appears to have broken down in her car, rather than stop to help Cass drives on. The next day it is discovered that the woman was murdered.

Naturally this sequence of events does not
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
What an intriguing psychological thriller! Cass Anderson is rushing to get home during a torrential downpour and promises her husband not to take the unsafe shortcut home and to drive careful. She decides to take the shortcut anyway because the sooner she gets home the better, right? Except she sees a car parked on the side of the road with a woman inside. She decides not to stop because she's rushing home. But the next day she learns that woman was killed. Was it luck of the draw and Cass is lu ...more
Mary Kubica
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Every bit as good as Behind Closed Doors, if not even better! I tore through this as breakneck speed. Wow!
Gary
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had previously read and enjoyed 'Behind Closed Doors' by the same author so was eagerly looking forward to reading this new novel due to be released in February 2017.
This is a psychological thriller that features Cass a young woman who fears she is suffering from early signs of dementia an illness that her mother had.The book starts with Cass taking a shortcut home by driving through the woods when she sees a car parked up. Through the heavy storm she glances into the car to see a woman
Liz
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This book grabs you at the start. Is there anyone who hasn't been deathly afraid driving through a pounding rainstorm, hands gripping the wheel? And it's totally understandable that Cass doesn't stop when she comes across a car stopped along the side of the road, given the location, worries that it could be trap and the miserable weather. But the guilt compounds the next morning when she learns the woman in the car was later murdered. She keeps quiet, not telling either her husband or friends ab ...more
Holly  B
What a ride this was! It actually had me on edge and checking around corners (very edgy). Some people may not enjoy the downright frantic tone, but I was hooked! The tone does get a bit monotonous as it never lets up, but that did not deter me! And the ending was sweet!

What is going on with the narrator, Cass?
Is she losing it?
Having a breakdown?
Does she have a stalker?
Is someone watching her?
Does someone want to murder her?
Is her medication getting to her? /
Zoeytron
Copy furnished by Net Galley for the price of a review.

As a fierce storm rages, Cass fights to maintain control of her car as she makes her way home on a dark and winding road. Straining to see through the pounding rain, she passes a car pulled over to the side, and catches sight of a woman's face. Desperate to get home and out of the storm, Cass drives on, vowing to call the police to alert them of a possible breakdown of a vehicle by the side of the road. Upon arriving home, Cass f
Carol
May 11, 2017 added it
Shelves: fiction, e-galley
My sincere appreciation to Edelweiss, St. Martin’s Press, and Author, B.A. Paris for early access to The Breakdown for an honest review. To be published July 18, 2017.

Why not just title this Breakdown? Because this is the Breakdown. I watched as Cass Anderson’s world fell apart and was so glad it wasn’t happening to me but deep down I worried that it could. Cass is either suffering the mother of all mental breakdowns or she has early onset memory disease. Neither is good news for Cass who up until the mom
Esil
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
I pretty much guessed what was going to happen in Breakdown from the get go. That doesn't always spoil a mystery or thriller for me because sometimes I'm happy to read about interesting characters or see how the author puts all the pieces together. But in this case, it was mostly frustrating because if I could see what was going on, it was pretty implausible that main character Cass couldn't see it. It made for a bit of a claustrophobic reading experience. But I don't want to say too much unless ...more
Kendall
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Ok.....had to ponder on this one for a little bit. I feel a little bit out of the norm since EVERY review I see it's 4's and 5's. Apparently I'm on a different wave length haha or just super picky as usual ;)

I would give this a 2ish.... Like B.A's first novel... the characters just got on my DAMN nerves. I was super annoyed overall by Cass.... and it made me sometimes want to stop reading the novel.
Cass clearly presents with paranoia due to driving home one evening and seeing this woman on the
Sheri
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2017
Implausible at times, yet intriguing enough to suspend reality, the story's final conclusion made it all worthwhile for me.
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-books
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
The Breakdown, the second book from by B.A. Paris, immediately had me questioning the meaning of her book title. I took it to mean a few things – namely in reference to the mental breakdown the main character in this novel experiences. Is it entirely the blame of the main character Cass, or is an outside force trying to break her down? It could also refer to the car breakdown of the murdered character in the book that kicks off
Other books like this?? 18 96 15 hours, 58 min ago
Play Book Tag: [trim] The Breakdown by B.A. Paris / 3 stars 4 13 Aug 13, 2019 09:53PM

• A Stranger in the House
  • The Turn of the Key
  • The Girl Before
  • The Silent Patient
  • Watching You
  • The Good Daughter (Good Daughter, #1)
  • Behind Her Eyes
  • Someone We Know
  • The Last Mrs. Parrish
B A Paris grew up in England but has spent most of her adult life in France. She has worked both in finance and as a teacher and has five daughters. Behind Closed Doors is her first novel.
“I never really remember doing any of it, which should worry me more than it does because it means the pills are playing havoc with my already failing memory. If I were sensible, I would halve the dose. But if I were more sensible I wouldn't have needed the pills in the first place. Maybe if I ate a little more the pills wouldn't affect me as much but it seems that I've lost my appetite as well as my mind.” 6 likes
“messenger thing: it’s hard to feel grateful when he’s robbed me of my last bit of hope, that it was something other than dementia that was causing my memory loss.” 2 likes