Start by marking “Dark Zone (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #16)” as Want to Read:
Dark Zone (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #16)

Dark Zone

(Tom Clancy's Op-Center #16)

In Dark Zone, a race-to-the-finish thriller in the New York Times bestselling Tom Clancy's Op-Center series, the brutal murder of an undercover agent reveals a plot to incite a full-fledged war between Russia and Ukraine.
Former US Ambassador to the Ukraine Douglas Flannery meets with an old friend and former spy near New York's South Street Seaport. She is seeking his
Published May 30th 2017 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Dark Zone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Zone

Start your review of Dark Zone (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #16)
Ron Hartley
Sep 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
After 2 weeks of trying to force my self to read this book and being bored to tears... I gave up on it.

In my opinion, the poorest written one in the series.
Cheryl
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
The military jargon was a bit over my head, and it didn’t help that I hadn’t read any of the other books in this series. It’s just not for me.
Jeroen
This is the fourth book in the revived Op-Center series and the first of those to involve Jeff Rovin who wrote the original Op-Center series.
This book is both the best and the worst in the series, with a more interesting and complex plot and the worst writing.
The good plot would have rated 4 stars if it wasn't for the bad writing.
At some point one of the characterss, who's a major, gets referred to as a sergeant. The new international crisis manager gets referred to as the intelligence chief (a
Will
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
READER'S SUBJECTIVE, PLOT SPOILER REVIEW FOLLOWS:

I somehow missed the first three Op Center series instalments, but I can assure you the fourth, 'Dark Zone,' is a fix for action adventure thriller junkies. This book reads like a flash, as the action is fast and the pace is furious. Two and a half day read for me, but it's not Tom Clancy epic long either. And what a timely, relevant storyline--Russian encroachment on Ukraine. This book's most 'rah rah' aspect might be the David vs Goliath story o
Brandon
Oct 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I really, really badly want to like this series, because I loved the first Op-Center series so much. I chalked my issues with the first one up to a new writing team and getting used to new characters getting. The second one was frustrating. The third one lost one of the authors and got marginally better. And this one picked up the author of the original Op-Center books (Jeff Rovin) as a co-author. The dialogue is better, the pacing and structure are better, but it’s still not there.

The first rou
Brentman99
Normally, I find Tom Clancy's Op-Center books a quick, entertaining read. Well, you can tell that the master is gone because so is the magic that came with him.

Dark Zone has a bit of a convoluted premise - that the Americans have to do something to keep Ukraine from doing something that will enflame relations and possibly cause a war with Russia. Okay. The book then spends 361 pages rolling around in the dark (hence the title?) and light trying to find the team and stop them.

I won't spoil it for
Nancy Cook  Lauer
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
2/5. They talk about mission creep in military operations. Unfortunately, what started as a solid Clancyesque spinoff series is suffering from mediocrity creep. Please don't do that to the memory of one of my favorite authors. This could have been a good book, timely, headline-fresh Ukraine vs. Russia espionage, top-shelf tech toys, all that good stuff. I read these stories to train my logic brain. Unfortunately, this one didn't do it.
Perry Reed
Not that good.

I expected more from an OpCenter book. More action, more suspense. I didn't get it from this book. There was almost zero action in it at all, and it was mostly about the inner dialog of people sending others into possible action. Frankly, although the premise was interesting, the book was boring.
Richard Mancuso
Jun 09, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mistakes

Too many mistakes in this book language usage facts and just plain stupidity
I'm 79 been a cowboy and rodeos for my living also grew up in the forties and fifties and know as well as anyone of that day that back in the saddle again was gene tarts theme song not Roy Rogers and they did not get along
If they can't get that right what else is wrong
batya7
Sep 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Boo.

This genre is not my usual cup of tea, but I was willing to try it again because of the Tom Clancy name. It is rare that I put a book down before finishing it. Having said that, I couldn't get past Chapter Five. I closed the book and put it into the "return to library" pile.

Too much impenetrable international intrigue.
Thomas Myers
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book does more for the Tom Clancy brand than the mainstream Jack Ryan books. It brings back the old geopolitical themes and updates them for today's climate. It is easy to believe that what the authors put in here can actually be happening out there, right now.

It does suffer from some pacing issues - the ending in particular is rushed.
Marian Bron
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
I picked up this book wanting to give another genre a try. I was hoping it was was like the Jason Bourne series. It wasn't. Despite being advertised as a "race-to-the-finish thriller", it was not. Perhaps it was because there were too many characters involved and I couldn't invest in any of them and that may be the genre. Whatever, it was a bit of a slog to finish it.
Jay
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite Clancy

Ok character development. Convoluted plot, plausible, difficult to follow. Most likely an informed look inside Putin's motives. Missing the grand sweep of Clancy.
Rick Cobb
Had a hard time finishing this book. Expected more action. I guess Tom Clancy's name is beginning to have less relevance with the passage of time. My advice is to save your money and look for another book to read.
Jeffrey Shaw
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it
This not my favourite Op-Center book. Started with some very sloppy writing, which improved as the book went along. However, the worst part about the story is the characters were mostly boring and there was very little action. At the end, I was left wondering what the point of this book was.
Deborah Wall
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Talk about out of the Headlines

Some of the shifts were a little hard for me to follow, but the subject matter was fascinating so it kept me entranced.
Michael Travis
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like this type of story, relevant and linked to the Clancy franchise.
Michael Gallagher
The master's touch still there, God rest his soul.

The master's touch still alive here, God rest his soul. These guys kept up the tradition grandly. Great read!
Pick it up.
George
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Doug
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Dark Zone in a why picked up with the story line of the Ukraine but the disappointing part was the very anticlimactic ended - it just left things hanging
Sister
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Top notch military thriller.
Fate's Lady
Oct 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Dry and boring. Lots of old white men sitting in secret, sealed rooms discussing strategy and deploying troops or whatever. This book FEELS like it was written by committee.
Cliff Townsend
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
This one just didn't grab me like the others I've listened to.
Dick Rowland
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
This story was tedious with no Op Center flavor. The author forgot that the opportunity center was a elite special unit that did not do things the normal way. If this is the format count me gone.
Ed
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good action thriller in Tom Clancy style.
Michael
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Somewhat predictable but fast paced action as most Op Center books. Believable scenarios and scary enough to be real.
Joseph
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Awful!!!!! Why did I waste my life on this book
Michael Portman
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Very timely, considering current events in Crimea, Ukraine and Russian budget constraints.
Adrian Ramos
Apr 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Kinda boring and hard to follow. Using Tom Clancy’s name to sell books is cheating. TC created OP Center stories, but they need to let it go.
Deane Rothenmaier
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
I've read every one of Clancy's Jack Ryan books, so I feel I can speak with a small bit of authority when I say that this was a disappointment. The story itself was good, but the writing left something to be desired. Definitely.not up to the standard one has come to expect from a novel published under Clancy's imprimatur.
I'll give one small example: at one point a character refers to a "twelve inch 40 caliber" weapon. Well, is it a foot-long .40 cal. pistol? Or what? .40 caliber is 0.4" diameter

• Tom Clancy Code of Honor (Jack Ryan Universe Book 28)
  • Tom Clancy Enemy Contact
  • Line of Sight (Jack Ryan Universe, #25)
  • Firing Point (Jack Ryan Universe,  #29)
  • Power and Empire (Jack Ryan Universe, #24)
  • Point of Contact (Jack Ryan Jr. #10)
  • The Warsaw Protocol (Cotton Malone, #15)
  • The Moscow Offensive (Brad McLanahan #4; Patrick McLanahan, #22)
  • Oath of Office (Jack Ryan Universe #26)
  • One Minute Out (Gray Man, #9)
  • Agent in Place (Gray Man, #7)
  • The Russia Account (Tommy Carmellini #9)
  • The Teeth of the Tiger (Jack Ryan Universe, #12)
  • True Faith and Allegiance (Jack Ryan Universe, #22)
  • Tom Clancy's Op-Center: For Honor
  • Duty and Honor (Jack Ryan Universe, #21)
  • Under Fire (Jack Ryan Universe, #19)
  • The Armageddon File (Tommy Carmellini #8)
George Galdorisi is a career naval aviator and writer. His thirty years of active duty service included four command tours and five years as a carrier strike group chief of staff. He is the Director of Strategic Futures and Technical Assessments at the Navy's Information Warfare Center Pacific in San Diego, California. He has been writing for decades and it is the ultimate “flow” experience for hi ...more

Tom Clancy's Op-Center (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Op-Center (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #1)
  • Mirror Image (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #2)
  • Games of State (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #3)
  • Acts of War (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #4)
  • Balance of Power (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #5)
  • State of Siege (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #6)
  • Divide and Conquer (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #7)
  • Line of Control (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #8)
  • Mission of Honor (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #9)
  • Sea of Fire (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #10)