Start by marking “Ordeal” as Want to Read:
Ordeal

Ordeal

(William Wisting #10)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  1,181 ratings  ·  117 reviews
Together with her one year old daughter Maja, single mother Sofie Lund moves into the house she inherited from her grandfather. Sofie has such painful memories that she has had every trace of the old man removed, every trace but a locked safe that has been bolted to the basement floor. Inside the safe, Sofie finds something shocking that will also become crucial evidence i ...more
Published August 8th 2017 by Minotaur Books (first published May 30th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Ordeal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ordeal

really liked it 4.00  ·

Diane S ☔
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Somehow or another I managed to blunder my way into the tenth is a series I have not previously read. Though I did read that in the USA only five have been translated and published. The author though did the reader a great service by including, in the opening pages of the book, a few pages of preview bringing us up to date on Wistings life. Greatly appreciated.

This is a meticulously, detailed police procedural. I was extremely impressed with the writing and the tightness of the plot. Will ad
Crime by the Book
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 stars for this one!! Read my full review here: http://crimebythebook.com/blog/2017/7...

This is a fantastic police procedural. Slow burning but with a certain energy to it that kept me hooked. It's part of a series but CAN be read as a standalone!
Liz Barnsley
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nordic Noir is a thing at the moment – some brilliant books arriving on our doorstep and Ordeal was such a book – distinctly atmospheric, with its own peculiar vibe I enjoyed it very much.

A great mix of police procedural and intensley intriguing character study, Jorn Lier Horst weaves a clever and perfectly paced tale around his main protagonists and has a clear and descriptive eye for interpersonal relationships that allows the reader to fully absorb into their world.

The mystery element is expe
Rachel Hall
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Nordic Noir genre has brought a sense of realism to the crime fiction world that I have high regard for, with its appreciation for the daily grind behind so much of police work and its wider social and political commentary. In Ordeal, Lier Horst brings a tale of everyday life in a neighbourhood which is reassuringly ordinary and chimes with readers. Combining the rigour and stringency of a police procedural with humane investigators, Ordeal exposes the darker element of an ever changing soci ...more
Matt
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the latest William Wisting novel, Horst takes the reader on another wonderful adventure, where the law and justice meet, if only for a moment. After months of no leads on the case of a missing taxi driver and his vehicle, Wisting is forced to push it to the side. Juggling work and the potential of the early stages of a new relationship, Wisting must also focus on his daughter, Line, who is eight months pregnant and has just returned to raise her child alone. When Line meets an old school frie ...more
Jeanette
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars and a wider plot than in the "usual" Wisting.

But I rounded it up for the baby Ingrid's birth. It's always the best days of all when the babies come. It is to me.

William is pushed a farther than usual inquiry even within a homicide tangent to a "missing" case. Because these bad guys are rather cabal length and wide as opposed to the random local inebriate.

And there is a new character friend of Line who is an old prime school buddy and she's interesting and owns a recently deceased mob
Rowena Hoseason
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
This is character-driven police procedural set in small-town Norway, along the lines of Wallander or Beck. It places realistic human characters at the core of a criminal investigation; the discovery of a dead body juxtaposed alongside everyday domestic concerns. A meticulously crafted criminal plot runs in parallel to the events in Chief Inspector William Wisting’s personal life. But Wisting is not the typical melancholic, self-destructive fictional detective, and this is not a book about the bl ...more
Bruce Hatton
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: norwegian-crime
The fifth book in this excellent series to be translated into English see William Wisting investigating the case of a murdered taxi-driver and discovering that this crime is linked to an earlier murder in a neighbouring county; a murder for which the local police already claim to have the culprit. Both crimes are somehow linked back to recently deceased crime-boss Frank Mandt.
The author's previous career as a senior policeman adds a great deal of authenticity and credibility to this neatly plott
Mystereity Reviews
Jørn Lier Horst never fails to impress me, his William Wisting series draws you in with their intense and thrilling plots. A former police detective in Norway, his experience shows with how well crafted and realistic the story's investigation plays out. In Ordeal, the cold case of a taxi driver missing for over 6 months has Wisting stumped, that is until a close friend tells him about a strange customer at her cafe who makes several comments that could be clues to the case. That starts Wisting o ...more
Tripfiction
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review first appeared on our blog where we also talk to Jørn about the location Stavern: http://www.tripfiction.com/crime-myst...

Another good read to add the Nordic Noir stable.

Ordeal is the 10th title (the 5th translated into English) in the Chief Inspector William Wisting series. He is now 55 and father to twins Thomas and Line, having lost his wife and their mother on a NORAD project in a previous book. He does not have some of the quirks of other detectives and for that seems a relative
Linda  Branham Greenwell
In this novel, Chief Inspector William Wisting investigates two apparently unrelated murders. But Wisting sees a connection. A man went missing several months ago - and a woman was murdered in another town. Even though the police in the other town are certain that they have their man and are ready to go to trial - Wisting questions their conclusions. He does not just accept their conclusions - he believes you must develop a case with undeniable factcs. So he begins to scrutinize the case looking ...more
Kay
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
William Wisting, the main character in this police procedural series, makes me want to move to the author's country - tomorrow. Wisting is a fairly normal guy with routine problems but has an outsized sense of right and wrong. He struggles within the system against corruption and bureaucratic demands.

The author is actually a policeman and it shows: The stories always seem grounded in reality. I have developed a great fondness for the main character and look forward to the next novel in the seri
Jen
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ordeal by Jorn Lier Horst is the first book I've read in this series featuring William Wist, a detective in Larvik, Norway.
There are 10 books in the series, but not all of them have been translated.

This is one of the best police procedurals I've read in a long time. Wisting is a dedicated investigating officer, and (because the author was a Senior Investigating Officer for the police in Norway) the investigation rings true. Superb plotting and characters that feel genuine make Ordeal a pleasure
Myndi
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sofie Lund has done everything she can to distance herself from her grandfather and his criminal enterprise. Even after he died and left her everything, she initially refused to take possession of anything associated with him. However, now she finds herself a single mother, and wanting to do what she can for her daughter, concedes to her better instincts and moves into his old house.

While getting reacquainted with her old neighborhood, she runs into an old school friend, Line, who is expecting
Cheryl
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. William Wisting is a good main character. In regards to his daughter and him working together, it was a little hard to gauge how well they do work together as Line was trying to help protect her friend by withholding details about the case. However, back to William. He seems like a nice guy. Plus, he is a good detective.

The story was fine and the characters were alright. What I mean by this is that I did not react or feel hyped when details of the case were revealed. Additi
Victoria Ray
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There’re things you can NOT understand and you can NOT find. BUT…you can NOT give up, because you know the answers are right in front of you, even if you can NOT see them yet.
I read it as a stand alone, but the book ‘Blindgång’ was number #4 in the series about the norwegian investigator – William Wisting. The books of the author are translated in English.

Plot and heroes:

There’re 2 ways to catch the killer. The Easy Way (EW) and the Hard Way (HW).
There’re 2 forces after the killer. Those who a
Gordon Mcghie
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My introduction to the books of Jorn Lier Horst and his protagonist, Chief Inspector William Wisting, was made so much easier by the GENIUS inclusion of a 2 page summary of the character and the key players in his life. Can we start a campaign to have this approach adopted in all books where we have recurring characters? So handy for new readers and likely to be something of a Godsend for forgetful readers (and I include myself in this category).

On reading Jorn Lier Horst’s author biography I le
Mary Picken
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am so pleased that I got the opportunity to review Jørn Lier Horst’s new William Wisting crime novel. I saw him at CrimeFest last year in Bristol and really liked him. He looks like just the sort of chap you’d go for several drinks with and have a great laugh.So joining the blog tour for Ordeal was pretty much a no-brainer for me.

Jørn Lier Horst was the Head of CID at Larvik police station in Norway until he retired almost 3 years ago and his novels really do have the ring of absolute authenti
Joyce
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

Jens Hummel, a taxi driver, has disappeared. He is presumed dead. When his cab is found in an abandoned barn covered in an old tarp, the worst is suspected.

At the same time Frank Mandt a smuggler and racketeer dies after falling down his basement stairs. He leaves his nice house and a small fortune to his granddaughter, Sophie Lund who wants nothing to do with his money. She does decide however to live in the house and moves there with her one-year old daughter and begins to redecorate i
Mike Cuthbert
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it
This is Horst’s fifth thriller after a career in policing. It’s a serviceable procedural featuring the hard-working CI Wisting and a character named Christine Thiis, assistant Chief of Police. Wisting’s daughter, Line, also features prominently as she is in the last days of her first pregnancy (father is a Yank, of course!) and her friend, Sophie Lund. Sophie has inherited an old house from her grandfather, a reputed crime boss. The house contains a big safe in the middle of the basement floor a ...more
Kathy
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ordeal: A Thriller is the tenth William Wisting book by Jørn Lier Horst. This is the first book that I have read in the series.

Ordeal: A Thriller is a police procedural set in Norway.Through books such as Ordeal, I am developing a fondness for Scandinavian thrillers and mysteries. Author Horst sets a slower pace than most but allows for character development and solid police work.

Chief Inspector of CID for Larvik Police William Wisting has had to put a case involving a missing taxi driver on the
Ken Fredette
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In this book Wisting becomes a grandfather That said, Jørn has positive relationships with most of his people at his present job except for the police chief. Who gives him an order not to disrupt a case that another police department has solved. This said he basically takes the other police department apart at the seams. All the while his daughter meets an old girlfriend that moved away and finds several items her grandfather has in a safe, including a gun. The story revolves around this piece o ...more
Connie
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
It’s obvious that Jorn Lier Horst, a former Senior Investigating Officer at the Norwegian police force, draws deeply on his own experiences when he writes. He carefully outlines all the work that goes into the case in this story that at first seems completely unsolvable. The book is fascinating and gives an inside viewpoint of the time that I’m sure is involved in most investigations.

Moreover, he adds those personal details about the protagonist’s life that truly brings the book to life. We lear
Charles Mcdonald
This is in the tradition of the Norwegian crime/mystery novel. It is also #5 in the William Wisting crime series that began in 2011 (the 2017 novel is When It Grows Dark).

Chief Inspector William Wisting is challenged in his investigation of two apparently unrelated murders. I'll be honest in saying the pace of the investigation is "matter of fact." I would almost describe it as "much like the old TV show Dragnet." Just the facts. Police procedures.

One of the murders seems an open & shut cas
Richard West-Soley
Utterly gripping Scandi-police procedural with lots of tension and surprises throughout, as well as a warm, human element that really colours the Wisting world and lends it credibility. It’s my first Wisting story, and I can vouch for the fact that it can be read as a standalone without any issues for new readers. That said, I’ll definitely be digging into more novels in the series now! Thoroughly enjoyed it. I read the Norwegian version, but for anyone interested, the English translation is cal ...more
FoxRox
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murder of a taxi driver and a young girl during New Year’s eve that turn out to be connected. In the background Wisting’s daughter that is pregnant and encounters the proofs necessary to close the case in her friends old house safe box. I don’t know how possible would this scenario be.. The book was not bad overall and pretty engaging, but it was totally missing the mystery. Yet another story about drug trafficking and related crime. Only the very ending could make you wonder for a second.
Roger
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it
First of this series. Really liked how the author introduces the characters in the beginning if you're just coming into the series midway. Other series authors should consider doing this. From the title, I was expecting a kidnapping/capture plot but it turned out to be a legal and investigative "ordeal"... The plot was very complicated but kind of wrapped up in an expected manner. Love the characters so I'll probably look to read more of this series.
Susan
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: norway
A good, engaging Norwegian mystery (these days I see they are called "police procedurals."). As usual, I have no idea who has committed the crime. In the tradition I like most in Scandinavian mysteries, there is a good bit of sociological background, including the lives of two young single mothers and the difficulties they face - and the influence of family relationships on the lives of the characters. And a good deal of mystery, as indeed there should be.
???!!!
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Enjoyed this book. It's not a high octane thriller but very steady, solid logical police procedure proceed many detective novels I've read. It doesn't take a broken detective, nor a detective with 'a gut feeling' but with deduction, patience, follow all leads approach to solve crime. Still Jorn Lier Horst also implied that at the beginning and the end of the novel that through all and all it may not be all up to you to control the outcome. A very realistic, calm but not boring read.
Malcolm Blair-Robinson
A Tour de Force

I was gripped from the beginning. For my taste it was quite slow and very engaged in the minutiae of unravelling linked crimes for which in one case there was no solution in sight and another for which all the answers were clear. Or so it appears until the hero detective does his stuff.
A pleasant read and one which will take me to more Inspector Wisting before too long. But not just yet.
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Add English release to series 3 106 Mar 17, 2016 11:13AM

• Katalysatormordet (K2 #3)
  • We Shall Inherit the Wind (Varg Veum, #17)
  • Blodtåke (Henning Juul #3)
  • Död joker  (Hanne Wilhelmsen, #5)
  • Kalypso (Fredrik Beier, #2)
  • Honningkrukken
  • Light in a Dark House
  • Synkkä niin kuin sydämeni
  • Eleven Days (Carrigan and Miller, #2)
  • Der Tote vom Strand. (Inspector Van Veeteren #8)
  • Tre Hundes Nat
  • Thin Ice (Officer Gunnhildur, #5)
  • Upp till toppen av berget (A-gruppen, #3)
  • Cold Courage (Studio, #1)
  • The Last Fix
  • Døde menn går på ski
Jorn Lier Horst (born in Bamble, Telemark 1970) is a former Senior Investigating Officer at the Norwegian police force. He made his literary debut as a crime writer in 2004 and is considered one of the foremost Nordic crime writers.

His series of mystery novels starring chief inspector William Wisting provides a detailed and authentic insight into how criminal cases are investigated and how it affe

William Wisting (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Nøkkelvitnet (William Wisting, #1)
  • Felicia forsvant (William Wisting, #2)
  • Når havet stilner (William Wisting, #3)
  • Den eneste ene (Wiliam Wisting, #4)
  • Nattmannen (William Wisting, #5)
  • Dregs (William Wisting, #6)
  • Closed for Winter (William Wisting, #7)
  • Jakthundene (William Wisting, #8)
  • Hulemannen (William Wisting, #9)
  • Når det mørkner (William Wisting, #11)