Start by marking “Everything That Isn't Winter” as Want to Read:
Everything That Isn't Winter

Everything That Isn't Winter

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  101 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Does a renewed world still have a place for those who only know how to destroy? While defending a tea-growing commune in the wilds of the Pacific Northwest, one person seeks an answer.

At the Publisher's request, this title is being sold without Digital Rights Management Software (DRM) applied.
Published October 19th 2016 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Everything That Isn't Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everything That Isn't Winter

karen
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it

“Why do you think they did it?” I asked.

Bartley shrugged. “People don’t like it when other people have nice things.”

my weekly quickreview of a free tor short.

i'm torn on this one. i really liked all the action-parts - strong, necessary, consequential violence as post-apoc survival strategy, but the other half of this story is all seesawing relationshippy feels, and i can always do without that. althea ann's review compares this to an episode of The Walking Dead, and that's exactly right. whenev
Althea Ann
Jan 12, 2017 rated it liked it
This story felt like an episode of The Walking Dead; it had very similar dynamics.

In a post-collapse world, a group of people have managed to survive by creating and running a cooperative tea plantation. But when they're attacked by a vicious group with heavy artillery, they may be outnumbered, outgunned, and out of options.
However, our narrator, Aiden and her friend Bartley, the commune's two lookouts, have a bold and desperate plan to save them.

As in TWD, there's plenty of post-apocalyptic a
Carol.
Solid. Gripping and sweet. Nicely integrated.
Igrowastreesgrow
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, short-story, free
A great short story. If it had held more action I would have been happier with it but overall it was a great story.
Hannah
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The sort of post-apocalyptic Americana described here felt somewhere between Into the Forest, The Postman, and Station Eleven (admittedly Canadian).

I like.
Alex Sarll
A story of the hard-bitten idylls that might grow up after the collapse of civilisation, and how those idylls will still have to deal with the fact that a lot of people are absolute shits, and how even the ones who aren't evil need to do desperate things sometimes to stop the ones who aren't, and even for good people love will never be easy. It's not a laugh riot, is what I'm getting at, but the hard-won hope at the core of it all is quite something.
ambyr
Pleasantly atmospheric with interesting characterization, but the ending felt too rushed to really resolve the internal conflicts established earlier.
Kate
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: tor
Just okay but felt weirdly like it kept returning to the romance at unsuitable times. Khalil was unsettling with his crying and pouting. He kinda ruined the story for me. Also, if he and Aiden had been together since the apocalypse started when they were both in their late teens, ten years before the story started, what did she do about birth control for all those years ...?
Kinsey_m
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story about a post-apocalyptic settlement. There were 2 features that made it rise above a 3.5 up to 4 stars:

- Deatils: This is a tea-growing settlement, which gave it character (among other details

- Badass female characters, but most importantly, nurturing men. Iam so fed up with stories where all men are abusive,evil,etc. They are in no way contributing to changing the stereotypes. Now, nurturing man who is believeable, and smart in his own right, and who is rightfully annoyed at t
Maggie Gordon
Everything That Isn't Winter reminded me of the TV show Revolution, except Everything That Isn't Winter was not a horrendous piece of #$%@. The short story, however, wasn't anything special. Dystopias have been quite popular lately, and it is hard to write one that really stands out. Killjoy's piece is well written, but the story failed to really capture my imagination. Her protagonist felt like someone I've read about before, and the central conflict has been done before as well. It's a pleasan ...more
Fiona
Peace didn’t work for me. Battle is a thing that gets into my gut, makes me desperate to live. Love is a thing that gets into my gut, makes me wish I were dead.

Another short story from Margaret Killjoy that displays her outstanding talent - she writes like no-one else does about those who want so badly to build something better. They do say to write what you know!

It really would be a shame to spoil this one, and it's not a long read to risk your time on - find it here: https://www.tor.com/2016/1
Joe
Dec 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Not as good as it could have been - a bit too drawn-out for a really good setup. That said, when it was good, it really shone. So except for over-analysing itself, often a weakness of new writers, a good story.
Ely
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Honestly, I only clicked on this because it mentioned the word ‘tea’. I stayed for the beautiful writing, and the interesting characters. It's honestly one of the best short stories I read.
Bobbi Jo
Oct 22, 2016 rated it liked it
This was very stream of consciousy and not very explanatory. That was mostly ok but left lingering questions as I read. I think this commune needs more people protecting it.
Claire P
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book by genderqueer author Margaret Killjoy for @ladybookmad‘s #readthemargin month.

This short story surprised me with it’s poignancy. A post-apocalyptic setting for a short-story of only 26 pages seemed ambitious at best, and yet the world building flowed seamlessly into the beautiful prose, the characters were remarkably fleshed out for a story of this length and, fitting this challenge, diverse and norm-challenging.

And what a story it is- dramatic, violent, thought-provoking and
Rachel Brand
Short but beautiful and extremely compelling. I love short stories that don't try to explain everything about a world or how the characters ended up where they are. I knew just enough to be intrigued to read more and to care about the protagonist. There’s a great balance of external and internal conflict and it's resolved enough for the conclusion to feel satisfying, but I didn’t get the sense that anything in Aiden's life would ever feel stable. If you're interested in dystopias, anarchy, tea, ...more
Jim
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Another freebie from Tor you can read here. It's post-apocalyptic Washington state. It started out well enough. Would have been better if it had been a little more realistic.
(view spoiler)

The mood bit was OK, the descriptions
Amit
Meh! Didn't like it much. It was like just making conversation between characters and lots of description. The war make it impossible to think straight to make your mind go normal, it's destructive in a way that war is not a solution. Well but in the Love always win no matter what...
James
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great story
Marco
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
An impossible to put down short story, set in a post-apocalyptic near future, getting ready to bloom into civilization, after many years of violence. Will this upcoming renewed world still have a place for those who only know how to destroy? While defending a tea-growing commune in the wilds of the Pacific Northwest, one person seeks an answer.
Merit
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked the protagonist's POV on the world and how, even in a short story, their perspective shifted and changed. The worldbuilding was interesting, sparse, but enough for the story that was being told. I liked how the story was set in an uncertain time, yet the characters were part of the rebuilding process. It was optimistic despite being post-apocalyptic.
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very nice. It reminds me of things I've read without being too much like them. Or maybe things I've wanted to read.
Harry
Nov 12, 2017
Jesús Neira
Apr 07, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Margaret is an itinerant author, editor, and photographer whose interests include forest defense, anarchism, and the serial comma.

More about Margaret Killjoy