Start by marking “A Time To Burnish” as Want to Read:
A Time To Burnish

Read Book

A Time To Burnish

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  20 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
"Not too long before we can get as many of them 3-D printed."

That pretty much sums up Josh Winslow's feelings about classic artifacts. As a man of science and technology, he couldn't care less about old bronze idols. Unfortunately, his brother Tom has just made one such idol his problem.

Vidya Thyagarajan, a young banker from Chennai, didn't expect to chase the origins of o
Published August 7th 2016 by Kiwi Books

Devika Ramadoss
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Quiet a different feeling I had while reading this book. To be honest I don’t know many invasion on Tamil grounds and being a Tamilian I regret that of not showing interest on reading the history about it.This book gave me outlook of it and I am set to explore the Tamil history on this,may be fiction sorts.

Author really didn’t get into the details of invasion or the Chola history. And I believe She tried to kick off the reader’s curiosity to know further more. That’s what happened to me.

Did the
Rajan
May 27, 2018 rated it liked it
“India is not, as people keep calling it, an underdeveloped country, but rather, in the context of its history and cultural heritage, a highly developed one in an advanced state of decay.”
― Shashi Tharoor

India is a poor country having a rich cultural heritage. We are the oldest civilization. The diversity in cultures and rulers across the ages and width and breadth of the country the legacy is huge. We have temples, caves, palaces, idols and much much more in terms of historical legacy. This bo
Shalaka G
Jun 01, 2018 rated it liked it

This book turned out to be a surprise. The author has woven a thriller intertwined with history. The mystery takes time to kick off. But all the analysis and incidents make interesting read.
I particularly liked the backstories of characters unknowingly connected with the mystery. And the twist at the end was unexpected.
Also it’s rare that the protagonist is set in believable middle class family.
Rubina
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
After a long time, I am reading a book which gave me the same that one gets after reading books like of the Tomb Raider- that of an explorer. Meet our desi Lara Croft – Vidya.

What is the story about:
Two brothers Josh and Tom who are complete opposites yet their love for each other binds them together. While Tom is into ancient art and history, Josh loves hacking and other gizmos. But when Tom acquires an ancient Nataraja for the museum, he starts questioning its originality. Being physically cha
Saumya
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it

You may also watch the video review of this book on my youtube channel : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsfK0...

The story begins with Josh boarding a plane to India while speaking to his brother Tom on the phone. This conversation between these two brothers very effectively highlights how different their personalities are from each other, right in the beginning. As the story starts, one gets confused as to what is happening because there's a scenario going on with no prior explanation but very
Mrudula Julukunta
Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Art, Mystery & romance, are the ingredients in this novel as delicious and stimulating as a well made filter coffee. You will finish it fast as you won't be able to resist turning the pages, most of the time because you can't wait to see what comes next. But also, sometimes because you want to get sooner to the Art & Mystery arc. Once you get past the cliches of seeing India through the eyes of a foreigner (Yes, bad traffic, colors, no respect for rules.. same same) and learn to love the ...more
Sadhuvi
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Are we fully aware of the history of the place that we live in?? We might live in any Country and each one has its own culture weaved beautifully..At times, we take things for granted and most of us never fully understand the significance of our own past glory…In this book, the Author talks about archaeological and historical beauty of our Country in interesting way and it’s not boring!!!

Tom Winslow, who works in a museum is deeply interested in culture and history of India..He receives a Natara
Gunjan Mittal
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m always drawn towards historic fictions. I think they have a unique charm in them. They not only have a thrill or a mystery of a fiction but also a lot of historic information. You always end up knowing more about your history in an easy way.
Radhika Nathan in this book talks about the archaeological history of this beautiful country. I think we, Indians, most of the times take our history for granted and don’t appreciate it as much.
The story starts with Tom who acquires a bronze status for th
Devyani Saini
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A deceptively long read. A Time to Burnish has a brilliant portrayal of modern day India, melding the rural and the urban so seamlessly you get sucked in without a thought. The characters are real and believable, their struggles palpable and ever-present. The intrigue and mystery element is also done well, and the escalation of the climax was also well-paced.

It lost 5 stars for its odd formatting and cover, a few typos here and there, and an overuse of adverbs. In most places the writing was el
Rakhi Jayashankar
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, thriller

My Review

What will we expect from a book dealing with South Indian Iconography and Chola Dynasty? Boring long texts on history and archaeology? Then, that notion is a stark departure from the theme of the book . A time to burnish, though based on the historical foundation, is more of a contemporary fiction with a twist of romance and mystery.

Josh is coerced by his brother Tom, who is confined to wheel chair, to unsnarl the obscurity of the origin of a Chola Bronze in his possession. Disintereste
Shreya
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing contemporary novel! I can already see this being made into such a fun movie :)
Akshata
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another good read from the author and another woman protagonist with strong personality and values. A fast read!
Sunita Cherala
Vandana
Oct 14, 2016
Mystical
Oct 14, 2016
Radhika Nathan is a juggler, a meanderer and a rolling stone. She believes in the miracle of words and the rain. Her favourite pastimes include reading, listening to podcasts and gazing at monsoon clouds. Her taste in books is eclectic ranging from anthropology to old fashioned murder mysteries, and if pushed she would name Jane Austen as her favourite author for her believable, eternal characters ...more
More about Radhika Nathan

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Every Single Secret
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • The Memory Closet
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Prince Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles #11)
  • Horrorstör
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Mind's Eye (Inspector Van Veeteren #1)
  • The Sound of Rain
  • Since We Fell
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Monkey's Raincoat (Elvis Cole, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Hidden Killers (Tennison, #2)
  • What If
  • Come Closer
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Private Lies (Jane Avery #1)
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Death Wears a Mask (Amory Ames Mystery, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Sacred Clowns (Navajo Mysteries, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
  • The Secret Mother