Start by marking “The Malice (The Vagrant Trilogy)” as Want to Read:
The Malice (The Vagrant Trilogy)

The Malice

(The Vagrant #2)

Following Peter Newman’s brilliant debut, THE VAGRANT. This is the much-anticipated sequel, THE MALICE.

In the south, the Breach stirs.

Gamma’s sword, the Malice, wakes, calling to be taken to battle once more.

But the Vagrant has found a home now, made a life and so he turns his back, ignoring its call.

The sword cries out, frustrated, until another answers.

Her name is Vesper
Published March 9th 2017 by HarperVoyager (first published April 14th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Malice, please sign up.
Mitja Lisjak I think Peter(author) himself said he plans to make trilogy, although at first he didn't plan this way.

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
This is an awesome mash up of fantasy, science-fiction and postapocalyptic fiction. It builds on the first book, establishing a world that is far more complex and morally grey. And, in all honesty, I wish I’d read it sooner.

I first read The Vagrant back in 2015 and was mesmerised by the use of a protagonist that never utters a word. Such a thing didn’t seem possible, but Newman pulled it off (somehow.) In doing so, he clearly established how sharp a writer he is. So I was surprised to see the V
Bradley
I don't know what it was about this book, but it really hit all the right spots for me. What really blew me away the most was the absolutely gorgeous and disturbing descriptions of hoards of demons both friendly, neutral, and evil that roam the world. Truly mind-blowing.

This is an epic fantasy without hoards of heroes. This is a quest novel featuring a girl, her baby goat, and a couple of broken knights that guard her and the one sword that is anathema to all demons. Whereas the first novel wit
Bookwraiths
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

My rating is 3.5 stars.

The Vagrant was a revelation in 2015. Peter Newman perfectly blending fantasy, sci-fi, and post-apocalyptic themes into a page turning affair. The advanced technology and sky ships, guns and sentient swords, demons and god-like beings, knights and goats thrilling lovers of this type of speculative fiction. All of it told in a lyrical style which caused The Vagrant to bring to mind the ancient myth whispered around the campfires by Homer-l
Emma
This has the same amazing weird and wonderful world that was just as fascinating this time round as the first. This sequel was still good but not as good as The Vagrant. I love the author's spare writing style but Vesper is not the intriguing and iconic figure that the Vagrant is. The baby goat steals the show.
Mili
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-the-book
Deff not a bad sequel, but it didnt captivate me enough. Vesper as the headcharacter in this book was an epic idea but it didnt deliver. Loved the Kid though xD and Duet~ I guess I was more interested in the other characters. The beginning started off strong, the rest was just the story developing for book 3? Or so I hope and will find out soon enough~
Paige  Bookdragon
OH MY GOOOOOOD!

LOOK AT THE FUCKING GOAT! THE GOAT IS BAAAAACK!!!
Scott  Hitchcock
Book 1: 4.25*
Book 2: 3*

This Sci-fi, Dystopian and fantasy blended story was consistent with book one reading like a video game epic quest with heroes, villains, demons, twists and different eccentric characters that don't fit the stereotypes.

The second half of this book was much better but it still wasn't nearly as good as the first book. Some of the quirky things about the world and the characters weren't as fresh this time around and the story arc seemed to take forever to get some traction.
Pavle
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastika
„Yes.“

Posle ogromnog uživanja čitajući prvi deo ove trilogije, koja je na ramenima nemog protagoniste stvarno bila nešto posebno i potpuno drugačije, bojao sam se da uzmem drugi deo u ruke, odlagao ga i odlagao, jer (činilo mi se apokaliptičnim) glavni lik više nije pomenuti Vagrant, već Vesper, klinkica koja, kao i manjeviše svi ostali, ume da priča. To je to, mislio sam, ode sve niz vodu, sve ono što je činilo prvu knjigu toliko upečatljivom.

E, ali Njuman se zainatio, a ja na sreću često n
Wayne
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

The vagrant was the first in this series and worked brilliantly because it was so unusual.
This suffers a little from following on from that but overall it still works.

The world building is good but is very similar to the first. There aren't really any new or interesting places although some of the changes from the first are detailed well.

The characters are ok but not as good on the first. I won't give anything away here but they do develop quite well over time and grow on you.

The plot is
Darren Hagan
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great sequel. Loved it from the first chapter. If there isn't a goat with an amazing personality in the final book, I may rate it 1 star regardless of the rest of the book ;)
Marielle
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I liked The Vagrant better than Vesper, I still enjoyed this book very much! Interesting new characters and surprising turning of events.
Mark Medina
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Good sequel

A good sequel. Set in the same world, it focuses on the Vagrant's 'daughter' who was a baby in the first book. It is similar in style, which I enjoyed, and has the same fast pace. It also reveals a bit more about the world before the demons invaded. I hope there will be a third book.
T.O. Munro
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another inspired and distinctive tale. It takes the boundaries of traditional fantasy that were already stretched by "The Vagrant" and pushes them further but in new directions.

The central character is no longer the mute warrior with the singing sword. Instead the story is carried by (and carries) Vesper the baby from The Vagrant who has grown into a child. She takes up the sword - The Malice - for a journey to try and complete the task of Gamma, champion of the Empire of the Winged Eye.
Jason
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
4 Stars

Malice, the second book in The Vagrant series by Peter Newman is a good read in a great world. This book could not possibly live up to the excellence of book one, and unfortunately, it did not. That is not to say that this is not a successful book, it is, as well as enjoyable. Book one shined because of the characters, and in this one Vesper cannot match the magic of the mute Vagrant and his goat.

The world is fantastic and it reminded me of one of my favorites The Gone Away World by Nic
Mar 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't enjoy this book quite as much as the first but it was still an interesting book. The thing is, the story could be boring as hell and I would still read it out of love for the characters and the totally adorable goatling.

The Vagrant and Harm are only in this book briefly and it's almost entirely about Vesper taking up the sword and going off to help people and heal the world. She's sweet, optimistic, and very kind. Plus she takes great care of the kid, which is the most important part.

In
S. Naomi Scott
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: signed
This is the second in Peter Newman's Vagrant trilogy, and as with the first it's a damn fine read. Whereas the first novel followed the titular character, the Vagrant, here we journey with his adopted daughter, Vesper, as she unwittingly gets herself dragged into an epic quest to defeat the largest and most powerful infernal to ever crawl out of the Breach.

Vesper is an unusual hero. She all but drags herself into an adventure she knows nothing of, and is wholly unprepared for the terror and chao
Chris Gousopoulos
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Together they sing. Together they fall. A wordless song of woe, of loss, of anger."

The beginning of Malice was a bit awkward. Didnt have the instant warmth of Vagrant. Maybe it was the new cast of characters. But after I tuned in, enthusiasm landed again. The dystopic world Newman has created is awesome. Its so unique and interesting. Εverything, from the land to the ppl, reflects the ongoing struggle between the old, honorable, but deep in vanity human Empire and the invading, highly adaptable

ijeoma Agbaje
i wish goodreads would let you click a half star instead of full stars when you want to give a book .5 stars. Anyways i'm totally going with an unpopular opinion here and rating this 2.5 stars.

This book just didn't do it for me, which is ugh so sad. One of my biggest problems was that at a point everything was just so anti climatic. Look, You spend chunks of the book just travelling with Vesper and you get just one chapter, one measly chapter (I'm really not kidding) of Vesper finally at the bre
Bram
I'm not entirely sure wether or not I liked The Malice. Let's see if writing a review will clear that up for me ?

World-building

The Malice continues the excellent world-building from The Vagrant and boy does it do a good job. We have intermittent flashbacks to a, very interesting, POV from before the Breach which provides a nice backstory about the Empire of the Winged Eye. We learn more about different cities and their relationships and how the landscape has changed after the Usurper was defeate
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
You can also find my review on my blog: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

4.5 stars.

Looks like I'm one of the first to review this book on Goodreads, oh the pressure!

I received a free copy of this book courtesy of the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

The Malice is the sequel to last year's The Vagrant.

The Malice takes place a number of years after the conclusion of the first book. Vesper, the baby from The Vagrant is now a young girl and is the central main character in The Malic
Lata
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review later.
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー

Remember Fatty Bolger from The Lord of the Rings? Or Seamus from Harry Potter? Maybe you do and maybe you don’t – they’re not all that prominent compared to other characters. Now imagine if Fatty replaced Frodo in The Two Towers or Seamus replaced Harry in The Chamber of Secrets. Wouldn’t that be a gamble on the part of the author? Wouldn’t it disrupt the flow of the story after you fell in love with a certain character and they just got thrown out in an experimental fashion?

This is exa
Tudor Ciocarlie
The Vagrant was one of the best fantasy novels of 2015, but The Malice I could not finish. The fabulous group of characters from the first volume are gone, the new ones are completely uninteresting and the world brings nothing new.
Roy
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just wasnt for me. Didnt really like the protagonist Vesper. Maybe its the sparse writing style as well. Probably wont continue on to the 3rd book
Matthew
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful! Full review to come.
Paul
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Certainly not an easy read. The style and setting are quite unusual.
Set in a dark future fantasy world with some remnants of earlier technology and a world ravaged by Demons and some very unusual heros.
The odd style can make it difficult to get into and the main character from book 1 takes a firm back seat so the brain really needs to adjust to the whole thing at the start of the book. The nightmare setting and nasty events can make it a difficult book as well.
But for all that its worth it. So
Sean
Sep 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Really liked this book.

When i finished the Vagrant and heard book 2 was coming out, I thought yippee, can't wait for Main character- The Vagrant again.

But he is not really in it much, more of daughter and own goat and bodyguard.

Brilliant story, but not feeling this one as much as 1st book.

Tried really hard to fall for characters , but could not quite get there.I am hoping for more from the Vagrant next, especially after the word in final line. Wow.

That one word made the book for me.

*Absorbed in Countless Worlds*
Fantastic atmosphere and worldbuilding plus very well displayed characters and species. Sadly some issues with the pacing and the story itself developed without any climaxes in my perception. But definitely going for book three when it comes out.
Trevor Sherman
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review soon on my blog https://thebloggoblin.com but I loved it

the review is up at https://thebloggoblin.com/2016/12/25/...
Miloș Dumbraci
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed a lot the highly original and very complex word-building and secondary characters (especially the Infernals). I loved some of the quasi-antagonists (the First, the Man-Shape, Samael) and got thrills from some of the really really bad guys. I also loved the writing - often very poetic.
The story is much better, complex, realistic and developed than the first book in the series.
All in all, a very good book that would have gotten a 5/5 from me... except the main character, Vesper. Not only
What's the Deal, Peter? 3 27 Aug 14, 2017 05:25AM
  • The Devil's Colony
  • In Midnight's Silence (Los Nefilim, #1)
  • The Boy who Wept Blood (Erebus Sequence, #2)
  • The Bitter Twins (The Winnowing Flame Trilogy #2)
  • King of Assassins (The Wounded Kingdom, #3)
  • Return of the Darkening: The Complete Series
  • Bagmen
  • Golak (Det Døde Land, #1)
  • The Demon Prince (Ars Numina, #2)
  • Sin City Goddess (Secret Goddess, #1)
  • The Thief Who Spat In Luck's Good Eye (Amra Thetys, #2)
  • Near Enemy (Spademan, #2)
  • The Devil's Bible (Bohemian Trilogy #2)
  • Miserere: An Autumn Tale
  • Flashmob (John Smith, #2)
  • Dark Tide
  • Gears of the City
  • The Guns of Empire (The Shadow Campaigns, #4)
Peter Newman co-writes the Hugo and Alfie Award winning Tea and Jeopardy podcast and is also the voice of the butler, Latimer.

His debut novel, THE VAGRANT, was published by Harper Voyager and won the David Gemmell Morningstar Award for best newcomer in 2016. It was followed by THE MALICE, and then THE SEVEN.

There are also two shorter stories set in the same world, available as ebooks. THE HAMMER A

The Vagrant (3 books)
  • The Vagrant (The Vagrant, #1)
  • The Seven (The Vagrant, #3)
“She weeps, but war cares little for tears or the children that shed them.” 2 likes