Start by marking “Jenna's Truth” as Want to Read:
Jenna's Truth

Read Book

Jenna's Truth

Jenna's just a teenager who wants to fit in. The popularity that she wanted though, quickly turns into infamy when two "well-meaning" friends spark a controversy that alters her life forever. What happens when the very group of teens you crave to belong to, end up being responsible for one of the most painful and humiliating events in your life?

Inspired by Amanda Todd's
Published October 10th 2016 by Aulexic

To ask other readers questions about Jenna's Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jenna's Truth

Start your review of Jenna's Truth
Veronica ⭐️
Jenna’s Truth was inspired by the tragic and needless death of Amanda Todd and echoes her fears and worries.
N.L. King writes a confronting and timely story of cyber bullying and its ramifications.

Teenagers make mistakes; they are learning how they fit in an adult world. Some mistakes are more catastrophic than others. Some may handle this and move on; whilst others will be reminded through caustic bullying day in, day out until it becomes all that they are. That one mistake!

This is a short story
Carol
The cool kids in this school are actually not so cool. Some of them are downright cruel.

Jenna is a naive and innocent young teen desperate to make friends and be accepted by her peers; so when invited to a party (by the in-crowd), she convinces her mother to let her go. As you can well guess, the outcome for Jenna is a disastrous one.

JENNA'S TRUTH is a very short, but potent story with an important message for everyone. Suicide resulting from cyber-bullying in our society is for real; and if you

Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-books
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
Jenna’s Truth isn’t the first book I have read this year that tackles the timely and complex topic of cyberbullying, nor do I suspect it will be my last. The rise in release of novels that examine cyberbullying is important to help educate and prevent this growing trend.

Nadia L. King’s debut young adult novella, Jenna’s Truth ,was inspired by the story of a Canadian teenager Amanda Todd, who sadly took her own life, after she was bullied. Using this powerful
Dannii Elle
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this in exchange for an honest review from NetGalley. Thank you to the author, Nadia L. King, and the publisher, Aulexic, for this opportunity.

This is a very short read, at just 55 pages, but it has a very important story to tell.

This tale was inspired by the true-life story of Amanda Todd and her suicide, due to the incessant bullying by her school peers. Fictional Jenna Wilson is undergoing a similar torture and the reader is privy to her thoughts as she attempts to cope with the
R.K. Ryde
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is powerful and heart wrenching - a must read for all teenagers and their families! Nadia L King has perfectly captured the emotions and culture of a young person living in today's modern society.
Susan Hampson
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: author-reads
This is a story that hits where is hurts the most. An all too familiar story of bullying at its very worst. It isn’t a story that I can say is unique because we have heard it before. It isn’t a good feel story where the girl gets her guy and there is a happy ever after. This is a heart breaking reality of our society. This is the sort of story where the good guy too often dies and the bad ass guys just walk away. This is teenage high school.
Jenna is just a typical teenager, quite average at most
Elizabeth
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The serious problems of cyber bullying in Australia and elsewhere makes the issues examined in Jenna's Truth both real and relevant. After a powerful prologue the author paints Jenna's world in quick strokes. I found Jenna to be both authentic and relatable and just like any other teen who longs to be in the cool group. The line illustrations and quotes scattered throughout show her confusion and self doubt.

"My heart hammered in my chest. A part of me told me to walk away... go back to being an
Theresa Smith
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Drawn in by the fantastic cover and enticing book description, Jenna's Truth did not let me down. What an excellent story this is, cutting straight to the heart of an out of control contemporary teenage issue. Cyber bullying and the devastating ripple effect this has on a victim's life.

Inspired by Amanda Todd, a teenage victim of Cyber bullying, Nadia states at the conclusion of this story:

"I wanted to write a story where the bullies don't get to win. I wanted to rewrite history and bring
Marie McLean
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Initially it was the cover of this book that first caught my eye, but then I found myself compelled to read it after feeling disturbed by the blurb. It is a short YA book (6,000 words), aimed at 15-16 year olds. Whilst my children are not yet in this age bracket, they have access to phones and laptops, and one of them has begun high school. This book's subject matter is starting to bleep on our radar!

Like most middle-aged parents, I am navigating a technological world very different to the one I
Mandy Jackson-Beverly
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Thank you to Ms. King for sending me an eBook copy of 'Jenna's Truth.' Having taught middle school and high school students here in the United States and seen the trauma caused by cyber bullying I see this book as a valuable teaching tool in the middle school curriculum (U.S. grades 6-8). 'Jenna's Truth' is an important story, one that works perfectly with project based learning. I look forward to reading more of Ms. King's work.
Kirsty Dummin
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was anxious and nervous reading this story. It took me back to my own high school years and the very few and minor times that I was subject to bullies. Teenagers can be cruel, but hopefully with access to resources such as this book, they can gain a better understanding of cause and effect and perhaps think before they treat their peers unkindly.
Julia Blake
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jenna's Truth is very short but is no less powerful for that. A punchy, fast paced read it takes you through a week in the life of teenager Jenna, who, unfortunately for her, finds herself on the radar of the popular girl. This girl then sets out to destroy Jenna, setting her up in a compromising photo which finds its way onto social media, spreading malicious and life-destroying rumours that take Jenna to the bottom of a deep, dark hole from which she can see no way out. Alone, isolated, unable ...more
Gosh there have been a lot of books about bullying lately.

Unfortunately, for a good reason. There are so many worse ways to bully these days. This very short book was written in response to one such bullying, Amanda Todd's, that lead to the girl being bullied committing suicide. If you haven't heard of her, click on the link. I'll wait.

This is a sad, sad story, of cyberbullying, and yes, at one point I was crying, so it did hit me in the right places. This book was written to reach out to teens
E. Mellyberry
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-book
Jenna's Truth is the first short story I've read. And what a powerful short story this is. Topic of bullying is never easy to write because it's too real, too raw and too close to home. It definitely cannot be confined within 55 pages of a book, but the author manages to clearly and articulately capture the message she's trying to send her audience, the teens.

Perhaps because I worked in education before, I look at this book with two separate sets of eyes. One as a normal reader, the other one
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Bullying is never an easy topic to read or write about. I'm glad that Nadia took the time to write about this and to change the history of the story. With technology today, it's all too easy to be involved in peoples' lives and to let them into yours. This has huge positives and negatives and has effected people of all ages in both ways. Please take the time to read her acknowledgements at the end. It always pays to do so in any book you read, but especially in this one. I only wish the book had ...more
Katerina Sanders
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cyber-bullying is a sad reality that unfortunately kids today know all too well. Nadia King, does a remarkable job of making you feel everything her character Jenna Wilson goes through - from her desire to "fit in" to her fear of being rejected. Jenna's Truth, is a cautionary tale that I think should be included as part of the required reading taught in school.
Jo
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I think your story is a great one. It captures the day-to-dayness of life in a bullied hell, and how insidious it is. How it has ripple effects, how one bully usually has a gang backing them up. You’ve written something incredibly understanding, something that might actually be useful, Nadia. Congratulations.
Ellen Read
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well done, Nadia L. King. An incredible story. So real and sadly so true that bullying like this happens far too often. Jenna found her way through and you have shown that there is hope, there is always hope, always someone ready to help. Young people in schools need to read this.
Popy Tobing
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This learning book is necessary!! The so-called-cool-kids at school really have to stop acting like everything they do is cool. Even it's a short story, Nadia can bring the whole emotion in you. Start to get mad at the cool kids and feel sorry for Jenna. A simple yet amazing message: STOP BULLYING!
Lauren
Sep 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1-star
Note: I received an ARC via Netgalley in return for an honest review. This in no way influences my opinion.

I'm probably not going to review this on my blog, but for you guys here, here is a list of all the things that went wrong for me in this book!
- There is absolutely no characterisation whatsoever. As a reader, it is impossible to feel anything for any one of these characters purely because it is so short! We are being told what happens like school children, rather than shown, and there is
Monique Mulligan
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nadia L King has tackled a contemporary and gritty subject - cyberbullying - in her debut YA novel, Jenna's truth. That's at the heart of the book, but what comes with it is a sneak peek into the grim and disturbing ways teen sex, assault, drinking and the Internet as used as tools to treat others badly.

As a parent, it disturbs me to think that teens can be so callous in their treatment of their peers. It's heartbreaking, really. And while is fiction, you'd have to have your head buried in the
G.R. Thomas
Roxy
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fiction
Jenna’s Truth is a potent and heart-bruising story that is incredibly relevant in the world we live in today. This book should be added to the required school reading list for all kids. It is a short story that packs a punch and opens the conversation about what constitutes bullying, and the distressing effects it can have. It is written in a style that is very engaging. Loved it.

Many of us have experienced some form of bullying in our lifetime, but sadly in today’s world it has become far more
Michelle Kidwell
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Give Feedback

Jenna’s Truth

by Nadia L. King

Aulexic

Teens & YA

Pub Date 10 Oct 2016

I was given a copy of Jenna's Truth through the publisher and their partnership with Netgalley in exchange for my honest review which is as follows:

In this short but powerful book geared towards older teens due to the issues that it deals with.

At one time all Jenna Wilson wanted was to be in with the popular crowd at school but all she wants now is to get through the day without being ridiculed or bullied.

Jenna
Libby
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I became "virtual" friends with Nadia (the author) through Instagram and when she put out a call for assistance with some editing, I happily agreed.

I felt immediately drawn into the story for I too swam for a high school team and would attempt to lose myself in that pursuit as well. Bullying has always existed in some form or another and these stories are necessary for us now more than ever. It is imperative for us all to understand the effect it's having on all children, no matter what part of
Occulusrex
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was powerful.
Bullying is an important subject, and especially in todays age, where it takes so many different forms, aided by the double-edged sword that is the internet.
Although part of me wishes this had been a longer story, to give the author more time to delve into each stage of the story in more details, I still think the rawness and swift delivery of this packs a punch and delivers well. I would love to see this developed and expanded from a short story into a novella, but in it's
steph // bookplaits
Sep 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Jenna's Truth by my good friend Nadia (@nadialking on Instagram) is the harrowing tale of one girl and how bullying affects her, inspired by the sad, real-life story of Amanda Todd. Despite being a short read, I think it has a great moral and I really felt for Jenna - what she goes through is sadly what a lot of young people go through at school and with the Internet so accessible to teenagers these days, cyber bullying is a real issue.

The story is short but powerful, dyslexia-friendly and
Gina
Sep 13, 2016 rated it liked it
This book is very real. It is a story based on the life of Amanda Todd. Cyberbullying is a real problem affecting teens. I really hope this story raises awareness!!!
Erika
--I received this as an ARC in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts are purely my own and not influenced in any way--

Let me start by saying that I think my expectations were set a little too high for this story so there was no way to go but down. That said, this book REALLY did not work for me. First off, the story really needed to be fleshed out a lot more than it was. As it stands, Jenna went from near assault to suicidal to okay in about four pages and in universe about three days.
Sonia Bellhouse
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
A slender volume that I was able to read in one sitting. An updated and expanded version ( half as much again) will be released by Nadia L King's new publisher Serenity Press in April 2018
The book was written in response to the tragic suicide of Amanda Todd a US teenager who was bullied to death.
Jenna's Truth is a powerful story and one which is very relevant for today's 'teens and their concerned parents.
Written in the first person it feels authentic. When Jenna is befriended by a popular

• The Everlasting Sunday
  • The Yearbook Committee
  • #single: Dating in the 21st Century
  • The Black Coats
  • The Girl I Used to Be
  • Hot Asset (21 Wall Street #1)
  • Hard Sell (21 Wall Street, #2)
  • The Sunday Story Club
  • State of Fear
  • Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life
  • Royally Marooned (Royally, #1.5)
  • Invisible Boys
  • Little Secrets
  • Sweet Valley High: Academic All-Star?
Australian author, Nadia L King was born in Dublin, Ireland. She is a children’s author and short story writer who believes passionately in the power of stories to make the world a better place.

Her books for children include “Claire Malone Changes the World” (an empowering and inspiring picture book for young children) and “Jenna’s Truth” (a real and raw story of cyberbullying for young adults).
“Tracing the pattern of the blanket with my fingertips, I decide to give myself another chance. I think I'm going to be kinder to myself; more accepting. I need to learn to live my life my way.” 1 likes
“You have so much potential. You don't know it yet but there are important things you have to do with your life. You are here for a reason and you will touch people with your life and what you choose to do...Your life matters.” 0 likes