Start by marking “Josie's Coat” as Want to Read:
Josie's Coat

Josie's Coat

A woman with shoulder bones as sharp as an eagle’s talons—bones almost protruding from her skin—opens her mouth as wide as it’ll go, impossibly wide, consuming the pill that takes both of her arms to cradle. The nourishment makes her thin stomach pop out like she’s pregnant with a child so large it’ll burst through her stomach. She swallows slowly and licks her lips. Her e ...more
Published September 9th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Josie's Coat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Josie's Coat

Start your review of Josie's Coat
Alexa
This was an incredibly creative and well-written sci-fi retelling of a Biblical story I am only sort of familiar with. I can't really judge it from a religious or even a retelling perspective since I don't really know the original, but as a sci-fi novella it was great, and it even had a happy/positive ending, so fuck yes to all of this.
Kristin
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Josie is skilled at her job as an "unfortunate" who inhabits the bodies of her clients to perform their work while they sleep. This is a very cool premise. I'm not a huge sci-fi reader but I followed the story well enough. There were a few times, where I was a bit confused, but not so much that I put the book down. Josie's coworkers’ are cruel and jealous over her success leads to her enslavement and the loss of her dream-worker status. And if you believe in karma or 'what goes around, comes aro ...more
Storme Reads A Lot
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
This story had such an interesting premise. Josie is a dream worker who excels at her job, but she is punished because she does better than her fellow workers. It's a story which contains a lesson of what goes around comes around in some ways, but she rises above the selfishness of others to become a benevolent figure. I must admit I was a little disappointed it was so short. I would love to see some expansion and find out more about this world. I would even love a little bit more of a peek into ...more
Rowena Fortuin
This is a gender-swapped SciFi retelling of Joseph's coat of many colours. Josie is a dreamworker who inhabits the bodies of others while they work. I love the story of Joseph's coat of many colours and enjoyed this book. I'm not a SciFi reader, but it's a creative and interesting retelling.
Daiz
Sep 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
I was offered a review copy of Josie's Coat in exchange for an honest review.

Okay first of all…I went into Josie's Coat not knowing/remembering a whole lot about the original biblical Joseph tale….so I'm not the best person to discuss how Josie's Coat fares as a retelling.

I do have some conflicting feelings about Josie's Coat…I think it was a very interesting read and really the only thing that really fell short was that the fact that the story itself was so short. I thought the sci-fi premise w
Kira Brighton
*Received free e-copy as a part of YASH*

A solid writing style and an awesome concept--I mean, a genderswapped sci-fi retelling of the Biblical story of Joseph? I just wish it had been longer and more fleshed out. I wanted to understand the world a little more.
Shakera
Oct 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Josie's Coat was a quick and easy read with nice and simple writing. It's a nice story of how karma works. It was easy to follow along and a great start to something bigger. I would like to see where this goes.
Annelise Lestrange
Sep 04, 2016
Lezli
Sep 15, 2016
Amy McNulty
Sep 29, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Bekah
Christine
Oct 08, 2016
Elisa
Oct 09, 2016

• The Perfect Block (Jessie Hunt #2)
  • I Thought It Was Just Me: Women Reclaiming Power and Courage in a Culture of Shame
  • Forget Me Not (Loveless & Dunn #3)
  • Mine to Spell (Mine, #2)
  • Crimson Snow: A Short Story
  • She Belongs to Me (The Southern Collection, #1)
  • This Light Between Us
  • Tainted (The ARC, #1)
  • The Prince of Korin (The Kingdom of Korin, #1)
  • Someone to Watch Over Me (The Thorntons, #5)
  • Happiness is a Smoking Gun (Clarissa Spencer Cozy Mystery #1)
  • The Last Single Girl (Brew Ha Ha, #1)
  • The State of Grace
  • Executive Affairs (Sedona O'Hala #3.5)
  • Christmas Nights (Diamond Creek, Alaska, #6)
  • Stranger in Town (Sloane Monroe, #4)
  • Josephine Wins Again: A Novel
  • The Gifts of Imperfection
Amy McNulty is an editor and author of books that run the gamut from YA speculative fiction to contemporary romance. A lifelong fiction fanatic, she fangirls over books, anime, manga, comics, movies, games, and TV shows from her home state of Wisconsin. When not reviewing anime professionally or editing her clients’ novels, she’s busy fulfilling her dream by crafting fantastical worlds of her own.