Start by marking “Note to Self” as Want to Read:
Note to Self

Note to Self

In his New York Times bestselling memoir, A Work in Progress, Connor Franta shared his journey from small-town Midwestern boy to full-fledged Internet sensation. Exploring his past with humor and astounding insight, Connor reminded his fans of why they first fell in love with him on YouTube—and revealed to newcomers how he relates to his millions of dedicated followers.

Now
Published April 18th 2017 by Atria/Keywords Press

To ask other readers questions about Note to Self, please sign up.
chrissy
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
chrissy It is briefly mentioned for a second here and there, but it is definitley NOT focused on it to any extent. By the way, side note, this book was really…moreIt is briefly mentioned for a second here and there, but it is definitley NOT focused on it to any extent. By the way, side note, this book was really good, I highly recommend! (less)

Start your review of Note to Self
Nat
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was quite excited going into this because the promise of short essays, original photography, and poetry combined into one sounded right up my alley.

You might recognise Connor Franta from his popular YouTube channel, and in this diary-like look at his life since A Work In Progress, Connor talks about his battles with clinical depression, social anxiety, self-love, and acceptance; his desire to maintain an authentic self in a world that values shares and likes over true connections; his struggle
Mischenko
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To see this review and others please visit www.readrantrockandroll.com

This review may contain spoilers...

I decided to try Note to Self by Connor Franta because I had a free Audible credit and it sounded like something I would enjoy. I appreciate learning about other people and the struggles they've had in life and how they've endured them.

I went into this book fairly blind and didn't even know who Connor Franta was. My oldest son, who's a YouTuber did, and I can see this book being helpful to ol
Emilija
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It feels like I wrote this. Like, these are my thoughts. If for some reason you ever want an insight into my head, read this. This book is me in a nutshell.

I will definitely be going back to reread this time and time again.
Marius Paulsen (Antari-kun)
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, lgbtqia
This IS my new favorite book! Connor writes about emotions, feeling and everything in between just beautifully! I related to every piece of writing, every poem and every single photo, they were just mesmerizing. I love how this feels like a memoir, a true story and at the same time like something real happening in front of my eyes as I'm reading it! Franta has truly become one of my all-time favorite authors for sure! Connor, wherever you are, you are amazing and just THE BEST!
Andreea
Jun 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Cliched, self-pitying, self-indulgent-and-bordering-on-narcissistic, tortured artist type dribble wrapped in pastel colours and unoriginal photography. Next.
Sydney Rakestraw
Aug 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
Instead of writing a review, I'm just going to display some of the more egregious lines:

- [addressing himself] "You're a soulful guy, and you have to trust your instinct to lead you forward the same way Waze navigates drivers around Los Angeles."

- [addressing himself again] "You're a bud covered in snow in the garden of your mind."

- [after acknowledging his editors] "Not only I, but the world, thanks you."

- "I'm the most millennial person I know. *chuckles to self*" [He has a habit of describing
rachel ☾
Oh, Connor. This was... buddy, this was just not your finest work. I read A Work in Progress two years ago (or something like that), and adored how it was so authentically Connor. The tone, the wording, the pictures. It was like seeing a printed version of one of his videos. It was surprisingly touching and I got so much out of it. My copy is so sticky-noted, it isn’t even funny… so anyway, that was a sloppy segue me for to say: I adore Connor Franta (if you couldn’t already tell). His videos we ...more
celine (celinereads)
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
i gave note to self 5/5 stars because every word felt so raw and real. the photos in this book are so aesthetically pleasing. i usually don’t gravitate towards non-fiction literature but this book was recommended to me by a friend and it was everything i needed. while reading note to self, it felt like this book was a friend that understands what goes through my head sometimes.

i understand that note to self might not be everyone’s cup of tea but i also feel like there is a certain mindset/feeli
Emma
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This really got 3 1/2 stars for me. I'm gonna talk about it in my video today, but basically I wanted a bit more from it then I got. Still, it is beautiful with the photography and poetry interspersed which is why... 4ish stars
Jamie Scott
Apr 27, 2017 rated it liked it
why should I care to read a six page letter to Franta's older self?

an extremely self-indulgent book by the author.

however, great pictures, lovely poems and some interesting introspective ideas to think about.
weronika
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
probs the most suprising dissapointment of 2017 in terms of books ??
Krista Regester
Jun 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Firstly, this was a beautiful collection. Inside you will find poetry, photography, essays, and letters. I had never read or heard of Connor Franta before this memoir and he’s basically a normal guy just trying to figure stuff out, like what exactly he wants in life - and I can relate to that.
Taylor (Taylicious Reads)
I just want to talk about how excited I am for this novel.

As a content creator myself, there are so many thing that I sweep under the rug about my life; my eating disorder, anxiety, depression, my recovery from those things. The lies I told myself before I went to sleep, the lies that told me I was unloved. The thoughts of never being good enough, the bullying that I was victim to in elementary school and middle school. The threat on my life that was sent to me. They're things I choose not to t
Olivera
Jul 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
THIS WAS SO BAD OH MY GOD.
(a longer review will be up soon)
liam
May 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbtq, 2017

"this is an open diary. this gives my insides a voice through visuals and poetry, this is me spilled out on paper."

that line pretty much sums up this book. it's an open diary, and it's insanely dull . don't get me wrong, i like franta. i think his videos are good, but he is not a writer. it's simple: he cannot write. disagree with me all you like, that's my opinion. personally, i have no idea how this got published. oh, wait, i do! publishers will take any youtubers they can get to
Anna
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star
Connor's last book was great, but this one blew away all my expectations. It was so honest, and he really spoke the truth! Although it was about his life experience, a lot of it definitely resonated with me.

"None of us are stuck with the hand we are dealt. We can shuffle the deck and deal the cards out again. No one can tell you who you should be. You need to be the person you want to be. You are, quite simply, who you want to be. Think it. Own it. Be it."
Jeske
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
"You're a bud covered in snow in the garden of your mind. Just wait for spring."

really enjoyed this! connor's writing is genuine, clever and witty, and as someone who is new to poetry i loved his poems. also, the visuals in the book are just GORGEOUS and lighten up the darker pages. an absolute recommendation!
Maša
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017, nonfiction
Even though some of the chapters offer a bit deeper and interesting insight, the author mainly stays on the surface and sticks to the cliches. Some chapters and poems show that the thinking and idea might be there, but it was not developed or articulated enough.

The writing style itself does not help; it is full of an inner monologue that sounds basic and superficial while mostly addressing the reader which makes it sound somewhat patronising.
Conrad
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
The poetry and the stories were nice and funny. Also the book and pictures in it are so pretty.
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am a sucker for heart-to-heart messages!

And this one memoir is just that.
I don't know who the author is but he has let me into his world so easily letting me into his world with words and photographs.
(Oh, it started raining...dang, I have to make a cup of caffiene... actually the cup of cocoa/caffiene on the second page got me jealous!)

Continuing on, I just love how he writes.
It is just not about the events and the people that happened in his life.
I love how this memoir is focused on how he wi
Sadie Aldis
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
connor has done it again with another amazing, detailed, emotional read with lots of aesthetically pleasing pictures and poems with deep meaning.

please read this book for a closer look into connors experiences and thoughts about life, love, success, happiness and much more 📔💫💓
Emily
Aug 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
I couldn't finish this book. The pictures were beautiful and the amalgam of styles and layouts intrigued me and made me really want to read it, but its positive attributes end there. I knew nothing of Connor Franta or his YouTube-following or his previous writing beforehand, so I came in without bias.

The writing has no depth. There are at least dozens of other poetry works by young authors finding themselves and moving forward after heartbreak and trauma with actual writing talent who were not
Kevin (Irish Reader)
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Once again Connor blew me away with his writing. His books are so inspiring and so relatable. I also found his poetry to be beautifully written and full of raw emotion. This book was so aesthetically pleasing and just amazing. I am obsessed with Connor and his books!
Shane Murphy
Jun 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Mental health and the struggle with identity are important issues that need more people speaking about; and I do applaud Conor Franta for opening up about it. But glamourising them and jumping to the label of Depression so quickly and superficially is dangerous and does a disservice to those who are living with the condition and adds confusion to the conversation surrounding it, in my opinion.
Lauren
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
God, this spoke to me.

An incredible collection of essays, poems and photos that really resonated with me.

I had no idea who Connor Franta was before picking this up (I saw it in store and fell in love with the cover, HOW BEAUTIFUL IS IT?); I don't follow youtubers very closely but I am so glad I read this.

And it looks beautiful on my bedside table! Aesthetics, my friends.
•trista•
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I´ve never thought of a social media influencer as being a writer, thousands of YouTubers have written mediocre to not well thought out books. Especially, about their relatable struggles or life stories, but this one geez. I've given this book 5 stars because it really blew me out of the water, I'm subscribed to Connor but I've never been a stan I guess you could say. I've watched a handful of his videos and loved his light and easy going personality, but never really been interested in him, thi ...more
Alex (Pucksandpaperbacks)
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir, favorites, owned
Connor Franta writes a note to his younger self as well as added photos and poems that correlate with the chapters. This book impacted me so much and hit home for me in so many ways. I was crying by page 5 and sobbing at 160. I'm not one to ever cry at books but this was the first one to make me ugly cry. This was a book I really needed to read and i'm so glad I did. So, thank you Connor THANK YOU for writing this.

I devoured this book I was reading from 4pm to 4am. I couldn't stop, most times I
Alison
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it
I feel weird writing a review for this because it is basically his journal that has been published. A lot of these entries and poems were relatable, but not necessarily ground breaking. I enjoy this and managed to go through it in one sitting. I can see where some people may love this and others not so much. The photography was nice and I did find myself nodding to some of the entries and a few poems did catch my eye. But glad it wasn't overly long as it did become repetitive.
Beth
Jul 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF - The writing just didn't do it for me. The photography, however, was beautiful. I enjoyed the composition and lighting in many of the shots featured.
Karmen (readingoncloud9)

• The Amazing Book Is Not on Fire
  • The Boys I've Loved & The End of the World
  • Milk and Honey
  • Secrets for the Mad
  • Pillow Thoughts (Pillow Thoughts #1)
  • The Sun and Her Flowers
  • Adultolescence
  • Memories
  • Love Her Wild
  • Sea of Strangers
  • Almost Adulting: All You Need to Know to Get It Together (Sort Of)
  • Between You and These Bones
  • The Princess Saves Herself in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #1)
  • Really Professional Internet Person
Connor Joel Franta is an Internet sensation and global trendsetter with millions of followers on YouTube and many other social media platforms.

He is the founder of Common Culture Coffee and works closely with The Thirst Project, a charity that provides clean drinking water in Africa, for which he raised more than $230,000 in thirty days.

He also curates music from up-and-coming bands for his Commo