Start by marking “The P.U.R.E.” as Want to Read:
The P.U.R.E.

The P.U.R.E.

(The P.U.R.E. #1)

**Re-edited to launch a cozy-like series for the main character and female sleuth, Gayle Lindley. The hotter romance version with the white background cover is only available in paperback until those copies are gone.**

No one ever said Gayle Lindley’s first job would be a killer.

Fresh out of college, Gayle’s career path should follow the yellow brick road straight to the
ebook, Cozy Edition, 240 pages
Published August 14th 2016 by Spencer Imaginarium (first published April 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The P.U.R.E., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The P.U.R.E.

Start your review of The P.U.R.E.
Jill
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

P.U.R.E. Previously Undetected Recruiting Errors

When Gayle Lindley suspects a case of fraud in her auditing of a company's records, she sets out to play amateur sleuth. Dragging her friend and colleague Jon Cripps into her office-spying and eavesdropping, they've soon got more than fraud to worry about when the chief financial officer of the company they're auditing is murdered.

Written in the first person from the heroine's point-of-view, Gayle has a great voice. She curious, cheeky and fun. Jo
Aimee Laine
Nov 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Contemporary Romance fans
4.5 stars Darn those 1/2 star options!

About two years ago, I approached an unpublished author I'd 'met' online through a writing site. We traded novels. Mine: Little White Lies — a work IN progress and her The P.U.R.E. — a work already done. I read The PURE in about 2 days, editing and trading ideas and giving feedback and ultimately being one of those early, early beta readers.

And then, tada! Here it is for me to read again. While the storyline was the same, the new and improved version (rememb
J.C. Martin
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to J.C. by: Fans of romantic suspense
Isn't it wonderful when you read outside of your usual genre(s), and stumble upon an unexpected gem of a book you'd have missed otherwise? Well, THE P.U.R.E. is one such gem.

I have to admit, I wasn't entirely blown away by the blurb. It sounded like some sort of white collar crime thriller with business jargon I'd never understand. Well, my first impressions were partly true: much of the details of the white collar crimes committed and the discovery of them remain somewhat murky to me, but it de
R. Brennan
I've never been much of a fan of the contemporary romances or any type of Mystery/suspense, so I wasn't entirely sure how much I would enjoy this debut novel when I received the Advance Copy in my review email. As an avid reader of historicals and fantasy novels, I was curious to see if this one would really hold my interest in the same way as those types of stories generally do.

I was pleasantly surprised by The P.U.R.E. Not only did I enjoy the book alot more than I had expected, I actually fin
Julie Reece
Nov 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. The story is sexy, funny, and taught me never to be afraid to read outside my normal genre...

I was lucky enough to receive a pre arc of Ms. Gillian's book, The P.U.R.E a few weeks ago. I picked it up for the first time yesterday (yes, you read correctly) and read it in less than a day. I am an urban fantasy/paranormal romance girl at heart, so color me shocked when I found myself turning pages four hours later to see what happened next!

When new accounting hire Gayle Lindley, a
Tanecia
*I received this book as an ARC for an honest review from the publisher*

This review wont be a long one because I loved this book! When I read the blurb I really didn't think I would like this book but I was very surprised at how fast I fell into this story.

When you read the first page you are immediately taken in by the main character "Gayle" ease dropping on her co-worker and hearing some scandalous information that could incriminate her bosses and leave her with no job. Even though Gayle is a
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
3.5 Stars

This is Claire Gillian's first novel and it really was a fun mystery/romance to read.
I found myself getting drawn not only into the mystery of the story but also into the sweet romance between Gayle and Jon.

They were both great characters in their own way and I am so glad that they told each other about their feelings for one another.

Gayle was such a fun character to read about. She was funny and smart and a little bit of a trouble maker. I think there were times when her curiosity got
Jane
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012

I loved this book. It was a lot of fun right from the start. Told in first person by Gayle. She was can be very witty, very intelligent young woman and can get herself into some trouble from time to time, quite a bit really. Then you have swoon worthy Jon. He is smart, shy, handsome and has a few secrets your never sure what his story is. The story will grab you from the first page and keep you turning the pages wondering when the roller coaster ride will end. And it is a fun ride at th
Jennifer Eaton
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was offered a free advance copy of The P.U.R.E. from its publisher, I almost passed. I am not a mystery fan. I prefer something with lots of action and explosions. But I figured, what the heck, it’s free.

So, I sat down one day and began reading what I expected to be a dull, boring drama. Boy, was I in for a surprise.

Claire Gillian did an amazing job intertwining the overall mystery plot with the “Girl falling for the guy at the office” plot. Not being a mystery fan, I actually gravitated
Shy The WidowMaker
An awesome, engaging read. This was a great book. This book was the right mix of mystery,suspense and romance. I loved delving into the world of accounting through the eyes of Gayle. This isn't the type of book I would normally read but I'm so glad I did as I loved it. Gayle was such a character to adore. I loved her willingness to put herself out there, her fight to take on her harrasers, and her ability to do it all while falling in love with John. I loved that Gayle didn't let anyone talk dow ...more
J.A. Belfield
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5* from me for this one.
That knock down of the half star rating is most possibly due to my own lacking. Because I struggled slightly with the opening of this one. Not with the writing--that's smooth and fluid. But with keeping track of the corporate hierarchy and the who's who.
And (if I'm honest) I struggled to follow exactly what it was they were uncovering. I know this is everything to do with the fact I've never worked/had dealings with a corporate company and absolutely nothing to do wit
The TBR Pile *Book review site*
Full Review: http://thetbrpile.weebly.com/1/post/2...

I loved this story - both main characters appealed to me and I appreciated the build-up in their relationship. Gayle, with her petite blond Nancy Drew-ish snooping skills and Jon with his caveman, possessive, protective vibes were a great fit, both for each other and for the story they found themselves inside. I loved that they went from collegues to friends to lovers to partners in more than one way. I loved that Jon appreciated her brain and
Legolas68
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I can’t remember the last time I finished a book. Shameful for a writer, I know, but it’s the sad truth. When the opportunity came along to read and review an advanced reader copy of Claire Gillian’s The P.U.R.E. I still took it, hopeful that I’d be able to make it all the way through but honestly prepared for it to gather dust so to speak on the hard drive of my laptop. I am pleased to report that not only did I finish it but that I enjoyed the journey.

The P.U.R.E. (Previously Undetected Recru
Sandra "Jeanz"
Apr 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
MY REVIEW

I really enjoyed this book, I had been reading a lot of fantasy/paranormal so this was a nice change. It has mystery, suspense, danger and of course some romance! i actually couldn't bear to put this book down I started reading it around tea time and ended up taking my kindle up to bed and continued reading until I finished the book.
Gayle's relationship with Jon at the beginning of the book is mere work colleagues, but it grows into a true friendship when Gayle is being harassed by her
Terri Rochenski
Feb 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sparks, steam, & tension galore.

I don't normally go for contemporary romance, but seeing as how Ms. Gillian is a fellow JTP author and a Scribo bud, I had to buy it.

Well. I was impressed. Mystery, part thriller, & romance was all wrapped up with a light-hearted bow. Yes, I said light-hearted. The MC, Gayle, is a riot. Even while eaves dropping (hiding beneath a conference table)she's amused and making the reader smirk. She jokes with herself while fleeing a gun-toting murderer intent upon blowin
Alex Adams
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is exactly the book I needed this week: fast, funny, and clever. And a delicious surprise: the love interests actually like each other as people from the get-go.

Oh, Claire... Hurry up and write another one. *Taps foot*
Caroline
Jun 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read! A good dose of suspense and romance.
Emi Gayle
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: contemporary romance fans, adult, not YA
See my review at Aimee Laine ...more
Pam
Nov 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know much about accounting and I don't much care, either. But I didn't read this book to learn about that, now did I? I know the author is a number cruncher and, like me, does her research.

I love the character of Gayle because she was spunky and apt to get herself knee-deep in trouble. She's like a nerdy number guru with a passion for mystery and intrigue. Claire Gillian spins the yarn quite well in this one and, honestly, I don't want to give too much away.

I found the unfolding at the e
Stephanie Lawton
Apr 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun, fast-paced read from start to finish. Our heroine, Gayle, is a quirky and loveable character that reminded me a bit of Ally McBeal, but with more chutzpah. Jon was ... OK, let's be honest. He was sex on a stick. In a tie. (Think clean-shaven Joe Manganiello. RAWR.)

The two created a delightful team, chasing down bad guys, piecing together clues, then piecing together the nature of their evolving relationship. (Darwin would be proud.)

Gillian's knack for witty banter and humor is
Kathy
Apr 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've never been a big reader of romantic books but I might have to rethink that. This was a fun, fast moving, story. It has a little bit of romance nicely thrown into a LOT of suspense. The plot keeps you guessing the whole way.

For a new writer, this was very well done. I'll be on the lookout for anything by Claire Gillian in the future.
Jonelle
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Had a great twist at the end.
Romancing the Book
Reviewed by: Aubrey
Book provided by: Publisher
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

Review: I loved this book from start to finish. I did not want it to end. I would love to hear more about these characters in more books. Gayle is the kind of character that I love. She’s super strong, independent, smart and so witty that she has you laughing out loud so much. Jon is the perfect specimen of the perfect man: tall, dark, and smart. Gayle was open and talkative whereas Jon was more quiet and
Lynn
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book has a wee bit of a Rom Com feel mixed with the romantic suspense. Fairly cute if not actually plausible. It tests your suspension of disbelief. It wasn't anything too huge but there were several things that you know while reading would never really happen (view spoiler) ...more
Dale Long
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: authors-i-ve-met
I have to start off by saying that I don't normally read "romance" or "chick-lit" (for the record, I hate that label). I read this for the same reason I read other books I don't normally read, because I know the author.

With that out of the way, I have to say I was more than pleasantly surprised. Claire Gillian, for the most part, bucked the formula. Her characters were real and relatable. The story had good pace and it was clear she knew her stuff when it came to the internal workings of the bu
Marie
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-reviewed
Fast paced and thrilling, this romantic suspense keeps you on the edge of your seat from start to finish. When Gayle and Jon discover a plot to frame them for a heinous crime, they set out to prevent the perpetrators from ever succeeding. They find themselves caught up in a whirlwind of events, ultimately leading them to the truth about the crime. Gayle and Jon also find themselves confronting one another and exploring the depth of their relationship, giving way to passion and desire. Written wi ...more
S.J.
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
What a joy to read. It's smart. It's sassy. It's fun. I totally fell for Gayle too. She'll make you giggle as she takes you on a ride. There's several mysteries to unravel before you get to the satisfying end. I'm definitely looking forward to reading Purely Relative.
Svea
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was fun and funny! The book had a few technical issues that annoyed me (like taking photos with the camera...come on, an FBI agent should know better lol) but they didn't ruin the overall feeling of the book. I really liked Gayle and Jon was a sweetheart.
Saundra
May 17, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars, but I'm rounding down. The thing is, it takes a special author to write a compelling story about an accounting audit, and this one doesn't quite make it. The romance elements were good, and some of the sleuthing was fun, but parts dragged, the mystery wasn't very interesting, and the twist at the end was completely predictable and unnecessary-- seemingly thrown in for the sake of a twist, which, again, I predicted it from way early on in the book, so not so much of a twist after all.
Bargain Basement: 99 cents -- The P.U.R.E. 1 12 Sep 28, 2013 12:36PM
Q&A with Claire G...: What's a P.U.R.E.? 1 4 Mar 25, 2012 11:35AM
I write smart, witty stories for smart, witty readers.

An Air Force Brat born to southern parents, I've lived all over the place but seem to have settled in the Pacific NW in the Portland OR area. I've been married to the same man for over 20 years and we have 2 teenaged sons.

Reading-wise, I love romance (all genres and heat levels), chick lit, mysteries, and YA (dystopian and contemporary mostly)

The P.U.R.E. (2 books)