Start by marking “Liefdom: Path of the Monstrous Prince” as Want to Read:
Liefdom: Path of the Monstrous Prince

Liefdom: Path of the Monstrous Prince

(Perilisc)

Librarian's Note: Alternate-cover edition for ASIN B01FWP8WS4

A zealous guardian in a peaceful city, Gentry Mandrake is a fairy unlike any other. Cast out and hated for his differences, his violent nature makes him wonder at the purity of his soul. He hunts for belonging while fighting to protect the human child bound to him. Explore the mythical realm of The Veil, the grat
Published August 2016 by Amazon Digital Services (first published May 18th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Liefdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Liefdom

Richard Nell
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Overall 9/10

Maybe first I'll say I'm already a Jesse Teller fan, and Liefdom was the experience I've come to expect: raw, deeply creative, and dark. I really enjoyed it, and some of the more ambitious parts of the book blew me away. Largely what I enjoyed were the characters and the writing itself, so I'll focus mostly on these.

Setting/World-Building

A mix and match of epic fantasy and fairy-tale, yet somehow with an often realistic feel. The world feels large and complex with the sense that much
Dianne
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dark-fantasy
A fairy tale truly for adults? A tale of darkness, torture and even rape, there are no sweet fluttering wings that sparkle with joy and happiness, but there is an intricate tale of longing, wishes and dreams vs reality and the pain it brings. There is also loyalty and honor and they come from the most unusual of heroes. Jessie Teller’s LIEFDOM is THAT fairy tale for all adults, gritty enough for those who like grit and heartbreaking enough for those who get to know each character with their heat ...more
Kayla Krantz
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
~I received a free copy for my honest review~

I think the thing I love the most about fantasy books is that the reader doesn’t know what to expect during those first pages since they are being introduced to an entirely new world. This book is much the same way. From the very first pages, this book is different from anything else I’ve ever read before. The world that Mr. Teller has created in Liefdom is both captivating and descriptive, pulling me along with the main character (a fairy named Gentr
Susan Hampson
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my favourite of Jesse Teller’s novels so far as the story moves between the fairy realm of Fey and Perilisc. This is the horror of all fairy tales as each fairy has a human child whose life is connected to them. If the fairy gets injured then so does the child. If the child does wicked acts then the fairy is also wicked.
This is very much on the dark side as fairy tales go, with Mandrake who certainly doesn’t come with smiles and wishes but with a definite repulsiveness about him that ref
Lukasz
Oct 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Gentry Mandrake isn’t like other feys. He was born for war, nor for beauty. He is despised and rejected by almost all Liefdom inhabitants because of the way he looks. He regards himself as a monster. To make things worse, he knows the name of the child to whom he is linked. And it's a dangerous and forbidden knowledge.

Worlds of fey and human are closely linked but seperated by the Veil. When something happens to a child the same thing happens to its fey and vice versa. In order to save his home
Barry
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
*I received a free copy of this book via the author in exchange for an honest review*

Real life really got in the way of reading this book which is a shame because at another point in life I think I would have flown through this! I've read a few of Jesse Teller's books now and I think this is my favourite so far.

It's another strong opening in Liefdom as we are introduced to a royal child fighting for life as it is born. The book is a little bit of a departure from generic fantasy in that the sett
Tony Duxbury
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At first I found this a bit difficult, as at the beginning the story chops and changes, but continued and was soon drawn into the story. A very different and unusual tale with lots of magic and magical creatures. The author shows a deep imagination and skill in storytelling. This is one of the best tales I've read this year. I don't wish to add more as it might spoil it for other readers, but I would recommend this to all fantasy readers, whichever sub-genre they enjoy. Well done.
David Baird
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’m a massive fantasy fan I’m not going to lie. To me there’s so many possibilities with fantasy but at the same time this means you’ve really got to hit a high standard to have me enjoy the story.. Well Jesse Teller certainly delivered.

Mandrake isn’t like other fairies.. he’s different in so many ways, and isn’t accepted by anyone. Little do the fairies know Mandrake is their champion and their going to need him very soon.

What really fascinated me about the story was the connection between the
Rick Newland
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I rarely do reviews because I suck at it. I have to say something about this book though. I loved it! Get yourself a copy of this book and read it. You won't regret it.
Shalini Nemo
Apr 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
There are lot of great ideas in this book. I like the part where each child born is linked to a fairy, but among humans this has devolved into myth and among fairies it is not spoken of. The basic arching plot is an adventure quest to save the world which actually works well.

I really like the ideas here. Warrior fairies, Hellscapes, The Veil, most intriguing.

The execution leaves much to be desired, however. I believe if the author invests in a good editor, at least for this particular book, I t
Tiffany
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The world this story takes place in has the same breadth and depth you see in Tolkien and Robert Jordan. It sweeps you along into the story with vivid characters and compelling prose. I will say, though, that this book is dark fantasy. There are parts you'll not like if you're more into sunshine and rainbows (like me!) However I couldn't bear to give it any less than five stars because it was so well written. It was one of those books that once you get into it, it's hard to put down.
J.L. Smith
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Looking at both Chaste and Liefdom in comparison after having read both, the lead-ins contain the elements of adventure and action, jumping right into a graphic, daring situation about which you just have to learn more. I’ve always been a fan of that. I love it when a story jumps right in.

For example, Liefdom begins with the (to say the least) traumatic birth of Thomas Nordoc. His mother, the queen, begs for her life and that of the life of her unborn child. I read this scene mouth agape, so in
Bekah (bmango)
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dark, fantasy, fairies

This book was surprising as I hadn't expected so much from the description - intense storyline, amazing descriptive writing, wonderfully imaginative world, and well-rounded, complex characters that I loved, or loved to hate. If you like tales of fairies and demons, wizards and magic, and battles against impossible odds, then this story is for you.
Karola
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Very enjoyable read, fast-paced and well written with some interesting characters and worlds. I like that many of those characters are a bit ambiguous and you cannot make up your mind if you can trust them. Even the evil characters you kind of feel for them (sometimes). It takes a while to understand how everything fits together so it can be a bit confusing at the beginning but then everything is slowly revealed and then it all makes sense.

For me I would have liked a bit more on everything. So s
Ame Terra
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am open to just about anything. I’ll eat anything (but meat), listen to anything (but country songs about loving your tractor) and read anything (no “but” to insert here). Being an “open reader” means I don’t bother to read reviews before diving in. I dove into Liefdom and forgot to come up for air. Gasping at the finish, I decided to read the reviews. No warnings. No safety card in your seat back pocket. No oxygen mask from the overhead compartment. Nothing would have forewarned me of the tri ...more
N.N. Light
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I’m a huge fantasy fan and this dark tale doesn’t disappoint. A warrior fairy who has an evil streak? A mega evil wizard who makes Saruman from Lord of the Rings look like a pre-school teacher? Count me in!

Liefdom blends everything I love in a dark fantasy: an unlikely hero, a frightening antagonist who gives me nightmares, magic, stakes higher than the Empire State Building, incredible action scenes and the spiritual ramifications of good versus evil.

Teller has a true gift for weaving intricate
Jason Hubbard
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If J. M. Barrie and H. P. Lovecraft had a baby (how? through some kind of magic, I dunno), it would be something like Liefdom, a story with fairies with extremely eerie, skin-tingling elements such as demons, torture and rape. Definitely not for kids, in spite of the impression the watercolor cover art may give you.
Like the works of H. P. Lovecraft, the story explains how its fantasy world works a little at a time, trying not to fill the story with too much exposition all at once. This may lead
Aldun
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liefdom is a competent piece of dark Fantasy.

The plot kicks off fast without any clumsy exposition slowing it down. If anything, the pace feels a little too fast at times, since a host of characters are introduced in rapid succession without much time to establish all their respective personalities. As a consequence, some chapters feel very rushed. For example, there is love at first sight, which would have benefited from a slower approach.

The style is concise and omits lengthy descriptions whi
Traci Curran
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fairies like you have never imagined before. This book has it all. It spans through two worlds and the main character has to navigate both of them to save innocence as well as to win the love of his life. Fighting horrors and negotiating with leaders, there is no feat to great or small. The writing is so captivating that it is impossible not to be in the moment in every single situation. A good book will give the reader some time away from their own lives, a great book will have them experiencin ...more
Charles McGarry
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Much Needed Adventure

This book is truly a brilliant tale! Teller's command of written prose is stunning. Every word drips meaning and description. The dark forces of wizardry and Fae are just as complex and captivating as that of the forces of goodness and light. The dark wizard Vrice is a fascinating character, and the Fae Mandrake is written with such emotion and cunning that he completely steals the show. The supporting characters are equally well written. Every description of the world and
Erica Robyn
*Full Disclosure* I was given a copy of the ebook in exchange for an honest review.

In fantasy reads, I really need a lot of world building and a lot of character development right at the start in order for me to get invested in the story. Unfortunately, I felt that this book had neither. I read about a quarter of this book, hoping that things would become more clear to me... But I must have missed something. I had to call it because I was just so lost and uninterested.
Kevin Gallagher
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Blending together the apparent innocence of the fairy world with horrors you might not expect, this story screams out to be read, and you’ll be happy to oblige. Teller’s lifelong passion for fantasy is delightfully apparent throughout this story. Every page is just as interesting as the last, and it’s no surprise why people are entertained by the tale.
Rebekah
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: perilisc, favorites
Liefdom is truly an amazing book! I feel so connected to the characters. My heart rises and falls with their triumphs and struggles. Perilisc is a unique world, richly developed. It's a refreshing new take on fantasy cultures.
Ooha Biddala
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Gentry Mandrake was born different. He was a fey, but, neither beautiful nor delicate. He flies to his family yearning for love, but, is met with rejection at every turn. The darkness inside him that scares him and tantalizes him in equal degree is yawning wide and as the world of man begins to dip perilously close to hell, he has to decide whether to protect his innocence in The Veil or enter the darkness like the warrior he was born to be.

Firstly, credit where credit’s due: this book saved me
Heather
Mar 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
TW: Rape

Full Review: http://heathersreadinghideaway.blogsp...

Quick Review: I really disliked the writing in this book. It made the story harder to follow. I think the story itself had potential but the writing was too choppy and unclear. It was hard to picture the story in my head because of the lack of world building. There are also an abundant of unnecessary rape scenes that didn't bring anything to the story besides the shock factor. I do not recommend this book.
Avid Bookivore
Brilliantly Fantastical!
I will start off by saying that I am a humongous fantasy fan and I had very high hopes for this book...I'm glad to say that the author delivered all of my expectations, down to the last word in the last sentence of the last page! I'm literally mind blown at the amount of action and magic the author weaved, without it all jumbling together. The plot was intricate, the characters were well-developed, the pace was perfect and the tone was definitely dark but entertaining! Je
Travis Tenschert
May 20, 2016
Cyrene Olson
Apr 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Uncaged Book Reviews:

I found this book quite hard to get into from a new reader to Jesse Teller work. Although the storyline was impressive, the lack of knowledge of the characters in this book was a letdown for me. It did have plenty of gore and violence. If you are used to reading Jesse Teller’s other books and know of the background of the characters that would make up the mythical realm of the veil, you will love this book.
I did like the sound of the wizard in this book and if there was a b
Josephine
Apr 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-review, indie
I’m not exactly a big fan of fairies, but after reading the sample chapters, I had to keep going. Mandrake is unlike any fairy. He is repulsive to the eye and nose, much larger than those of his kind, and his existence itself is said to bring violence and turmoil. He is rejected and cast out of his royal family and scorned and humiliated by all who lay eyes on him. Yet, when an advancing menace threatens the entire kingdom, he steps up to fight for their survival because he still sees them as hi ...more
Cyril Patrick Feerick