Start by marking “His Make-Believe Bride (Texan Brides)” as Want to Read:
His Make-Believe Bride (Texan Brides)

His Make-Believe Bride

(Texan Brides #1)

She’s a bride with a secret as big as Texas…

Published October 25th 2016 by Lyrical

To ask other readers questions about His Make-Believe Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about His Make-Believe Bride

Start your review of His Make-Believe Bride (Texan Brides)
Diamond Jones - Cox
This was a really cute story to read I just wish it was longer. Linnea was a young widow who pretended to be someone else to escape a past a late husband created. When her marriage filled with lies came to a crossroad she had a big decision to make. Run or stay and tell the truth to her new husband and hope it's enough love for him to forgive her.
No Apology Book Reviews
I would like to thank Martha Hix, Lyrical Press, and Kensington Publishing Corporation for allowing me to read this novel in exchange for an honest review.

Linnea Powell is looking to escape the scandal of her past and scavenge what she can of a good life. As she flees west, she makes the acquaintance of Ermentrude Flanders, who was headed west herself to marry Samson Kincaid, a prosperous rancher. Miss Flanders, however, has changed her plans, and Linnea seizes the opportunity to take her place
Gaele
The book’s tagline is “she’s a bride with a secret as big as Texas”, and I couldn’t help but feel that her secret was her backstory. Let me explain, while the book itself was enjoyable, it didn’t reach the level of must read on for me. Much of this seemed to tie to the fact that it feels as if there is more that we needed to know of Linnea’s story – pieces that would have flushed out her character and given me a reason to want to know more…. In fact, want to know her ‘secret’.

Now I couldn’t be
Amanda Richardson
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Martha Hix's "His Make-Believe Bride", but it wasn't a home run book for me. Linnea is a widow whose husband died in a scandal and she is hoping for a new start in Texas. She is offered a unique opportunity to switch identifies with a mail-order bride who doesn't really want to get married. So she does.
Her husband-to-be Sam Kincaid is expecting an 18 year-old virgin and he gets widowed 23 year-old Linnea. He may have exaggerated his circumstances to his mail-order bride so Linnea
Bethany
I’m being nice with two stars, because the initial plot and setting aren’t bad. But the execution is shallow and flat, as well as amateur. Yeah, it’s a novella, so there isn’t much time to develop characters and plot, but it was entirely possible and just didn’t happen. Also, time skipped often, and the characters started with one personality and suddenly changed to another with no reason. The plus side of this was that I didn’t have to skim the text — I read it in a flash.

Again, I only read
Rachel Chiapparine
I picked up this book in the Nook store on my tablet because it was on sale for $0.99 and because I wanted a cute romance. My personal review of the book follows:

The book is in my personal opinion is a sweet romance with likeable characters. I was a bit confused about the backstory of some of the characters other than that I really enjoyed it the ending was so cute. Overall I personally rate this book a 7 and half out of 10.
Kazia
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was an alright story. There were some details that were... blatant? And it was partly refreshing because it was unique but it was also... off putting? I also felt a little awkward with the couple... Hm.
T. Martin
Aug 11, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF
Julie's WILD
Enjoyed the romance, love the path it took towards end. Love the character building! Spunk ...more
Amy Alvis
Jan 21, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I could not finish it....
Gigi staub
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
She’s a bride with a secret as big as Texas…

Widowed and alone, Linnea Powell agrees to swap places with a reluctant mail-order bride. Arriving in Lubbock, Texas, armed only with her future husband’s letters promising a prosperous life, Linnea feels hopeful—until the stagecoach leaves her standing before a handsome stranger who has more ambition than he does prospects. Still, Linnea accepts Sam Kincaid’s proposal, knowing the moment he seals their vows with a hungry kiss, she’ll never be able
Krystal
While this was a cute and fast read (I read it in under a day), it wasn't an immediate favorite. In fact, I would say that this story hit a solid middle of the road for me.

On one hand, while there are sex scenes, they aren't explicit, nor do they take up more space than necessary in the overall story. The characters were ok, there was a little too much dishonesty and omission than I would have liked, however what really did me in was the the overall story reminded me too much of the old story
Patty Nobles
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Martha Hix latest novel is a fast-paced read that showcases the lengths that people will go to in order to find security and hopefully love in the hardscrabble world of the United States at the turn of the century. In “His Make-Believe Bride,” Linnea Powell finds herself at a crossroads of sorts when she must decide to accept the position of a maid after her philandering husband left her high on dry after his death, or assume the identity of a mail-order bride who would rather go to medical ...more
Dalene
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who loves historical romance
First, I would like to thank Lyrical Press for gifting me this book through netgalley. I enjoyed this novelette. The characters are well developed and written. The storyline is good. I look forward to reading more books by Martha Hix.
Cariadne
Oct 21, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I usually enjoy the mail-order bride/false identity fall-in-love bit, but the writing by Martha Hix was too hokey for me to fall in love with this O. Henry Texas-style tale.
Kate Carney
Nov 13, 2016
Wendy Keel
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a surprise for me. I just randomly picked it to read, without reading the blurb, and was surprised to find it a truly enjoyable read. The characters are well-written and engaging. The story is believable. And you find yourself hoping and wishing right along with the characters. There are secrets on both sides of the story and things for each to consider before they can find their HEA. However, throughout the story you are rooting for them find love. I truly enjoyed everything about ...more
Jill
Apr 21, 2018
Sydnee Walsh
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting story.
Jane Diede
Joanne Hyzy
Jul 03, 2017
Vicky Thurston
Feb 27, 2017

• Elof's Mission (Grooms with Honor, #9; Montana Sky)
  • Fergus' Honor (Grooms with Honor, #2)
  • Helen Heals a Hotelier (Brides with Grit, #10)
  • Nolan's Vow (Grooms with Honor, #8; Montana Sky)
  • Hilda Hogties a Horseman (Brides with Grit #3)
  • Cate Corrals a Cattleman (Brides with Grit #6)
  • Sarah Snares a Soldier (Brides with Grit #5)
  • Cora Captures a Cowboy (Brides with Grit #4)
  • Darcie Desires a Drover (Brides with Grit #7)
  • Tina Tracks a Trail Boss (Brides with Grit #8)
  • Lorna Loves a Lawyer (Brides with Grit #9)
  • Rania Ropes a Rancher (Brides with Grit, #1)
  • Millie Marries a Marshal (Brides with Grit, #2)
  • Grooms with Honor Series, Books 10-12
  • Gabe's Pledge (Grooms with Honor, #3)
  • Angus' Trust (Grooms with Honor, #1)
  • Faye Favors a Foreman (Brides with Grit #11)
  • Amy Admires an Amish Man (Brides with Grit #12)
I’m a Texan. Born and bred. I wish I could say I grew up on a cattle ranch or had pump jacks working in my backyard, but I can’t. I’m from Dallas. My people were doctors, lumbermen, a tinker, merchants, plus a guy in Corrigan who owned a hotel-bar-livery stable. He also ran his own personal loan agency.
But I did have the good fortune to spend a great deal of time all over the state as a child, a

Texan Brides (3 books)
  • His Rip-Roarin' Bride (Texan Brides #2)
  • His High-Stakes Bride (Texan Brides #3)